Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex is looking for news posters

Is Infinitron doing a good job as a newsposter?

• Yes

• No

• kingcomrade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Archibald

Arcane
Development updates and Kickstarter updates ARE the news of the oldschool RPG renaissance. How are we different from PC Gamer and RPS if we don't post them? You come to the Codex because you want a site that follows the genre in-depth, moment-to-moment, update-to-update.

You posted that game X launched a Kickstarter, if I'm interested I'll follow that Kickstarter, I don't need you to repost their updates here. If there is enough interest someone will create thread about that game/project in CRPG forum for more detailed discussions.

People call you a shill not because you care, but because every few days there is new post about something related to Obsidian (or MCA).

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Why haven't you posted any info about Arcanum High Resolution patch 1.5 then? You didn't even bother to respond to Drog or here when you were summoned. I don't get it, what would it cost you to just copy paste info about such useful addition to one of the best RPGs ever created and do something good for a change? Is it because you don't like Arcanum? Drog? How is PoE update #44 more interesting than news about a much improved patch which makes playing easier on newer systems?
Let it go bro, Arcanum's ship has sailed.

Don Peste

Arcane
Development updates and Kickstarter updates ARE the news of the oldschool RPG renaissance. How are we different from PC Gamer and RPS if we don't post them? You come to the Codex because you want a site that follows the genre in-depth, moment-to-moment, update-to-update.

Why haven't you posted any info about Arcanum High Resolution patch 1.5 then? You didn't even bother to respond to Drog or here when you were summoned. I don't get it, what would it cost you to just copy paste info about such useful addition to one of the best RPGs ever created and do something good for a change? Is it because you don't like Arcanum? Drog? How is PoE update #44 more interesting than news about a much improved patch which makes playing easier on newer systems?

You posted that game X launched a Kickstarter, if I'm interested I'll follow that Kickstarter, I don't need you to repost their updates here. If there is enough interest someone will create thread about that game/project in CRPG forum for more detailed discussions.

People call you a shill not because you care, but because every few days there is new post about something related to Obsidian (or MCA).

Funny that the near-dead Watch is covering 10x more news than the Codex. Shame, shame...
Can we have a mix of all these?

Archibald

Arcane
He's just reposting their updates. The alternative is deciding which ones are worthy of a news post (too subjective), or put it all into a megathread, which nobody is very fond of because it's hard to keep track of specific posts.

Alternative is doing neither and individual visitors bookmarking whatever Kickstarter looks interesting based on initial newspost here.

A horse of course

Ok guys can you get me up to speed on this drama? People called out Inshillitron for being a cuckstarter lapdog and he threw a tantrum, now we need someone else to copy-paste press releases?

Prime Junta

Ok guys can you get me up to speed on this drama? People called out Inshillitron for being a cuckstarter lapdog and he threw a tantrum, now we need someone else to copy-paste press releases?

He didn't throw anything. It's just the usual people who want to defenestrate him, without offering to do his job. They just got butthurt enough to post this thread.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Why didn't you write up a newspost and submit it?
Because Drog did?

Also, what's the point of writing news (so something more than copy pasting) if I don't know it will be posted? And why are you kissing Infinitron's ass anyway? What are you, his advocate? I'm still waiting for him to explain himself.

A horse of course

He didn't throw anything. It's just the usual people who want to defenestrate him, without offering to do his job. They just got butthurt enough to post this thread.

I thought you left

Prime Junta

Also, what's the point of writing news (so something more than copy pasting) if I don't know it will be posted?

You think that anything anyone submits should automatically be posted on the front page?

Okay, now I want to see what would happen.

And why are you kissing Infinitron's ass anyway? What are you, his advocate?

Pointing out that he posts news regularly and writes more or less coherent English is ass-kissing?

'k

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
You think that anything anyone submits should automatically be posted on the front page?
In this particular context I wasn't talking about "anything" (was talking about Drog's patch) and "anyone" (was talking about me specifically). But let me elaborate: don't know about others but if I make the effort to write a comment to the news I'm posting I would like it to stay, otherwise why bother? It's better to just post to a link/changelog and let the news poster decide what to do with it. And here's the problem - currently it seems that only Infinitron is such a person. For example I've never seen Darth Roxor posting news, or you for that matter. IMO there should be more people like that (not you though), preferably fresh blood but for that you would have to make news about it and recruit people. So Infinitron could cover inXile/Obsidian/KS news and some other people other news. As for the quality assurance, since it's not tier 1 website I don't see a problem. And really, talking about quality when we have all of this spam on the front page is ironically funny. Same goes for Infinitron's comments which quite often are egregious (like in the case of the White March review).

So my suggestions are:
  • give developers (those with dev tag) the right to post news on the Codex while writing the guidelines for them to follow (so no Kim Kardashian news, only news related to the game and no more frequent news than once a month or whatever)
  • "hire" more news posters (but like I said, you would have to make proper news about it so that more people would see it), make some recruitment task for them
  • experiment, let new newsposters post what they want and act accordingly
  • don't allow for too frequent news about the same subject, so no inXile/Obsidian/KS spam
  • optionally, there could be a thread/subforum where news could be posted and after a certain agree/brofist threshold being reached it would automatically (or manually) go to the front page (e.g. Drog's news had 39 brofists, which is very high, too high, 10-20 brofist seems to be a better limit and it would make the system more reliable)

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
Infinitron is doing a good job to not let main page die, it's just that he could reduce the amount of kickstarter update a game receives. We already have a whole subforum for Obsidian, why post every new kickstarter update on main page if one could just post there? The kickstarter posts on main page is cool, they help us find some cool new rpg being done out there. But what is the point of it if said cool new rpg is drowned on the seas of Wasteland 3, PoE 2 and whatnot kickstarter updates?
It should just be two posts and that is it: First one about the game so people may learn about it, the second one if the kickstarter succeded or not. Any other kickstarter update the person may search for it on kickstarter page or the thread related to this game.

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If this is about the lack of mod news coverage, I can think of someone who takes a particular interest in commenting on them and has an excellent track record of unrelenting persistence and dedication. He is also immune to the jew's nefarious machinations.
Andhaira

A horse of course

So my suggestions are:
  • give developers (those with dev tag) the right to post news on the Codex while writing the guidelines for them to follow (so no Kim Kardashian news, only news related to the game and no more frequent news than once a month or whatever)
  • "hire" more news posters (but like I said, you would have to make proper news about it so that more people would see it), make some recruitment task for them
  • experiment, let new newsposters post what they want and act accordingly
  • don't allow for too frequent news about the same subject, so no inXile/Obsidian/KS spam
  • optionally, there could be a thread/subforum where news could be posted and after a certain agree/brofist threshold being reached it would automatically (or manually) go to the front page (e.g. Drog's news had 39 brofists, which is very high, too high, 10-20 brofist seems to be a better limit and it would make the system more reliable)

1. Codex is too small for devs, even shitty Z-list devs like Obsidian, to take the time to produce content for it. However I agree that HentaiWriter should be given staff privileges.

2. Maybe but there would need to be co-ordination between them. Have you heard the parable of the ten thousand trained monkeys and the dyslexic Somali ringleader?

3. Infinitron posts what he wants and nobody likes him. I've actually recieved PMs from Ubisoft and Bethesda insiders saying the reason they don't post on RPGCodex is "the Jew".

4. Seems reasonable. The problem is that the worst parts of the community (i.e. people who post in GRPG Discussion) are so unbelievably anal about the most inconsequential mechanics of an RPG that they would push back against this - "waaah why didn't you make a newspost about Pillars of Eternity patch 4.384972349832487 buffing this stat by 0.00000000000000000000001%" (this is a real post by Grunker btw)

5. I don't think this is a good idea as fragmented discourse (discussing newsposts instead of discussing the topic in the actual subforum/game thread) has historically been a problem.

Viata

Arcane
I've actually recieved PMs from Ubisoft and Bethesda insiders saying the reason they don't post on RPGCodex is "the Jew".
Thank god we have Infinitron here, then.

If you enjoy missing out on exclusive scoops on the game industry because of Infinitron's absolutely toxic reputation, that's fine.
It's not like I'm missing out anything good, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom