Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview: Josh Sawyer

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'd wager more Codexers tried PoE than AoD or Underrail

Mm hm.

Pillars of Eternity: 563
AoD: 463
Underrail: 430
Witcher 3: 379
Fallout 4: 325

Pillars of Eternity was the most tried RPG of 2015. In 2014 it was D:OS with 906. Runner-ups: Wasteland 2 with 813, Dragonfall with 606. Lurkers were excluded in the 2015 poll, hence the lower numbers.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

Mm hm.

Pillars of Eternity was the most tried RPG of 2015. In 2014 it was D:OS with 906. Runner-ups: Wasteland 2 with 813, Dragonfall with 606. Lurkers were excluded in the 2015 poll, hence the lower numbers.

Should we be impressed? Given their status, funding, and exposition, it should be at least seven times that.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Mm hm.

Assuming this is a representative sample, that's actually an impressive showing by AoD and Underrail.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
So they have a majority and still did not manage to figure in the top 10. That is a failure.

Making it even more interesting to interview the designer, especially considering how the game has its ass on the fence in every department. So what's your point exactly ?
I mean take a look at all the questions people had, some of them are very specific and very few are well-intended :smug:
Claiming games like AoD or SitS don't get enough coverage is pretty bold. I mean - this website is the only place I read about these games. Getting isolasionist (i'm not even gonna correct that one, it's too good) and forsaking the casual and aAa would be pretty fucking boring, as the best reviews remain the straight honest cruel ones like the review of oblivion.
After all, it's about balance :balance: ...

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Just finished the interview.

Oh boy, another promptly delivered Codex Interview.

1262055260350.jpg

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
just because the site need the revenues from news related to these studios.
There is no revenue, it's just a forum. They were joking about the ads revenue lol.

Bester, things do change.
Yeah, how long has it been since Fallout 3 came out and killed the IP? Eight years. People still play nu-"fallout" games here, for the majority it's even a :d1p:. And a LOT even think New Faggas is "the shit"...

How long has it been since Obshitian released a decent title? Twelve years. Now read how people are discussing the Tranny news, there's that bitters "yeah it'll be shit, but I can't wait to play it" between the lines. They have that Pavlov reflex - if it's Obshitian made then it's worth playing. They can't unlearn that.

Ten years from now Inshillitron will still care more about Obshitian than about any indie studio, cause he's interested in "prestige", which he links to "money", because that's just how he is ("jew"). You can't tell him arguments and change him. It's an AA/AAA "RPG" from a studio with an "established cred"? Then Inshillitron is jizzing his pants at the thought of having an interview with the devs. He's likely extremely interested in Bethesda and Bioware as well, but it's mauvais ton here, so he's just hiding it, biding his jew time.

See you in 10 years and you'll tell me how everything's changed. If anything's different then, it's that we'll be gathering 20+ grand for some Autoduel: Tides of the Bard campaign instead of the usual 10.

Telengard

Arcane
There's very few reasons to do an interview.
  1. For the public to jack off to celebrities (by the way, hate boners are just as good as luv boners). This is the A#1 reason for interviews by far.
  2. For a celeb to pitch something to the public (the public are highly susceptible to what a celebrity is saying while they are jacking off to them).
  3. The subject of the interview has something unique and interesting to say.
  4. Someone is leaving the industry in question and thus is ready to do a tell-all (and hopefully cry while they are doing it - best if they can cry on cue).
  5. There's fluffy animals involved.
And that's really about it. You'll notice only #3 is about actually informing people. And that's because people suck. If a celeb does or says something, then that's a something that the public will care about, even love. If a regular worker comes on the show and does the exact same thing, it will get only yawns. The only way the worker becomes interesting is if they have something uniquely new to say. A celeb, on the other hand, is considered interesting no matter what they say. And fluffy animals are interesting because they're fluffy animals. (Also, tell-all scandals are always fun).

RPGCodex (who is not a celebrity) interviewing an indie (who is also not a celebrity) is pretty much a nonstarter - no one's going to care except people who are already involved. Pew-die-pud (who is a celebrity) interviewing an indie (who is not a celebrity), that's a much different story. RPGCodex (who is not a celebrity) interviewing Pew-die-pud (who is a celebrity) is also a different story. And Pew-die-pud (who is a celebrity) interviewing a rock star (another celebrity) is masturbatory Nirvana.

And that's just the way it is.

Lhynn

Arcane
Still being balanced, some questions were too interesting and others not interesting enough.

Weasel
Perhaps Sawyer's pulled a Brother None and asked to review it before publication - these industry bigshots are renowned for this sort of thing

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Josh gave Bubbles super secret Codex-exclusive confidential information about his historical RPG on the promise that Bubbles will withhold it until a certain point in time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The last gamescom content was posted September 22nd. Two months between updates is a bit much. :rpgcodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom