Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That low-poly model reminds me of PS1 low-poly like Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story, which is the good kind of low-poly.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah, it looks like the art direction refers to the second wave of 3D from the late 90's and early 00's.

Mustawd

I don't mind the low res 3d at all. But I'm with Bubbles on that they probably should have something else as an image in that .gif. Maybe some polished "concept" art would have helped advertise it better.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I don't necessarily think it is about number of people - it's how well executed the ideas are. Styg executes ideas very well all by himself.

They obviously learned a lot from developing SitS, which was a big step up from their previous games.

One change to Whalenought's dev process is they are getting feedback a lot earlier in the design process (which they mentioned they would do in various interviews). With SitS the game was opened up for feedback during the beta. This time they're obtaining some closed feedback from the prototyping stage.

I'm sure Joe will eventually pop in to tell you whether or not they think it's making a difference.

The difference is that Stgy took his time polishing the game (seven years!) and paying attention to feedback. He didn’t have the distractions of kickstarter, backer rewards, etc. SitS was released filled with bugs, and still is filled with bugs. Most of the time I didn’t have a clue if they were even reading the stuff I was posting in their forums, because they didn’t bother, or didn’t have the time, to answer. Still, with bugs or no bugs, it will be better than most of the recent kickstarter releases. I also hope that the camera will be fixed! :D

Last edited:

sstacks

Arcane
Unlike WL2, I think the rudimentary graphics are meant to be part of the attraction.

I agree, I'm thinking they want to make the point right off the bat this is the game's aesthetic to appeal to folks who like that kinda thing.

Lucky

Arcane
I wonder what the models for the Serpent in the Staglands expansion will look like in this style. The way they'll sit next to the original pixel art makes me reminisce a bit on the days when 3D graphics were new and being simultaneously released with the established 2D styles.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
I think the major flaw in the earlier game was that it was not turn based. The abilities were pretty much perfectly suited to that mechanics. I am glad this will be TB though. Good luck! I am definitely contributing to the Kickstarter.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Would only support this if it was TB and also a more user friendly experience, although staglands was great to look it, gameplay I just found to be needlessly over complicated just for the sake of it, like the lack of proper zone map and quest log.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Would only support this if it was TB and also a more user friendly experience, although staglands was great to look it, gameplay I just found to be needlessly over complicated just for the sake of it, like the lack of proper zone map and quest log.
It is TB. But a different model than average CRPG.

Jinn

Arcane
This game is going to be so good. I have the utmost faith in Joe and Hannah to pull this off. Can't wait to throw my money at it.

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
:bounce:

edit: I cannot into tweet embedding but mindx2 there is a physical rewards teaser on their twitter as well.

Whalenought_Joe answer for your :incline:

Thanks guys,

We've got a few physical rewards planned: 3d-miniatures of some Copper Dreams characters (and a bloodless hunter from Vol), another round of 100 physical handbooks that come with a code-breaker, and 15 of those are a part of a boxed set with a custom USB with the game, printed ailment/stat reference foldout card and a map. The physical handbooks are turning out neat, we got a real soft felty paper, stained some wood and got some great deerskin. We got a brand for burning a Syndicate a logo in too, that was fun:

SyndicateBooks.JPG

Character models are a 128/128 texture, and human heads are 64/64, swappable for facial expressions. Something like Vagrant Story / MGS were the inspirations on how to make that style look good, we're able to continue what we know, make every pixel count towards something and still leave something up to the imagination. The (WIP) U-Hud and all the item menus are high-res though:

CopperDreamsHUD.png

Jinn

Arcane
Really liking the look of that HUD and UI. It looks like the perfect mix of your Serpent in the Staglands framing side bars and a Fallout-esque bottom bar.

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Amazing how two developers can consistently get system, UI and artistic design right, while bigger teams consistently flounder and stumble.

And the worst part is that the former don't even make a fraction of what the latter do. I swear, this planet...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom