Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry CRPG for Kids...

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
http://www.angelfire.com/hero/tjekanefir/crpg_kids.htm

I actually posted this on my profile status a while ago, but since I'm an attention whore would like to see more opinions from Codex regarding the the author's general opinion on RPG, let's discuss it here on a new thread.

She has some okay taste from what I could see, too bad her reviews are short and don't really describe anything about the game itself

but at least this wizardy screenshot with cartoon characters really made my day

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Angelfire is still a thing?

Anyway, long outdated list. I'd love to see where she'd put games like "Scratches" and "Eversion" if she thinks it's OK to recommend a game with a dessicated corpse as the MacGuffin for ages 2+.

Last edited:

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
pre-6 Might & Magic games routinely make me shit my pants with the jumpscary low-frame combat animations that the enemies can sometimes have (Insane Beggar, ugh), so I'm not sure if I'd like to see that as a kid, but maybe if I did I would build up some immunity instead

Also, I can't wait for the good people here to notice the review of Oblivion on this site

agris

Arcane
Patron
http://www.angelfire.com/hero/tjekanefir/crpg_kids.htm

I actually posted this on my profile status a while ago, but since I'm an attention whore would like to see more opinions from Codex regarding the the author's general opinion on RPG, let's discuss it here on a new thread.

She has some okay taste from what I could see, too bad her reviews are short and don't really describe anything about the game itself

but at least this wizardy screenshot with cartoon characters really made my day
So I didn't read your post or any of those links, but if you want some RPGs for kids I suggest:

Skyrim
Mass Effect
Fallout 3 or 4
Dragon Age Inquisition
Fable XYZ
nuThief
Deus Ex Human Division

/edgy

ColCol

Arcane
Really depends on the kid. I worked with kids many times. I don't think I ever met a child who I would recommend a normal rpg to (be a it fallout or Baldur's Gate) for entertainment. I've met kids who are smart enough to play complex rpgs but that type of game is just not what the average kid is used to (wants) today. At best, they're used to all the newer "rpgs": New fallouts/ elder scrolls, Mass effect, etc. I mean, hell, I grew up mostly during the ps2 era. I only ended becoming interested in classic rpgs because of my uncles.

As a side-note, I don't think violence is an important factor.

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
i know this is an old site and expected the Old Ones probably might have been to the site back then some 10-15 years ago, but, well, iirc i haven't discovered internet back then, 3rd world country man

Ni No Kuni
she did mention pokemon somewhere on that site, by the way

pre-6 Might & Magic games routinely make me shit my pants with the jumpscary low-frame combat animations that the enemies can sometimes have (Insane Beggar, ugh), so I'm not sure if I'd like to see that as a kid, but maybe if I did I would build up some immunity instead

Also, I can't wait for the good people here to notice the review of Oblivion on this site
yea, I just played Xeen a while ago and the bat creature has this silly attack animation that kinda scared me since it looked like the bat broke its spine just to bite me. a horror-comedy, i must say.

But first tell me, what is an RPG? :itisamystery:
spice up your sex life with thac0! and grappling mechanics!

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Some of the sounds were pretty shit inducing.

In all seriousness, Fable is an RPG more suitable for younger kids. I would also recommend King's Bounty: The Legend, Ni No Kuni, and Defender's Quest.
Fable? The 2004 game? If so, while it does have a cheesy art style, a lot of the content in the game is geared for adults. Sex, gay sex, practically nude people, cursing, gore, choices and consequences... Not something that I'd recommend to a child, though it's something that I did play, as a child/teen.

Really depends on the kid. I worked with kids many times. I don't think I ever met I child who I would recommend a normal rpg to (be a it fallout or Baldur's Gate) for entertainment. I've met kids who are smart enough to play complex rpgs but that type of game is just not what the average kid is used to (wants) today. At best, they're used to all the newer "rpgs": New fallouts/ elder scrolls, Mass effect, etc. I mean, hell, I grew up mostly during the ps2 era. I only ended becoming interested in classic rpgs because of my uncles.

As a side-note, I don't think violence is important factor.
Baldur's Gate is alright for teens and/or the 10+ ages. While it has gore and sometimes suggestive themes, I didn't end up really having too many problems playing it when I was a kid.

Last edited:
I mean I can't tell if the author of that website is trolling or just really spacey - Wiz 7 for kids 2-8? On World of Xeen: "This trilogy of classic CRPG's shows its age in its chunky isometric graphics"... what?

Tigranes

Arcane
Why would you rear your kid on shit RPGs and then expect them to enjoy good ones later

Good adventure games are probably nice for sub-10s, and then they're ready for the real deal

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Kids should be introduced to adventure games before RPGs.
Baldur's Gate II was actually designed or 12-15 years old D&D fans.
Baldur's Gate is alright for teens and/or the 10+ ages. While it has gore and sometimes suggestive themes, I didn't end up really having too many problems playing it when I was a kid.

This, I actually started BG and BG2 as kid. I prefer BG2. It all comes down how well the kid understands/is comfortable with english.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unless it has gaysex à la Mass Effect, cinematic crap, or edgy violence and anxiety-inducing stuff like The Witcher, the kid will be fine playing almost anything as long as its fun and challenging. Even (subtle) sexual innuendo is kind of irrelevant as it will simply go over their heads anyway.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
JRPGs are perhaps more suitable to kids due to their linearity and comic-y style.

When I was a kid, I played the shit out of the Shining Force series on SEGA Genesis. Final Fantasy, Lufia, Zelda and all these 16bit classics are bredy gud. I wouldn't give a kid Wiz7 to play, tbh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom