Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan Exiles - Funcom strikes again

ortucis

Prophet
https://topconanservers.com/official
Official servers have been up for at least 5-6 days at this point... I don't know what else to tell you.

How come when I browse, I don't see your servers in browser list? :(

I have been playing on certain unofficial EU servers (luckily, no admin abuse) since day-1. Server browser doesn't show any "Official" servers in list in my region (South-East Asia, I am guess "Asia" includes that). I play PvE only btw. Maybe PvP in future..

Or is it that official servers are only for customers in certain regions? Cause even with unofficial, I join servers with playable ping (anything lower than 200) and they say that they are "not available in my region". Which is annoying. Server browser should allow us to exclude servers which are not in our region from showing up at all. Right now I have to basically gamble by waiting for whole server list to load > join a server > that message pops up > go back to main menu > Wait for whole server list to load > repeat.

While we're at it, I'm just going to say that the default leveling up speed is painful and made for people with no lives. Only on unofficial servers with 4X-5X XP for crafting and killing is the game fun. So in a way, I am dreading to play on official servers (IF they show up for me at all in this lifetime) and I know I will just stop playing instead, like I did with Guild Wars 2. I like grind until it become ridiculous.

PS: If you are having performance issues or just want to turn off annoying features like DOF and motion blur (completely missing from in-game options), edit "DefaultScalability.ini" in Steam\steamapps\common\Conan Exiles\ConanSandbox\Config and then set the in-game video options to the preset you have tweaked (I tweak medium to mix between Low-Medium-High for 45-55 FPS play).

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Server browser should allow us to exclude servers which are not in our region from showing up at all.
Oof. Hopefully it's not the same shit the Grey Goo devs pulled where you can only play with people/on servers from the same Steam region. It is such a crazily bad idea that I don't see why anyone would do this.

ortucis

Prophet
Server browser should allow us to exclude servers which are not in our region from showing up at all.
Oof. Hopefully it's not the same shit the Grey Goo devs pulled where you can only play with people/on servers from the same Steam region. It is such a crazily bad idea that I don't see why anyone would do this.

Yeah if you start a "SP" game, it allows you to block people from certain regions. It could be because of IP or because you just hate people from those regions, but either way, Funcom doesn't give you an option to exclude servers which exclude YOU from the browser list during search.

So basically, you have to sit and wait for thousands of servers to load in where most have your region blocked. Nice.

Also, are there any official PvE servers? I can't tell since all servers on that link posted have most generic names ever (and pressing PvE shows no official server at all). They don't show up in-game for me so I am guessing, region blocked by Funcom as well.

Starting to look like a big "fuck you" from Funcom.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, that sounds horrible.

What happened to the simple server lists with easily applicable ping & other filters from... like 15 years ago, that always worked well?
There's also no technical difficulty in setting a max ping for people to join you (just measure for a few seconds before allowing to join).

ortucis

Prophet
Hahaha, oh OK, here it goes.

APPARENTLY, Funcom has region locked East/West permanently on official servers.

Here's Community Manager (Jens Erik) enlightening us all WHY:
We have decided to East/West region lock the official servers for three reasons. The language barrier and the different playstyles is proving jarring for a lot of players. Also, the vastly different time zones between regions made offline raiding an unavoidable issue for a lot of players who would wake up to all their stuff being completely ruined.

This is THE dumbest fucking thing I've ever read. Fuck this company.

First of all, "East" doesn't just include your retarded definition of "Asia". There is whole South Asia where Indians (for example) have more in common with American players even culturally most of the time, unlike Chinese/Japanese/Whatevernese you think is what "East" is all about. Every fucking unofficial server from East I have joined it filled with Chinks and Japs spamming their language and not being able to communicate in any other language at all (saying "hi" is not communicating). So apparently, Funcom thinks that that all of the East is the same thing.

I have always played on EU servers cause a lot of them have English speaking players and ping that is stable enough for me (anything under 250, though I try 200 usually and get it, a lot of time like 150), and since I work late, I end up playing while most westerners are playing on their servers. Now I can't do that on official servers at all and am stuck with not being able to communicate thanks to most people being Chinks on the goddamn servers, whenever they show up. Also, what the fuck has offline raiding got to do with PvE?

Right, so here's what I'm going to do. Fuck, this, game.

1 - Post a negative review explaining all this.

2 - Uninstall it.

3 - Try to get a refund telling Steam that the developers are intentionally blocking me from playing the game on official servers.

4 - Never buy anything from Funcom ever again.

PS: Did I mention that my ping is under 200 or like 250 in EU servers and over 400 in ALL unofficial Asian servers so far? Hm, yeah, nice going Funcom. Unless your Asian servers are hosted in EU, you just fucked over all South-Asian players cause of Chinks breaking things during wrong time zone in Western servers.

Oh and here's a post by another player on that thread:

I'm in NA, I was playing on a EU server. I can't now. Region locks area good thing.

So basically, Funcom wants you to play amongst your kind. Don't you dare have fun with people from around the world.. on WORLD WIDE WEB. Fucking cunts.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Hahaha, oh OK, here it goes.

APPARENTLY, Funcom has region locked East/West permanently on official servers.

Here's Community Manager (Jens Erik) enlightening us all WHY:
We have decided to East/West region lock the official servers for three reasons. The language barrier and the different playstyles is proving jarring for a lot of players. Also, the vastly different time zones between regions made offline raiding an unavoidable issue for a lot of players who would wake up to all their stuff being completely ruined.

This is THE dumbest fucking thing I've ever read. Fuck this company.

First of all, "East" doesn't just include your retarded definition of "Asia". There is whole South Asia where Indians (for example) have more in common with American players even culturally most of the time, unlike Chinese/Japanese/Whatevernese you think is what "East" is all about. Every fucking unofficial server from East I have joined it filled with Chinks and Japs spamming their language and not being able to communicate in any other language at all (saying "hi" is not communicating). So apparently, Funcom thinks that that all of the East is the same thing.

I have always played on EU servers cause a lot of them have English speaking players and ping that is stable enough for me (anything under 250, though I try 200 usually and get it, a lot of time like 150), and since I work late, I end up playing while most westerners are playing on their servers. Now I can't do that on official servers at all and am stuck with not being able to communicate thanks to most people being Chinks on the goddamn servers, whenever they show up. Also, what the fuck has offline raiding got to do with PvE?

Right, so here's what I'm going to do. Fuck, this, game.

1 - Post a negative review explaining all this.

2 - Uninstall it.

3 - Try to get a refund telling Steam that the developers are intentionally blocking me from playing the game on official servers.

4 - Never buy anything from Funcom ever again.

PS: Did I mention that my ping is under 200 or like 250 in EU servers and over 400 in ALL unofficial Asian servers so far? Hm, yeah, nice going Funcom. Unless your Asian servers are hosted in EU, you just fucked over all South-Asian players cause of Chinks breaking things during wrong time zone in Western servers.

Oh and here's a post by another player on that thread:

I'm in NA, I was playing on a EU server. I can't now. Region locks area good thing.

So basically, Funcom wants you to play amongst your kind. Don't you dare have fun with people from around the world.. on WORLD WIDE WEB. Fucking cunts.
trump_build_it.jpg

ortucis

Prophet
I agree, Funcom is the Donald Trump of online gaming.

Asia has a lot of muslims too. Coincidence? I think NOT!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Yeah... this is incredibly stupid on Funcoms part.
No way I'm ever going to buy this game now, I really can't support such BS.

Oh, well... guess Funcom really doesn't like their customers.
Moving on.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
Yeah... this is incredibly stupid on Funcoms part.
No way I'm ever going to buy this game now, I really can't support such BS.

Oh, well... guess Funcom really doesn't like their customers.
Moving on.

I think what really bothers me is that I am right now playing on unofficial servers with people who now I am friends with, we are clan members now. And most of them are from different regions.

People didn't pay to play on unofficial servers. If the game was advertised on day-1 as "asinine move from Funcom will make sure you don't jump that wall", a lot of people wouldn't have touched this game. Now they've made their money back and are busy pulling this shit.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Well actually it was just a fuck-up from our original service provider that the region locking wasn't in place when we launched. Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to incompetence.

I get that you don't like it (and it wasn't a decision I had anything to do with) but we've been planning about this for at least 6 months internally because of the problems we see that it causes in the other survival games.

As for people not paying to play on unofficial servers... we almost didn't have official servers at all. We wanted to have 30 day wipe servers because we knew it would be a rocky road in the beginning of Early Access.

ortucis

Prophet
I get that you don't like it (and it wasn't a decision I had anything to do with) but we've been planning about this for at least 6 months internally because of the problems we see that it causes in the other survival games.

Where is the blog post or Steam announcement telling people that they can't play with their friends from other regions on official servers? Why keep it a secret?

And why not announce the possibility on day of the launch so people wouldn't waste money on your game? (I guess we all know the answer to that)

Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to incompetence.

Sounds like good old fashioned dishonesty to me. The fact that a Steam news announcement doesn't mention it in bold letters in title itself, says a lot.

I was so excited about this game, but now so turned off, haven't even launched it and even stopped watching Let's Plays from some YouTuber's I usually watched. It just disgusts me every time I look at the name now.

You know what? Forget everything else, I just wanna know why same rules apply to official PvE servers when you can't destroy player buildings in it? That is even a bigger WTF.

Grokalibre

Savant
Wow, so even in 2017, when we have a shitton of sources of informations, "free demos", steam refunds, etc, there are people who rush and buy a game day 1 based on their imagination of what it will be, only to be disappointed and later whine like little bitches 'cos reality doesn't fit their expectations.
Keep it up guys, whatever happens, don't change!

ortucis

Prophet
Wow, so even in 2017, when we have a shitton of sources of informations, "free demos", steam refunds, etc, there are people who rush and buy a game day 1 based on their imagination of what it will be, only to be disappointed and later whine like little bitches 'cos reality doesn't fit their expectations.
Keep it up guys, whatever happens, don't change!

Don't be a twat.

My complaint is about their official server policy, not the gameplay. I don't have issues with gameplay since I enjoy it a lot. But their official policy of blocking regions on official servers is moronic and a scam.. ish.. for players who were waiting for official servers.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Where is the blog post or Steam announcement telling people that they can't play with their friends from other regions on official servers? Why keep it a secret?

And why not announce the possibility on day of the launch so people wouldn't waste money on your game? (I guess we all know the answer to that)
I understand that it is very relevant to your particular situation, but it is certainly not relevant to the majority of players. Certainly not enough to warrant some giant red warning text like you are advocating. Region blocking has been there since day 1, but as mentioned, it was not enabled on the official servers (due to oversight).

Assuming this is some form of scam is... Look just count the number of unofficial servers vs official servers. If the official servers just disappeared tonight, it would not be a problem for the majority of players.

For the record, though, I absolutely agree it was fucking stupid that it wasn't enabled on launch day.

This is not an MMO. You can play solo, co-op and with whoever you want to on a server that you control wherever you want in the world. The problem here is that you don't like how we have configured *our* servers, which is one of the many options you have available.

You know what? Forget everything else, I just wanna know why same rules apply to official PvE servers when you can't destroy player buildings in it? That is even a bigger WTF.
Because there are plenty of ways to grief the shit out of people that don't involve PvP. Those tend to be exacerbated on PvE servers where people have no way to remove the wall blocking the dungeon entrance etc.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Why not have a select few servers that allow all regions? As long as the players know what they are getting into, what is the problem? H&H has one server, and that is a game with permadeath... not like you can't raid during the night on a region-locked server.

Not everyone wants to take the risk of playing on an unofficial server in a high time-investment game, not unless they personally know whoever is running the server.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
We're currently in firefighting mode, trying to make sure everything runs decently etc. I think people will take a more level headed look at server policy when the more basic stuff is stable.

ortucis

Prophet
I understand that it is very relevant to your particular situation, but it is certainly not relevant to the majority of players. Certainly not enough to warrant some giant red warning text like you are advocating. Region blocking has been there since day 1, but as mentioned, it was not enabled on the official servers (due to oversight).

Assuming this is some form of scam is... Look just count the number of unofficial servers vs official servers. If the official servers just disappeared tonight, it would not be a problem for the majority of players.

For the record, though, I absolutely agree it was fucking stupid that it wasn't enabled on launch day.

This is not an MMO. You can play solo, co-op and with whoever you want to on a server that you control wherever you want in the world. The problem here is that you don't like how we have configured *our* servers, which is one of the many options you have available.

When most people buy these games, they don't buy them all excited for unofficial servers where they may or may not be able to enjoy the game depending on the kind of people moderating them. They buy them thinking that the company they are paying will put up official servers where they will be able to play with other people under proper admins who won't abuse their control. When you are making a game like this, the official servers are a part of the service you are providing. You're damn right I have problem with how you have YOUR servers configured since it affects ME, a paying customer.

Because there are plenty of ways to grief the shit out of people that don't involve PvP. Those tend to be exacerbated on PvE servers where people have no way to remove the wall blocking the dungeon entrance etc.

So just to be clear, instead of making areas like dungeon entrance, "non-buildable" like you JUST did in a patch with NPC spawn areas, your solution is to not have any PvE servers where people can play from different regions? Alrighty then..

Anyway, done with the game, deleted it. Not going to leave a negative review though since I've played this game enough (80+ hrs) and I enjoyed my time with the friends I made on unofficial servers (who were all waiting for unofficial servers but nvm that now..). And as a developer myself, I do hate people leaving negative reviews for one-two things they didn't like while enjoying most of the game.

Good luck with your game. I just bought Mirror's Edge Catalyst and Civilization 6, that should keep me occupied for the near future..

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
TL;DR Even people from Brazil don't wanna play with BR's. Good work Bylam.. Keep em region locked.

When most people buy these games, they don't buy them all excited for unofficial servers where they may or may not be able to enjoy the game depending on the kind of people moderating them.

Based on what? Your own personal feels? Unofficial Servers dominate the survival market. No player buys a survival game in 2017 and expects to play on an official server unless they have a huge group of friends and want to just stomp everyone else there.

Official servers have no mods, rampant hacking and no admin support. The only player who thinks official servers is where the community is playing are hobbyist at best.

Even hosting official servers is counter productive for Funcom, their renewable income stream comes from people hosting unofficial servers, whereas official servers are a net loss. It's either unofficial servers or sims 3 stuff packs every month, stop being so dense.

ortucis

Prophet
When most people buy these games, they don't buy them all excited for unofficial servers where they may or may not be able to enjoy the game depending on the kind of people moderating them.

Based on what? Your own personal feels? Unofficial Servers dominate the survival market. No player buys a survival game in 2017 and expects to play on an official server unless they have a huge group of friends and want to just stomp everyone else there.

Official servers have no mods, rampant hacking and no admin support. The only player who thinks official servers is where the community is playing are hobbyist at best.

Even hosting official servers is counter productive for Funcom, their renewable income stream comes from people hosting unofficial servers, whereas official servers are a net loss. It's either unofficial servers or sims 3 stuff packs every month, stop being so dense.

If unofficial server dominate, why are people demanding offciaial Conan servers and why are there so many official servers now? There is demand and they are supplying it, with their own moronic censorship. It isn't feels, learn to pay attention to the market next time before posting.

And hobbyist or not, people paid for their game and asked for official servers while complaining 24/7 about them. The whole point of official servers is that people expect stable place with better admin control. Just cause Funcom is half-arsing their servers, doesn't mean official servers are for "hobbyist" or that unofficial are the better option for survival games.

I love it when people pull out facts from their arse randomly in forums while ignoring what is actually going on in front of their face.

While we're at it, they didn't earn so much money in short amount of time because the "hardcore" crowd with dedicated servers is buying it. It's because of the "hobbyist".

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Ater seeing the game a bit more on Youtube I'm liking what I'm seeing. But I'm just left wondering where the game is even going. What the overall plan is. Extended map with more areas? Dungeon delving for weapons, artefacts and rare crafting items?

What exactly roadmap for the game?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Ater seeing the game a bit more on Youtube I'm liking what I'm seeing. But I'm just left wondering where the game is even going. What the overall plan is. Extended map with more areas? Dungeon delving for weapons, artefacts and rare crafting items?

What exactly roadmap for the game?

They mostly stated that. We don't know specifics but here are some broad topics:

• Improved Combat
  • Spell Casting System
  • Stretching out the content of each tier (more armor types ect..)
  • Seige Weaponry
  • Improved City Mechanics (This is what I am most excited to hear more about)
  • More PVE Content (Raid Bosses? Dungeons?)

The way they talk about it, it seems thralls or mercenaries you rescue will have full schedules, require a place to sleep and food to eat. It sounds like they want to make player villages more alive and detailed..

At the end of the day it's survival, your just talking about lipstick on the pig.. The real diversion will come from modding communities.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom