Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Visually, Copper Dreams seems to be the lovechild of Syndicate and Deus Ex.

:love:

Brancaleone

Liturgist
I've been visiting this thread every now and then just in order to check that they are not changing the ailment/wound system.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
This game isn't even on kickstarter yet and I'm already hyped as fuck.

I wish I lived in a parallel dimension where good RPGs were released as often as Action games.

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
Will these entrances lend themselves to planning your route? Such as you start with varying decrees of information on the complex - the construction plans for the building, some intel on where a group of guards is stationed, etc. - and pick your entry point and approach accordingly? I'm getting some (non-magic) Shadowrun/Cyberpunk vibes from this, so I was wondering to what degree planning your run is possible.

I've never actually played Shadowrun/Cyberpunk p&p, but I think I get the idea. Copper Dreams is open world so it's not run-based or mission based, but when you're tasked with infiltration (or doing that recreationally), you could be given a briefing diskette with anything from a drawn up map of known patrols and the building schematics, to where breaker boxes are or vent openings. However you're often tasked with gathering that kind of information specifically, so you're running in the dark on those. A big part of the ruleset is having AI with sensory mechanics, patrolling, search routines, and being able to call backup, so having escape route planned is a smart idea is an alarm goes off. Makes checking diskettes and taking notes a good idea.

One of the early ideas starting the systems for the engine was emulating an isometric turn based Deus Ex/MGS, and while that couldn't be visually farther from the very p&p-like game it is, it might help get in idea of where we're coming from with the espionage and tactical duct warfare.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Seems this is an incline version of Shadowrun returns, injury system for HP and verticality are cool, fuck, I'm far away from my paycheck, hope they keep paypal open afterwards.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
One of the early ideas starting the systems for the engine was emulating an isometric turn based Deus Ex/MGS

is-this-real-life-700x493.jpg

:takemymoney:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Seems this is an incline version of Shadowrun returns, injury system for HP and verticality are cool, fuck, I'm far away from my paycheck, hope they keep paypal open afterwards.
KS runs for 30 days.. most people get paid at least once in 30 days :D

Diggfinger

Arcane
I don't necessarily think it is about number of people - it's how well executed the ideas are. Styg executes ideas very well all by himself.

They obviously learned a lot from developing SitS, which was a big step up from their previous games.

One change to Whalenought's dev process is they are getting feedback a lot earlier in the design process (which they mentioned they would do in various interviews). With SitS the game was opened up for feedback during the beta. This time they're obtaining some closed feedback from the prototyping stage.

I'm sure Joe will eventually pop in to tell you whether or not they think it's making a difference.

The difference is that Stgy took his time polishing the game (seven years!) and paying attention to feedback. He didn’t have the distractions of kickstarter, backer rewards, etc. SitS was released filled with bugs, and still is filled with bugs. Most of the time I didn’t have a clue if they were even reading the stuff I was posting in their forums, because they didn’t bother, or didn’t have the time, to answer. Still, with bugs or no bugs, it will be better than most of the recent kickstarter releases. I also hope that the camera loading times will be fixed! :D

Fully agreed :mrpresident:

Cadmus

Arcane
If the graphics won't make me gouge my eyes out this time I'll give it a try.
Couldn't play SitS for more than an hour because of the shit pixels. Even the fucking text was barely readable.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Having since played Duelyst very briefly, I'm dubbing (or possiblyl quoting something I read elsewhere) this style "pixel vomit."

Ninjerk

Arcane
Yeah, I thought it was too good to be true that I came up with that.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sooo, at what time is this KS starting?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom