Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy's Tips and Tricks for playing Divinity: Original Sin effectively [no spoilers]

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
This thread is intended to assist the intrepid D:OS player in achieving the highest enjoyment of D:OS while avoiding many of the pitfalls that can contribute to its more frustrating aspects. All are welcome to participate.

This thread is NOT intended to:

- Rehash any of the information contained within the other, D:OS megathread

- Contain any spoilers on the game's plot

- Ruin any of the surprise factor that is so enjoyable while playing the game and discovering on your own how to go about unlocking many of its gameplay mechanisms and tactical features unless they should be apparent immediately

- Upset anyone

There are enough things that can only be realized after playing the game long enough that qualify as "if only I'd known that earlier!" to justify a thread like this. I'd like to round up these kinds of insights in one easy-to-digest format without detracting in any way from the value contained in discovering the bits and pieces of creativity that Larian threw in that are part-and-parcel of the typical Larian RPG experience.

To that end, here are some of the things I've noticed and/or learned:

---

OBSERVATION: Playing on Hard as opposed to Normal is an exercise in frustration. It merely reduces your HP and bloats your enemies'; forget about your pride and for sake of your sanity (unless you're a masochist) turn down the difficulty to Normal. Easy, however -- well, don't show your face around here if you play on Easy.

TIP: Once you're able to repair your own gear (and any weapon or piece of armor is subject to wear), you don't have to pass every item to that character. Just right-click on the repair hammer, select Use, then switch to any other characters' inventory screen with the left/right arrows at the top. The repair icon will still be active. Click on the damaged item, repeat as needed. Easy!

HINT: Not all quests are meant to be solved immediately. In typical Larian fashion, much is left for later, so to speak. If one quest has you stumped, move on, and it may become more obvious how to go about solving it later. Exploration -- sometimes excruciatingly detailed exploration -- is paramount in D:OS.

TIP: In combat, it is often very wise to save action points at the end of a turn. These points will be added on to the character's next turn's action point pool, which can then potentially be used to get off an extra attack that round, fire off an extra spell, or move a little closer to (or farther from) your foes. This can often make the difference between victory and defeat.

TIP: If you think you don't have enough room in your character's inventory and/or pack screens, you're wrong. They expand downwards, and, as far as I can tell, do so infinitely. Once the screen fills up enough with all your crap, you'll notice you can scroll down. Useful for storing all those ingredients or quest-related items.

OBSERVATION: Often your characters will enter combat while standing in shallow water. This is not always apparent. For reasons you'll discover soon enough, try to avoid this. If the patch of ground you're all standing in appears to be somewhat darker, you might be in water. Move out of it asap if the situation demands.

TIP: If you're having trouble making money, don't be such a goody-two-shoes. As long as no NPC can see you, there's no down side to stealing. Certain objects are worth a lot of gold, and there are quite a few vendors in Cyseal that are happy to pay you money, sometimes for their own property! And on that note, B&E (breaking and entering) is actually a requirement in this game. Don't be shy.

---

There are plenty more I could offer but I don't want to hog the spotlight. Share whatever hints you can think of but please, again, don't give anything away that should be discovered naturally. Half the fun of this game, IMO, is to treat it more in the vein of older games where instant online gratification wasn't existent; it really does have a lot of that old-school, Ultima-like flavor to it, best enjoyed while having your modem unplugged, if you can stand it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
OBSERVATION: Playing on Hard as opposed to Normal is an exercise in frustration. It merely reduces your HP and bloats your enemies'; forget about your pride and for sake of your sanity (unless you're a masochist) turn down the difficulty to Normal. Easy, however -- well, don't show your face around here if you play on Easy.

Not in my experience.

First, Hard doesn't seem to bloat your enemies' HP. It only reduces your own Vitality. No damage bloat either.

Second, it makes enemies more evasive, which is good since it makes you make better use of your abilities and your movement on the battlefield.

Third, my build is by no means the most optimal, but I'm mowing down enemies easily - perhaps too easily. No TPKs at all thus far either, except one reload at the end of Act I. No bloated battle times either - it's all quick and clean enough.

And even on Hard, my hit chances are insanely good. My advice would rather be, "think before/as your distribute your attribute points."

In other words, if you're playing with 4 characters, play on Hard. Hard is actually Normal in this game for a regular party. I guess if you're going with 2 or 3 characters, then Normal might be better, but I can't say for sure.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Second, it makes enemies more evasive, which is good since it makes you make better use of your abilities and your movement on the battlefield.
What does this mean? NPCs try to position themselves better or just higher defenses?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What does this mean? NPCs try to position themselves better or just higher defenses?

No, enemies have higher to-hit chances, and higher defence rating (which isn't about damage in this game, but again about to-hit/evasiveness). The AI is the first thing I hope someone will mod (as part of a more extensive combat overhaul mod, I hope) - it'd be cool if enemies could position themselves better as well.

The good thing about it, though, is that, like I said,
- it does not draw out the battles
- it does make you rely more on abilities and spell/ability combos

It certainly isn't frustrating to me like Crispy said. Most battles are over in just a few turns. Normal is just a cakewalk.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I thought that Hard was the only way to go as well, at first, but then at a certain point in the game I was spending more time looking for encounters that I stood a chance winning than just enjoying the game. While certainly do-able, I felt I was losing a lot of the pleasure of playing the game through what amounts to, essentially, HP bloat. I made the decision to switch back to Normal, and it feels, well, more normal to me. YMMV.

In any case, please, more tips. As is this thread's purpose.

Last edited:

Loriac

Arcane
There is no HP bloat :argh:

(Whatever though :P)

Mob hp is definitely higher on hard. You can see this even in the first encounter in the game - on normal, the two melee skeles take around 15hp to die and the archer maybe 20 I guess. On hard, I noticed that the archer skele was still alive (just barely) after a hit of 27hp. I haven't tried to quantify it precisely, but I would guess that hard gives mobs an extra 30-50% hp vs. normal.

I'm not saying this is hp bloat, but its useful to acknowledge that mob hp does appear to be a bit higher on hard than on normal.

Crooked Bee

Patron
That's weird, I didn't notice that at all + I read that it only nerfs your own HP both on GAF and on Larian forums. I've been playing on Hard since the middle of act I though, so I didn't really compare.

But okay, anyway, if the HP bonus to enemies on Hard is there, it's negligible anyway. So, to honor Crispy's request, here's a couple of tips. I think I already posted them in the main thread, but here we go:

- You can bring your elemental resistances to over 100. That means the respective element(s) actually heal you (including lava, which is a nice way to bypass some of the puzzles)

- Crafting is useful, but pretty hard to figure out on your own. I had to use this guide myself (kinda spoilerish, obv). You shouldn't invest into Crafting with your main char though. I'd suggest one of your support henchmen (unless you're playing a Lone Wolf, in which case I don't suppose investing in crafting makes sense at all, but I'm not sure).

- I'd say you do want to have a 2-handed warrior of some kind. Pump his/her Str + give her enough AP to attack twice per turn (maybe more, but that'd come at the expense of Str) and elemental resistances + max out her Man-at-Arms. I've found Flurry to be particularly powerful in terms of sheer damage, myself. Brings down everyone except bosses in one hit. (Some people on other forums claim it can bring down bosses the same way too, but apparently they have some absolutely min-maxed builds.)

- Summons are your best friend, mostly due to how the AI works. Summons are also the same level as you are. The early level Spider summon in particular proves to be useful later on. I also like the lvl 11 Witch summon, the Undead Champion or whatever it's called; it can take a lot of damage and does some good damage itself, particularly with Oath of Desecration. The Fire Elemental summon is good when the battlefield/enemies' element is also fire, as it is healed by Fire attacks.

EDIT: Merged my posts so as not to spam ITT

Last edited:

Arkeus

Arcane
- I'd say you do want to have a 2-handed warrior of some kind. Pump his/her Intelligence + give her enough AP to attack twice per turn (maybe more, but that'd come at the expense of Str) and elemental resistances + max out her Man-at-Arms. I've found Flurry to be particularly powerful in terms of sheer damage, myself. Brings down everyone except bosses in one hit. (Some people on other forums claim it can bring down bosses the same way too, but apparently they have some absolutely min-maxed builds.)
Can you explain the intelligence bit?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
- Don't put points into crafting at all. Just hold on to equipment that gives crafting bonuses, and equip it when you want to craft something. Jahan is good for this, since he comes with a +1 to crafting.

- Don't waste points on thief skills either. A few hours into the game, you'll have more money than you'll ever need.

As far as I can tell, non-combat skills are all trap options.

Arkeus

Arcane
So, couple of easy tips:

-Midnight Oil- while it doesn't do so much damage by itself later on, it still inflicts the slow status. This means that if your 2H has bully (does Bully works with spells?) and oath of desecration, your damage goes through the roof with the appliance of midnight oil. This is a early-game combo that stays viable all-thorough the game.

-Teleporter pyramids: throw on in the middle of the enemies, and then teleport to it with your melee guys. It greatly improves battlefied control and saves up on using battering ram until you really need to.

-Rain: Rain is the water school equivalent of midnight oil. DO NOT UNDERSTIMATE IT. Not only does it makes lightning spells that much stronger, but it gives a overall debuff to most enemies. It also combos really well with fire, as steam clouds are actually pretty OP.

-Intelligence: There is one equipment slot, the sarong slot, that seems to be solely exclusive for int-based items. It might be worth it to pump int enough (6/7) to be able to wear them, as it's an extra slot where you can get magical properties on.

-Crafting/Loremaster/Pickpocket/Charsima/Blacksmithing/Sneaking/Telekinesis: All of those skills can be maxxed via item usage with barely any investment, and they are all very much worth it in their own ways.

-Sneaking: As a Marksman or a rogue, having maxxed sneaking (from items or not) is very useful: guerrila as either rogue and marksman is very powerful, but it also means that you can end every single one of your turn by going into stealth, pretty much securing your survival.

Crooked Bee

Patron
@ Night Goat Ah yeah, that sounds like a good way to "game" the system. I didn't find it necessary tho; a couple of points in crafting for your support henchman doesn't hinder the advancement his other abilities, in my experience, and makes you less reliant on random loot drops (which have been generally pretty bad for me). Equipment is necessary to bring it up to 5 to be able to craft skillbooks, however.

Playing without henchmen is a different story, of course.

Also, to follow up on the topic of crafting, I've found it to be useful since you can craft skill books and boost your weapons and armor predictably (in contrast to the random loot drops with often nonsensical bonuses).

-Intelligence: There is one equipment slot, the sarong slot, that seems to be solely exclusive for int-based items. It might be worth it to pump int enough (6/7) to be able to wear them, as it's an extra slot where you can get magical properties on.

Yeah, my figher is actually a Cleric so she can generally equip Sarongs. They can give a good boost to elemental resistances and skills like Willpower or Bodybuilding (tho' I've never seen them boost any attribute except Intelligence, which is useless for a fighter). It definitely helped me to bring her resistances over 100.

Your post also reminds me:

- I've found special arrows to be an extremely useful asset in combat. Especially a) ones that debuff and b) ones that create clouds (Static Cloud is especially OP in my experience). You can craft them, too.

- Blind and Cripple are both very powerful. Use them on enemies (including bosses) and, if the check succeeds, you can just bash them to death. (Blind is a Witchcraft spell, Cripple is a Man-at-Arms ability.)

Tigranes

Arcane
Thanks Crooked Bee, I'll try Hard the second time round and see how it works. I think this game is also open to a lot of house-rule difficulty modification, e.g. play someone who doesn't steal, go solo, play 2 characters with no magic, wear no armour, etc. I haven't hired any henchmen and it seems it'll be so trivially easy with them...

Has anyone found potions and shield spells (e.g. fire shield) very useful? E.g. my poorly built battlemage only has 7-8 AP so a shield spell means almost 1 turn's AP gone, it only lasts for 2 turns! And if you drink potions or whatever before a battle, the real-time turns clock so fast it's useless.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Yeah, I'm gonna try playing it without henchmen next time. It's just that, given that you can only max out 2-3 skill trees, that seems to limit your options quite a bit -- and options are my favorite things about this game; combining different spell/ability schools is just so fun. So I just went with a 4-character party this time (which is also the minimum "proper" RPG party for me :P).

Arkeus

Arcane
Yeah, I'm gonna try playing it without henchmen next time. It's just that, given that you can only max out 2-3 skill trees, that seems to limit your options quite a bit -- and options are my favorite things about this game; combining different spell/ability schools is just so fun. So I just went with a 4-character party this time (which is also the minimum "proper" RPG party for me :P).
Well, keep in mind that lone wolf double that- so while you are still fucked if one of your characters get CC'd, you still get as many options.

Zeriel

Arcane
You don't want a lot of melee because GROUNDDDD EFFEX so one lone wolf isn't bad. Melee lone wolf + glass cannon and 2 mages covers pretty much all your bases. It's not bad. Not to say it's any better than 4 characters, though, just not ass.

CC is your worst enemy, though. Imperative you get knockdown curing as soon as possible.

Tigranes

Arcane
That's also why I didn't go henchmen - I'm not using ANY witchcraft, water magic, earth magic, etc., and I'm saving that up for subsequen tplaythroughs. Normal gets pretty damn hard at the moment, but I enjoy that, and as I get better at the system I expect it will also get easier. I've had a lot of close shaves and a lot of reloads so far.

E.g. level 11, fighting a boss in Silverglen,
the first encounter wtih the big priest (Mangiot?) when he teleports away but leaves you the huge fire and poison demons and two marksmen - if I just walk up to the fight I die in 1 or 2 turns. Instead, Nietzsche snuck around and charmed the two marksmen then went invisible, so that they basically got killed by the elementals; even after that I had a very hard time, but the saving grace was 2 voodoo dolls at Crafting lv4 I had prepared beforehand, for ~400 damage costing 0 AP to finish off one elmeental first. Without those things there's no way I could have won that one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom