Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Gamescom Interviews - Open Call for Questions

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
More like, their editor was a piece of garbage that didn't fully support actual development.
@OP: In fact, ask every developer about their stance on modding, whether they want to opt for editor and support it throughout.
No that's not at all what I'm after.
I want a super easy-to-use editor to spawn a modding community like NWN, and where anyone can pick up and start working on a mod if they've got an idea for something.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In case you need some True Codexian questions.

To ELEX devs: How do you feel about your game winning our "Which CRPG has the most stupid name?" poll?

To Obsidian: Do you feel proud about PoE having 4 reviews on the Codex already? On a scale of 1 to 7 reviews, how would you rate the expansion compared to the main game? On that note, what's up with Chris Avellone?

To Brother None: After NMA and Gamebanshee, how does it feel to be on the dark, hype-driven side of the industry now? Is being able to write for T:ToN worth selling your soul to Fargo?

To Swen: How do you expect any of your future games to live up to the previous ones now that Kirill is gone? (Okay, this one is sort of legit. :()

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Updated the OP: we are sending people to Spellforce 3 (but it's a strategy game, I'm sure) and we're also going to Mafia 3 for some reason.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another question, this time about ELEX. Could you ask them if the world will be more like Risen 2/3 or Risen 1. I'm not saying Gothic becuase I'm not expecting big worlds like that anymore. Is the world handcrafted or not?

Shevek

Arcane
Re: Numenera
Though the title is billed as a largely narrative game, will there be enough combat to satiate players who are into dungeon crawling and dungeon encounters?

Re: BT4
Will this game be a straight dungeon crawler or will there be CnC, a strong narrative, etc?

Re: White March
Sawyer mentioned end game PoE encounters being a bit too easy for his liking. With better/more items, more character building options, more levels, etc, wont the end game get even easier? Will late game PoE enemies/encounters be tuned up with this xpac?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Technomancer! I knew I'd forgotten something! If you ever wanted to ask the Mars:War Logs devs some in-depth questions about the rich and varied setting they've created, now is the time! Updating the OP accordingly.

Fry

Arcane
inXile:

T:ToN: I'm assuming the story is done and content mostly locked at this stage. From the beginning, the team has emphasized a branching story and player choice. Can we still anticipate multiple substantially different endings, or just multiple ways to get to pretty much the same conclusion?

General question: BT4 wasn't nearly as successful as your previous crowd funding projects, and you seem to have mostly exhausted your supply of bankable IP. Will you return to the nostalgia well with Van Buren (which seems redundant after WL2), or will you risk creating something entirely new for the next Kickstarter? Has inXile reached the point where your reputation as an independent developer is strong enough to support entirely new ideas?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
TToN: In Planescape, philosophy is a force of nature - strong beliefs make things happen and that's why factions are so influential, for instance. Tides aren't really a substitute for this concept because they're external forces that sometimes respond to actions. So how will factions work in TToN? Are their creeds merely convenient abstractions like in most other settings or actually something more? Does "mind over matter" ever have a chance (not counting banal magic which isn't part of the setting anyway)?

BBMorti

Arcane
Anonymous representative and asking for respectful questions.. These dex mods belong on some bioware forum.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Torment: What game would you say is the closest when it comes to Torment combat? Is it Temple of Elemental Evil or something else?

POE: Why do you think the Codex members have been so critical of this game? Will you do anything differently in a future installment?

InXile: Will Chris Avellone join you as a lead on some future project, eg. Van Buren?

Bard's Tale 4: Will it be a puzzle-heavy game or mostly just combat?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
inXile:

If I asked about you guys finally doing a time travel RPG (i.e. Meantime), would you be more likely to say:
A. We have no plans to work on Meantime or any other brilliant time travel-centric RPG in the near future.
B. No comment.

deuxhero

Arcane
ELEX: Ask what engine it's using. Use that to segway into asking if there any chance for a Gothic/Gothic 2 source code release.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
No that's not at all what I'm after.
I want a super easy-to-use editor to spawn a modding community like NWN, and where anyone can pick up and start working on a mod if they've got an idea for something.
Nice way to spend a lot of money that could have gone into the actual game

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Nice way to spend a lot of money that could have gone into the actual game
Well it worked for NWN. Shit campaign, but some fun mods. It was also very fun to create mods.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Well it worked for NWN. Shit campaign, but some fun mods. It was also very fun to create mods.
Yeah but then you are gambling on the community to make good content. It only works on games with huge and/or extremely dedicated playerbases because in general player-created content is trash

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Gamescom starts Wednesday, so we'll start finalizing the questions in about 24 hours. If anybody is still working on a poignant question about the Charlie Mops song, better hurry up!

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Added hit French game "The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk" (based on hit French audiobook series "Le donjon de Naheulbeuk ") to OP.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
PoE WM: There's a lot of criticism pointing out that classes feel the same and items also don't offer much difference between them. Do you feel that this is a real issue and are you addressing it?

(Feel free to englishify it better.)

LivingOne

Savant
White March: There were many complaints about poe's combat on the codex: most status of effect lasted very little and were mostly useful to give you a slight edge in the DPS race(example: put enemies prone to hit them while they couldn't do the same for a few seconds). Furthermore pretty much every encounter was made of large quantities of weak enemies that lacked meaningful offensive or defensive abilities(or both). On top of that egagement felt like a constraint on repositioning tactics.

Don't you think these elements combined were a serious problem as they worked together to make combat not nearly as variefied as it could've been(as in it's too often enter room>DPS the orde of skeletons the same way you DPS'd the previous orde of slimes the same way you DPS'd the previous orde of trolls and so on)?
Do you plan adjustments in WM/sequels?

BT4: Dungeon design and encounter design are the most important factors in a dungeon crawler. What can you tell us about encounters composition, monsters abilities,etc. and alternate paths, secret rooms/ways regarding dungeons?

D:OS EE: encounters weren't as good past Cyseal. What do you think the problem was* and how are you correcting it?
*i mean faults about the content per se, i'm not looking for generic answers like 'we didn't have time so they were worse, we'll do better now'

Also Bubbles is anyone going to see Dark Souls 3 (it should be playable)? Do I put questions about it too?

edit DaS3:would like to know if healing via estus makes health go up immediately like DS1 or gradually like 2.Also different rolls at different weight tho' i dunno if you can unequip stuff in the demo yet.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Also Bubbles is anyone going to see Dark Souls 3 (it should be playable)? Do I put questions about it too?

Yes, Dark Souls 3 is on the roster too, though it's not clear if we can make it past the queues; the biggest gap in the schedule is 1 hour long. But sure, any gameplay questions are welcome.

Renevent

Cipher
I'd love to know more about the Inquisitor game from Neocore...basically stuff around how (if there is) leveling works, items and equipment, how it will compare with other ARPG's...that kind of stuff.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Neocore ignored our requests for information, which puts them in a small and exclusive category together with the Mount and Blade 2 devs; the going theory is that they know the Codex and blacklisted us on suspicion of practicing hard-hitting journalism. Chances of getting an "undercover" presentation are pretty slim; we'll see.

gestalt11

Arbiter
inXile:

If I asked about you guys finally doing a time travel RPG (i.e. Meantime), would you be more likely to say:
A. We have no plans to work on Meantime or any other brilliant time travel-centric RPG in the near future.
B. No comment.

Obviously the answer to this is "Ask us again yesterday"

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
To ELEX devs: Why does every game you make get worse and worse and shame all your previous success while you slowly lose your most talented people..

To Obsidian: Same question... :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom