Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Current state of Russian RPGs (with screenshots)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Deep Shadows was ukraininan.
Same to the STALKER developers.
NPCs in the latter are not rusians.
Common mistake.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I though the consensus was they're mostly garbage beside 2 Pathfinders made recently, which was decent?

Wunderbar

Arcane
ATOM team is international: some of the devs are russians, some - ukrainians, some are from baltic states. They are alive and even released an update for ATOM rpg recently.

Encased came out and fizzled, seems like the devs are still working on it though. Fun fact - you can't even see game's steam page if you try to access it from a russian IP address, Deep Silver delisted it from Russian's steam store.

Owlcat are still alive, but their recent announcement of the second season pass for WotR raises some concerns regarding their financial situation.

I'm sure other russian devs are just sitting quietly as they don't want to attract unwanted attention.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Russian mmorpg Allods Online is currently experiencing a resurgence in popularity due to Blizzard closing World of Warcraft in Russia, and starving WoW addicts wanting to play something similar.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Before this was I was looking for a music cd from Redemption (goth). I could only get them from a Russian seller. After they arrived they wouldn't convert to mp3/wav/or anything. Waste of money.... then the war started. I should have used bandcamo from the get go. Looks like its my fault Putin went nutz. He blamed Ukranian postage for scrambling my cd. I shrugged amd just pirated it else where. The bandcamp one was cut horribly. Tracks leading into tracks. I copied manually via a different method. The result was ok but meh.

Then i found out the band was from Salt Lake City.... WTF?!?!

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No idea, I thought Russia was the world's leading beacon of light according to some of the posters on here?

I'd expect that said beacon would at least have a few.

Central Eastern Europe is the beacon as a whole. Russia only has Pathfinfer games to offer, and Encased if you consider it good.

Also, a working English translation of Goldenland 2 resurfaced recently so most of us can finally try this Russian fantasy Fallout (Russian speakers say it's shit though).

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
frozen state is a pretty good but rough survival CRPG that's clearly inspired by stuff like CDDA. it was basically made by some guy in russia with a shoestring budget and it shows, but i still like it. i think the only other talent that was onboard was some guy from GSC who worked on stalker

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
were there any Russian rpgs out there except for WotR?
Black Book is an RPG by current Codex standards of identifying as one and was a pretty good card-based combat game with a solid foundation in Russian folklore and a strong aesthetic sense:

AD5I3g6.jpg

qrd9C52.jpg

gdKdQro.jpg

wishbonetail

Learned
Kings Bounty, Corsairs and Space Rangers are among my most favorite games. It is too bad that nowadays most intelligent people had already left russia or died.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I though the consensus was they're mostly garbage beside 2 Pathfinders made recently, which was decent?
One Pathfinder game. One that was (semi-)decent and a second one that was less than that. I don't want to think what will happen if they ever try to make a new game on a new engine and/or ruleset. I don't even mean their ideology, only programming, system making, design, etc... It won't be pretty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom