Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&DNext Art Thread

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
To be honest, half of Elmore's works are just pin-ups with detailed background.

Probably that's why he's one of my favorite fantasy artists :smug:

kris

Arcane
Speaking of artists though, I wish they'd just go ahead and hire Jason Engle full time.

He has a kind of "Chinese style". With that I mean that all his pictures really follow a consistant color scheme, which goes more for a mystic effect than any kind of realism. You can see in all those pictures that they are based around one or at most two similar colors.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I like Jason Engles stuff, no irony. Sure, he has a lot of technical weaknesses, but I like his compositions and the 1-2 tone images he usually does. They'd be doubly good as book illustrations because they're not so noisy I can't tune them out when I'm trying to read the text.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Larry_Elmore_02_1024x768.jpg

Oh, how I miss the old art style. Just looking at this picture makes me want to jump right in, I can think of a story about that thing in a few seconds. Looking at the art in my Pathfinder books only makes me think "OH WAIT, I HAVE TO GIVE MY PLAYERS TEH FUGGIN BIG SWORD OF ULTIMATE DOOMSLAYING + 5 NAO BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME"​
Really, the old style was inspirational.​

Larry Elmore's art always feels like an oldschool D&D fantasy adventure you'd like to play. It's high fantasy, but with the focus set on making shit look adventurous rather than just awesome like nowadays. And even though many of Elmore's pics got dragons and shit, they always look a bit more down-to-earth, with the heroes just being a bunch of guys who do adventuring for profit or fun, not because they are TEH HEROES.

And that's what D&D is about, for me. Your party is usually just a bunch of guys and gals out to make a fortune by adventuring. You're not special chosen ones, just adventurers who do their thing for personal reasons.

This is D&D:
1336605994321.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I do wish Alex was here to defend the weird/gritty art style of the 70's and early 80's D&D over the faggy Elmore stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom