Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cuphead

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Long before that it had become Microsoft's laughing stock. One of the few Xbox console exclusives, first revealed at E3 2014, a 2D platformer/run and gun, and they seemed to be incapable of finishing it, presenting it at E3 year after year after year, but it just wouldn't be released. Meanwhile on PS4: Bloodborne, Nioh, Nier, Horizon, Persona 5...

Amazing that it's out and even more amazing how good it is.

Oh so Cuphead was that game! The story definitely rings a bell. Glad they've come this far (and not made it console exclusive too)

RapineDel

Augur
Installing on Xbone. Figured fuck Steam this time cause Xbone version can be played on PC too.
Watched some streams, looks easy to play but hard as fuck to beat.

It's on GOG. Really don't see any reason to get it on that awful platform when there's a DRM free version.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Installing on Xbone. Figured fuck Steam this time cause Xbone version can be played on PC too.

It's on GOG. Really don't see any reason to get it on that awful platform when there's a DRM free version.
Cause you buy on one but can play on two platforms. Despite DRM in the end only difference is I'll be sitting with xbox controller in my computer chair or in my soffa.

Kitchen Utensil

The game is so monocled.

7daab530-e580-40ad-ad39-ee393aeb7036.PNG

And it's a fork, too!

:obviously:

Last edited by a moderator:

The Decline

Arcane

I'm confused by the fact he has a gaming capable computer, but also a Xbox One.

GrainWetski

Arcane

I'm confused by the fact he has a gaming capable computer, but also a Xbox One.
I think some people like to collect the worst consoles.

Hyperpube

Scholar
I bought it about an hour ago on a drunken whim. I only played a little bit ,got to the second level and its enemies cracked me up , made me pretty optimistic about what the rest of the game might deliver. Anyways, we already know it, but fuck it's worth saying it again, Dean Takehashi is pathetic. Made it passed where he got on my first try. I did die a decent amount of times on the rest of level, but that was mainly because I'm a drunk idiot who forgot about the jump dash, which is needed for one long jump that will take damage off if you don't make it.
The second level seems not very difficult , though I did get pissed off because I jumped on a floating leaf or some shit near the bottom of the screen and as soon as I landed on it a fireball came from beneath it and killed me ass and I had to start over. After that I decided to start playing after I get some sleep and am sober. But so far I like it

Ezekiel

Arcane
Is there an option to turn off the chromatic abberation, or a file one can edit? I understand the intent, but my Tom and Jerry cartoons and my seventy year old Disney movies look far cleaner than THAT.

Edit:

There is no ini file, but you can edit the registry entry for it.
It's in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Studio MDHR\Cuphead\cuphead_settings_data_v1_etc , only change the part that says "chromaticAberration:0.5" to 0.0, changing the other options seems to either have no effect or resetting all the settings.
Thanks, Steam people.
Turns out this doesn't work in the GOG version. I don't see an option for chromatic abberation, I just see these binary values.

2erVI4s.jpg

Is there something I'm not getting? I played a little of the first level. Gonna wait for now, until I can get an answer on this.

Hyperpube

Scholar
Decided to play a little more, made it to the mini -boss at the end of the 2nd run and gun level, died several times on it. Then the last time I fought him I ran into some glitch where I got hit and was stuck on the left side of the screen just floating in the air and spinning around, couldn't shoot or move or anything so I had to exit the level, so that's a pisser. Gotta turn this off for real now.

Last edited:

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Is there something I'm not getting? I played a little of the first level. Gonna wait for now, until I can get an answer on this.
Not sure if it's the same thing, but I turned down the "color bleed" slider in the options and it made it look less annoying for me.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Not sure if it's the same thing, but I turned down the "color bleed" slider in the options and it made it look less annoying for me.
That does look better, thanks. I can still see it, but it's not awful anymore.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
That does look better, thanks. I can still see it, but it's not awful anymore.
If it's still annoying, you may notice that the picture you took actually has the words "chromaticAberration:1.0" in it on the right side. You can make changes to the right side and it will translate and save it to the hex values on the left.
Seems that the slider makes it go from 0.5 to 1.5, which is kind of odd. But setting it to 0.0 directly in regedit works fine for me. And it doesn't change unless you start messing with the slider again.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Is there an option to turn off the chromatic abberation, or a file one can edit? I understand the intent, but my Tom and Jerry cartoons and my seventy year old Disney movies look far cleaner than THAT.

Edit:

There is no ini file, but you can edit the registry entry for it.
It's in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Studio MDHR\Cuphead\cuphead_settings_data_v1_etc , only change the part that says "chromaticAberration:0.5" to 0.0, changing the other options seems to either have no effect or resetting all the settings.
Thanks, Steam people.
Turns out this doesn't work in the GOG version. I don't see an option for chromatic abberation, I just see these binary values.

2erVI4s.jpg

Look closely at that text on the right, beginning {"hasBoo ...

the 6th line is the start of the chromaticAberration setting

Or to put it more plainly, on the line beginning '0038' the final 3 hex pairs '31 2E 30' need to be '30 2E 30' (or if that interface allows you to type in the right column, just put a 0 where the 1 is)

edit: gosh darn ninjas

---

Anyway, game looks cool and it's reassuring that it's getting a positive reception here. Just wishlisting it for now though since all my precious gaming hours are going into DivOS2 for the next while

Ezekiel

Arcane
Oh! Thanks for pointing out my stupidity.

Anyway, I like it too. It looks good, it sounds good and it's hard.

J1M

Arcane
Surprised how many of your are enjoying it given how 'authentic' the music and sound effects are.

orcinator

Liturgist
And to think this game might have slipped under the radar if Dean wasnt an absolute and utter moron.

It probably boosted the metascore a bit since the journos didn't want to be called casuals by a bunch of people if they gave it a low score because they too sucked at it, or less likely they noticed actual flaws.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man, fuck this clown :argh:

qhcSDgd.jpg

World 2 was slightly harder overall but this fight gave me a lot of trouble (easily 20 tries, maybe a lot more), it only got easier when I figured out how to time the train arrivals to his 2nd and 3rd form change. You really gotta pick the right weapons and super moves for each fight, the dragon was pretty easy when I had the homing attack for his 2nd from for example.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man, fuck this clown :argh:
Yeah, holy shit I died so many times on his final form, Jesus. Fuck those penguins throwing balls everywhere

IMO world 2 was a huge difficulty spike. The candy lady is hard as fuck too.
I had a lot of trouble getting to the final form with more than 1 hp. The balloon and the horse wouldn't be hard on their own but the goddamn train is not synced to his attacks or form changes and always comes at the worst time possible, sometimes I'm pretty sure there was no way to avoid taking damage. It's best to kill him while on or just before the train, then you get some breathing room when a new form appears. The penguins can be killed with right timing, I waited until they roll out then jumped down and killed 2 on one side, it becomes much more manageable. You gotta look out for the super fast train though. From worlds 1 and 2 the clown was the most difficult boss so far but yeah it got more difficult overall. The candy lady was hard in the final form (so much shit flying around and the screen moving) but all the henchmen have pretty simple patterns, so I got there much faster than with the clown.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
This is quite a good game.

My only complaint is the fact that it is mostly boss battles. There is enough art, music, personality and charm for this to be an actual platformer ala Shovel Knight or a Metroidvania. Or even an RPG. Here's to hoping they do more with the franchise and not just farm out some dumb mobile games or a piece of shit card game.

sullynathan

Arcane
nearly impossible for me to play with m+kb. I give them credit for making this game run well

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom