Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm a solo dev and I use git. It has saved my bacon several times, from stuff that wasn't even my fault. Several times a day, whenever I finish working on something, or if I want something like a save checkpoint, I make a commit. I type in literally two commands:

git commit -a -m "Here's some stuff I worked on."
git push

And with that, I have a history saved on a remote server. So long as I commit regularly, no matter what goes wrong, I never lose more than a couple hours of work.

I guess it could be worse if someone hacked my AWS account and erased everything the same day my hard drive explodes. But I think that's a pretty remote possibility.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just click save and then zip up the project and upload it to my google drive at the end of a work-session. At some point I'm going to have to tackle the issue properly, but right now my project is just a couple of hundred megs.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Adding a new enemy to the game. This one was pretty easy because I already have human templates. I just had to draw a pumpkin on its head.

PumpkinheadWIP.jpg

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My boy Excommunicator just finished his first game jam. He did 6 event songs for Helltour: Cross Country. Give him a hand!

He does the songs? Interesting. Anyone have any experience/advice when it comes to contracting for music and sound effects? My project currently has no audio assets at all and needs background music and some sound effects for things like button-clicks and combat actions.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
My boy Excommunicator just finished his first game jam. He did 6 event songs for Helltour: Cross Country. Give him a hand!

He does the songs? Interesting. Anyone have any experience/advice when it comes to contracting for music and sound effects? My project currently has no audio assets at all and needs background music and some sound effects for things like button-clicks and combat actions.
Yeah, we both did music, he was all the dialogue parts and I was all the racing parts and sound effects. You know, we'd probably both be interested in working together again on your project. What are you looking for?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer

Yeah, we both did music, he was all the dialogue parts and I was all the racing parts and sound effects. You know, we'd probably both be interested in working together again on your project. What are you looking for?

My current project is about Theseus' journey from Troezen to Athens. I made a separate thread in this sub-forum after I had a working demo:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...s-2-demo-available.118904/page-2#post-5601197

I contracted with an artist that I found here on the codex, there are some screenshots in the thread. I don't have anyone to do the audio, though. If you two have the time and are interested in taking up a new project, I'd gladly discuss it further.

Essentially, I need inoffensive background music that would suit its ancient setting, and I need general sound effects for things like button-clicks, scene-change, etc, and combat sound effects (such as shooting an arrow, swinging a sword, etc). I can give a more detailed account over private message if there's interest.

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

My current project is about Theseus' journey from Troezen to Athens. I made a separate thread in this sub-forum after I had a working demo:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-c-c-rpg-made-in-gms-2-demo-available.118904/

I contracted with an artist that I found here on the codex, there are some screenshots in the thread. I don't have anyone to do the audio, though. If you two have the time and are interested in taking up a new project, I'd gladly discuss it further.
Send us a group PM with more details. This sounds like a very cool project.

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
Spent around 8 hours transitioning from arrow clicking for character movement to drag and drop. Will still have to refine visuals/mechanics after testing feedback, but it's a good starting point. Has snapping into place/etc.

Nice vid mate but you may want to add (allowed) directional buttons on each character to move them with ease and avoid too much drag'n'drop.
I do not know the exact mechanics of your game, just a thought

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Another combat video for Might & Mercenaries: Curse of Eternal Darkness.

The spell system isn't functioning yet (that'll be coming up soon). There are many improvements to the system. Sadly some of them aren't in the video.

* PCs and Monsters can use the Guard feature (for those of you not familiar with the mechanic, Guarding allows someone to stand ready and attack the first time an enemy approaches within melee range).
* PCs and Monsters get free attacks whenever someone moves away from them (this is not shown in the video, though).
* Ranged attacks with animation are in the game.
* Monsters can surrender based upon individual morale, which is calculated given how many of their allies have died and how much damage they have taken (not shown in the video).
* Combat speed can be set on the fly from the menu, allowing a player to speed up or slow down combat on their turn to suit their tastes. Five settings in all (not show in the video).
* Aiming system that allows a player to look at each ally and each enemy and to target one with either melee or ranged attacks (and spells in the future).

Enjoy.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Has anyone here tried using GameMaker Studio 2 to make an Android build that can be sold on the google store? I am making my PC game in GMS2, and in theory GMS2 is able to make Android builds if you buy the license. If it's a huge pain in the arse, though, then I'll steer clear of it. My game's interface is simple enough that it could be done on a touch screen, and it's not so graphics intensive that a phone would have trouble running it.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
This guy is now fully integrated into the game. He has about 20 quotes that he'll say when attacking, being attacked, ordered to move, dying, and other situations, all from the same poem. It's creepy how versatile it is. I need to make some more scythes for leveled versions.

ScarecrowTest.jpg

And I've been making magic weapons and crafting recipes. The magic weapons needed a little something extra, so I reworked the weapon class and related materials with glow masks.

MagicWeapons.jpg

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
For a while I considered setting the entire game within a creepy circus. I decided against it because I couldn't think of enough character classes or an epic enough story. Now though I think I might be able to pull it off. Maybe that will be an expansion campaign one day.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
It's always great when the new batch of art assets rolls in. Here are three new portraits I stuck together in one image file:

portraits.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom