Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crytek bankruptcy watch thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ned-as-financial-struggle-spreads-to-shanghai
Crytek's Ryse 2 canned as financial struggle spreads to Shanghai
More tales of unpaid wages.

Yesterday Kotaku reported that Ryse 2 had been canned because of a conflict between Crytek and Microsoft over who would own the rights to the franchise.

Eurogamer's own sources confirmed this today. One person close to Crytek told us a pre-production deal for Ryse 2 was on the cards, and that Microsoft wanted to do the deal, but its terms proved a sticking point.

Apparently, in exchange for funding Ryse 2's development, Microsoft wanted to take over the Ryse intellectual property, something Crytek couldn't agree to, so both parties decided not to continue. Retaining IP is important for independent developers, as we've seen from the likes of Bungie with Destiny and Respawn with Titanfall.

This, after German magazine GameStar said Ryse: Son of Rome's development was a "disaster".

Ryse, announced in 2010 as an Xbox 360 Kinect exclusive called Codename Kingdoms, was dogged by missed milestones and poor quality builds throughout its production - and at one point was nearly cancelled.

As Eurogamer revealed in May 2011, Crytek Budapest, the original developer of Ryse, suffered around 50 redundancies after Microsoft had Crytek shift development of the game from Hungary to its Frankfurt office in Germany, effectively rebooting it as a controller-based Xbox One launch title.

Meanwhile, as the fallout from Crytek's financial struggle continues to hit Homefront developer Crytek UK as well as the headquarters in Frankfurt, sources close to Crytek's Shanghai studio have told Eurogamer of its plight.

Two people close to the studio said February's salary had been delayed to April, half of March's salary was paid in late April, and salary for April and May have still not been paid - leaving staff demoralised and upset.

Now, local authorities are getting involved, we've been told, to force Crytek Shanghai to pay staff social insurance. Some are considering suing Crytek over breach of contract. Crytek declined to comment when contacted by Eurogamer.

Crytek Shanghai works on the company's free-to-play mobile games, offers CryEngine tech support to licensees and operates free-to-play shooter Warface in China. Around 30 people currently work there. About 10 have left because of the financial pains.

So, why is Crytek in trouble?

Most people connected with the company Eurogamer spoke with said it had expanded too fast and in the wrong areas.

G-Face, a sort of Facebook meets Steam web-based games-as-service platform, hasn't worked out.

Crytek signed a deal with China's biggest online publisher, Tencent, to operate Warface in China, but it has flopped everywhere except Russia.

Attempts to break into the free-to-play market have largely failed. Free-to-play strategy card game The Collectables has been downloaded over half a million times but does not generate significant revenue, one source said.

Its CryEngine is also suffering, apparently, in the face of the success of Unity and Epic's Unreal Engine.

One source said Crytek had simply become too big, with between 900 and 950 staff spread across multiple studios around the world. The huge overhead generated by such expansion meant that the collapsed Ryse 2 deal had an immediate and wide-ranging effect.

The question now is, can Crytek sort itself out? "Maybe Crytek will be sold, not sure," one source said.

:kfc:

Perkel

Arcane
UK studio didn't get paid last month.

Looks like Crytek can't into F2P.

You got what you deserve for leaving PC buisness and creating shitty games

chicken_dance.gif

Angthoron

Arcane
What do you mean, they can't into F2P? They're very much spot on - free to pay their employees.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I am afraid to click your links
G-Men is Japanese gay subculture or something. I assume the G stands for gay, but I'm not entirely sure, because I can't read Japanese script. Likewise, the index page of the site is safe for work, but I can't guarantee what you're able to view safely outside of that, because I can't read Japanese script.

Angthoron

Arcane
I am afraid to click your links
G-Men is Japanese gay subculture or something. I assume the G stands for gay, but I'm not entirely sure, because I can't read Japanese script. Likewise, the index page of the site is safe for work, but I can't guarantee what you're able to view safely outside of that, because I can't read Japanese script.
Ah crap, I was thinking of G-Force, wasn't I.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No longer are they a free 2 play video, they are also a free 2 work studio.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Considering the 8800GTX was the top-end card for when Crysis was released.
Man, I'm feeling really like a third worldia poor bastard now:(, codexers considering a 8800GTX at the time of Crisis 1 as an average/shitty card... the only thing I remember is how that thing costed the same price as a new computer at the time. It could be the third worldia effect but I remember thinking..."fuck that I'm going to buy a new card to just play this thing."

Explorerbc

Arcane
Too bad, I hope they manage to survive somehow, that new homefront game looks interesting as well.

The sad thing is that all these game devs lose their jobs, and those retard market analysts and CEOs who claim F2P , MMOs and Mobile games are the future, will just get their thousand dollars bonus and proceed to destroy the next studio or company with their nonsense.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Deep Silver will buy Homefront 2 from them if it comes to that. Which is good because I want to see Philadelphia burn.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Writing has been on the wall for months that Crytek was going to fail and it makes me wonder if Bioware is run in a similar way.

They're not going anywhere unless we see a few more failures. There's three teams working on three completely different things. For all the bitching about ME3's ending the game sold well and the multiplayer was well-received, so that team is fine until ME4 comes out. The new team working on the new IP are going to get their shot, surely. The only team in danger is the Dragon Age team, if Inquisition fails I could see them being cut out. I doubt Inquisition will fail though.

In short you can't escape the Bioware future.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're not going anywhere unless we see a few more failures. There's three teams working on three completely different things. For all the bitching about ME3's ending the game sold well and the multiplayer was well-received, so that team is fine until ME4 comes out. The new team working on the new IP are going to get their shot, surely. The only team in danger is the Dragon Age team, if Inquisition fails I could see them being cut out. I doubt Inquisition will fail though.

In short you can't escape the Bioware future.

ME4 is actually being mostly produced by a new team in Montreal FYI

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom