Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codex Wiki

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is there any way we could get a wiki on the site?

We could have pages for the reader's choice awards. A page for each game with the paragraph long reviews and links to longer codex approved™ reviews. Possibly even categories like year released, developer, etc.

Even the Watch has a database of games, http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/games. We can't let them out do us!

And yes, I'm volunteering to curate the wiki.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
a week at most and it would become a codexian version of the ed including all codexian drama as well as detailed stalkery info on all the important posters, with the actual game pages taking up maybe 5% of the space and activity.

Is there any way we could get a wiki on the site?

We could have pages for the reader's choice awards. A page for each game with the paragraph long reviews and links to longer codex approved™ reviews. Possibly even categories like year released, developer, etc.

This is a great idea. You presented your ideas in a concise manner; it reflects well on you.

And yes, I'm volunteering to curate the wiki.

That's ok, we're giving it to Crispy.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
We have plans for a some-what comprehensive database (basically making the current tags we have link to something with more info). We're also thinking of allowing people to post their own reviews on the content in that database. So you could click a tag for a game, get a brief run-down, see any related Codex content and news, then read any user reviews.

Whether we demean ourselves by having some kind of 1 - 5 star rating system, or just simply "Buy / Don't Buy" options. So you'd see something like: 15 Codexers recommend you buy this game." Or even just a simple "Recommend". So people can recommend games they... recommend.

Monty

Arcane
I think stuff like 'Buy' or 'Recommend' wouldn't work as most posters here would just abuse them for lulz. The ROA remake would have probably ended up with a stratospheric level of 'buy' recommendations.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think stuff like 'Buy' or 'Recommend' wouldn't work as most posters here would just abuse them for lulz. The ROA remake would have probably ended up with a stratospheric level of 'buy' recommendations.

As it should be.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As it should be.
This way people will actually have to read those reviews. It's got my vote, plus it'll reduce chances of needing to make a thread every few years for codexian impressions on some game or the the other.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Possible solution: You must attach your "buy"/"recommend" vote to a mini-review. Reviews must be authorized by staff before showing up.

Of course, it wouldn't really have the same "crowd consensus" functionality you can get from just a thumbs up button that requires no effort.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Possible solution: You must attach your "buy"/"recommend" vote to a mini-review. Reviews must be authorized by staff before showing up.

Of course, it wouldn't really have the same "crowd consensus" functionality you can get from just a thumbs up button that requires no effort.
It'd probably suffice if we can just report the really worthless reviews.

Monty

Arcane

It'd probably suffice if we can just report the really worthless reviews.
Even 'worthless' trolling reviews can be very amusing though. Like those reviews of Hasselhoff's 'music' on Amazon or some of the reviews of shit games on this site. So I guess it depends whether this is intended to inform or provide lulz (... reading that again who the hell am I kidding!)

I was just wondering what the 'recommend' metric would actually add given how the average poll goes around here.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Reviews without any silly scoring systems would be the best. Maybe allow other codexers to recommend other people's reviews. Of course, there should be some time limit of how long you have been a codexer to be able to do that, so you won't have randoms gaming the system.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Just brofist the reviews you like then?
On the other hand, putting up a review can very well cause someone else to write a review to counter that review, so it may make sense allow reviews to be commented upon but then we might as well make a thread.

Perhaps a simple brofist/butthurt system would do?

AngryKobold

Arcane
Don't even try to use an one- value rating. It's worthless. Better make separate ratings for game elements. Graphics, audio, playability, etc (writing?). Very informative and :obviously: system. Seems it got extinct when journalists started to wear pants on the head.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
If anything I'd just have a Buy / Don't Buy. I mean, the game is either worth playing or it's not. Who cares that the sound is 2/5 if the game is still worth playing despite that? On the other hand, some games aren't worth playing so "Don't Buy".

And I'd fully expect trolling and lulz. If everyone wants to rate Oblivion as Buy and write raving reviews, well, welcome to the Codex. User beware.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You could add a special tag or something for games that were featured in the latest top 50 RPGs as voted by the community.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just make each user's like/dislike list public. And only let people who have been here long enough vote, 2+ years would be a good place to start. That and potential public ridicule should get rid of most some of the trolling.

Amn Nom

Learned
If anything I'd just have a Buy / Don't Buy. I mean, the game is either worth playing or it's not. Who cares that the sound is 2/5 if the game is still worth playing despite that? On the other hand, some games aren't worth playing so "Don't Buy".

And I'd fully expect trolling and lulz. If everyone wants to rate Oblivion as Buy and write raving reviews, well, welcome to the Codex. User beware.
This sounds like a good idea on paper, but it creates a problem when you start to factor in taste. Some of us like story and some of us like gameplay. Torment maybe considered shit by a combat guy, but obviously a story guy is going to like it a lot. Inverse for Temple of Elemental Evil. Why not just simple 'reviews', with nothing beyond text, where the reader can determine for themselves if they think the game is worth getting?

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This sounds like a good idea on paper, but it creates a problem when you start to factor in taste. Some of us like story and some of us like gameplay. Torment maybe considered shit by a combat guy, but obviously a story guy is going to like it a lot. Inverse for Temple of Elemental Evil. Why not just simple 'reviews' where the reader can determine for themselves if they think the game is worth getting?
I think having both is a good idea.

You can read reviews to see if you would be interested in what kind of game it is. Then check some kind of score to see if a lot of people agree that it's good.

mck

Cipher
a week at most and it would become a codexian version of the ed including all codexian drama as well as detailed stalkery info on all the important posters, with the actual game pages taking up maybe 5% of the space and activity.

you make that sound like a bad thing

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just incorporate facebook pages into codex user profiles. Then we won't need a wiki.

Each user profile could have a "page" for you to add all the interesting information about your likes in video games and ratings.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Just incorporate facebook pages into codex user profiles. Then we won't need a wiki.

Each user profile could have a "page" for you to add all the interesting information about your likes in video games and ratings.

But meta content is best when people have petty edit wars over them!

I'm not really feeling a Codex wiki. It doesn't seem necessary.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom