Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Corpse Crew Alpha Version 0.4A (Want your input)

grimtitle.gif

denizsi

Arcane
I just spotted him again yesterday on Unity IRC channel. He was asking about how to get animations working.

The only people who'd ever play Grimoire, or Corpse Crew, are from the KKKodex and they're too old school for animations. (Also the game needs to come out on a floppy)

Hobbit Lord of Mordor said:
Can't wait for this game, it will be great.

WHOAH. Wait up a sec...

...this guy started his account ni August of THIS year, only a few months ago and he's already collected one dumbfuck and his own custom 'queen of faggotry' labels? Did I miss somethng? Is there a spamload of quickly retardoed threads by this guy?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Have done three sample levels in Unity combining purchased assets with Sketchup-designed seige buildings. They were a great learning experience but the first level of NAZI ZOMBIES was far, far better than the graphics in my most recent level. I have been learning quite a bit about the mechanics of level design in a 3D tool, making use of layers and grids to lay it out.

I found some useful script tools for Sketchup and have begun on a third try, using all that I have learned from hours of editing experimental structures.

This one is looking pretty good. I am using Lightup For Sketchup Pro version to generate the static lightmaps and then rigging the dynamic lights myself once I bring it into Unity.

Result : Looking really good. Not quite as good as one of the NAZI ZOMBIES levels but comparable. Remember I may want to put this game on IPhone when it is ready so I have to keep my geometry and shaders modest to support the 3D Engine for IPhone at a good frame rate.

I bought some brand new zombies and I tore out those ones I got from 3DRT. These new ones are around 4000+ faces instead of 700 like the 3DRT models and the animations and texturing is far superior. These I would compare with NAZI ZOMBIES, except my zombies are looking pretty Lucio Fulci.

I've had up to 144 active at one time and my ATI RADEON crap fossil card is still getting 14 FPS looking at the full landscape with this zombie mob in the frame.

One hint I have taken from NAZI ZOMBIES is to simply make them tougher as the game progresses instead of just creating more of them. If I cap it at 100 active and make the zombies increasingly more resilient, the game should feel harder each day-night cycle.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore said:
Have done three sample levels in Unity combining purchased assets with Sketchup-designed seige buildings. They were a great learning experience but the first level of NAZI ZOMBIES was far, far better than the graphics in my most recent level. I have been learning quite a bit about the mechanics of level design in a 3D tool, making use of layers and grids to lay it out.

I found some useful script tools for Sketchup and have begun on a third try, using all that I have learned from hours of editing experimental structures.

This one is looking pretty good. I am using Lightup For Sketchup Pro version to generate the static lightmaps and then rigging the dynamic lights myself once I bring it into Unity.

Result : Looking really good. Not quite as good as one of the NAZI ZOMBIES levels but comparable. Remember I may want to put this game on IPhone when it is ready so I have to keep my geometry and shaders modest to support the 3D Engine for IPhone at a good frame rate.

I bought some brand new zombies and I tore out those ones I got from 3DRT. These new ones are around 4000+ faces instead of 700 like the 3DRT models and the animations and texturing is far superior. These I would compare with NAZI ZOMBIES, except my zombies are looking pretty Lucio Fulci.

I've had up to 144 active at one time and my ATI RADEON crap fossil card is still getting 14 FPS looking at the full landscape with this zombie mob in the frame.

One hint I have taken from NAZI ZOMBIES is to simply make them tougher as the game progresses instead of just creating more of them. If I cap it at 100 active and make the zombies increasingly more resilient, the game should feel harder each day-night cycle.

And the screenshots?

Btw what state are you in. If WA, is it North, South, or near Perth? I might want to come laugh at Grimoire in person one day. Or kill you for the last remaining water and oil after the apocalypse. One of the two.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
A really simple game mechanic I stumbled onto is to set all the doors open or ripped off inside all the exploratory buildings that are not the seige buildings, so if you're in there when the siren sounds you're a dead man, because the zombies pour into it and you have nothing between you and them. Only the seige building prompts you to build a barricade when you approach a window or a door.

This way it's freeform, no portals needed and it's contiguous. After putting more than a dozen buildings into the map I discovered the virtues of setting the fade-in distance a little tighter and this sped everything up enormously. I was getting some frame rate hitching until I realized this was necessary. It also required fog to be set to a block or so and billboarding enabled for most static geometry. It actually looked better graphically once I had done this.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
asper said:
Screenshots, Cleve. Screenshots.

My last map was the end of my "experiments." I've learned enough to go for the gusto now with Sketchup as my design tool. I've built six seige buildings, four of them fail as anything but testing grounds. My original "farmhouse" was fail but I got a lot of stuff debugged using it.

The three story warehouse I am working on now is going to be for the game, not just a throwaway to learn SKU. This will be the centerpiece of one game city/town you have to explore and escape. I have got some randomness implemented in the game in the form of ammoboxes/chests/lockers and random plot lines and events (biohazard team sweeps through during the game with flamethrowers, etc.) but the geometry will be hardcoded in all likelihood.

The interior of this seige building I am working on draws heavily on inspiration from the first level of NAZI ZOMBIES.

I have something really cool working where you can drop your perimeter scanner (a device that sits on a small tripod) and then physically turn it around to monitor the area you want to watch. When it goes off you get a sound and a HUD message to let you know the zombies are coming in through some obscure window in the basement, for example. I just mounted a transparent red fan polygon on the front of it like a laser scope to show you what area it is monitoring.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I have something really cool working where you can drop your perimeter scanner (a device that sits on a small tripod) and then physically turn it around to monitor the area you want to watch. When it goes off you get a sound and a HUD message to let you know the zombies are coming in through some obscure window in the basement, for example. I just mounted a transparent red fan polygon on the front of it like a laser scope to show you what area it is monitoring.

This sounds really fucking bad. What's next, lasers and gauss rifles with a handheld nuclear catapult thrown in for good measure? Keep It Simple Stupid.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Trash said:

This sounds really fucking bad. What's next, lasers and gauss rifles with a handheld nuclear catapult thrown in for good measure? Keep It Simple Stupid.

There are a handful of concessions to higher tech tools in the game now:

1. Claymores you drop where you want which go off when approached.

2. Perimeter scanners (you can pick up or drop at any time) that detect intrusions in certain areas.

3. A portable radar that shows up on the HUD (has to be charged)

4. Decoys (similar to the monkey in NAZI ZOMBIES) which attract zombie attention.

Otherwise it's all low tech, plenty of explodables like petrol tanks and cylinders and common firearms. Note that attempting to stand your ground in the open and fight simply with a gun is hopeless, will not succeed. The game emphasizes real strategy in seige defense.

The building I am working on now has three floors with freeform and even features a retreat all the way to the roof. Note that unlike many shooters a fall of even one floor can break your legs.

denizsi

Arcane
4. Decoys (similar to the monkey in NAZI ZOMBIES) which attract zombie attention.

Setting up traps out in the open just to catch animals to use them as decoys, but also having to provide food for them would be an interesting mechanic.

3. A portable radar that shows up on the HUD (has to be charged)

WTF?

Btw, your latest work does good better indeed.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
There will absolutely be a capacity to befriend dog(s) which will act as guards for you. I just have not had time to work on it yet, but I've got the awesome dog that came with Unity3D as a model.

Because this game will not be multiplayer (I despise multiplayer games as lowest common denominator) certain aspects of game design have to assist you in defending this large building itself. This is where the CREW in CORPSE CREW will be introduced eventually.

Derper

Prophet
Just wondering if Cleve is watching this thread. Nothing to see here, carry on. Hi Cleve, how are you doing? How long does a boot of your Vault-Tec system take compared to other systems? How is the lawsuit coming along? How are you?
:love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom