Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cuphead

Farage

Arcane
Patron
This game looks great and i'm super excited that it worked out.
I wish i was the one who figured out this precise, interesting formula. But this is still a good omen that indie games can go far.
Also i love how low-key anti feminist troops this is, 100% incline

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think platformers are shit but I might play it and hope Chad's Chad wears on me.

RuySan

Augur
Never understood the hate for the FEZ guy. It's an unique game with some great well designed levels. It's programmed shoddily with all the bugs and stuff, but it was a 2 people team. Besides, he was really passionate and invested in his vision and didn't had any problems to speak his mind, and if game journalists asked to dumb down his game or to skip content he would probably say something like "You Suck!, I'd rather kill myself!"

Wulfstand

Prophet
The game's very fun, and everything related to its artstyle is top notch, as has been said hundreds of times already.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Never understood the hate for the FEZ guy. It's an unique game with some great well designed levels. It's programmed shoddily with all the bugs and stuff, but it was a 2 people team. Besides, he was really passionate and invested in his vision and didn't had any problems to speak his mind, and if game journalists asked to dumb down his game or to skip content he would probably say something like "You Suck!, I'd rather kill myself!"
Among a long string of shit behaviour and opinions, probably the most egregious was being part of a cabal that encouraged other indie devs to enter a competition judging unfinished games at $100 a go when it was already predetermined that Fez would win -- twice

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was skeptical about this, but when I saw and heard it in action, it seems a rare case of a game done with style and taste.

Ranarama

Learned
Do people like this trend of just shoving SHMUP sections into normal games?

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
None of you would be playing this if it wasn't for that journalist that couldn't play games. You were viral marketed.
I dunno man, it's been talked about quite a lot on news sites and youtube every time it's been shown at the last 3 years at E3 or something similar.
Not much discussion here on the codex as far as I remember though, I'll grant you that.

Dux

Arcane
This reminds me of something completely unrelated but might still be related so...

It's that game on the SNES starring Mickey Mouse, with many of his famous cartoons featured as levels. The first level is based on the Steamboat what's-his-face black and white cartoon and there's this moment where the colourised playable modern Mickey actually happens upon Steamboat Bob and they share this existential paradox multi-dimensional moment which threatens to tear the space time continuum in pieces. The jolly 20's steamboat mouse duplicate freaks out at the sight of Mickey and runs away in terror before the universe implodes. Sent shivers down my spine it did.

Shinji

Savant

a cut of domestic sheep prime

None of you would be playing this if it wasn't for that journalist that couldn't play games. You were viral marketed.
it did put me over the top, yeah, but I've wanted to play the game since I saw it demoed. I grew up with these sorts of cartoons and it's been a long time since I played a good 2d platformer (the only kind of platformer I enjoy tbh).

also, it's p cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Momock

Augur
Yes, keyboard gives more precision than an analogue stick, but on the other hand forces you to play the directions with three fingers instead of one, so there's a bigger learning curve.

I play these kind of games with the Wii Classic controller w/ adapter, so unless the game uses too much of triggers (the adapter turns analague triggers into digital and makes them overly sensitive) it's the best option.
The best option is to buy a PS4 controler, honestly. At least if you play a lot of sidescrollers.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

keyboard seems to screw me up pretty bad. I need to get a controller, it seems.

my impressions so far are that it's challenging, well-animated and fun.

the 8 directional aiming seems a bit limited at times, especially with a keyboard

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
As much as I'm enjoying this game for the gameplay, I'm enjoying it much more for the aesthetics.

On that front, my favorite bosses are Hilda Berg (the one that shapeshifts into many things that culminate in a half-moon), the mermaid and the German-accented rat. I showed my Dad the fight against the rat and he almost lost his shit when he realized that "Tom" was peeking in on the fight in the background.

Any game that gets a reaction from my Dad is :incline: in my book.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Nah. I do think the failing journo might have been a viral campaign, but I followed the game long before that. A lot of people love old cartoons and were interested in it purely because of the art style.

Plus as Lambchop19 says, it's actually surprisingly cheap given the production values.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom