Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crytek bankruptcy watch thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:hero: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-28-controversial-crytek-boss-cevat-yerli-steps-down

Controversial Crytek boss Cevat Yerli steps down
Victory costs.

Cevat Yerli, the controversial boss and co-founder of Crysis developer Crytek, has stepped down as CEO and president.

jpg

The Yerli brothers. Cevat is in the middle.

Yerli, who was public enemy number one as Crytek staff went unpaid for months, will continue as "strategic shareholder", but the company will now be led by his brothers Avni and Faruk as joint CEOs.

The change comes following the launch of multiplayer first-person shooter and monster hunting game Hunt Showdown, which is developed alongside CryEngine at the company's Frankfurt, Germany office. Crytek continues to work on Warface at its Kiev studio. Crytek's Istanbul office operates Warface in Turkey.

Crytek was on the brink of collapse back in 2014 after it let go of multiple studios and struggled to pay staff on time. In 2015, Crytek found emergency funding from Amazon, which spent millions on CryEngine tech used to create the Lumberyard engine. Then, in January 2017, Crytek found more money by selling Warface publishing rights to Russian-owned game giant My.com. A few months later Sega picked up Crytek Black Sea, which was working on a MOBA called Arena of Fate, and renamed it Creative Assembly Sofia.

I'd heard Crytek continued to struggle to pay staff as of August 2017. In its note to press on Yerli's departure, Crytek said an investment in autumn 2017 "has fortified Crytek and added the necessary capital for future growth".

Yerli had avoided the limelight following a damaging 2014 interview with Eurogamer in which he called unpaid staff "very impatient" and said they "got angry at the smallest delay".

"I was surprised and upset a little bit that the intention of us keeping together everybody upset a few of them," he said.

"But I understand that situation. Some people live in very tight financial planning. That's their own privacy. They can do whatever they want. Those guys, when they get under pressure it can become emotional. We tried to individually help out. Like if somebody gets in trouble they can talk to us directly so they don't get under pressure. We tried whatever we could do. But you can't make it right for everybody."

Yerli's comments were roundly criticised by the video game development community for being out of touch and insensitive to those who were struggling to make ends meet while working for the company.

Yerli did provide a comment for the press release issued today, however. It is reproduced in its entirety below:

"With the company in a strong position, now is the ideal time to recognize the existing leadership's excellent achievements over these past two years and formally transition executive leadership to Avni and Faruk. I have been honored to serve as CEO of the company I founded with my brothers almost 20 years ago and have seen the team accomplish breakthrough things in that time. I look forward to continue helping Crytek as a major shareholder, and I am very excited to see what tomorrow brings. I have every confidence that the company will continue to shine under the guidance of Avni, Faruk, and the rest of the leadership team."

Crytek faces an interesting future. It's working on Hunt Showdown as a Steam Early Access game, and is embroiled in a lawsuit with the makers of Star Citizen - Cloud Imperium Games and Roberts Space Industries - over misuse of CryEngine.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Reminder that Crytek wasted money on VR games to save them out of bankruptcy.
It's unfortunate that they fell so far despite making some good games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow: https://steamcommunity.com/games/Warface/announcements/detail/1727596629128169095

Warface developers form Blackwood Games studio
6 FEB @ 12:23PM - E.D.WARFACE_CM

d9582e6e90a99d0c764e31f17f12611efda94bd3.jpg

Dear players!

We have some very exciting news for you.

As you know, Warface turned five last year, and it has been an incredible journey for the developers and the project team alike. We have enjoyed your support and enthusiasm from the first beta-tests to the peaks of popularity. More than 65 million people around the world play Warface, and we are sure that this number will only keep growing.

None of this would have been possible without the game’s strong and devoted community. Warface team has always appreciated and carefully considered your feedback, your criticism, and your ideas.

Crytek’s Kiev studio has evolved over the years alongside the game, and we would like to announce an important strategic and structural change that effects how we operate the development of Warface franchise.

Warface development team, led by the studio’s Creative Director Michael Khaimzon, is forming its own independent development company, Blackwood. Blackwood will take over all further development of Warface franchise, including all previously announced updates.

a2dffc63b1e4a493fb4c5c08518fe933d5b205d8.jpg

“The development team of Warface has always inspired us. To go independent in order to enable a closer partnership with the game’s publisher is a strategic move, which we all agree is best for the future of the game. At the same time, this reorganization will allow us to focus on our own core IPs and long-term plans,” said Crytek’s CEO Avni Yerli.

“It was a tough decision to leave Crytek after all these years, but sometimes you need change to evolve. It’s very important for us to focus on developing Warface in a way that lives up to players’ expectations,” said Michael Khaimzon, Head of Blackwood. “We have kept the development team intact, and their expertise will allow us to move forward with our plans and ideas. Yet we’re very thankful to Crytek for all the great years together and for their commendable support of this move”.

New page of Warface history unfolds before your very eyes. Be a part of it.

All hail Blackwood!

Yours sincerely,
Warface Team

Since Crysis came out they just make excuses and compromises. What's the matter? Looks like Far Cry and Crysis was just a fluke and it's all gone now. It's like you see the desperation behind it all.

Maybe they should have team up with someone who can design good games and supply him with technology. Sort of like some all-star band.

But no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom