Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Code Vein - new action RPG from God Eater devs at Bandai Namco

Kitchen Utensil

New gameplay:

Looks pretty bad tbh.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
28f0rz.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
#notallanime

I know, I adore most of studio Ghibli work, probably because how subtle and creative and wonderful the anime in it is.

But I can't stand this dumb, manchildy, teenage-wet-powerdream type anime with oversized weapons, WHAPOOM flashy animations and KHASPLOON awesum moments. And anyone who is attracted to this sort of style and is over 10 years old should take a serious hard look in the mirror.

Viata

Arcane
Heh, another shit Souls clone. I don't think even From Software knows how to make a great Souls clone. Just compare Demon's Souls with Dark Souls series(Or compare Dark Souls 1 with 2 and 3).

Martius

Liturgist
Well, its game made by studio behind God Eater series (their take on Monster Hunter formula).
latest
Its more or less what you could expect from them.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Looks derivative, of course, but a bit more subtle than I thought, and the animation of that wolf Stand-thingy (That eats your enemies) is pretty cool.

My prediction is that it'll be mediocre. Pass.

Kitchen Utensil

It's not even the anime art style per se that I think makes this look bad. More like the bland level, character and hud design, and the cinematic finishers. It also looks pretty easy. I'm still somewhat interested in the game, but this gameplay trailer severely tempered my expectations.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's not even the anime art style per se that I think makes this look bad. More like the bland level, character and hud design, and the cinematic finishers. It also looks pretty easy. I'm still somewhat interested in the game, but this gameplay trailer severely tempered my expectations.

x2 on the difficulty comment. If that trailer doesn't show starting mobs in the tutorial areas this looks easier than a Lego game. Telegraphed, ponderously slow enemy moves and fast PC's do not a challenge make. Hopefully this isn't representative of the whole game, it'd be ludicrous if they hamstrung it by making it as easy as this seems.

The art style I can live with. It's a bit immature yes, but that's the devs style and we knew it was going to be like this from the start. Still worth keeping an eye on.

Suicidal

Arcane
Looks very meh.

I think a game that goes for this sort of over the top edgy weaboo aesthetic could benefit more from having gameplay more akin to Devil May Cry or Bayonetta with a focus on fast movement, long combos and flashy moves.

Instead we get a complete Dark Souls clone (at least that's what it looks like at first glance) with slow-ass animations, cerebral palsy stricken monsters that need several seconds to recover after making an attack and an overall lack of excitement.

The style and gameplay don't match at all.

Kitchen Utensil

New gameplay which looks somewhat better:

Seeing a few common questions so decided to pin some responses here.

1) Game will have co-op with up to two summons for 4 bodies total (you, the NPC, and 2 buddies)
2) The NPC is optional and you can choose to leave them behind completely.
3) The game has weapon/stat scaling similar to souls (Strength/dex/quality/etc).
4) Gear is not a focus to my knowledge, you have outfits but I believe that's it.
5) You can create your own character.
6) Currently there is no plans for PvP but it may be added down the road, similar to how Nioh did.
7) It's slated for release this year (2018) but there's no concrete date. A leak suggests it may be July but that should be taken as a rumor and nothing else.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
#notallanime

I know, I adore most of studio Ghibli work, probably because how subtle and creative and wonderful the anime in it is.

But I can't stand this dumb, manchildy, teenage-wet-powerdream type anime with oversized weapons, WHAPOOM flashy animations and KHASPLOON awesum moments. And anyone who is attracted to this sort of style and is over 10 years old should take a serious hard look in the mirror.
There are multiple ways to do oversized weapons and awesum akshun. In fact the souls series heavily take inspiration from a manga that has a lot of that goodness.
HBdlXxH.jpg

Code Vein doesn't work because it's too.. baroque. All its design elements are clashing all over the place. Some things also don't ever work at all, trench coats are not cool, and will never be cool. It's not cool in a sci-fi gunfest but it's even worse when you see a melee character wielding spears and swords wearing such things. And then there's the dracula inspiration mixed with modern looking shit. It's like having a bad fever dream.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There are multiple ways to do oversized weapons and awesum akshun. In fact the souls series heavily take inspiration from a manga that has a lot of that goodness.

True, but these manga references are VERY few and far between, especially in DeS and DS1 (there are maybe two oversized weapons, the sword from Berserk and Smough's hammer), more like a small pinches of subtle spices here and there. And conversely you can also argue all Souls are the best where they steer clear from the manga aesthetics the most, when they're especially gloomy, realistic, deliberate as opposed to hyper stylized, maneuristic and flashy which is so characteristic for shitty anime today.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
(there are maybe two oversized weapons, the sword from Berserk and Smough's hammer)
Demon Greataxe, Demon Greathammer, Demon Great Machete, Stone Greatsword, Moonlight Greatsword, Greatsword of Artorias, Dragon Greatsword, Great lord Greatsword, Man Serpent Greatsword, Gravelord Sword, the Greatbow family, the Washing Pole which isn't thick but extremely long for a katana, Blacksmith Giant Hammer, Dragon's Tooth, Great Club, Large Club, Grant,

FQ0e1UW.jpg

Butcher's knife, Dragon King Greataxe, Stone Greataxe
PCU8YN2.jpg

Have we even played the same game? did you never bother to look at weapons you found in the game world or could transfuse from boss souls after upgrading your claymore or something?
And this is only mentioning the oversized stuff. The manga influences are not restricted to large weapons, stuff like the gold tracer or tail axe obviously have deep manga ish influences over them.

And conversely you can also argue DS (or DeS) is the best where it steers clear from the manga aesthetics the most, when it's especially gloomy, realistic, deliberate instead of hyper stylized, maneuristic and flashy.

Until you meet bosses and realize most of them show more manga inspiration than western fantasy.
Just look at the fucking face of a dragon in this game.
BilcKIa.jpg

There's no point at which I would say DS doesn't have some sort of manga aesthetic. It permeates the game, but you might have become blind to it after getting used to DS1.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Calm your tits dude, ok I remembered it wrong. To be clear some of the weapons you mention are big but not comically oversized, so you're stretching your point too....but I give you many of them are, definitely more than two.

That said I've never claimed there are points in DS with NO manga influence, just that the game is so successful because overall it feels nothing like manga/anime, in fact it feels like the exact opposite to the manga aesthetics, especially to the modern dumb and trashy version of it.

Suicidal

Arcane
After watching some of the latest gameplay vids I warmed up to this game a bit. I also saw a stream where a guy was playing and some Namco representative was with him answering questions and he talked about how they're trying to make the combat more like in Nioh where you have more options than just attack and dodge.

At this point it looks kinda like a budget version of Bloodborne and since we're probably never getting that on PC this game might be a decent alternative.

sullynathan

Arcane
don't know who is still hyped for it, but it's been delayed to 2019. My guess? it would've bombed with all the big games coming this year

Throughout its pre-release promotion campaign, Code Vein has consistently garnered positive reactions from both media and consumers alike. With this knowledge in-hand, Bandai Namco Inc. has made the decision to dedicate additional time to further develop Code Vein; ensuring the final product delivers on the expectations set amongst media and fans.

—Bandai Namco Entertainment America

Code Vein has received an enormous amount of positive feedback from eager fans who have received hands-on time with in-development versions of the game over the past nine months,” said Eric Hartness, Vice President of Marketing for Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc. “Armed with knowledge of how well the game has already been received, we made the decision to postpone the release of Code Vein to further refine its gameplay in an effort to exceed the expectations fans already have of the title. It was a difficult decision to make, but we feel it is the correct one.”

—Bandai Namco Entertainment Asia

“We are thankful to Code Vein fans for giving us a huge positive feedback on the development versions of the game for the past months, as a result of the overwhelming support from the fans, we decided to postpone the release of Code Vein to further refine the game and hope to exceed fans’ expectation.” said Rainel Tan, General Manager at Bandai Namco Entertainment Asia. “It is a difficult decision, but we hope that once the fans gets to play the final version, they will agree with us that this decision is a right one!”

Venture into the post-apocalyptic land of Code Vein and uncover its secrets. Players will be able to craft their own unique character and customize their experience by equipping numerous weapons, items, skills, and gifts to accommodate their favorite fighting style or gain a competitive advantage against impossible odds. Various A.I. controlled partners will also be on-hand to explore the interconnected world with their own specialized attributes and personalities.

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/07/code-vein-delayed-to-2019#IBfcAv0ROoVyb1lz.99

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, I had thought they'd like to keep space between this thing and God Eater 3 as much as possible. Will these animu action games from the same publisher going to cannibalizing each other?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

From the moment this game was announced, Sekiro was announced, developed and released ... and it is without a doubt better than Code Vein.

The setting and the UI are all over the place. The mobs are as interesting as diarrhea, most bosses are humanoids and the combat looks like weebo shit.

Nevertheless Nioh fanbois will love this game.

Edit: The more I watch the more I think Sekiro is a masterpiece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom