Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crytek bankruptcy watch thread

lophiaspis

Arbiter
They should stop making games and start making safari simulations.

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841907

Gamestar.de: The vultures are circling over Crytek [Up: More info, CryEngine woes]

Update:

Originally Posted by Sickboy007

Kudos to Razyl, here's the info from the article:

*Information is from a half dozen independent sources, according to Yerli "dramatized rumors" from disgruntled ex-employers
*Salaries are paid late and leading employees are sending applications to other studios at home and abroad
*Warface doesn't work outside of Russia, other attempts at F2P were unsuccessful
*G-face was a flop

*The development of Ryse was catastrophic: mere months before release, the title was severely behind, only with additional manpower they were able to finish it
*Disagreements with MS over the ownership of Ryse's IP could be a red flag for other publishers
*Adoption of CryEngine not going as planned, word-of-mouth at GDC was negative
*Too many employees, burn-rate too high (3-5 M euro).
*"The vultures are already circling," says a leading representative for a major publisher.
*Big publishers are not interested in buying outright,would rather wait for bankruptcy, sign the talent and shop the IPs.
*Belarusian Free2Play giant Wargaming is listed as a possible buyer of Crytek
* Avni Yerli says a cash injection for the company is finally imminent. The contract has not been signed yet, but is as good as in the bag. "It's not all great. Our transition to Free2Play studio was not painless. But that is now behind us, "he concludes.

---

New thread, based on the post of junior member Razyl:

Just junior member and don't know where to post but i thinks its quite interessting.

Gamestar, a german videogamesmagazine, published today a story named "Die Geier kreisen über Crytek" ("The vultures are circling over Crytek") =>http://www.gamestar.de/specials/repo...tek_krise.html

Short info about it:

• Crytek got financial problems
  • there are working over 800 employees
  • Microsoft and Crytek talked about Ryse 2, but yet it is not in development, because microsoft wants the trademark and crytek don't want to give it up
  • Reasons for the problems: Free-2-Play & Cryengine not work as well as expected, crysis 3 and ryse aren't big sellers etc.
  • they got saved for now but maybe not forever

The article is only for the gamestar subscription service. I think if homefront, hunt and the moba will fail, then its maybe game over for Crytek.

(sorry for my english, it's not my native language^^)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=668

It is important to notice that Crytek has [at least they had before] a lot of non-gaming contracts, where they are using their Crytengine to create demos and simulators for military/architecture and other business uses.

6a00d83420523653ef0168ebd716e6970c-pi

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
And good fucking riddance.

Make Crysis a PC exclusive, sell 3 million copies. Declare it to have potential for 4x that on consoles, blame sales on piracy. Make Crysis 2 multiplatform, sell less on all platforms in total than Crysis 1 on PC only. A fucking masterstroke of a product strategy if I ever saw one.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Not to mention problems with Ryse (technical issues, poor sales...even Thi4f got better)
With some disturbance between them and M$ it's deathwish for them.
So many cannon fodder and no one work on TimeSplitters 4?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They should have held Crysis 3 to be a PS4/Xbone launch title.

Also give MS the Ryse IP and take the money. Do you really think that piece of shit is going places?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
What a fucking waste. Instead of trying to make games they should have concentrated on improving their engine tools and selling it to developers. They had masterful visuals and optimization in Crysis. Unfortunately they continued with their shitty game developing and the gaming market got stuck with the Unreal 3 engine that can't even handle proper anti-aliasing.

Tehdagah

Arcane
"Reasons for the problems: Free-2-Play & Cryengine not work as well as expected, crysis 3 and ryse aren't big sellers etc."

Crysis 1 was PC only and sold more than Crysis 3 lol.

Crysis 2 sold around the same amount of the first game (3 millions) but it also had a bigger budget.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Because being a CEO is 100% confidence and 0% percent actual knowledge.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Cevat Yerli - Crytek CEO said:
Sales on Consoles would've been 4-5 times more than PC , due to PC piracy (2008)

:troll:
Wasn't for capitalism to get rid of those kinds of dumb people? How there are so many being CEOs of game industry companies?

The basic idea of the free market applies decently to small to medium sized businesses engaged in the production of physical goods. Once you get to the level of multinational corps with 500+ employees participating in a global economy, it breaks down. A large multinational corporation has more in common with political institutions like governments than with normal businesses.

So the free market does not stop idiots from becoming CEOs just like democracy doesn't stop idiots from becoming president.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Sales on Consoles would've been 4-5 times more than PC , due to PC piracy (2008)

To be fair, Crysis 2 PC full version leaked online several months before its launch. That hurt Crysis 2's sale tremendously. Crysis 2, even being a crappy and buggy COD clone, would have sold more if it had not been leaked.

Angthoron

Arcane

To be fair, Crysis 2 PC full version leaked online several months before its launch. That hurt Crysis 2's sale tremendously. Crysis 2, even being a crappy and buggy COD clone, would have sold more if it had not been leaked.
It'd probably also sell better if it wasn't a crappy and buggy COD clone.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate

Really? Let's look at some facts:

Original Crysis 1 is not a crappy and buggy COD clone.

Original Crysis 1 sold 3+ million units (in three years). http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59261

Crysis 2 sold 3 million units (in three months). http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=594196

:hmmm:

Angthoron

Arcane

Original Crysis 1 sold 3+ million units (in three years). http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59261

Crysis 2 sold 3 million units (in three months). http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=594196

Oh, and Crysis 2 being a sequel in a favourably received hot new franchise that promised all the hawkesome graphics but on consoles had nothing to do with that.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Oh, and Crysis 2 being a sequel in a favourably received hot new franchise that promised all the hawkesome graphics but on consoles had nothing to do with that.

So you're saying, a PC-exclusive franchise praised for its gameplay and GRAPHIX! finally make its way to consoles, and boasts GRAPHIX! so good that only Sony's exclusive Killzone 2 can somewhat compete with. And consoles had nothing to do with that? You mean console peasants weren't excited for that?

Anyway, yes Crytek shot itself in the foot with that Crysis 2 release, trying to please PC master race and console peasants at the same time. But I doubt that even if Crysis 2 stayed PC exclusive and retained the gameplay of Crysis 1 (i.e. not being a shitty COD clone), their sales figure would be significantly affected.

Case in point: did you ever play or buy Shattered Horizon? Now that one (a) is not a COD clone; (b) plays unlike any FPS out there; (c) graphically was better than any other PC FPS out there in 2009. Did that game sell millions? It died. Because a lot of PC gamers are retarded and only complains but never spends enough money to support their beloved franchise.

Angthoron

Arcane

So you're saying, a PC-exclusive franchise praised for its gameplay and GRAPHIX! finally make its way to consoles, and boasts GRAPHIX! so good that only Sony's exclusive Killzone 2 can somewhat compete with. And consoles had nothing to do with that? You mean console peasants weren't excited for that?

Anyway, yes Crytek shot itself in the foot with that Crysis 2 release, trying to please PC master race and console peasants at the same time. But I doubt that even if Crysis 2 stayed PC exclusive and retained the gameplay of Crysis 1 (i.e. not being a shitty COD clone), their sales figure would be significantly affected.

Err. I'm not sure what you thought my point was. My point was, if it remained more Crysis, you know, shit on a pretty tropical island, shiny shaders etc, it might've done better. Going towards bro shooter actually harmed it, because it sort of killed the game's identity. I wasn't saying that it shouldn't have gone console.

Case in point: did you ever play or buy Shattered Horizon? Now that one (a) is not a COD clone; (b) plays unlike any FPS out there; (c) graphically was better than any other PC FPS out there in 2009. Did that game sell millions? It died. Because a lot of PC gamers are retarded and only complains but never spends enough money to support their beloved franchise.
I haven't, but that's mostly because I'm not into FPS multiplayer. Also, it wasn't a franchise. It was a single entry, indie one at that.

I did buy quite a few indie FPSes though - Nuclear Dawn and Natural Selection 2 (an actual franchise!) to name a couple. I don't know about the rest of the PC user base but I do support devs in things I feel interested about.

DeepOcean

Arcane

To be fair, this is Crytek fault too. Make demanding as fuck game that only a portion of the user base will be able to play then complain about low sales. Crysis 1 was only masturbatory material for graphix whores for a long time before good graphixs cards became cheaper.

Crysis 2 really made me bored, it wasn't open world, the shooting was far from something I consider good and that story... man every time a character opened their mouths I wanted to puke. When I heard Crysis 3 would be made I reacted with such boredom with their obcession with that silly suit and their shitty storyline that I remember skipping to the next news and barely paying attention to it. From what I read from people, I was far from being alone in that. I think Crytek should start making more interesting games before complaining like cry babies.

But I doubt that even if Crysis 2 stayed PC exclusive and retained the gameplay of Crysis 1 (i.e. not being a shitty COD clone), their sales figure would be significantly affected.
Far Cry 3 sold 9 million copies. It doesn't fit on you PC exclusive requirement but even a shitty and really dumbed down Far Cry 1 clone sold better than the shitty and dumbed down Crysis 2 and 3 combined. Again, Crytek games are just boring. They are like Piranha Bytes, make something really good with great potential then go on shitting on their own legacy like tards.

To be fair, this is Crytek fault too. Make demanding as fuck game that only a portion of the user base will be able to play then complain about low sales. Crysis 1 was only masturbatory material for graphix whores for a long time before good graphixs cards became cheaper.

Crysis was quite playable on average PCs of the time, just not on high settings. But that was understandable since low settings Crysis still looked as good or better than most games of the time on high. It was more of a marketing gaffe combined with reviewers being retarded that caused the situation.

You're comparing a corridor shooter to a (relatively) open world shooter. You can't really compare a game with a 1 mile by 1 mile area which you can run through at mach 1 to a slow corridor shooter in an area 1/100th the size.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom