Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

AdolfSatan

Arcane
But why not simply create a secondary copy of the assets and have them in monochrome? I doubt it would add much to the weight of the game, and doing it only requires for you to create a quick macro on photoshop (or gimp, or whatever) and then make it load all the images and process them.

zwanzigs game looks and sounds great, but i havent seen anything that actually makes it look fun. tho i suppose some people could find the atmosphere fun in and of itself
Because it's not supposed to be fun, it's a game for masochistic elitists to deride those who can't beat it. I mean, look at the dev, he's a German who took his forum name out of an industrial album. GS is a game for those who consider Bethlehem's best record to be their '93 EP.

In all seriousness, you just have to try it. Feeling like you've actually jumped into a mecha and are in a dangerous mission is where the enjoyment comes from.

Only critique I have —though we all know 2012 will call me a faggot for it—, is towards the lack of an auto-mapping feature. Think what you may, but drawing maps by hand is something I sure don't miss from older games. It only works for pnp.
Besides, I'm piloting a fucking robot, just build the feature in, you lazy-ass nazis.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Thanks.
Guess the style and atmosphere are the main selling points together with exploration and long-term resource management, but the latter two are next to impossible to show on screenshots. Have you played the demo?

Oh no I haven't. It probably just isn't my type of game so eh. It does look cool though, so if thats the selling point, i see it garnering a small (perhaps cult) following

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Only critique I have —though we all know 2012 will call me a faggot for it—, is towards the lack of an auto-mapping feature. Think what you may, but drawing maps by hand is something I sure don't miss from older games. It only works for pnp.
I'm mocking the idea of implementing an automap not because of the 'MUH HARDCOREZ' attitude but because the maps in the game are rather small and simple (and it kinda kills the point of teleporters and spinners when you can just look at your current position and facing direction). Frankly, if you're struggling w/ the Tunnels map from the demo even w/ extra subtle details to make the navigation easier, I've got some good news for you...

...here's the plan of a new version of this map from Das Geisterschiff: Enhanced Edition.
DbjYJPhXUAETutT.jpg:large

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Trying out uploading my mp4s to Imgur. It'll save me a couple of steps, converting and optimizing the gifs, and hosting them on my own website.

If this works, you'll see a parade of little anime desus and their magical weapons.

Edit: It's not animated in my browser. Oh well. I guess it's back to making my own gifs?

Edit 2: Does this work?

Edit 3: What about this?
ZxIBET0.mp4

Edit 4: OK, I give up. I guess I have to make my own gifs. Imgur's mp4 upload doesn't seem to be compatible with sharing anywhere else. You can check out https://i.imgur.com/ZxIBET0 if you really want to, but whatever.

Edit 5: Gif hosted on my own website.
MagicWeapons_optimized.gif

Last edited:
I thought I would post some gameplay of a RPG I'm working on for phones and tablets.

Combat is "step" turn-based, like a roguelike, but the overall design is more inspired by Ultima, Fallout and the like. It has or will have most of the features you expect from a prestigious RPG.

Right now I'm using programmer art. Think it's too "RPG Maker"? I think I'll need to hire an artist soon.

More details will eventually follow, including a thread, an official title, and a playable demo!

levgre

Novice
Making a basic local map system, the player would be raiding the village here. It'll have crop fields and other terrain as well outside the village, more building variety, and of course locales other than villages. It's actually 5x5 larger tiles that the player moves on. When on the same tile as enemies, it goes into the standard battle screen.

image.png

The mechanics i have in mind right now are -

rally points for enemy soldiers (capturing them would lead to disorganization/possible surrender, or just watching the rally points lets you track enemy spawns better)
setting fire to buildings (more useful for stuff like barracks, can give you a more vicious reputation though depending on the fire spreading and killing innocents)
slaughtering of unarmed people (could stop them from arming themselves and help lead to surrender, but again might not be a reputation the player wants)
Stealth/fog of war (line of sight needed to see enemy troops, ambushing at sharply cornered crossroads, player can try to hide approach until getting close to village)
Multi-tile ranged shots before the player closes distance, maybe sprinting to do so quicker at a cost of stamina. I suppose the player could do long range attacks too, although it usually wouldn't be in their favor).

Last edited:
Love the descriptions in the combat log. Nice detail.
Thanks, I always think combat logs amplify the "RPG factor" for whatever reason. Right now there are no dicerolls and the mechanics are pretty much a placeholder to test the engine and editor, but that will change soon.

In this clip, I use the editor tools to possess NPCs and move them around. This is useful for testing, and the engine support could also be leveraged in e.g. a party/companion system or possession spell.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
levgre Your world map has much higher production value than the battle map and UI. It looks a little stretched though. Where did you get the map? Are you going to do the rest of the game in that style and palette?

levgre

Novice
Looks interesting, planning something like Ogre Battle?

Some similarities, but not really. The map is a smaller part of the game since the party combat is the main focus. The player gets in, secures objective/money, and gets out. The maximum amount of squads would probably be 3-4, with 1-2 being typical (might make it a soft cap, i.e. you could bring more 4 squads on any mission, but the cost in smaller attacks would make it a net loss). The campaign mode is more freeform like say Battle Brothers, although I do plan some set scenarios/storylines as well, based on the player's relations with factions and type of reputation.

levgre Your world map has much higher production value than the battle map and UI. It looks a little stretched though. Where did you get the map? Are you going to do the rest of the game in that style and palette?

They are just placeholders right now, map was creative commons license on google. I have someone working on character art right now which I'll share somewhat when they finish some more pieces. After that's done, I'll have more time to think about the map art themes.

levgre

Novice
Here's the 2 combat "idle" stances done by the artist I'm commissioning so far (well, the spear one is in mid revisions).

So the body sprite will be changed based on armor being worn (this is just clothes/unarmored), as well as the head sprite for the character. The weapon sprite will be changed too. Polearms would all use the 2nd stance here, and all 2 hand swords would use the first (and maybe some other 2 hand weapons like greataxe or maul).
image.png

It's meant to be androgynous, although maybe later on some changes will be made for females to make them a bit more slender. At least when just in clothes, rather than armored in which case both males and females would be similarly bulky.

Lately I've been working on a faction system to help direct enemy AI. For instance, wolves shouldn't attach each other, but should attack players, villagers, and goblins. Villagers should be neutral toward players, but become hostile when attacked. Companions or friends should protect you. This sounds easy enough, but has complications:
  • I had put off the engine feature of storing arbitrary global game state, so that had to be implemented first. I also implemented arbitrary area state while I was at it. My engine layer is totally separate from the game layer, so a huge degree of modding and customization would be possible if I polished up the tools (think NWN).
  • Added GUI to view and modify global game state, including factions.
  • In terms of gameplay, what happens if a player pisses off a faction they need to finish the storyline? You could make those NPCs invincible and unpissoffable (plot flag in NWN). You could design the quests with as much tolerance for bloodshed as possible (don't rely too much on NPCs). You could warn the player if they break the story, but let them keep playing. You could implement some way to reset faction attitudes for a price.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
rather than armored in which case both males and females would be similarly bulky.

What, no midriff-baring boobplate? That's a bold game design decision for this target audience.

(And did you see the Epic NPC Man episode on that? I love that show.)

levgre

Novice
rather than armored in which case both males and females would be similarly bulky.

What, no midriff-baring boobplate? That's a bold game design decision for this target audience.

(And did you see the Epic NPC Man episode on that? I love that show.)

Just watched some of them, they are pretty hilarious. I think tactical RPG gamers are tolerant of heavily armored females, although they still want their faces to be unrealistically pretty. I'll try to not cave in on that as well, although it's not a hill I'd want to die on.

Lately I've been working on a faction system to help direct enemy AI. For instance, wolves shouldn't attach each other, but should attack players, villagers, and goblins. Villagers should be neutral toward players, but become hostile when attacked. Companions or friends should protect you. This sounds easy enough, but has complications:
  • I had put off the engine feature of storing arbitrary global game state, so that had to be implemented first. I also implemented arbitrary area state while I was at it. My engine layer is totally separate from the game layer, so a huge degree of modding and customization would be possible if I polished up the tools (think NWN).
  • Added GUI to view and modify global game state, including factions.
  • In terms of gameplay, what happens if a player pisses off a faction they need to finish the storyline? You could make those NPCs invincible and unpissoffable (plot flag in NWN). You could design the quests with as much tolerance for bloodshed as possible (don't rely too much on NPCs). You could warn the player if they break the story, but let them keep playing. You could implement some way to reset faction attitudes for a price.

You could just have the negative faction relation ignored during the quest. It's not necessarily unrealistic for adversaries to be tolerated when they are needed for something (perhaps the quest meeting would be outside the hostile village or headquarters).

To avoid the "killing of the questgiver" issue, the person who gives it could be impossibly guarded (leader wwith like 20 bodyguards), or be spawned just for the quest. If the player insists on finding a way to kill the target, then they are in a loss state. I suppose this is why usually games do the invincibility route (but i have seen kills allowed with just resulting in a loss state).

Last edited:

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Was it Oblivion [edit: No, I think it was Morrowind.] that would let you kill plot-essential characters? You could kill them, but then the game would warn you that you couldn't finish the game, and maybe you'd rather not save over a finishable game.

World of Warcraft had an approach to increasing relation with a faction. If your relation score was too low, they would attack you on sight. But if you killed a bunch of their enemies you could raise your relation until the faction tolerated you, and then you could get quests from them. There are probably better ways to do this than grinding Moonkin for hours just to enter the Dreamgrove, but at least it's something.

Mount & Blade would let you approach battles in progress and then choose which side to join. During the battle you can't harm allies. And then when the battle is over, your relationship with the ally goes up and relation with the enemy goes down. Do that enough and eventually a faction will stop fighting you.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I suppose you could always find a way to force a temporary truce with a faction whose cooperation is needed to close the story, like how you had the Ulu-mulu in Gothic which let you walk somewhat unmolested in Orc territory.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For a while I considered setting the entire game within a creepy circus. I decided against it because I couldn't think of enough character classes or an epic enough story. Now though I think I might be able to pull it off. Maybe that will be an expansion campaign one day.

creepy circus setting sounds like a cool setting, i might steal it if you don't do something with it

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
it'll be a while for me too, have at least 2 games i have to do before i even think of new projects

I've implemented the basics of factions. Here I watch goblins and wolves throw deadly 1s at each other from the relative safety of a building.

Wolves can't open doors. :smug:

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
A couple weeks ago I was playing Himeko Sutori and I decided that the night scenes looked really bad. They were just dark, with no color or light to catch the eye. I get that it's at night and it's supposed to be dark. But that doesn't mean it has to look boring. So I thought maybe some rim lighting would improve the look.

NightRimLighting.jpg

The blue highlights on the grass tufts and around the sides of the tree are not made from any light source. They're built into the materials. Most rim lighting is journeyman-level technical art. But this stuff was insanely complicated. It took me days to get it all right. I had to change the highlight color with time of day. And I had to mess with normal-space and world-space calculations to get the angle right on some complicated materials that have normal maps in normal space, but detail normal maps that tile in triplanar projection world space.

In the end though, I think the night scenes are much more pleasing to look at.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Hey guys it's indie game developer and living legend Tavernking here, I am making a choose your own adventure game with stats/battlles/C&C and I was wondering if that was enough RPGness to merit it's own thread on this forum? Delicious to be here

A couple weeks ago I was playing Himeko Sutori and I decided that the night scenes looked really bad. They were just dark, with no color or light to catch the eye. I get that it's at night and it's supposed to be dark. But that doesn't mean it has to look boring. So I thought maybe some rim lighting would improve the look.

NightRimLighting.jpg

The blue highlights on the grass tufts and around the sides of the tree are not made from any light source. They're built into the materials. Most rim lighting is journeyman-level technical art. But this stuff was insanely complicated. It took me days to get it all right. I had to change the highlight color with time of day. And I had to mess with normal-space and world-space calculations to get the angle right on some complicated materials that have normal maps in normal space, but detail normal maps that tile in triplanar projection world space.

In the end though, I think the night scenes are much more pleasing to look at.

That looks really good. Massive improvement.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Hey guys it's indie game developer and living legend Tavernking here, I am making a choose your own adventure game with stats/battlles/C&C and I was wondering if that was enough RPGness to merit it's own thread on this forum? Delicious to be here

Show us what you got!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom