Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
He was in this thread like 5 pages ago. You actually think he comes back here and reads it?

No worries NB. I'm just giving you shit.

I know it's a rhetorical question, but yes I do. Like he has every time I've done the same thing. Though he may be at the take my ball and go home stage after the last tantrum.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
He's playing Cosmic Soldier: Psychic War next, luckily in DOS version womyn is completely covered up.

BERndbi.jpg

pippin

what do you mean luckily

edit oh yeah, this is crpgaddict's thread... i guess he needs to be protected from sin

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Cosmic Soldier: Psychic War is not up to the level of its 1987 colleagues, though it does have a number of original ideas. The game is the sequel to a 1985 title (Cosmic Soldier) released only in Japan; my understanding is that they feature similar gameplay, though the sequel improves the graphics and interface. They concern the titular soldier, who takes missions from "the Alliance" to stop the evil machinations of the "Quila Empire," somewhere in a star system called "KGD" in the 36th and 37th Centuries.

In addition to the party members he can recruit along the way, the main character is accompanied by a scantily-clad android who offers various types of advice and assistance. In the first game, this included the ability to have sex with her (with accompanying on-screen nudity) in exchange for increases in power. We saw the same dynamic, though with an actual human slave, in the reprehensible Rance (1989), and I wonder if the later game copied from Cosmic Soldier or if there's another origin to this trope.
He's dropping it.

TigerKnee

Arcane
The Reprehensible Rance would make a good band name.

The Fate: Gates of Dawn discussion was quite some time ago but today I found out that the unreleased sequel uses a lot of stolen Animu assets for some reason, including...

ZI8vUYh.jpg

Now I wish it was around so we could make him play it for his favourite characters.

TigerKnee

Arcane
For some reason, I always thought Deathlord was just a pure Wizardry clone.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
thmain2.PNG

It's never a good sign when you're role-playing a "hero" named Mordred, but that's where we find ourselves in the curiously redundant Time Horn: Il Corno del Tempo from Lindasoft. It is the first RPG on my list from Italy (and one of only three on the list at all), raising the question of whether other efforts have simply not been catalogued or whether the Italians, having sent America its best food and singers for 100 years, decided to be a good sport and import for a change.

I have not been able to find documentation for the game (which seems to exist only for the Amiga), but fortunately an introductory screen offers the basic plot: In the world of Soldoro, a knight named Mordred struggles to save his kingdom from an invasion by the Occult Master. He has sold an artifact called the Globe of Falibar to get the 4,500 gold coins needed to hire other adventurers and outfit his party. His ultimate goal is to find the Time Horn, kept in the Temple of Soldoro, and use it to destroy the Occult Master.

i remember this game

:incline:

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
He already tapped out on that one http://crpgaddict.blogspot.ca/2017/06/time-horn-summary-and-rating.html

It makes me wonder what would happen if some of the Euro-Med countries like Italy had gotten a bit more traction on the RPG landscape, what sort of style would have evolved there? Russian and Japanese games have some distinct "qualities", and it seemed like France had begun to develop a similar sort of national style, but that disappeared and Spain and Italy never really helped add to any sort of Romance Countries RPG style developing. Granted maybe I'm just not aware of what those guys did, that's why it kinda sucks that the Addict is not pursuing this (even if possibly broken) Italian game much more.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Spain mostly did adventures. I believe, La Abadia Del Crime, Black Sect and others are of spanish origin. You'd probably find more hits on a amiga or spectrum database or by searching the right lists on wikipedia
for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_game_companies_of_Spain

Of the 'failure' of the European regional game studio the ones i miss most are Cryo and a few from England, though i guess some people might say funsoft (the longest journey).

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Since this post is so short, let me talk about something else that's been occupying my attention this week: how you might make an RPG out of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn setting. I've been re-reading through all 7 books in the series and I've become obsessed with how good an RPG it would make, particularly if the game was set in between the original trilogy and the more recent "Wax & Wayne" series. I particularly like the idea of playing it with guns, so I suppose it would have to be closer to the latter.

If you're not familiar with the setting, the series uses an ingenious magic system based on metals. The original trilogy only has 10 metals, but by the latter books, the characters have discovered 16. The magic-using characters, called "allomancers," swallow metals and "burn" them to achieve various magical effects, including being able to push or pull against a metal object, strengthen their own bodies or senses, inflame or soothe emotions, and predict an opponent's moves in combat. The pushing-and-pulling mechanic is perhaps the most detailed of the powers. Sanderson pairs the magic with realistic physics: You can only push directly away from you or pull directly towards you. If you push against something heavier than yourself, you go flying backwards; something lighter, and it goes flying backwards. The characters in the novels use these powers somewhat like Magneto, shooting metal objects at enemies, sending armored opponents flying off castle ramparts, deflecting bullets, or imparting additional force to their own bullets.

Much is made of the allomancer's ability to essentially fly using his push-and-pull powers. They use all the accoutrements of cities--nails in doors, window latches, lamp poles, and so forth--to launch themselves high into the air and fly over the streets. When they lack an obvious object to push against, they drop coins or bullet casings on the ground and use those.

I'm not a huge fan of action RPGs, but I don't see how you'd make this one fun without an action approach. I figure a Dishonored-style interface would work well. You'd have to have a meter for each metal, which deplete depending on the speed at which you use the associated powers. You'd pick the powers themselves from a wheel on a console or function keys on a keyboard. Pushing and pulling would be so common that you'd have map those to easily-accessible controls--perhaps the two triggers on a console or the two CTRL keys on a keyboard.

You'd have to use some kind of highlighting system to determine the metal object against which you're pushing or pulling, as well as available metal objects it the area. A simple mouse approach would handle that on the PC; on a console, you'd have to combine looking with the left stick with perhaps a "cycling" approach using the arrow pad. Either way, you'd have to give the player the ability to pause the action to fine-tune the selection of the metal object. Perhaps you'd do this in a VATS-style interface in which the action kept going, albeit slowly.

What I haven't decided is how you'd handle the acquisition of allomantic powers. In the books, characters are either "mistings," with one power, or "mistborn," with all of them. Mistborn acquire their powers by "snapping," and then they get them all at once. But for a classic RPG approach, you'd have to make the character earn his powers through experience and leveling. While this isn't supported by the novels, you could come up with some plot device that makes it necessary for the RPG protagonist. Levels would also impart health and perhaps the ability to burn metals more efficiently so they'd last longer.

I also don't know how you'd handle atium and the "atium shadows" that it produces, showing which actions an enemy is likely to take next, allowing you to fine-tune your own attacks. But if you set the game after the original trilogy, I think all the atium is gone (sorry--spoilers), so perhaps it's a non-issue. Gold and electrum wouldn't be very useful in-game but might serve at various plot points.

What really excites me is how you'd incorporate feruchemy and hemalurgy into the game. Feruchemy is another magic system by which the character stores attributes--speed, healing, strength, weight, and so forth--in pieces of metal and then draws upon them later. The neat thing about the system is that the character has to purposefully weaken himself in order to store attributes. To be able to move at double speed for a few minutes, he has to move at half-speed for a few hours first. Imagine how cool that would be in an RPG. You have to spend a few game hours walking around at half-health to store up healing abilities for later. You have to suffer with an encumbrance of only 50 pounds for a few hours so that later you can jack up the encumbrance to 400 pounds for a while. There would be a lot of tactics associated with this trade-off.

Hemalurgy, meanwhile, basically allows the allomancer to "steal" the allomantic powers of another allomancer by killing him with a metal spike and then driving that spike into himself. It's considered an evil power, and thus it would give evil characters a way to acquire powers without having to level.

There are a lot of ways you could take the plot. There are something like 300 years between the two sets of novels, so you could envision plenty of adventures during that period as the new world finds its legs, as cities grow and pioneers begin populating the "roughs." It's too bad that you wouldn't see the ashmounts and ashfall, but perhaps there could be mechanisms for "flashing back" to the time of the original trilogy. Ironeyes, Harmony, and some other obvious characters would appear as NPCs. Enemies would be tough since Sanderson doesn't really put any "monsters" into his setting, except perhaps the koloss. I think they would mostly be other allomancers, and you'd have to study their powers to figure out how to defeat them. Or maybe the plot could involve the kandra taking various bestial forms. Maybe you could play as a kandra, swapping out various "blessings" as needed--that could be really cool. (I've long since lost people who haven't read the novels.)

Whether they take my advice or not, some developer really needs to get moving and make this. After Downfall, of course.
It's good he's not a disciple of Saywerism.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
amusing side effect of playing the Conan rpg

Good news for those of you who don't like ads. I got an e-mail the other day that my site was in violation of AdSense policies because some of the posts contain nudity. (Ironically, those posts usually involve me complaining about said nudity.) It warned me to remove ads from those specific pages. But Blogger doesn't seem to offer the ability to turn off ads for individual pages--just for the site as a whole--so I threw in the towel and disabled them permanently. The $200 a year I was making from the service isn't really worth going back to all those images and drawing black bars on them.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Good news for those of you who don't like ads. I got an e-mail the other day that my site was in violation of AdSense policies because some of the posts contain nudity. (Ironically, those posts usually involve me complaining about said nudity.) It warned me to remove ads from those specific pages. But Blogger doesn't seem to offer the ability to turn off ads for individual pages--just for the site as a whole--so I threw in the towel and disabled them permanently. The $200 a year I was making from the service isn't really worth going back to all those images and drawing black bars on them.
Amazing

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Amazing

The oldest and strongest emotion of Americans is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of nudity.

Beastro

Arcane
Amazing

The oldest and strongest emotion of Americans is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of nudity.

Make fun of it all you want, but look at what Americans turn into when they get over it. :negative:

The US committed a war crime and killed over 200,000 Japanese civilians with them. The Megaton quest was actually censored in the Japanese release of Fallout 3, did you know that?

Oh boy, that canard again.

I can see why the Japanese are sensitive about it, what I find odd is how little focus the fire bombings get.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I can see why the Japanese are sensitive about it, what I find odd is how little focus the fire bombings get.

Because the nuclear bombings were the first appearance of a powerful new form of warfare.

Beastro

Arcane

Because the nuclear bombings were the first appearance of a powerful new form of warfare.

Except the death toll is always dwelled on when the Tokyo firebombing killed as many as the two nukes combined.

Amusing you say it might be that part, since it's the thing that enraged their leadership, since it meant they could no longer suicidally attrit the Allies even if it cost them more lives than they took, which they were perfectly fine with. Before the fire bombings at least caused non-combat fatalities from all the bombers involved even if they had no planes to attack them with. Instead one plane could take out one city.

All of that kind of murderous crap is what really bugs me about the usual way the nukings are handled. The Japanese are always treated like they were all innocently going about their day as if a war wasn't even happening and thousands were dying on mainland China because of their actions until a plane came out of the sky and leveled their city for no reason.

V_K

Arcane
All of that kind of murderous crap is what really bugs me about the usual way the nukings are handled. The Japanese are always treated like they were all innocently going about their day as if a war wasn't even happening and thousands were dying on mainland China because of their actions until a plane came out of the sky and leveled their city for no reason.
Collective responsibility is slippery concept - it's not like the Japanese were a hivemind. I'm pretty sure a substantial, if minority, percentage of the bombing victims were civilians who wanted nothing to do with the war and died just for being born in a wrong country.

Beastro

Arcane
Collective responsibility is slippery concept - it's not like the Japanese were a hivemind. I'm pretty sure a substantial, if minority, percentage of the bombing victims were civilians who wanted nothing to do with the war and died just for being born in a wrong country.

There is that, there's also being open and honest with why they were bombed in the first place, and pretty much all recountings of the nukes now exclude what led to why they were nuked, especially their leaderships refusal to surrender and desire to drag as many Allies (and Japanese) with the to hell as they could. The biggest part was yet to come before the end came as they decided to strip the countryside of all food to feed their bloated army of soldiers and civilians in the south fully knowing that millions that would starve as a result and not caring, since they couldn't be brought south to also take part in the massive banzai charge. Blockade and Bombardment would have oddly killed millions as well in the cities and in that army while saving those millions of farmers by destroying the rail network and so the governments ability to take all that food.

It is a position so heavily hung to in Japan that I was honestly surprised to find out that the descendants of those that survived the Tokyo firebombings actually sued their government a decade ago citing the government as the ones primarily responsible for it for not ending the war before the firebombing campaign happened when it was clear they had lost long before it began (no surprise it was dismissed out of hand by the government). It's really odd that the Japanese seem unable to really, directly face what their country did during WWII under their government while at the same time finding ways to have it leak out, but not enough to squarely hang shame on themselves (like in Godzilla how he's born from Japanese fiddling with nuclear energy).

All they could do is draw that clear distinction between the governments action and how individuals got caught up, both willingly and unwillingly, in what they did without fully hanging irredeemable shame upon themselves like the Germans have, but it seems that, as much as they have reduced the power of the Emperor and added in total civilian control over the government, it's a step too far that most want to take, as if they themselves are the ones most wedded to the idea of collective responsibility but don't want to take responsibility for it collectively.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom