Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&DNext Art Thread

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
C1435.jpg

Syl

Cipher
I'm sorry to break the oldschool mood but I just found all the official concept pieces on this page: http://conceptopolis.deviantart.com. Some of them have already been posted.

Characters:

Monsters:

The halflings are still retarded and the weapons are slightly oversized, but good quality overall.

catfood

AGAIN
That doesn't look very good to be honest. Which is weird since MTG artwork is usually a lot better than that, so it's not like Hasbro can't hire better artists or something.

Alex

Arcane
Syl

God damn it, I had just eaten too!:P

About the older editions art, I won't deny 2e has a lot of very good art, but like Excidium, I like a lot about what came before.

a2.jpg

I really like how the monster in this cover appears. The purple skin tone, the shadows, the humanoid shape that doesn't seem quite right, all add up to a pretty cool effect. Speaking of shadows, I really like the use of color, lights and shadows in some of that older art:

25thcoc.jpg

This cover from the 1st edition of CoC may be a bit amateurish, like all this art, but at the same time seems to set the game's theme so well...

a4.jpg

The use of lights in this scene looks almost as psychedelic as the scene itself. The presence of mushrooms here also seem to be a kind of recurring theme in a few of those older modules.

b1mono.jpg

b1.jpg

mushrooms2.jpg

mushrooms3.jpg

mushrooms4.jpg

Another very interesting aspect of the early D&D art is that is sometimes is pretty... whimsy, I guess you could call it:

b3pic2.jpg

04.jpg

badassbunnies.jpg

(note this one is from early Gamma World)

cnssourcebook.JPG

(and this one from Chivalry & Sorcery)

Finally, touching the subject of monsters, I can't help but think the older illustrations had a bit more... personality, maybe?

01.jpg

08.jpg

10.jpg

13.jpg

owlbear.jpg

mm1st.jpg

beholder_zps3ba4c4ba.jpg

ridinghag_zpse790e002.jpg

By the way, I really like that the osr is bringing some of thatold drawing style back in the RPG market. I thought that DCC RPG in particular was very well illustrated.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well, technically it doesn't have art yet. It's only concept stuff to settle the overall aesthetics of races and shit. The last update with halflings was already a step in the right direction.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
I'm also writing an angry letter to the editor about the fact that chinese wage slaves can't even spell "Kuo-toa" properly. Preposterous!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I do wish D&D would go back to a more realistic looking art style.
One problem with that though would be that DnD is not realistic. Like, at all.
So what? It's not because it's heroic fantasy that it needs to look retarded with spikes and sharp angles everywhere.

Just don't hire Wayne Reynolds.
Not heroic fantasy. Sky high fantasy. You'd look more silly trying to be gritty and realistic in the art style when any sufficiently high level Fighter is basically Kenshiro with a sharp implement instead of a fist (a Monk is just Kenshiro).

Manzepio

Novice
Don't get why people are complaining. That art is cool and actually some genuinely original fantasy art. We've been used to FIST-BIGGER-THAN-HEAD WoW art style for so long now I welcome any change. For every point where Pathfinder is great, its art style was the most shitty in any D&D iteration yet.

I don't want Pathfinder, but I don't want this either, God no.

I want a new Clyde Cadwell or Jeff Easley.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Don't get why people are complaining. That art is cool and actually some genuinely original fantasy art. We've been used to FIST-BIGGER-THAN-HEAD WoW art style for so long now I welcome any change. For every point where Pathfinder is great, its art style was the most shitty in any D&D iteration yet.

If you want good looking art in modern PnP games, Goodman Games has nailed old-school aesthetics without being slavish to the past. Anything by Doug Kovacs is incline.

Manzepio

Novice

If you want good looking art in modern PnP games, Goodman Games has nailed old-school aesthetics without being slavish to the past. Anything by Doug Kovacs is incline.

The guy who work on DCC? DCC art definitely feels very oldschool, even hearkening back to Erol Otus.

Stuff like this is painfully underrated:
Cma8nJ8WIAAi2Lo.jpg
DCCRPG-DK-2.jpg

nikolokolus

Arcane
Yeah, DCC RPG. The one on top is by Peter Mullen, Kovacs is on the bottom. Most of the guys in their stable have that Erol Otus/Trampier vibe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom