Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Mortmal

Arcane
He's not banned. He joined before the site got remodeled and his password probably got changed.

Its hilarious , i think too its what happened , seeing how easily he gives up on some games , that doesnt surprise me he cant figure it .If people were banned for liking skyrim here you would lose half the residents.

MMXI

Arcane

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Perhaps he just forgot his password, and he forgot his password because Skyrim dumbed him down too much. Therefore he was "banned" (blocked from posting) for liking (playing) Skyrim. It all makes sense now!

He is not banned. This pretty much explains it.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And now he'll get banned for coming up with a weak excuse.:smug:

Amy K.
Sorry, I've browsed through there, and the racial epithets alone give me that bad feeling to where I just don't want to go back. It's like that feeling I got when visiting Markarth in Skyrim. "Gotta get out of here! Whiterun! Breezehome! I miss you guys!!! Lydiaaaaaaa!"

:hero:

And now he'll get banned for coming up with a weak excuse.:smug:

Amy K.
Sorry, I've browsed through there, and the racial epithets alone give me that bad feeling to where I just don't want to go back. It's like that feeling I got when visiting Markarth in Skyrim. "Gotta get out of here! Whiterun! Breezehome! I miss you guys!!! Lydiaaaaaaa!"
:hero:

:lol:

Poor chap. He told Amy he was banned from the Codex, no doubt after finding out she hated us, to score a few credits with her...then he felt bad when he saw we had discovered his attempts, his oldschool side rebelled, and he decided to talk about his little 'joke'....now all those credits with Amy are gone...and he looks silly here.

Better to just talk about your hatred of the Codex in a private email to Amy, my dear Addict. Credits without the pain.

I know it is fashionable in some circles to talk about how you were 'banned' from the Codex, but really, at the end of the day, you only end up in the same tent as people like 'The Nameless Prick' amongst others. Not really something to aspire to, eh?

crpgaddict

Educated
Wow. Yes, you nailed me, Blackaddaer. I was so desperate for the approval of a single reader that I invented being banned over an issue that no one who's ever visited these forums would ever think that I'd actually be banned for.

Whether you like my blog or not, is my explanation that I exaggerated the consequences for comic effect so unbelievable? If I had said, "I liked Skyrim, for instance, which made the folks at RPGCodex kick my ass," would MMXI have posted a message demanding to know who had physically assaulted me over a Skyrim dispute?

If anyone was honestly confused over my attempt at humor, I apologize, but honestly, I think it's clear from the context of the message that I wasn't actually banned. Jesus.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Crpgaddict, you like old-school RPG games, most people at Rpgcodex also do - i dont understand why there is some misunderstanding?
Also, Skyrim is more RPG-inclined that Diablo3, at least from viewpoint of choices & consequences (D3 has none, Skyrim at least have some), though i cant say i liked Skyrim, it was OK game for me.

Anyway, keep up good work, enjoying your blog.

p.s. You saw Skyrim badass video?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
If I had said, "I liked Skyrim, for instance, which made the folks at RPGCodex kick my ass," would MMXI have posted a message demanding to know who had physically assaulted me over a Skyrim dispute?
  1. yes.
  2. banning has been a somewhat sensitive issue ever since vd's fall from grace, andhaira's altshitstorm and the active effort of stuff to somewhat incline the quality of content and posters, usually resulting in bans and nukes.
  3. not funny, man.

Wow. Yes, you nailed me, Blackaddaer. I was so desperate for the approval of a single reader that I invented being banned over an issue that no one who's ever visited these forums would ever think that I'd actually be banned for.

Whether you like my blog or not, is my explanation that I exaggerated the consequences for comic effect so unbelievable? If I had said, "I liked Skyrim, for instance, which made the folks at RPGCodex kick my ass," would MMXI have posted a message demanding to know who had physically assaulted me over a Skyrim dispute?

If anyone was honestly confused over my attempt at humor, I apologize, but honestly, I think it's clear from the context of the message that I wasn't actually banned. Jesus.

You know, I actually envisioned you growing flushed upon reading my post, and quickly typing out a retort. Glad to see I still have it.

Now, back to your blog and get playing. You think any work on it will be done while you get all flustered over someone writing something on the internet?

Oh, and I don't mean get back to playing Skyrim...

MMXI

Arcane
No it wasn't. The only thing that indicated that you hadn't been banned was your account not actually being banned. But the logical conclusion to come to after discovering that would be that you thought you were banned for some mysterious reason, because there's nothing funny about saying "I liked Skyrim, for instance, which I think got me banned from RPGCodex".

Phelot

Arcane
I think you guys are reading too much into this. RPGCodex is infamous for its hatred of AAA titles even though that isn't really the case (lots of people liked Skyrim here) and his joke fits regardless of whether it was funny.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
It is tough liking rpgs in this day and age. Unless you also happen to like Bioware games.

Well, if you like replaying old games or have a pretty elastic notion of what makes an rpg, I guess one can get a frequent fix. Kickstarter is looking promising too.

crpgaddict

Educated
You know, I actually envisioned you growing flushed upon reading my post, and quickly typing out a retort. Glad to see I still have it.

And for bonus points, I was drunk. 2:00 a.m., drunk, out of town, I stumble back to my hotel room and decide, for some reason, that's a good time to respond angrily to an online forum. It's these moments that make you seriously re-think your life.

I didn't realize that banning was such a sensitive subject on RPGCodex, and I realize the joke wasn't really all that funny. No one hits a home run every time. But after all of the things I've been called, after all the ways in which my work has been trashed, in this thread alone, I find it funny that I somehow crossed an RPGCodex line by making a poor attempt at a joke.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think Blackadder's is actually a real joke, and funny at that. That other one.. if it was clear that it was a joke it would not have mattered.

And for bonus points, I was drunk. 2:00 a.m., drunk, out of town, I stumble back to my hotel room and decide, for some reason, that's a good time to respond angrily to an online forum. It's these moments that make you seriously re-think your life.

Hehe we have a special thread for just that, so we can only embarrass ourselves in there.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
I didn't realize that banning was such a sensitive subject on RPGCodex, and I realize the joke wasn't really all that funny. No one hits a home run every time. But after all of the things I've been called, after all the ways in which my work has been trashed, in this thread alone, I find it funny that I somehow crossed an RPGCodex line by making a poor attempt at a joke.

Codexers can be a surprisingly sensitive bunch.

crpgaddict

Educated
A lot of stuff you say seems to be rather impertinant to whatever you are talking about, same with a lot of your reviews. So I am not surprised we misread you.

Yes, I realize that doesn't always work, too. Early in blogging, I got this idea that rather than simply and dryly describe the game, I'd try to draw an analog to some other area of life, or tell an anecdote, or whatever. Rather than just list the traveling spells in Might & Magic II, I mentioned how I would have liked to have access to them on a recent trip. I realize that these seem like non-sequiturs to some people, but they often draw me into the process of writing a posting when I don't otherwise know what to write. Plus, I think they sometimes work well. I liked the way I started "Scavengers of the Mutant World" by mentioning fears of nuclear war as a child. I got a lot of flak for that in this thread. Anyone who thinks that affected my final summation of that game, or Wasteland, or any other post-apocalyptic CRPG didn't actually read my reviews of those games.

Phelot

Arcane
This all reminds me of Blackadder forging that former Sirtech employee email about Cleve. :troll:

The difference is "Liking Skyrim got me banned" is something that in theory could easily happen (the admin just has to press the Beautiful Ban Button), while someone finding out where you live and coming to your house to beat your ass over Skyrim is clearly a joke.

Maybe if you had said "I liked Skyrim, for instance, which I think could get me banned from RPGCodex" or "I liked Skyrim, for instance, which I think is why they want me banned from RPGCodex".

Yes, I realize that doesn't always work, too. Early in blogging, I got this idea that rather than simply and dryly describe the game, I'd try to draw an analog to some other area of life, or tell an anecdote, or whatever. Rather than just list the traveling spells in Might & Magic II, I mentioned how I would have liked to have access to them on a recent trip. I realize that these seem like non-sequiturs to some people, but they often draw me into the process of writing a posting when I don't otherwise know what to write. Plus, I think they sometimes work well. I liked the way I started "Scavengers of the Mutant World" by mentioning fears of nuclear war as a child. I got a lot of flak for that in this thread. Anyone who thinks that affected my final summation of that game, or Wasteland, or any other post-apocalyptic CRPG didn't actually read my reviews of those games.

I actually like that. Makes the text seem more personal and enjoyable, which I think is why most people would read your blog instead of simply checking reviews at mobygames or gamefaqs.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
And for bonus points, I was drunk. 2:00 a.m., drunk, out of town, I stumble back to my hotel room and decide, for some reason, that's a good time to respond angrily to an online forum.
Good god man, what were you thinking? It's like the first thing to never, EVER do when you're drunk at 2am. Bonus points for it involving the Codex too...

I realize the joke wasn't really all that funny.
TBH it's more that it wasn't a joke at all. If all people involved, both here AND back in your own blog, take it 100% seriously, well... But anyway doesn't really matter now that the (non-)issue's resolved. Also do be careful around Blackadder, he's a generally nice guy but he has a rather... dry sense of humor.

But after all of the things I've been called, after all the ways in which my work has been trashed, in this thread alone, I find it funny that I somehow crossed an RPGCodex line by making a poor attempt at a joke.
Yeah well it's the Codex. We're schizophrenic like that. There's about a dozen threads around the time Alpha Protocol came out that basically amount to "OBSIDIAN SUCKS!" yet when MCA drew us the new trolls (half of which are direct jabs at the 'dex, incidentally) everybody jumped in to color them, modify them, make comments about the colors, modify the modifications, recolor the modified recolered modifications, and so on. I would've never registered if this place was either all fluffy-lovy or all rage-hating.

Early in blogging, I got this idea that rather than simply and dryly describe the game, I'd try to draw an analog to some other area of life, or tell an anecdote, or whatever. Rather than just list the traveling spells in Might & Magic II, I mentioned how I would have liked to have access to them on a recent trip. I realize that these seem like non-sequiturs to some people, but they often draw me into the process of writing a posting when I don't otherwise know what to write. Plus, I think they sometimes work well. I liked the way I started "Scavengers of the Mutant World" by mentioning fears of nuclear war as a child. I got a lot of flak for that in this thread.
I actually like these (yeah I know, I've whinged about your nonsequiturs in this very thread. See paragraph above for explanation). And they occasionally have some hilarious consequence, like that time you dissed Item1, Item2 and Duran Duran, then expected everyone to complain about Item1 but got us all to complain about the Duran Duran attacks instead. Good times. My main issue was always with your rating system, even moreso when you introduced the "I can deduct or add as many points as I want from the calculated score in order to eventually get it to whatever score I want"... but hey it's your blog. I do have to admit I'm looking forward to some 89 and 90 entries, if only because I don't think you'll like them as much as I do.

crpgaddict

Educated
I appreciate the comments. But just a bit of clarification on "can deduct or add as many points as I want form the calculated score." That's not quite true, although I can forgive you forthinking so because I never explained it very well. I think the most I've ever deducted or added has been 2 or 3 points on a scale of 0-100, and I could never see myself doing more than that. I decided to allow a little flexibiility to account for things that don't fit into the other 10 categories, but not so much flexibility that I render the entire scale moot.

MMXI

Arcane
I appreciate the comments. But just a bit of clarification on "can deduct or add as many points as I want form the calculated score." That's not quite true, although I can forgive you forthinking so because I never explained it very well. I think the most I've ever deducted or added has been 2 or 3 points on a scale of 0-100, and I could never see myself doing more than that. I decided to allow a little flexibiility to account for things that don't fit into the other 10 categories, but not so much flexibility that I render the entire scale moot.
I know it's your blog and you're doing the blog mainly for yourself and no one else, but I may as well throw this suggestion out to you anyway. I think it would be a good idea to exclude scores from your GIMLETs. You could keep the 10 categories to shape your summaries/reviews but leave the scores out. Then you could just rank games relative to each other by inserting each game into the list of games you've already played. How you decide where to put each game would be purely up to you, and you could even use the GIMLET scores that you do currently, but privately.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom