Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Codex Scoop: Temple of Elemental Evil world editor discovered hidden in game's official Polish patch

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is pretty amazing :salute:

Now someone go and convert every D&D module in existence to ToEE

Until that's done you'll just have to settle for every classic D&D module made for FRUA:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ealms-unlimited-adventures-frua-thread.61909/
http://frua.rosedragon.org/modulelist/file.php

Also, I'd love to see a module making contest for the Codex, like we put together last year using RPG Maker.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
pkm0.jpg

Diggfinger

Arcane
Does applying the Polish patch somehow mess up the game with Co8 patches installed?
Finally got it running on my Mac, would like to finish it before jeopardizing with additional patch-work.

Kudos to the Poles! :bounce:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does applying the Polish patch somehow mess up the game with Co8 patches installed?
Finally got it running on my Mac, would like to finish it before jeopardizing with additional patch-work.

Kudos to the Poles! :bounce:
You don't need to actually apply the Polish patch to the game.

Abhay

Augur
So much offtopic bullshit being posted in here.
This a big moment. A great news!!!
Can you guys become fucking serious...ffs!
Bloody ridiculous that nobody is actually talking about whether this actually works or nor?
Please. Try this out. Let us know about some good possibilities presents for the game in future or not?

I see someone posted this on Co8 as well.
Good. At least, those people are going to spend time onchecking this out than wasting the thread on fuckin nonsense bullshit.
The moderators should clean up the off topic shit too.
Hopefully, something good comes out of this discovery. I don't have the game and really looking forward to get it from GOG!
Loved the game but the editor can really make it better.

bonescraper

I think you guys should thank CD Projekt. They're the ones who published and translated this game in Poland. That's probably their fault. I guess they used some kind of dev build for their translation purposes, and packed their patch with the editor by mistake.

Perkel

Arcane
I think you guys should thank CD Projekt. They're the ones who published and translated this game in Poland. That's probably their fault. I guess they used some kind of dev build for their translation purposes, and packed their patch with the editor by mistake.

Hmm this as well be a case. Still i am not sure translating teams have full source code of game.
In other subject it is great that this works.

Maybe my post to Tim Cain back when he graced our forum made gods give us something as gods knew about mistake beforehand.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From Circle of Eight forum:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11578

"This is indeed an interesting find from our fellow member. It's also interesting that in twelve years it is the first time someone experimented in this unusual way (installing a Polish patch on top of an English game) and came up with the least expected results.

The existence of an accidental leak of this tool was known to us for some time, but unfortunately, we were unable to release it publicly before. We had an opportunity to obtain a copy of WorldEd before from a limited collector's edition Polish release of the game that shipped on two CDs. For the reasons of: a) it being proprietary software [that we are not allowed to freely share]; b) being a possible oversight affecting only a particular limited game release that was, in essence, an internal NDA violation within the game release team; c) us not knowing the extent of this oversight and the possible legal implications for us if we released the tool openly,we were unfortunately unable to release the tool here and share it publicly on the Circle of Eight website.

Now, however, that it was found lying openly in a different location, I can say I am glad to see that the program is now public knowledge and, moreover, can be downloaded from a public location on the Internet without anyone having to worry about the shady aspect of potentially releasing it to the public otherwise.As for the tool itself:
a) I can confirm that it definitely works.
b) It's a quirky and crashy and somewhat limited tool compared to what you may expect - while it does indeed open up additional modding possibilties and can speed up the process of map development, do not expect it to work miracles.To get it working, make sure you have the game module .dat file (toee.dat, for memory, though I don't have an active game installation at the moment to test) extracted. Otherwise, you won't be able to load any maps. Also, do not expect the "New Module" button to work properly - that feature is actually left over from Arcanum and does not work correctly for ToEE. Ditto the "Multiplayer" button and many other things. Navigating the map in WorldEd can be a little bit tricky too - the program has no mouse scrolling support and you can only use the numeric keypad to navigate (you have to have Numlock on). The program also likes to crash a lot, especially if you click the wrong things, so make sure you make backups and save often if you work on anything serious in it.

I'm not sure if WorldEd will make a world of difference in ToEE modding due to its quirky and limited nature, but I will only be happy to see new modders come along and use this program to contribute to what ToEE has to offer.

- Agetian"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

"This is indeed an interesting find from our fellow member. It's also interesting that in twelve years it is the first time someone experimented in this unusual way (installing a Polish patch on top of an English game) and came up with the least expected results.

The existence of an accidental leak of this tool was known to us for some time, but unfortunately, we were unable to release it publicly before. We had an opportunity to obtain a copy of WorldEd before from a limited collector's edition Polish release of the game that shipped on two CDs. For the reasons of: a) it being proprietary software [that we are not allowed to freely share]; b) being a possible oversight affecting only a particular limited game release that was, in essence, an internal NDA violation within the game release team; c) us not knowing the extent of this oversight and the possible legal implications for us if we released the tool openly,we were unfortunately unable to release the tool here and share it publicly on the Circle of Eight website.

So they've been hoarding the editor to themselves in secret for years, probably using it to develop some of their famous patches and mods. Perhaps this is why our leaker had to use an anonymous account?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

So they've been hoarding the editor to themselves in secret for years, probably using it to develop some of their famous patches and mods. Perhaps this is why our leaker had to use an anonymous account?

It sure looks like that, I mean they could have leaked it with anonymous account when they found out, also would like to know how long exactly is "for some time".

bonescraper

The existence of an accidental leak of this tool was known to us for some time, but unfortunately, we were unable to release it publicly before. We had an opportunity to obtain a copy of WorldEd before from a limited collector's edition Polish release of the game that shipped on two CDs.
That's not true. It's the initial release, standard issue, not limited in any shape or form (well, at that time) in a cardbord box. It comes on 2 CDs and contains a bonus CD with mods, conept art and shit like that. Oh, the box also contained a Greyhawk novel and a printed map. Typical CD Projekt 100% monocled release. I know, cause i own it :oops:

6844546.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The existence of an accidental leak of this tool was known to us for some time, but unfortunately, we were unable to release it publicly before. We had an opportunity to obtain a copy of WorldEd before from a limited collector's edition Polish release of the game that shipped on two CDs.
That's not true. It's the initial release, standard issue, not limited in any shape or form (well, at that time) in a cardbord box. It comes on 2 CDs and contains a bonus CD with mods, conept art and shit like that. Oh, the box also contained a Greyhawk novel and a printed map. Typical CD Projekt 100% monocled release. I know, cause i own it :oops:

6844546.jpg

Really? What kind of mods? Is the stuff on it available anywhere? ISO plz.

Damnit, and I thought I had the better version since I have the big box which seems to be somewhat rare compared to the small box you usually find. But I have no extra cd, map or novel.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
I mean it in a good way but really, where else would a discovery like this come from a babbling Polish alt named Temple of Elemental Kurwa, after 12 years
He actually send clear instructions. But for fuck sake, this is a bit mad. It sounds almost like joke. And I mean seriously.

- Do you hear news?!
- Hmh?
- They found ToEE editor in one of polish patch files!
- Wow!
- Yeah. Guy named 'Temple of Elemental Kurwa' send the info in polish on Codex RPG about that. After 12 years from game release.
- ... what. You don't drunk anymore.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
A) It's an official patch/retail version. They don't need to share it, it's already publicly available.
B) NDA of the existence of game files available inside a retail box? Yeah, right. And why would every single Co8 modder have signed a NDA anyway?
C) There's no legal implications for pointing towards a publicly available patch or posting a bit of info. Saying "hey guys, buy the Polish release, it comes with the map editor" isn't really ground for a lawsuit.

And they always could have leaked it, just like it happened now, god nows how many years later.

I like Co8 for all the good work they put into ToEE, but that's a load of bullshit. Sure, they are the biggest ToEE modders out there, but how much of that is because they monopolized the mod tools? The Keep on the Borderlands mod is clearly a result of the team having this tool, and that was in development since 2005! Is their "for some time" really 10 fucking years?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
finally we can replace the bugbears with Balors, this will shut up the bugbear whiners

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom