Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
shihonage I think the documentation options entirely depend on the editor and language you're using. Or are we not talking about programming here?

It's external documentation. I want to document how to do certain tasks with an engine. For example a section "Creating a map", with subsections like "Tile placement", "Coordinate management" and "Actor placement". I want it to be like a Word document, only with sections and subsections that are collapsible so it's easy to navigate.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
shihonage I think the documentation options entirely depend on the editor and language you're using. Or are we not talking about programming here?

It's external documentation. I want to document how to do certain tasks with an engine. For example a section "Creating a map", with subsections like "Tile placement", "Coordinate management" and "Actor placement". I want it to be like a Word document, only with sections and subsections that are collapsible so it's easy to navigate.
Ever tried Zim?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Ever tried Zim?

I don't see this feature in the screenshots.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Ever tried Zim?

I don't see this feature in the screenshots.
FBy9i0O.png

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

:) Thanks. But I am looking for collapsible text, not collapsible table of contents. I want to be able to skip over sub-sections I'm familiar with, and only keep what I need "explained" on the screen - as a continuous whole.
Ah, I see.

Try Notepad++ then. IIRC it supports this feature (or you can just set the language to C and use {}, which allows you to collapse certain parts of text).

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

potatojohn

Arcane
I was looking for something intuitive, but thanks for trying ;)

You won't find anything more intuitive I think

org mode documents are just plain text

Headings in org mode begin with * with the number of stars indicating the depth of the heading

TAB cycles visibility for the heading (and all subheadings) your mouse cursor is on

Duckard

Augur
Does anyone know of an easy documentation creation tool, where you can have collapsible sections, you know, the ones that start with + sign, you click on it, it expands?

I use moo.do. It's basically workflowy but with the option for multiple panes and a lot of other shit that I don't use.

zCsTlSq.png

Questions for all of you who have made/are making RPGs:
  1. Are there any good processes for designing rpg systems?
  2. If you're making a game mostly about combat, would it make sense to create a fun turn based combat system first and then later worry about tying the necessary stats to character attributes/skills?
  3. Any suggested reading material on rpg balancing? I'd really like to see technical information on how to use a tool like Excel to do the balancing, more so than basics of calculating expected value.

Last edited:

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Duckard, I would recommend starting off with what you want the results to be, and then figuring out what calculations will give you those results. I wrote a blog post about trying that a while back.

I made this chart when I was figuring out how the to-hit calculation should work. I realized I had a pretty poor hit% curve when I stopped and figured out what it actually did. So I put the numbers through a sigmoid function and I was much happier with the results. (Ignore the Series5 line in the below chart. Series5 doesn't actually exist.)

AttackSuccess.jpg

As for calculating damage, I had to consider HP, equipment changes, and stat progression together. Instead of just throwing numbers down, I decided how many hits I wanted a character to take before dying, and then get the numbers based on that. The link explains this chart in greater detail.

ArmorEffectiveness.jpg

I didn't do anything really crazy in Excel. I just figured out what I wanted first, and then figured out what numbers would give me those results.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Try Notepad++ then. IIRC it supports this feature (or you can just set the language to C and use {}, which allows you to collapse certain parts of text).

Notepad++ devs said:
By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness,Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.

Ahahahahhahahahahahha

hahahhahahahahhahahahahahah

hahahahhhahahahahahhaha

ha

ahhahahahahahha

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Is there a market for nsfw games? Steam, Desura and Indiedb all seem to ban nsfw content if I'm correct. Are there any other means for mass distribution?

For steam, what are there policies on sex scenes given that they allowed the Witcher series?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Is there a market for nsfw games? Steam, Desura and Indiedb all seem to ban nsfw content if I'm correct. Are there any other means for mass distribution?

For steam, what are there policies on sex scenes given that they allowed the Witcher series?

Steam has been swamped with nsfw games recently - for the more explicit content, you just have to provide a patch outside of Steam.
There's an audience for it, but it's had to discern how big it is. I think some of the largest projects on Patreon are nsfw things (including games), but the low budget look of many H games on Steam and elsewhere suggest, that the market is / was still somewhat limited - but maybe there's a new market for high budget productions now that the games are on Steam.

Last edited:

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
It seems to me that on any given day, I see two or three new racy visual novels advertised on Steam. They're always starring some big-breasted girl with cat ears. And they're always in New and Trending or some kind of recommendation for me. I don't understand why. I've never bought one of those games. But for those who do, and I'm not judging you, it looks like that market has to be so saturated by now that no one can keep up with all the naked waifus. I haven't checked Steam Spy to confirm my suspicions, but I would guess that we see even more new NSFW visual novels every month than we see crappy indie platformers.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
:) Thanks. But I am looking for collapsible text, not collapsible table of contents. I want to be able to skip over sub-sections I'm familiar with, and only keep what I need "explained" on the screen - as a continuous whole.

Emacs org-mode does this

http://orgmode.org/

I was looking for something intuitive, but thanks for trying ;)

There is a not free program called Ginko I was drooling over a couple of years ago. There is an fully functional online version and an offline version he is still working on. I think he makes you pay by the year. :( It is a horizontal outliner that lets you to start a document in general terms and flesh it out by moving sideways. If I knew Vim scripting I would make a plugin that does the same, because it doesn't look that hard.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Introduction+to+Ginko

gaussgunner

Arcane
There is a not free program called Ginko I was drooling over a couple of years ago. There is an fully functional online version and an offline version he is still working on. I think he makes you pay by the year. :( It is a horizontal outliner that lets you to start a document in general terms and flesh it out by moving sideways. If I knew Vim scripting I would make a plugin that does the same, because it doesn't look that hard.

Vimoutliner, it's already been done. But I just use plain text files with tab indentation. Spreadsheets too.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

Vimoutliner, it's already been done. But I just use plain text files with tab indentation. Spreadsheets too.

Cool I'll definately check it out.

I had a look at the websites of the org-mode clones, but decided against them as they seemed a bit heavy. I chose VimFlowy as it just uses tabs, but I probably wouldn't even need it if I bothered to read the Vim docs.

Duckard

Augur
Guys, colour grading is pretty cool.

NUucBCk.jpg

I know nothing about colour science but in this case I wanted to give more brilliance to the sky, so I upped the saturation and relative luminance of the saturation of the midtones. This caused my high saturation red material to lose some of the detail on the lighter side, so I just reduced its material's saturation. Now you can still see the Fresnel effect. I also lightened up some of the red shadows to make it easier to see the red coloured objects when moving quickly. They serve as points to grapple on to, so they need to be instantly recognizable which means it's nice to be able to tweak the shading independently.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Duckard (and everyone else) you need to go read this dude's post. https://ventspace.wordpress.com/2017/10/20/games-look-bad-part-1-hdr-and-tone-mapping/

Stuff I didn't even know I didn't know. I always thought the default tone mapping looked OK. Now I have this nagging doubt, and I'm wondering if everything I make is uglier than I thought.

For the uninitiated: Real light has a brightness from 0 to infinity in infinite shades of color. That's high dynamic range, or HDR. Your monitor has brightness from 0 to 1 on red, green, and blue channels. That's low dynamic range, or LDR. A tone mapper will take HDR light information and turn it into LDR that can be displayed on your monitor. A good tone mapper will preserve the color of bright lights, and not make them all white; will put a "bloom" of color around bright lights; and will provide interesting contrast without making all the dark shades black (A.K.A. "crushing the blacks," a totally not racist term when used in context). Color grading is done after that, to get customized fine-tuned colors. It's usually done with a lookup table or LUT. But if your tone mapper has already destroyed all of the lighting information with too much contrast, then there isn't much that post-process color grading can do for you.

The guy who wrote that post basically rants about how every AAA game looks the same and they all look like crap because they're all just a bunch of default tone mappers with too much contrast.

But yeah, color grading is pretty awesome. Instant color correction just by adding a lookup table. And you can do tons with it. Did you ever notice in Diablo III, when you take those secret passages through a dungeon and everything takes on a green tint? Color lookup table.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
For my outline shader, I started off with a plain thick line. That looked a bit amateurish. I moved to a thinner line that used the scene's shadow color, which meant purple during the day, red at sunrise and sunset, and dark blue at night. I was never totally satisfied with how that looked. Now I think I have something I like a little more.

NewLineColor.jpg

I take the pixel color, normalize it (so if you think of the RGB channels as a 3D vector, make that vector length 1, so you have the same color, but total brightness is 1), multiply the original pixel color by the normalized color, and you end up with a saturated version of the original color. Now multiply by the shadow color, and you don't just have a purple line over everything, but you have a darker, more saturated color of the pixel, that's pushed toward the color of the scene's shadows the same way everything else is: by multiplying the color.

And here's a first look at the new desert-themed assets:

DesertPreview.gif

These models and most of the textures started life at the Unity Asset Store. I put them into Blender, redid a bunch of bad UVs, made custom collision meshes, vertex painted them, then made custom materials in the engine. In addition to my usual shader that changes color with time of day, I added wind direction, and the fabric and branches move in waves with the wind, going up and down and stretching slightly in the XY plane in the direction of wind. The red vertex color, multiplied by wind strength, tells the mesh how far to move. The blue vertex color tells the mesh if it has to stop moving downward at a certain point, so the fabric meshes don't drop below the wooden frames. It looks really good in close-up, like it's a physics simulation and not just shader instructions.

In World Machine I also made some desert mesas that you can see the foot of in the background, similar to how I made my temperate climate mountains.

I think I need to make the scene more colorful overall. I should take a look at other games that have good desert scenes and see what they did to make everything not the same color.

I also replaced all of my old combat particle effects with the new stuff that I learned from DucVu FX. For fun I made a level that plays a bunch of the new effects at random:

ParticlesCollected.gif

Last edited:

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
I thought that in my case it was necessary. It creates a unifying visual feature to blend the 2D characters with the 3D backgrounds. But I also made an option to turn it off, so that doesn't need to be a showstopper for you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom