Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex is looking for news posters

Is Infinitron doing a good job as a newsposter?

• Yes

• No

• kingcomrade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Archibald

Arcane
How do you know what you don't know?

He's just reposting their updates. The alternative is deciding which ones are worthy of a news post (too subjective), or put it all into a megathread, which nobody is very fond of because it's hard to keep track of specific posts.

Alternative is doing neither and individual visitors bookmarking whatever Kickstarter looks interesting based on initial newspost here.

What's the benefit? Are you worried that Infinitron is working too much? Looks like he's enjoying himself.

I think the issue here isn't "the News forum is updated too frequently, I wish it was more of a wasteland", but Infinitron ignoring things like Drog's patch or Fallout Nevada and instead posting retrospectives of a 2015 game or fig updates about what Inxile's members had for breakfast today. But like you said, if there is enough interest someone will create a thread in CRPG Discussion either way.

also suggesting that codex is turning into NeoGaf/IGN is just ridiculous. nigger nigger nigger, kill all jews, PoE is like a retarded baby it has no idea that its head-wound is leaking pus, Hitler did nothing wrong

Last edited:

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't see what's so important about a new version of a high res mod for a 16 year old game. I'd be willing to post about a new version of Drog's game content patch.
From what I saw in that thread, whole thing came off as a stunt made so that he can attractt some attention and outside help with his work.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Infinitron has a tendency to post news about games he has at least some modicum of interest in, like every other newsposter before him.
If you want a broader news coverage we'll need more newsposters. Know anybody? I'm open to suggestions.

If Drog wanted a newspost about that patch he could have told me and I would have made a newspost about it.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't like any game from both devs. That is enough for me.
We are talking of huge publishers that publish really broad range of game, especially in Ubisoft's case. Even if you are honest about genuinely not liking any of their games in the past, istead of just edgelording, that still doesn't guarantee that you will hate everything they put out. Some folks here loathe new Fallout or TES games and yet they adore Dishonored and prey. Both are published by Bethesda.

In short, yours is a pretty immature and limiting attitude.

If Drog wanted a newspost about that patch he could have told me and I would have made a newspost about it.
Check that thread. Wee bit of drama brought him much more support and attention than a newpost would. I'd wager that said drama is what he wanted with his whining about newspost, not a newspost itself.

Viata

Arcane
I don't like any game from both devs. That is enough for me.
We are talking of huge publishers that publish really broad range of game, especially in Ubisoft's case. Even if you are honest about genuinely not liking any of their games in the past, istead of just edgelording, that still doesn't guarantee that you will hate everything they put out. Some folks here loathe new Fallout or TES games and yet they adore Dishonored and prey. Both are published by Bethesda.

In short, yours is a pretty immature and limiting attitude.
Says the shilling man. I also disliked Prey and Dishonored.

DramaticPopcorn

I've always said that Inifijew is the problem, there is basically noone else autistic enough to compete with him.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I don't see what's so important about a new version of a high res mod for a 16 year old game.
In other words you don't like/haven't played Arcanum. You could have just let the Codex decide whether it's relevant or not and posted it. You would have buried this news under 5 PoE, 8 Pathfinder, and 6 inXile news anyway and if there would be no interest then no harm would be done. This update is actually quite significant, e.g. configuring it is now easy as pie and VERY convenient (wish all the patches were this comfortable to use). A game breaking bug has been fixed (game breaking to a degree, uninstalliing the old patch could fix the problem but for that reason I've never used the old patch again), bigger font was added (which is possibly the biggest plus), it's been equipped with tools for easy run on modern systems (plus it works perfectly on Wine, at least on Lubuntu), etc. etc. Seriously, this isn't just a slightly improved HR patch and it deserves a shout-out.

Why not make it now? It's not like this patch has expiration date and no site has written about it AFAIK. If not Codex then who/what? And breaking the chain of inXile/Obsidian/KS news is always a plus.

If editorial is needed you can use my shitty skills:
ACHTUNG!!! ACHTUNG!!!
Not that long ago Drog has released a new version of Arcanum High Resolution Patch which he enriched with some very useful features. For starters configuring it is now easy as pie and very convenient, a game breaking bug has been fixed, bigger font was added and it's been equipped with tools for easy run on modern systems. Full changelog and a list of features is available here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-resolution-patch-version-1-5-release.115869/

(or just post full changelog)

CHANGELOG:
-- The patch is now configured and applied via a config file, no more command line prompts.
-- Many more settings and features are now available in the config file, to be further configured by the user to their liking.
-- The vertical position of the middle screen menus (e.g. inventory or load save) can now be set to top, bottom or center (default).
-- Most UI graphics have been cleaned up, the top shading has been removed and full size borders have been added.
-- Added fullscreen backgrounds to the main menu, 3 variants are available: just black, fade to black, fullscreen wooden background (also applies to options and credits).
-- Compiled a completely new crisp sharp size 18 dialog font which is true to the original.
-- Increased preload distance, so that you won't see stuck objects at very high resolutions. This feature is also user configurable.
-- Increased broacast distance, so that the followers can heed your commands at greater distances. This feature is also user configurable.
-- Splash screens are now centered.
-- Fixed all lingering UI bugs, such as the map menu navigation button not working properly.
-- Resolved the issue with the Half Ogre Island captain not spawning.
-- Added options to force the game to use windowed mode, software rendererer and double buffer.
-- Scrolling distance is no longer patched to be smaller, and both scrolling distance and scrolling FPS can now be configured in the config file.
-- Streamlined and cleaned up a lot of code. All patch scripts are fully commented.
-- Fixed a 'run as administrator' prompt on newer versions of Windows.
-- The DDrawCompat wrapper is included in the patch and can be optionally installed, recommended for Windows 8/10 users.

Direct linkt to patch is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0naWlTE4ubBM1E5TnZYUnZvZVE
but if you ask me just posting the changelog would suffice.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In other words you don't like/haven't played Arcanum.

No, I wouldn't post about a new version of a hi-res mod for any old game. For example the Gibberlings3 guys update their tweaks mods for the IE games all the time. I'm not going to post all that stuff, it's not important.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The Gibberlings3 guys update their tweaks mods for the IE games all the time
You don't have any reservations to post about every little thing about Wasteland 3 though (or PoE, or Pathfinder). And in the first place, comparing IE games to Arcanum is like comparing Fallout 4 to Age of Decadence...

HentaiWriter

Future Fragments
Developer
1. Codex is too small for devs, even shitty Z-list devs like Obsidian, to take the time to produce content for it. However I agree that HentaiWriter should be given staff privileges.

Not sure if serious, but if so, I'm flattered, although I don't know what I'd really do with those privileges.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Plz stop closely following the development of new oldschool RPGs that tens of thousands of people are looking forward to and cater to my special interests instead"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom