Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D:OS 2 - what do attributes do?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looking at the attribute descriptions, they seem pretty limited. Strength only gives you equipment load and bonus damage (for STR weapons). Finesse and Intelligence are even worse (they only give bonus damage for respective weapons)? Etc.

I am sure there is more than that. Some skills scale with attributes, Finesse gives increased dodge chance (I think).

Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of what each attribute affects?

Sjukob

Arcane
http://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Attributes

Attributes in this game are braindead simple .

Additionaly:
Intelligence , Finesse and Strength allow you to equip armor/weapons , Constitution allows you to wear shields , if I remember correctly the highest requirement per stat is 14 . Finesse doesn't increase dodge despite what tooltip says . Scoundrel and Warfare skills scale with the damage of your weapon as well as the attribute it belongs to , for example wielding a staff will make skills of these schools deal elemental damage of your staff + they will receive damage bonus from intelligence . While wits boosts your initiative it's not as strong as it was in DOS1 , because the game turn order is hardcoded in : you , enemy , you , enemy ...

Tigranes

Arcane
For almost every character you increase either STR, FIN, or INT, whatever your chosen damage attribute is. And you put in a point in Memory every time you need it.

That's it, really.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
CON can be subjective. Picture of Health + Warfare + CON bump can be good. It's perfectly viable to invest nothing into CON, since Armour is more important than Vitality and you get big bumps in Vit with level anyway. But if you don't like glass cannons then it can be worth your while.

Murk

Arcane
INT is the only stat I would double-dip into for supplemental magic ability -- i.e, my fighter who also used necromancy.

The only other reason is if you want a backup persuasion stat for when your main one isn't an option, though between STR/CON/MEM I found I was pretty set (and the persuasion skill itself is seemingly more important than the stats.)

My fighter had 10 finesse but 60 strength at level 20.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
INT is the only stat I would double-dip into for supplemental magic ability -- i.e, my fighter who also used necromancy.

[...]
Necromancy primarily does physical damage. Max out Warfare and Necromancy will be obscene. Double-dipping for Intelligence is in no way needed, and Necromancy in itself will make every attack you do with your weapon leech health.

Max Warfare.

Max Scoundrel.

Max Str.

Stack +crit% via equips, amulet runes and maybe spare points in wits. helps if you design this char to go 1st and stack initiate too.

Some memory for the skill slots.

Get a bitchin 2 hander with 3 slots and use giant masterwork rune of power in weapon.

Get mobility skills like phoenix dive, tactical retreat cloack and dagger.

Teleport and rape any boss in 1 turn at tactician wih auto attacks only.

Murk

Arcane

[...]
Necromancy primarily does physical damage. Max out Warfare and Necromancy will be obscene. Double-dipping for Intelligence is in no way needed, and Necromancy in itself will make every attack you do with your weapon leech health.

They do physical damage, but they scale with INT, even if you are using a STR weapon.

For example, my summon's mosquito swarm did 2x the damage of my own because my INT was so low (20 total with gear bonuses).

Point is, if you are going for fighter, INT is the only other offensive stat worth dipping into if you plan to use magic -- especially if you go one of the four elements. I used necro but others may use geo or hydro (heals more, etc.).

double dipping into int is inefficient for a fighter.

If you are aiming for physical damage, u pick up the magic skills for utility.

Like 2 effective necro for shackles of pain death wish living on the edge (superb combo btw).

or if u go for hydro/geo for restoring armor. armor restored doesnt depend on int only on char lvl and skill lvl.

Ofcourse 10 summoning is bitchin on any damn build ever.

also 5 polymoroh for the cooldowb reset and apothesis skill.

Murk

Arcane
I didn't say you SHOULD, I said it's the only other stat worth even putting points into if you plan to use magic. FFS.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So it's worth putting points into the only attribute that affects magic damage when trying to use magic? What a revelation.

You're still better off stacking wits as a second stat and get some critchance from gear and critmulti from scoundrel.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah I dunno how you guys are powergaming but my fighter loses his armor thing frequently enough to rely on his HP. The more the merrier I say

Sjukob

Arcane
Yeah I dunno how you guys are powergaming but my fighter loses his armor thing frequently enough to rely on his HP. The more the merrier I say
Unless you are playing on tactician with 4 men party and your armor goes down before everybody is dead you are doing something wrong . This doesn't apply to the first act however . People say constitution is useless because any damage dealing character with some points in necromancy will heal back to full by throwing aoe abilities into the crowd or just annihilating somebody with huge crits .

Last edited:

John Keel

Savant
Then gitgud, you're not really supposed to lose life in this game, only some armor.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom