Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan Exiles - Funcom strikes again

Aenra

Jesus, bylam just told me that ... And you immediately attacked him

You little attention whore.. this was not about you, at all. Not even in the slightest. That's one. No one mentions you, think that's a clue?
Two, if you could into reading (has Youtubing fucked up your mind entirely?) you'd have already comprehended why i posted, let alone how, the incident being over by now, there is no issue here. None. Our brofisting each other and effectively calling it a day/handshaking should have (for most, but obviously not you..) signified as much. Hell, we even had good things to say about each other.. i mean..

Now please.. take your obnoxious persona back to your Youtube channel, or to the forum threads dedicated to you or yours. Sad but true, the more time goes by, the more of you lot there are. Need not affect the rest of us.

/memememememe

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Now please.. take your obnoxious persona back to your Youtube channel, or to the forum threads dedicated to you or yours.
what in the flying fuck are you talking about here? What YouTube channel?

Anyway, I don't think I came through as an attention whore, all I said that the guy wasnt peddling anything and you jumped at him with wall of text about funcom being cunts.

Like you jumping at me immediately after a small remark. You are really an aggressive guy online. Like you always reacting with full force even to the slightest remark. Relax bro, this is the codex.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You deserve more tags..i won't bother with you further and derrail this thread (which is not about you).
Yeah, tags are scaaary...booooooooo.... This thread is not about me alright . Compering our posts ITT, it's more about you. :smug:

flabbyjack

Arcane
bylam
Don't forget to monetize cosmetics, they are acceptable in both F2P and P2P MMOs. You can also add backer tiers or 'supporter packs' that would say add an icon next to your name in chat, so everyone knows that you supported the game
Players seemed to love the time-wasting modular building of Fallout 4, so good luck with that but it could also really weigh down the server

bylam

Funcom
Developer
I like what I've learned so far. A few questions:

1) Will you have to engage in combat in order to gain experience and make progress? Or can you advance as for example a rogue-like character who evades combat and focuses more on scavenging and stealing?

2) Will the setting be low-magic, or will anyone be able to learn magic and run around casting fireballs?

3) What geographical area will the game be limited to at launch? The screenshots I've seen have all been from arid desert areas.

4) Will there be climbing, swimming and diving?

Might be worth saying Early Access Launch vs Full Launch so things are clearer in these answers.

1) I don't see why we wouldn't have XP for doing other things than combat, but I don't honestly know. I will find out from the guys designing the RPG system what they have planned.
2) Low magic - no spellcasters. You can craft some alchemical stuff, but no magic users running around.
3) It depends on how quickly the artists can get stuff done. Starting with desert but planning to have snowy mountains, highlands, forest and swamp. Sequentially developed, so it'll just depend on how fast it goes for Early Access and then rollouts after that.
4) Perhaps/perhaps not for Early Access launch, but definitely for Launch. Depends on how other features go.

One simple question, will this be like Rust so that everything you do can be destroyed while you are offline?
Yes, but we are hoping to give you appropriate measures to deal with it. I can't really say more about that feature yet.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I like what I've learned so far. A few questions:

1) Will you have to engage in combat in order to gain experience and make progress? Or can you advance as for example a rogue-like character who evades combat and focuses more on scavenging and stealing?

2) Will the setting be low-magic, or will anyone be able to learn magic and run around casting fireballs?

3) What geographical area will the game be limited to at launch? The screenshots I've seen have all been from arid desert areas.

4) Will there be climbing, swimming and diving?

Might be worth saying Early Access Launch vs Full Launch so things are clearer in these answers.

1) I don't see why we wouldn't have XP for doing other things than combat, but I don't honestly know. I will find out from the guys designing the RPG system what they have planned.
2) Low magic - no spellcasters. You can craft some alchemical stuff, but no magic users running around.
3) It depends on how quickly the artists can get stuff done. Starting with desert but planning to have snowy mountains, highlands, forest and swamp. Sequentially developed, so it'll just depend on how fast it goes for Early Access and then rollouts after that.
4) Perhaps/perhaps not for Early Access launch, but definitely for Launch. Depends on how other features go.

One simple question, will this be like Rust so that everything you do can be destroyed while you are offline?
Yes, but we are hoping to give you appropriate measures to deal with it. I can't really say more about that feature yet.
Early Access AoC was a lot of fun

Edit: Same for Secret World

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Even with their all short cummings I had fun with AoC and Secret World. Looking forward to crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentations of their women.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Even with their all short cummings I had fun with AoC and Secret World. Looking forward to crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentations of their women.
I was being sarcastic.

"Siege battles" that literally were not tested with the number of characters that could actually participate in a siege. Yes, this is fact. I'm not making this up, and it's common knowledge. Siege battles were tested in beta with less players than the number of players that participated in a siege battle in the launched game. What was the advertised number of players in a siege - 150 vs 150, right?

Lovely spawn point camping that took a while to fix. Also Culture PVP lol. Ask any beta tester. Nothing was thoroughly tested. Age of Conan at release was the actual beta test. I didn't participate in the true beta, but I did start with the pre-order one week early open beta.

AoC had good melee combat, but nope, they decided not to put it in Secret World. And then you're fighting "Lovecraft mobs" all the time as if the Cthulhu mythos was about killing things. Apparently Lovecraft = a couple 3-zombie-groups down every road.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yup, those two were horrible for a long time and AoC got even worse with patches. Still we had fun, we ate hearts, melted and decapited enemies.

In Secret World, first "dungeon"s end boss is Cthulhu and you play hide&seek with it in last phase.
But there isn't any game out there that can top supernatural stories, mood and monster design of Secret World. It is a game that is pain in the ass to play, but it is a good pain. (?!?)

bylam

Funcom
Developer
I actually don't disagree with you Mangoose (well apart from that TSW was cthulhu based - it was based on a shit ton of references to other things beyond Lovecraft, Stephen King, Romero etc.)

Specific things mentioned - Culture PvP (urg, that was literally a 5 minute decision that was pulled out based on some beta feedback. Collective groans from the dev team when it was announced as well), Sieges (The biggest problem was that the feature was not finished until pretty much launch and as stated, released with very small scale testing.) Combat system in TSW (Let's just say that there were strong internal differences between the two teams. I worked on both so experienced both sides of the debate).

Early Access is a good fit for Funcom in that sense - we put our stuff out there early and people who want to pay for it (bugs and all) can influence the way it shapes up.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I actually don't disagree with you Mangoose (well apart from that TSW was cthulhu based - it was based on a shit ton of references to other things beyond Lovecraft, Stephen King, Romero etc.)

Specific things mentioned - Culture PvP (urg, that was literally a 5 minute decision that was pulled out based on some beta feedback. Collective groans from the dev team when it was announced as well), Sieges (The biggest problem was that the feature was not finished until pretty much launch and as stated, released with very small scale testing.) Combat system in TSW (Let's just say that there were strong internal differences between the two teams. I worked on both so experienced both sides of the debate).

Early Access is a good fit for Funcom in that sense - we put our stuff out there early and people who want to pay for it (bugs and all) can influence the way it shapes up.
Gotcha. Well mostly what I dislike about Secret World is that the Investigation stuff is so awesome... yet you have to spend so much time in combat to get to them. Incidentally that is a compliment of the Investigation system lol.

Honestly, to me, I would have loved Secret World so much more as a single player game, needing less MMO conventions. And we know Funcom can do single-player adventure (Longest Journey).

Deflowerer

Arcane
God bless Secret World is MMO, since it's great to play in co-op with my gf. Thanks Funcom.

Andhaira

Arcane
Not sure what marketing have planned in terms of "information reveals" but ask questions and I will answer what I can.

Can players play as Sorcerers, and if so what kind of magic is allowed? Conan sorcerers were not your typically 'controllers' but straight out save or die type blasters or demon summoners.

Also:

and even call upon the wrath of the heavens to aid you by sacrificing enemy players on the alters of the gods.

Are you seriously going to have this? Won't your game be banned or something if 12 year old players are doing this to each other?

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Can players play as Sorcerers, and if so what kind of magic is allowed? Conan sorcerers were not your typically 'controllers' but straight out save or die type blasters or demon summoners.
Not really. You can eventually perform rituals that allow you to do summoning type stuff. Like learning the sign of Jhebbal Sag, for example. But no "magic class/weapons" in any sense.

Are you seriously going to have this? Won't your game be banned or something if 12 year old players are doing this to each other?
Well the game will be mature rated and digital only so I'd say we care more about making it true to Conan than too much concern over rating boards.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks for taking questions bylam. While I was hoping for more magic-gameplay, the rituals/summoning is good enough for me. I definitely will keep an eye out for this one.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
bylam I hope you don't take my criticism personally. My fault really for projecting my bitterness towards you instead of everything in general.

hello friend

Arcane
Gotcha. Well mostly what I dislike about Secret World is that the Investigation stuff is so awesome... yet you have to spend so much time in combat to get to them. Incidentally that is a compliment of the Investigation system lol.

Honestly, to me, I would have loved Secret World so much more as a single player game, needing less MMO conventions. And we know Funcom can do single-player adventure (Longest Journey).

The Secret World... I tried so hard to get into that game. Loved the concept, the setting, etc, everything was all around well done - except for the combat. Fuck me, endless trash mobs and button mashing galore. I can guarantee that Funcom would have made at least four times as much money off me if they'd only made it single player w/ the occasional well-executed combat. Fired that game up so many times just to quit in boredom after a bit.

The Longest Journey was a long time ago, mind you. A lot of those people have left, and even for those people it seems like The Longest Journey was a bit of a fluke, if the trajectory of the series is anything to go by.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
bylam I hope you don't take my criticism personally. My fault really for projecting my bitterness towards you instead of everything in general.
Nah, I try not to take anything personally on the codex (and the internet)

The Secret World... I tried so hard to get into that game. Loved the concept, the setting, etc, everything was all around well done - except for the combat. Fuck me, endless trash mobs and button mashing galore. I can guarantee that Funcom would have made at least four times as much money off me if they'd only made it single player w/ the occasional well-executed combat. Fired that game up so many times just to quit in boredom after a bit.

The Longest Journey was a long time ago, mind you. A lot of those people have left, and even for those people it seems like The Longest Journey was a bit of a fluke, if the trajectory of the series is anything to go by.
I swear to god that if I ever lose my job, I should write a couple of books about Funcom from the inside. Best sellers for sure. It's almost too calm here now that all the drama catalysts have left.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Nice sand under the feet. Never seen this technology anywhere yet. Epic has something similar for the snow, but it's not quite like that.

I hope it's free to play.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The character models are a bit more cartoony than I would have liked. I guess it's a compromise with the open world shit, cartoony design lets you get away with fewer polygons per character.

Bester, it's supposedly going to be buy2play. The fact that there's even a moniker for what should be a standard commercial transaction is an abomination.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom