Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Less than $1500 dollarydoos to go :)

Got bored and left

1.5k to go! Come on, people, don't you just want to throw money at those adorable peeps? Do it!

Kz3r0

Arcane
However a name equivalent of "Active Time Battle" is probably what's needed for buzzword purposes.
Turn Based Real Action.
If it's for marketing purposes doesn't need to make sense, just to be catchy.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The only thing i didn't understand is if initiative roll only counts for first round. Because it seems to be the case that all following wait periods are fixed 4 seconds. Ofc since it's realtime you will potentially get turns faster for the rest of combat due to the headstart, but seems minor.

Yes at the moment it just determines who acts first. Not all actions take the same amount of time to complete either. Currently the longest action is an aimed shot and I think some (or all?) movement actions don't reset characters on the wait bar. They get to choose again once they've completed their move action. Originally they went back to the top of the wait bar, but I thought that sucked and was a disincentive to move in combat, which is not the aim here.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The only thing i didn't understand is if initiative roll only counts for first round. Because it seems to be the case that all following wait periods are fixed 4 seconds. Ofc since it's realtime you will potentially get turns faster for the rest of combat due to the headstart, but seems minor.

Yes at the moment it just determines who acts first. Not all actions take the same amount of time to complete either. Currently the longest action is an aimed shot and I think some (or all?) movement actions don't reset characters on the wait bar. They get to choose again once they've completed their move action. Originally they went back to the top of the wait bar, but I thought that sucked and was a disincentive to move in combat, which is not the aim here.
One way to represent movement graphically would be to move the icon of that character upwards on the action bar depending on how long it takes to get to his clicked destination and while he is moving his icon is moving downwards on action bar again to the spot where he can choose another action.

Another way could be to just keep the icon at choose your action part but then you could not compare the time you will spend moving with time others will get to start their action.

Sensuki

Arcane
I think jumping just freezes them. Movement might still have a full wait, but currently I think a 4 second wait after a simple movement is not good, and is especially bad for melee characters. I don't think we'll be getting into this stuff for a bit because the focus right now is movement and party control.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sensuki Whalenought_Joe One thing that might confuse people here (forgive me if I misunderstand) is that the scales of the upper "waiting" portion of the bar and the lower "action" portion of the bar are different. Characters move down the waiting part at an identical pace over 4 seconds, but the action part takes a variable amount of time to go down depending on the length of a character's action.

You could have an action bar that physically changes size on the screen to match the amount of time the action takes, but I guess that could be weird and possibly be too large for very long actions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just 700$ to go with 68 hours left:)

I see 54.

UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/posts/1599161

Mega Box, Miniatures, and Game Design Talk with Sensuki!

First we wanted to say thank you again everyone for helping spread news about the game! We're seeing an increase in pledges near the end, and we're very hopeful we'll be hitting our goal! We're about 97% of the way there (as of writing this update)! That's amazing!

So lets get into some details on some rewards you'll be getting besides the game...

Miniatures
We wanted to show our mockup of what we have planned for the available miniatures to select from any Miniature+ reward tiers. We'll have photos of the 3d printed models we get as proofs before any of you make final decisions on which one you'd like to have! Miniatures will be available colored plastic sandstone, or in a matte white which you can color! (Or keep white if that's your jam.)

Click for high resolution image

1. The Pasaaran Bloodless Hunter. This is a model of a character from Vol, the world Serpent in the Staglands is set in. These hunters are holy warriors who carry massive, tasseled whips lined with runic magic to lighten the weapon and guide it with deadly precision. They carry a silver sword to deal the final blow to their hunted prey, and have a distinctive wide brimmed, purple hat. These have razor sharp silver blades lining it, a last ditch effort should they become disarmed. Peaky Blinders, eat your heart out.

2. The Copper Face. We've talked about the Copper Face Unit of the Mayflower Initiative in a previous update. These are headless monstrosities that deploy scout bots to scan for targets in a wide area. They are equipped with a grenade launcher and plenty of ammunition. This figure sits on ground broken under their immense, machine like weight, and includes a scout bot lifted by a stream of fire.

3. The Wolffz Bay Agent of Asset Inquiries. The yellow jumpsuit and badge get these agents answers throughout the syndicate-run island. Failing diplomacy, a flamethrower also works. This agent stands atop a dock with water washing up around her, with a bucket of seafood, the main industry of Wolffz Bay.

4. The MFI Agent. These agents patrol the city, call for backup, summon their legions to target unsuspecting black market trading zones, seize assets and buildings they require throughout the city, and abduct citizens in the slums for their weapons research division. This figure stands proud with protective radio in one hand and ray gun in the other, waiting atop an MFI built elevator tube.

5. The Quinton Agent. These wealthy, expensive agents use deception and trickery to outsmart opposing agents in battle and inter-company politics. No one wants to be around during a Quinton merger between companies. This agent is equipped with cybernetic eyes and a electromagnetic edge blade. Surrounding the agent are rats Quinton agents use as eyes and ears in the streets.

The Mega Box Tier
Throughout the campaign we had some requests to have larger tiers, or tiers that include a compilation of all the rewards. We have to be careful with how much we can actually do with physical rewards, of course, that's time out of our two-person team. However we could easily oblige providing more exclusives that are simply coming from other tiers or making the game.

Thus we wanted to create a mega box tier here at the end of all things. A few of you have so graciously donated beyond the highest tier, and anyone who has will be receiving this upgraded tier regardless if they change their pledge.

The Mega Box Tier will firstly come in a larger box to house the collector's edition box. We have a few companies we're looking at for these, but we have some custom options that should look great!

Secondly, it will include all of the miniatures we're having available in the game. The Miniature+ tiers can choose any one to be packaged with their rewards!

Thirdly, the Mega Box will also include a signed and wax sealed frame from the introduction animation of the game and a physical copy of the storyboard. We're making a short frame-by-frame intro animation to help set a nice tone to invite players into the crazy world they are about to wake up to. There's something magical about a good frame-by-frame, and we wanted to start including these in the game.

While this won't be a cell image or anything (we're not that old-school), it will be a great frame from one of the scenes.

Finally, the proud owners of the Mega Box will have the option of choosing a Serpent in the Staglands Handbook, or the soon to be created Banquet for Fools Handbook, as well as a copy of Serpent in the Staglands.

Game Design talk!
We had a very fun discussion with our good friend Sensuki about Copper Dreams, the Burning Candle ruleset game design, Serpent in the Staglands and some news of the expansion for it.

If you're interested check it out below!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now that it seems that they are going to make it, I will probably put in $100. No need to overdo it.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Looks like it should hit 40,000$ with about two days to go, maybe enough time for Whalenought to get some more coverage from gaming sites now that it's funded, and a money boost for stretch goals.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Why? Do you think fans can't have overlapping interests?

They can. It is just that in my mind the ammount of people that would like Copper Dreams and also like FF series are small. Dunno why.

It's not like they are making a FF game though. It's just one mechanic that might be similar, so using a name that is familiar with a lot of people is not bad. If someone is going to get butthurt about it then he was probably someone looking to get butthurt about anything at all in the first place.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
52 hours left. They won't reach any stretch goals, but they don't seem super important to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom