Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cloud is Dead (Final Fantasy VII CYOA)

Imperator

Scholar
B

Esquilax

Arcane
Random, can you describe what the Discipline skill does? Does it just mean the ability to stay calm under fire and do the correct thing in pressure situations?

Elfberserker

Liturgist
C>B

Lets try to divert some monsters away, if I remember right we shoul have observation skill level 1 or is that appliable in this situation.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Random, can you describe what the Discipline skill does? Does it just mean the ability to stay calm under fire and do the correct thing in pressure situations?

It's a mental control skill, sort of one's ability to control oneself even in times of stress and pressure. You can think of it as a passive effect that reduces mental-based penalties (such as from fear, compulsions, etc.) to your actions, and it also directly governs rolls made to exert extraordinary willpower and push yourself to the limit. It's very important for an intelligence focused character like Westford.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Cant we try to bypass the lock in elevator? Some comp or electronic roll?

And i expect that lab should have some security measure in case of sample escape. Some of them are rare so i guess they should have some sleeping gas nades or potent tranquilizer to capture them without damage, or some system letting gas the sample room. Stun baton would work to i guess, knowing Hojo he would consider undamaged samples highest priority.

You can try to hack the executive elevator's hardware, but the main computer (and the software) is on floor 70.

There are some security measures, but they are mostly lockdown chambers and tranquilizing gas in the sample cells. The expectation is that they would never escape in the first place.

Baltika9

Arcane

It's a mental control skill, sort of one's ability to control oneself even in times of stress and pressure. You can think of it as a passive effect that reduces mental-based penalties (such as from fear, compulsions, etc.) to your actions, and it also directly governs rolls made to exert extraordinary willpower and push yourself to the limit. It's very important for an intelligence focused character like Westford.
On that note, I don't know anything about Shinra's military peacekeeping organization, so I fell like I must ask to avoid dumb assumptions: our character's Ranger class is pretty much the same thing as the real-world special forces/elite infantry organizations like the US Rangers/DEVGRU/GSG-9/French Foreign Legion/SAS asskickers that get sent into the field and expected to solve their missions with their own cunning and ingenuity, right?

Random

Arcane
Patron
On that note, I don't know anything about Shinra's military peacekeeping organization, so I fell like I must ask to avoid dumb assumptions: our character's Ranger class is pretty much the same thing as the real-world special forces/elite infantry organizations like the US Rangers/DEVGRU/GSG-9/French Foreign Legion/SAS asskickers that get sent into the field and expected to solve their missions with their own cunning and ingenuity, right?

Don't think too much of the class. It's just your character's predisposition in terms of stats. However, that being said, Ranger is the closest class type to what someone from IRL special forces would be like, yes.

Because Shinra has literally conquered the world (after subjugating Wutai in a huge decade-long war, which is FF7 Japan, the last independent nation in the world), it has downscaled its military a great deal and put its focus on more specialized troops dedicated to anti-monster operations. Monsters are a serious threat around the world and the only organization capable of dealing with them on a global scale happens to be Shinra. Culling, patrolling, and extermination operations are very common. When a strong monster pops up, SOLDIER is sent in to take it out to protect the nearby communities.

Random

Arcane
Patron
I'm on vacation at the moment, it's hard for me to get to a computer. I'll continue when I get home tomorrow.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Chapter 1: The Hero Returns, Part III

You decide that the woman is probably right this time. You are trained in stealth and need to hurry, there's no time to be tactical about it. You could say that the best tactical option is sometimes the simplest and least thought-out one. Right? You're pretty sure someone famous said that. Maybe. Or you came up with it on the spot. It's hard to tell anymore.

"Let's just try to get through there undetected. If we can make it to the stairs, we should be safe. The president's guards should have floor 68 locked down tight, regardless of monsters," you tell the woman. "By the way, what is your name?"

She blinked at you like she had been waiting for you to ask that for a while. "Tifa. My name is Tifa Lockheart."

"Oh. Cool. I'm Marcus Westford," you reply, creeping up to the warehouse doors. You can plainly see the monsters roaming around the place, but they are also fighting over some corpses. You slowly push the door open and hold it for Tifa to sneak through, before carefully releasing it and diving for some crates for cover. The door swings back and forth a few times, attracting the attention of a few monsters, but because they don't see anything, they return to what they were doing before. Tifa takes the lead, crouched down and peeking out from around the boxes to check if the coast is clear. Judging by her skill at this, she is definitely well-trained and experienced at sneaking missions. Just like AVALANCHE. She scoots across the concrete floor to another piece of cover, and gives you the go-ahead to follow. You do so, and thanks to your agility, you don't make a single sound as you cross to her. She crawls forward and does the same routine as before, and you and she make your way through the large storage area with little issue.

When you're about thirty meters away from the exit into the main laboratory, which then leads to the stairs up to safety, you suddenly get the feeling that someone is watching you. You glance around uneasily, and when you glance over your shoulder, you literally fall onto your back with surprise. A man with wild red hair and designer sunglasses resting in his hair grins at you playfully and holds a finger up to his lips. He's wearing a suit that probably costs more than you make in a year, except it's totally unkempt, with his shirt untucked, collar open, and his jacket unbuttoned. Behind him is a bald man with a gold earring in one ear and a similar suit, except he's actually wearing it properly. His gaze is hidden under the sunglasses sitting on his nose. He also holds his gloved finger up to his mouth, though with no facial expressions whatsoever. You have absolutely no idea who these two are, but at least they're not enemies... you think.

You return to your crouched position and turn to tell Tifa, but she's already glaring at them with purposeful anger. Apparently she recognizes them. You think she might just leap at them to kill them right now, but common sense seems to keep her from doing something suicidal like that. The redhead points at the door, making it clear that he also wants to get there. The problem is, there's no cover between the place you're hiding and the door. That's thirty meters of open ground where you will invariably be seen and alert the horde. The red head guy seems to realize the issue, so he taps his compatriot behind him twice, and nods to him. The bald man nods back, pulling some sort of grenade out from his suit coat pocket. He pulls the pin, removes the striker lever, waits three seconds, and lobs it over the crates to the other side of the warehouse, then gives the universal military handsign for "go". The four of you sprint for the door just as the explosion goes off and the entire horde of mutant freaks has its attention focused on the opposite end of the room.

Unbelievably, all three of your allies totally outpace you and get to the door at least seven seconds before you do, and you're sprinting with all of your might and with almost no burden. You can't believe how physically capable they all are. It's ridiculous! They can't be human! Are they ex-SOLDIER or something? Your thoughts are interrupted by the screeching of the horde behind you. Apparently they turned around and detected you, surprise surprise. Of course, if you could run as fast as the other three you'd be safely behind the lab door by now, but some things just aren't possible. You can hear those mutant hound things making their horrific bark/screams and bounding at you much faster than a human could ever move. You wish you had something more to give, but your muscles just don't have the power you need right now.

The redhead guy holds the door open for you, waving and shouting, "hey, hurry up man!" You'd like to shout any kind of profanity at him, but right now all the oxygen in your lungs is taken up with the run of your life. Then, you finally reach the door, and he slams it shut behind you and locks it by waving his ID Card over the card reader, while his comrade pushes a huge cart full of lab equipment against the door to barricade it. "Whew! That was a close one!" the redhead says with a cocky grin. "I almost closed the door on you!"

"Thanks for not doing that," you say somewhat sullenly.

"Name's Reno, and my buddy here is Rude. You two are the first two survivors we've found on our hike up the building," Reno says, more towards Tifa than towards you. Tifa doesn't seem to give him the time of day. "Hey, what's wrong? Still sad that your friend got killed?"

"No. I just don't like you," Tifa says.

"Awww, come on, babe. We're all on the same side here. Someone attacked the building and let all of Doctor Hojo's experiments loose, and those samples have slaughtered their way down to the third floor. Our organization is busy cleaning up the samples that got loose right now. Me and Rude are here as the vanguard, to find survivors, like President Shinra, if we're lucky. And also Hojo's favorite new sample," Reno explains, casually walking up the stairs and looking around. "Looks like this place got attacked too. I do wonder where this blood trail leads." Reno pointed at the blood that led up the stairs, to floor 68, the main laboratory. The four of you head up and find the lab. The place is a complete mess, with the scars of battle everywhere, and a giant monster's corpse in the middle of the room.

Rude briskly heads past some broken vats, towards what looked like a giant monster corpse, looking around it. "Reno," Rude says flatly. "Here." He reaches down and grabs something, pulling it out for everyone to see. It is a person. A woman, with beautiful brown hair and a pretty pink dress accented with emerald eyes. Her face was puffy and red. She has been crying recently. She doesn't react much aside from looking at you and the others wearily, for just a moment, then immediately staring at the ground. She seems almost catatonic.

"Aeris!" Tifa shouts, running up to her and grabbing her away from Rude. "Are you alright?" she asks. Aeris doesn't respond, she just stares at the ground with dead eyes.

"So this is the last of the Cetra," Reno mutters. "Guess we got lucky. How'd she kill that thing?"

"Red XIII..." Aeris says, weakly, barely audible.

"She must mean this," Rude says, dragging a fire red creature out from under the corpse of the monstrous experiment. The creature looks like a cross between a lion and a wolf. However, there are gaping gashes in its side, presumably inflicted by the monster. On its thigh, a tattoo with the word "Red" and the number thirteen in roman numerals is engraved. It is dead, its body limp, and its eyes sealed shut eternally.

"Ah geez, I feel sorry for the poor guy. Pretty brave of him to protect her," Reno says, scratching his head. Rude nods in agreement. "But hey, what's up with the Cetra? She seems kinda distant, not at all like when we captured her," Reno observes. Rude shrugs.

"You people did something to her, didn't you?!" Tifa snarled in outrage.

"Hey, don't look at us, our job was just to get her to Hojo. Now, Hojo might have done something creepy, don't get me wrong, he's a weirdo and stuff, I ain't gonna defend him," Reno says, holding his hands up as a sign of peace.

"Aeris! Aeris! Can you hear me?" Tifa says desperately, waving her hand in front of Aeris's eyes to try and get her to react. There is no response. There is suddenly a smash at the door. The monsters are still trying to get in.

"Hey, we gotta move, floor 68 should be safe with the president's guards and stuff," you say. Reno and Rude glance at you and nod, accepting your logic. Tifa doesn't give her consent to the idea, but doesn't deny it, either.

"What did you say your name was, again?" Reno asks.

"Marcus, Marcus Westford."

"Westford. What are you doing here?"

"I was in one of the holding cells on this floor, converted into a makeshift medical room... I was here when AVALANCHE attacked."

"Oh, a survivor of the original attack. Where's Wallace?" Reno asked.

"Wallace?"

"You know, the big black guy, has a machine gun arm, leader of AVALANCHE, first name's Barrett."

"Oh. We locked him in a cell where he'd be safe."

"I see. Well, that's interesting to know. I'll radio the boss and tell him that. But right now, let's get moving. I just hope you're right about the president's guards..." Reno said.

Reno took the lead, while Rude took the rear guard. Tifa gave Aeris her shoulder and helped support her as they walked ahead of you. You felt way out of the loop right about now.

"Hey, uh, who are you guys, anyways?" you ask the bald man behind you.

"We're the Investigation Sector of the General Affairs Department," Rude answers. You know exactly who that is, despite the pretty meaningless name. These guys are Turks. The baddest of the bad, who dabble in espionage, assassinations, kidnappings... you name it, they do it. They have a reputation for being professionals who always get the job done, even if it means killing their own families. At the moment, you're quite happy that your survival has not conflicted with their mission. The party moves on to the next set of stairs, and you ascend to floor 69. You arrive at the top of the stairs, expecting some sort of guarded barricade. Instead, there is only more corpses, and the trail of blood, that continues up the winding stairs to the President's office - floor 70. With a growing sense of foreboding, you follow everyone as they climb the last flight of stairs in this godforsaken tower. When you finally reach the top, you aren't sure what to do or say.

The President is dead. He lays limp in his chair, with a peculiar curved, thin, and impractically long blade embedded in his torso. Judging by his face, he died in a state of horror. Pure horror.

"Oh no," Tifa says, clasping her hand over her mouth in a state of visible shock and fear. "Oh no, no no no..."

"What? What is it?" you ask, completely out of the loop now.

"That sword is the Masamune!" she says. The Turks are in a similar state of shock.

"What's that?"

"Sephiroth's sword!" Reno says, completely aghast. Rude takes off his sunglasses to get a better look, his mouth agape.

"Wait, the Sephiroth!?" you say. Of course you know who that is. The Great Hero, Sephiroth. The guy who single-handedly broke the stalemate of the Wutai War. The first SOLDIER, the guy who is the poster child for the SOLDIER program, that everyone wants to be when they grow up. He died four years ago, on a routine monster hunting mission, supposedly. But judging by how stunned the people around you are, that must not be the whole truth. You look around. The President of Shinra is dead, and these people are more concerned with a war hero who died four years ago.

You hear a helicopter touch down on the helipad on the balcony outside. Through the windows, you see a blonde man in a white suit climb out of the helicopter and walk into the room. He glances at the dead President, and the sword that killed him. "Sephiroth," he says. He glances at the Turks, then at Tifa, Aeris, and then at you. He seems to size you up and you feel a little nervous. He has an air of authority about him, whoever he is. He walks up to Reno. "He's already gone, then?"

"We didn't see him on the climb up here, President Shinra," Reno says.

"I'm not President yet. The company still has to be notified and the proper procedures have to be undertaken," the blonde man says. By now, you've already figured out that this is actually Rufus, President Shinra's oldest and only legitimate son. He had plenty of illegitimate ones, though, if the rumors were to be believed. He is the one who will take the late president's office. He is certainly a personality. "You. Who are you?" he asks you.

"Lieutenant Westford of the Shinra Peacekeeping Corps, sir. I'm assigned to defense of floors 60 through 66, though I was unconscious when the second attack happened," you answer, saluting him crisply.

"You survived the AVALANCHE attack? Not even the SOLDIER garrison did. I was told only a dozen troops survived, and half of them abandoned their posts before the attack reached them," Rufus says. He's clearly suspicious of you.

"I did not abandon my post, sir. I was off-duty at the time of the attack, and came back to try and stop it," you tell him.

"Can anyone corroborate your story?" Rufus asks.

"I'm sure the people who found me and gave me treatment after I fell unconscious could, but they might all be dead now," you admit. "Aside from that, the camera footage and the various after action reports should present more than enough evidence to prove what I'm saying."

"We found him on floor 67, sir. I doubt he got up there unless he was put there after the AVALANCHE attack," Reno says.

"Right. I'll review the records of the attack in more detail later. For now, Lieutenant, you are not to tell a single soul about anything you have seen here. You will stay here in the tower until I've released you. Reno, Rude, lock these three in one of the offices on 69, and clean this up. Then go link up with the rest of the Turks and finish eliminating the escaped samples."

"Yes, sir," Reno says, giving a quick salute before grabbing Tifa by the arm and starting to drag her and Aeris downstairs, back to Floor 67. Rude clears his throat, staring at you, and you nod and start heading down as well. Rude follows. Reno pushes Tifa and Aeris into one of the offices and you walk in after them. They shut the door behind you and you hear the beep of the card reader accepting their clearance and locking the door. You awkwardly do the one thing you can do, sit down in the corner and wait. You'd like to try and chat with Tifa, but she seems busy trying to elicit some kind of response out of Aeris. This whole experience has been very draining, and before you know it, you close your eyes, falling into a deep slumber.

Character Sheet

Name: Marcus "Maverick" Westford
Class: Ranger
Profession: First Lieutenant of the Shinra Peacekeeping Corps
Inner Nature: X
Dominant Inner Nature: None

Characteristics:
Strength 4 Agility 7
Tenacity 5 Intelligence 7

Skills:
Marksmanship Lvl. 2, Discipline Lvl. 2
Hand-to-Hand Lvl. 1, Athletics Lvl. 1, Fieldcraft Lvl. 1, Bluff Lvl. 1, Stealth Lvl. 1, Academics Lvl. 1, Observation Lvl. 1, Electronics Lvl. 1, Computer Use Lvl. 1

Inventory: SM-3 Service Pistol, two clips of 9mm ammunition, ruined civilian casual clothes, Shinra Employee ID Card, Jupiter Energy Bar, Pocket Knife, Spearmint Gum, Portable Handheld System, Wallet w/ 20,000 Gil, keys to the display vehicles

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Threesome?

Well, Hojo did try to get Aeris breeded with Red wolf thing here. I am sure that they won't mind, if Marcus is the one who heroically continuing the cetra bloodline with Aeris. That being said I hope they didn't use any tentacles in the attempt, I am afraid that Marcus can't just compete with those things in the bed if anime has shown me anything.

Kipeci

Arcane
I don't quite know how far along Shinra lies on the evil scale, as I've never played FF7. Is it likely that Shinra would try to kill us to keep us quiet?

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I don't quite know how far along Shinra lies on the evil scale, as I've never played FF7. Is it likely that Shinra would try to kill us to keep us quiet?

Well it depends. It won't be the first thing that they try, but possibility is definitely there.

List of some evil deeds that Shinra has done:
-Dropping big as plate on the people, killing at laest thousands at minimium.
-Conducting human experiments
-killing entire village just because one of their reactors blew up, even if few villagers may had hand in said reactors fate.
-Sucking Life energy of planet. I am not talking about oil or rainforests, but actual energy of planet. That being said it has predictable result in form of environment destruction.

I am pretty sure that there are other cases, but those are that I remember from top of my head.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom