Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter
Will the dungeons be any different in this version? Maybe some smaller, less random and more coherent?

Luzur

Good Sir

New Video!

In other news from Daggerfall Workshop:
Posted on May 27, 2015

My father passed away last night. This has been coming for some time so is no surprise, but hits me hard all the same.

I will be taking some personal leave time away from work and my side projects until things settle down.

I will resume work on the 1.3 release as soon as I am able. Until then, please don’t forget you can download the 1.3.8 Developer Preview for Unity 5 compatibility.

Thank you for your patience. I wish you all the best.

Dont worry though, Interkarma is already back on track since 5 june!

Also, "news" from Lucius DaggerXL:

May 22, 2015
Arctus, Site Staff

I was initially going to just let things play out however it was going to go with these forums and this community, but Lucius has not logging in for over a year and there's the looming threat that the forums could go down and never resurface. As a mod I keep tabs on these forums to make sure nothing goes awry, and it's nice to see that some people still post their contributions to Daggerfall and other projects, and I don't want it all to be lost. So to make a long story short I just want to bringInterkarma's Daggerfall Workshop and its forums to the attention of people that may not be aware of it.

This forum has fostered quite an array of contributions to Daggerfall through music, textures, UI mods, and a grab bag of other work. I don't want to see it lost and I don't want to see it dropped. I've see it happen and it's a bummer, work is lost and people disperse and are not heard from again. So I'd just like to recommend that if anyone is still lurking around here and interested in continuing work on DF, or just keeping tabs on the work being done with DF, to check out the DF Workshop. It's open source with Unity3D and there is already a modding community chugging along on various parts of the game.

I don't want this to come across and disrespectful that I'm basically tell people on this forum to hop ship, but I'm just being realistic here. I'm more concerned with maintaining work that has been done, going forward with new and interesting things, and keeping people together that want to continue to be part of this little Daggerfall community.

even Lucius own admin seems to loose hope.

Must be a really demanding new job Lucius got that stops him from logging in for 5 minutes and say "Hello, im alive!"

ortucis

Prophet
qio5paua.jpg

qqbqsai6.jpg

Why the fuck would you wanna port shitty models to a new engine? Some of the models (on right side) look new some look old BSP style imports from original game.

Either way, it'd be faster to just create this from scratch. And Unity 4.6 is shit. Actually, Unity 5.0 is shit as well but at least you will have better performance in an open world game like this than in shitpile 4.6..

Either that or use Game Maker to create this game.

This is making me want to play Gothic 2.

Mech

Cipher
Everyone knew this was going to die long before it was ever finished. You were simply lying to yourself if you ever thought different. Admit it.

Xi

Arcane

Why the fuck would you wanna port shitty models to a new engine? Some of the models (on right side) look new some look old BSP style imports from original game.

Either way, it'd be faster to just create this from scratch. And Unity 4.6 is shit. Actually, Unity 5.0 is shit as well but at least you will have better performance in an open world game like this than in shitpile 4.6..

Either that or use Game Maker to create this game.

This is making me want to play Gothic 2.

Its pretty obvious. It takes less time. DERP!

ortucis

Prophet
Its pretty obvious. It takes less time. DERP!

Putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger takes less time than trying to recreate a shit RPG from Bethesda in a even shittier engine.

I suggest you try that out and let us know the end result.

Luzur

Good Sir
You know, Ortucis (or Drog?), you really dont have to open up this thread at all if you are not a fan of Daggerfall.

You do realize that, right?

Luzur

Good Sir
UPDATE

Posted on June 28, 2015
The below short video demonstrates using the new enemy prefab inside editor. The same prefab is instantiated when building scenes procedurally. There’s a lot more I want to do with this, including the ability to override classic billboard-based enemies with full 3D models.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Must be a really demanding new job Lucius got that stops him from logging in for 5 minutes and say "Hello, im alive!"

It is easier to ignore than to face-up. It's probably been burnt to the ground in his mind by now. Wouldn't be surprised if he got high one night and deleted all his work to make a point to himself.

Luzur

Good Sir
Daggerfall Tools for Unity 1.3.31 Released!
Posted on July 20, 2015 by Interkarma

Release1331-1024x576.jpg

Daggerfall Tools for Unity
1.3.31 release version now available!

Key features of this version are:

• Full Unity 5 compatibility.
  • New material and texture system.
  • Using Standard shader everywhere possible.
  • Simplified custom shaders for tile maps and billboard batches.
  • Significantly improved batching and performance when using new Deferred path.
  • Improved billboard batching using geometry shader, now supporting animation.
  • Event system.
  • Started using prefabs for layout of non-static items such as doors, lights, and enemies.
  • Many bug fixes and improvements.
  • New Feature Gallery.
  • New Tutorials.

Enemy Prefab
Posted on June 28, 2015 by Interkarma

The below short video demonstrates using the new enemy prefab inside editor. The same prefab is instantiated when building scenes procedurally. There’s a lot more I want to do with this, including the ability to override classic billboard-based enemies with full 3D models.

Mech

Cipher
So they released some tools that are never going to be used because the project is dead? Doesn't seem like a particularly good use of time.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe change thread title to "Daggerfall XL isn't coming closer." ?

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir

Preview of the integrated VID player streaming 16 video files simultaneously in Unity. Each video stream is inside a discrete UI component that can be updated in real-time.

Luzur

Good Sir
Twitter Reminder
Posted on September 25, 2015 by Interkarma

Just a reminder to anyone hungry for more news, my day-to-day progress is posted to Twitter @gav_clayton. I post small updates and screenshots almost daily (sometimes multiple times a day) whereas this blog is generally for detailed updates and major milestones Even if you aren’t on Twitter yourself and can’t follow me, the feed is visible to everyone.

I’m moving rapidly towards first release of Daggerfall Unity and will have more updates for you soon. Stay tuned!

Also, some...hum, "news" about Lucius:

It's been a very long time with no news, and understandably, many have given up hope. Lucius hasn't had any free time to work on DaggerXL for much of the year, and with all the momentum behind InterKarma's work I wasn't sure Lucius would have much incentive to continue. I had shown Lucius the current status of InterKarma's work, since I thought if anything might cause Lucius to abandon DaggerXL, that would be it. But based on InterKarma's stated goals, which as I understand are to give people all the tools needed to work with Daggerfall assets, but not necessarily recreate the game himself, Lucius has decided that there is still a benefit to completing the reverse-engineering for DaggerXL.

Lucius has still been on hiatus due to the major side-project he's been involved with, but with the end of the year approaching, he's completed most of his work on that project, which has lightened his work load. With the bulk of the remaining work in the hands of other people, Lucius is now directing his thoughts back to the XL Engine. While there's really been nothing for me to report for the past several months, I've discussed the XL Engine with Lucius every time I talked to him, so it's definitely not a forgotten project. Since he's not quite ready to actually resume active development, there probably won't be any real news for at least several weeks yet. When I can confirm Lucius has resumed active development, I'll make an announcement.

In the meantime, I haven't forgotten about the DarkXL source code, even though I myself have been quite busy and haven't really had time to try to make sense of it. I did recently attempt to compile the code. It compiled successfully, but I get a black screen when it executes. Not being a professional programmer, I'm sure that issue is due to some sort of mistake or oversight on my part. While I'd rather be able to confirm the code runs as expected, that's not absolutely necessary for a source code release. I'm sure a skilled programmer could easily fix the problem or perhaps not even have the issue in the first place.

I know it's been a tough time for people who have been following DaggerXL, but it's only a matter of time before DaggerXL comes out of hibernation. In the meantime, there's still InterKarma's work and OpenDF to look forward to. I certainly cannot blame people for losing hope. With a seemingly infinite stream of delays, followed by the serious lack of updates, it's easy to lose faith. And with promising projects like OpenDF and especially InterKarma's Daggerfall Tools for Unity, it's understandable that few people would want to continue to follow a project that seems to have lost all momentum. In the long absence of updates from Lucius himself, why would anyone want to continue waiting for DaggerXL? The only assurance I can give that the project is still alive (albeit still in hibernation for the time being) is that I haven't given up on it. My conversations with Lucius have not indicated that he's lost any interest in completing DaggerXL, even after showing him InterKarma's latest progress. If I should ever have reason to believe that the project will not be completed, I stand by my promise to make an official announcement. My own absence here over the past several months was due to a lack of news, not due to any project cancellation. I do log into the #xlengine.projects channel at irc.freenode.net quite frequently (several days a week), so anyone looking for updates outside of the admittedly sparse forum news posts is welcome to login to IRC and contact me there. Weekends are the best time to find me on IRC, though often I'll be online in the late evenings on most weekdays if my work schedule isn't too crazy. I'm in the GMT-8 time zone.

Anyway, for those who have given up entirely on DaggerXL, discussion about other Daggerfall projects is welcome here as always. So even if DaggerXL has let you down, there's still plenty of room for Daggerfall-related discussion while waiting for the fateful day when Daggerfall is finally able to run natively on modern systems. With three different Daggerfall projects in development, Daggerfall's future is brighter than it has been in a long time.

Must be a very hardcore job if they refuse him internet for even 5 minutes to make an "Hi, im alive" update for himself

Last edited:

Aenra

I used to (try) and follow this all, but when it became apparent it is nothing but feverish dreams of a couple of manchildren playing devs from their mommy's house, i gave up :)

While it is obvious the degree of imbecility immaturity is still almost as prevalent as before (cannot conceive of one adult being content with having another adult making excuses for him over the internet over a 'gaem'), have i understood correctly in that there is now a different Daggerfall project in the works? As in, in typical fashion, it was not enough we already had one never to be complete, but we now have yet another in "development"? Except this one's in Unity now? Please tell me i am missing something here ^^

Though, even so, my last comment here pretty much stands; Minus serious:

- pathfinding improvements
- GUI improvements (being alerted to contracting a disease when you do, not right before it kills you to give an example)
- combat improvements (hitboxes most especially, casters can't even aim at short creatures when right before them, although striking through walls does come to mind in addition)
- bugfixing and polishing of all the issues still present in original DF

What the fuck is it you people find of interest? The graphics ..?..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom