Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Convoy - Mad Max meets FTL

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Overland map for travel. Little (often silly) encounters along the way. Combat is rtwp and requires extensive micromanaging. You can upgrade your vehicles. Setting is retarded. Your cars will squash themselves regularly unless you're heavily into micromanaging. There's not much too do. Encounters are one dimensional.

It could be something but everything felt too amateur, too shallow and too low budget for me. They try to make a Mad Max meets FTL here but miss most of what made FTL great. Spoke to the devs once and it turned out that the games I associated it with (Roadwar and Autoduel) weren't games they knew. Or bothered to look at. Else they might have had some better ideas for this game. Like adding crew management, or genuine scrap salvage, or making updating your vehicles more involved than clicking to improve an aspect, or giving you a setting that's not trying to be comedy but utterly failing.

Really, all they had to do is have this idea, steal the ideas of other games of its ilk from the past, upgrade the graphics and UI a bit and let 'er rip. Unfortunately they did not and the result is a shallow and instantly forgettable game.

Angthoron

Arcane
That's a shame. It looked kinda promising and interesting, but I guess I'll wait until either they improve it or it goes on sale or both. Thanks.

tindrli

Arcane
BnTiIy.png

sometime i just hate that wheel of fortune.. BTW, the game is addictive as hell!!! and quite good as well!!!

Lagi

Savant
Roadwar setting fit me much more than space travels. Plot set-up excuse (your space ship has emergency landing, go around desolated planet searching for parts) is very good, sadly its the best part of the game.

new vehicles set (also MainConvoyVehicle) available each game, increase replayability enormously.

each game there is the same map
side quest are repetitive. there is not enough of them and just in second game, I replay few.
annoying, nerdish jokes (about Pratchet, your crew find pnp rpgs and start playing, knights and dragons)
There is whole faction cars dress in dragons costume. Authors try-hard to mix fantasy theme with they roadwar game-selling idea.

vehicles upgrade in camps are too easy.
grind near camp to max cars is too cheap.
range upgrade is an exploit.
weapons are replaced by better version (no point to keep old one)

you can have only 4 side cars which feel not enough. Each car lost is harsh. Compare to FTL where you really need 3 guys, and surplus is nice addition. Here if you lose one car, your combat effectiveness drop so much that you change your objective into searching for replacement. Each fight I disable about 6 cars, yet finding additional vehicle for my team is a big task.

your car crew don't exist in gameterms.

the shields on cars are too common and dont thematically fit. And are also IMBA, if they protect only against high tech weapon then ok, but like they are, from mid game every vehicle has fancy, gay, filter.

there is only 2 resources parts and fuel. Fuel management is needless. Your convoy is saved, each time when you hit 0, by miracle event. It a big waste opportunity to limit grind.

Combat scenario is always the same. Your convoy being ambush during ride, with one, rare exception (that didnt change gameplay at all): you pursuit (with your MCV) enemy MCV.

You think that if there is lots of fast vehicles, then most encounter end with one side retreat? no way... you have to destroy every single one of your suicide opponents.

Convoy dont even have a start to FTL. Hmm... yet I enjoyed this game a LOT, during my first play I sunk for few hours (it last time happens with Spelunky I think). Too bad it didnt have enough deep to make me want replay it again.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got this for a few bucks on the Summer Sale, gave it a go last night.

I like it. It's kind of like FTL, not as good, but different enough to be interesting. I think it will be fun enough for a few playthroughs, at least long enough to learn what all the different cars are and so forth - best case scenario, go for some achievements and try to unlock everything. The parts you need to fix your ship appear to be randomized, so it's different missions every time.

The setting is dumb, but in a charming way I think. More than anything, the tone reminds me of Superhero League of Hoboken, believe it or not. Or even the original Wasteland.

I like how the text encounters have random elements, even random setups(?). I got the same encounter with the overweight woman and the stand-up comic two games in a row, and they started off with the same boxed description but then things took a different turn even before I made any decisions. Interesting 'alternate universe' takes on things.

Anyway, I'm not trying to sell this game particularly, but if you're thinking of giving it a spin, it isn't garbage. I can see myself killing a lot of hours with it when I can't sleep at 3AM.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished the game on Easy, learned the systems etc. Not particularly enthused to play the game again on Normal or try for achievements. I feel like I've seen it all, and the achievements are either so easy you get them without trying, or so stupid and annoying you'd never want to do them (e.g. "Defeat the already tedious final boss with ramming attacks only").

I don't dislike the game or anything though, it's fun. Going to keep it installed and maybe do a Normal run some time soon. Like FTL, a crunchier difficulty will probably make it a lot more engaging.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom