Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Current state of Russian RPGs (with screenshots)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
majestik12 said:
Good summary, Stainless Veteran. And what do you think about Сердце Вечности (Heart of Eternity)?

Also, I've played Valkyrie: Ascension to the Throne. Despite noticeable balance issues it turned out to be a pretty fun game. Bonus points for art direction and the protagonist being a cute topless lady.

Both Ascension games are pretty good. Balancing issues yes, and a bit to much rock/paper/scissors where without the exact correct combination of troop and order of combat you'll NEVER win some battles, but overall it was a very nice series. Shame it didn't go further.

Thanks for the post, it's a good read. That image of the bare-assed woman with wolves does interest me though ( :M ); not because of the nudity but the use of grid and turn-based combat from such a first-person/low camera perspective in a 3D environment, which I haven't seen elsewhere before.

Shannow

Waster of Time
commie said:
majestik12 said:
Good summary, Stainless Veteran. And what do you think about Сердце Вечности (Heart of Eternity)?

Also, I've played Valkyrie: Ascension to the Throne. Despite noticeable balance issues it turned out to be a pretty fun game. Bonus points for art direction and the protagonist being a cute topless lady.

Both Ascension games are pretty good. Balancing issues yes, and a bit to much rock/paper/scissors where without the exact correct combination of troop and order of combat you'll NEVER win some battles, but overall it was a very nice series. Shame it didn't go further.
Huh? Just take an army full of amazons. You'll kill anything before it has a chance to move. The final fight took exactly two rounds for me. But the first 3 hours (before you get amazons) in Ascension to the Throne were great. I really dig the russian chliche bad-ass heroes. Great fun.
And Rage of Mages was a fun game. OP has no idea what he's talking about :M
And why do half of those games look like Dragon Age?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
FatCat said:
The fuck did Goblin retire or smthn..

Goblin said that world financial crisis "killed russian game development". I think by this he meant almost total turn to MMO market.

Even Katauri are making a MMO now :decline:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Just asking, did Nival fire its original Silent Storm era employees after Silent Storm or something?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I notice a pattern. These all appear to be isometric and party-based.

laclongquan

Arcane
majestik12 said:

Now you are talking! But did it have English localization or not? I am just not hardcore enough to play it full--blind.

denizsi

Arcane
It's amazing how many games come out of Russia with all of them being broken or dysfunctional.

.Sigurd said:
Any other RPG with this kind of atmosphere?

dP3Ryl.jpg

Trust me, you are being deceived by the still shot. The only atmosphere that game has is one of absolute boredom and the game looks much worse in action. Plus, you really don't want to make "atmosphere" a priority for yourself. All the Russian games I've played are riddled with inanely semi-functional interface. I much rather play broken RPGs from late 80s than play a Russian RPG again.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thanks for the summary SV!

f0RDnl.jpg

This looks kinda nice. Is that "emphasis on economy" you mention just a gimmick or something, you know, really interesting?

baronjohn

Cipher
denizsi said:
It's amazing how many games come out of Russia with all of them being broken or dysfunctional.
Bioware needs to send a mission to Russia to teach them how to make quality RPGs that will be liked by the Codex.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
laclongquan said:
majestik12 said:

Now you are talking! But did it have English localization or not? I am just not hardcore enough to play it full--blind.

Ascension to the Throne has an English version.

Valkyrie has a German version, but there was no English one back when I downloaded it. Might have one now, dunno.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I like the 2d graphics. Have more character. I have to take your word that the gameplay is shit, but most of the 2D screens look VERY appealing to playthrough, if only it wasn't in Russian.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Beltion: Beyond Ritual is no longer sold in Poland unfortunately, there are no torrents to find as well.

Ascension to the Throne is sold in Poland for really cheap (13 zł here, which is like 3€), so I'll order that.

I have played Spells of Gold long time ago (in 2002/2003 or 2004) and I remember it was pretty boring.

I've bought Dawn of Magic some time ago because it sounded like pretty decent cRPG and hell... how wrong I was. Oblivion is much more fun than this shitty diablo fuckclone. Avoid it.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
baronjohn said:
denizsi said:
Bioware needs to send a mission to Russia to teach them how to make quality RPGs that will be liked by the Codex.

Do you really not have better ways to spend your time?

denizsi

Arcane
baronjohn said:
denizsi said:

It's ironic you should say that because Bioware games do actually work at the very least, so "a mission to Russia to teach them how" by them evil BooWare would be much appreaciated.

baronjohn

Cipher
denizsi said:
baronjohn said:
denizsi said:

It's ironic you should say that because Bioware games do actually work at the very least, so "a mission to Russia to teach them how" by them evil BooWare would be much appreaciated.
Itz ironic that you should think so since I could've sworn that the last bioshit game I played I had to wait years for the final official patch and then download another unofficial fan patch that fixed yet another several hundred bugs.

Sadly of course there was no patch to fix the shitty gameplay or the infantile dialogues.

Arem

Scholar
Nival didn't make Day Watch. True, Night Watch was banal and boring, however I found Day Watch a better game in about all aspects. Hell, it even had a fun minigame. Just make sure you don't play english version as it was never patched and has a horrible, horrible translation. Pure gibberish.
Ascension to the Throne is decent, it just becomes way too easy towards the end, where you can breeze through battles without any casualties.

denizsi

Arcane
baronjohn said:
denizsi said:
baronjohn said:
denizsi said:

Itz ironic that you should think so since I could've sworn that the last bioshit game I played I had to wait years for the final official patch and then download another unofficial fan patch that fixed yet another several hundred bugs.

Sadly of course there was no patch to fix the shitty gameplay or the infantile dialogues.

Bugs and shitty games or not (more the former), those games function. You don't wrestle with inanely designed dysfunctional interfaces with erratic behaviour.

pipka

Savant
Companies which made mediocre games, and now are making shit

Nival
Hey!!! Evil Islands was p. cool and not mediocre at all.

What's up with the studio that made Paradise:Cracked and Power of Law?

EDIT: Out of all games only Planet Alcatraz is sci-fi. :cry:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hah, those evening courses in Russian finally pay off!

I mean... I can read the letters, and there is something (probably based) on a book, and not on a movie.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Great post. Those are some good engines and graphics, such a shame the games are bad.

How about "Dungeon Cleaners" ? Wasn't that some ridiculous RPG filled with anal sex, references to Russian crime and written in slang?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom