Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship RPG Update #12: The Protectors' Enclave

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Artwork looks really fucking great!

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I was hoping for an update on the House Ecclesiastes, but this is still good. The faction archetypes are growing on me. Initially, I was turned off by the religious part, but I think this presents a nice spread of factions/ideas.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Amazing with every update. Cannot wait for this game to be released, even if its far off. The premise alone gets me fucked as fuck for a cRPG.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The Habitat – The Brotherhood of Liberty

Brotherhood_finished_zpsph1idbas.jpg

The Brotherhood was formed to liberate the people from the iron shackles of the Ship Authority. Though their first sally -which the fossils of the old world denigrate with the term "mutiny"- failed to completely achieve this aim, the Brotherhood was successful in establishing themselves as a power to be reckoned with. More importantly, their ideals of liberty and freedom are now discussed everywhere.

The Brotherhood's initially pure goal, to free the enslaved wherever they may be, has unfortunately been sullied by the practical concerns of democracy. If the Brotherhood had had access to the older histories they would have realized that democracies beget their own factions, factions which cannot be put down with violence for now they are within. The Executive Council was also forced to consider issues like the right to vote, and whether it should be granted freely to all, or earned through service to the state. The first generation earned their rights rebelling against the tyrants, whereas the youth of today have forgotten even the names of those heroes. Easily swayed by rhetoric and bribed with cheap comforts, these layabouts could hardly be less concerned with such abstractions as liberty and universal suffrage.

To bring freedom to the Ship entire must involve war, and no war may be won without sacrifice, nor may battles be managed by committee. The unwillingness to back high ideals with bloodshed is, as far as the Council is concerned, the reason for the recent losses against the Protectors. Yet any attempt to limit majority rule must be interpreted as a retreat from the ideals upon which the Brotherhood's very identity is based. If every decision, even those which mean death to some of the Brotherhood's own citizens, must first be approved by a majority, how is it possible even to start?

The Brotherhood's mindset is that of a group under siege that must remain vigilant and stand ready to repel the invaders. Their government building is not a tall and proud spire (that can be brought down) but a bunker-like structure. Turtle vs Eagle.

Unlike the Protectors who carry the torch of the centuries old Mission, holding it sacrosanct, the Brotherhood's ideology is far less stable. What started as an anarchist uprising driven by the desire to free the people (whether they wanted or not) was slowly transformed into a different form of tyranny - that of the majority. Hard won freedom had to give way to security and the great struggle against the Protectors. Some might even argue that the Protectors and the Brotherhood are two sides of the same coin and question the wisdom of the mutineers who replaced one authoritative state with another.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Habitat - The Church of the Elect (the Garden of Eden district)

Church_2_zpslew3pldb.jpg

As inevitably happens in dark and challenging times, some citizens turn to God for reassurance, the promise of an end to pain and hunger. Or failing an end, at least a purpose.

The Church of the Elect rejected both the Protectors of the Mission and the Brotherhood of Liberty as worldly fools distracted by politics and their own egos. Teaching their adherents that they were chosen by God, the Church frames the journey of the Ship as a centuries-long test of faith. We all face a series of difficult trials, yes, but with a very definite end.

When the Ship arrives at her destination, Judgement Day awaits every citizen. The righteous will be welcomed into the Promised Land of Alpha Centauri-4, while the unrepentant will be returned to the Hell from which we fled -Earth- to suffer for all eternity.

Led by the Chaplain-General, the Church of the Elect is a militant organization. While Christ was undoubtedly a man of peace, what he preached on Earth does not strictly apply in the void of space. Extraordinary challenges require exceptional measures, for even Jesus can't do much for an unarmed man.

The Church represents militant Christianity as no other kind would have lasted long against the Protectors whose God is the Mission or the Brotherhood that sees God as yet another master. As far as the Church is concerned, both the Protectors and the Brotherhood as living proof that men who don't follow the teaching of Jesus Christ to the letter are bound to get lost. It's obvious that the Ship won't arrive to the Promised Land until everyone follows the same guiding light, thus it's the Church's holy duty to save the Mission and land the Ship.

Aenra

Do not fuck this up please.. reaaaaaaaally really looking forward to it; whenever that is, don't give a shit. Many Thursdays 'till i'm dead and buried, so you guys take your sweet time.

Also, do (re)consider DLCs. No, no, don't give me your side, let me give you mine, lol.
You know how often it is i play a fucking game and get to enjoy the dialogues? The story? You know how often it is i play a fucking game and actually wonder if the monkey writing the dialogue actually meant what i'm thinking is actually implied? You guessed it, fucking never rarely is how often. So IF this gets to be what i'm hoping it will be, yes, i would appreciate me some extras. Because it's going to be another fucking decade until the next game written by proper humans comes along; so the more you can extend yours the happier i'll be as a consumer. Gamer. Retard. Whatever.

And we know that games like this one are small by necessiity, don't we? So really, lol, reconsider. Expansion, DLC, don't care how you tag it :)

Severian Silk

Will the new engine still be isometric? How will you handle enclosed spaces?

Esquilax

Arcane
Finally, we are properly introduced to game's villains. Suitably ominous visual design, too.

Not sure I'd outright call them the villains. I expect Vince and company to handle this faction with the appropriate level of nuance beyond "religion is dum".

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
No faction is a villain and religion isn't dumb otherwise it wouldn't have survived for so long. Like the description says, some men need to believe in higher power and nothing will ever change that.

Aenra

some men need to believe in higher power and nothing will ever change that.

Sir, yessir. God first, Country, Family. And ain't nothing will ever change that, yessir.

Back when (crusades):

Gustave_dore_crusades_celestial_phenomena.jpg

Today:

103204-GLgoHkh_3XrZskntIXnpPg.jpg

Klan-country.jpg

kkk-fix-pic.jpg

Just to illustrate, couldn't resist. Am in no way affiliated with the game or the developers. Terms and conditions always apply. May the Lord spare you all, for we usually don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aenra

Religion is for dumb people

uh huh :)
Organized, central systems of belief are the very reason some nations have got to where they are, with the history and cultural wealth they can be proud of. Now, i can understand why it's easy for someone living where you live, calling family the kind of subhumans people you call family to think otherwise, but isn't life unfair? Survival of the fittest.
Can also understand how tempting it is to fall back to generalizations such as religion=opium and conveniently neglect all other sociological aspects, a very part of our own nature and condition, as they are indeed impossible to assail, what with millennia of progress behind us and despite it all. But lacking depth, even surface will do..

I'm just a dumb redneck though, what would i know.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom