Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
That's the way it was in the original game and it looks fine. Jungle areas were always my favorite.

Luzur

Good Sir
Hello everyone,

I would like to let you all know about my Arena project I've been working on this year. It's an open-source engine re-implementation for The Elder Scrolls: Arena in C++, available on GitHub here: https://github.com/afritz1/OpenTESArena. It's still pretty early in development, but progress has been steadily chugging along for a while now. I posted about it in the OpenMW forums in early October as well:https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3835.

I also saw that Interkarma recently got support for CFA files implemented. I finished support for that myself just a couple weeks ago with the help of WinArena as well
icon_e_smile.gif
. I'm pretty sure my project can handle all the Arena image formats now.

Anyway, good luck with Daggerfall Unity! I'm occasionally on the #opentesarena freenode channel if anyone would like to talk about my project or Arena in general.

Luzur

Good Sir
Nystul on Interkarma's forums have began work on a automap function on outside exteriors in Daggerfall Unity.

started to implement the exterior automap.
point "create the map layout" checked
icon_e_wink.gif

Was pretty straightforward since DFTFU already does most of the job. Just had to draw the info into a Texture2D

rKrKEvJ.png

edit:
point "render map layout into automap panel" checked
icon_e_wink.gif

(will change the filtering to point filtering so it will match vanilla df)

thinking of using the red player marker also for exterior automap instead of the dot at player position as used in vanilla df. That way you would know in which direction you are heading/looking. This is one thing that always annoyed me in vanilla that you often did not know in which direction you were looking...

about building names: I remember common buildings to be revealed as "residence" when you inspected them in look mode. When getting a town quest and asking for the target location it would get a unique name. So here are my questions:
  • did the same house always get the same name assigned or was it generated randomly?
  • did it replace a name previously assigned as "residence" by the unique name? I guess so...
  • did it remain the name after the quest was finished? If not, did it switch back to undiscovered or "residence"?
  • were revealed "residences" stored in a way that they remained discovered even when leaving towns?
made a new pull request - changes are:
  • introduced building nameplates (currently shop type is used instead of building name)
  • walking to new locations works now correctly with exterior automap
  • camera rotation and zoom settings are remembered and restored now when closing and reopening exterior automap while in a location (resets on new location)
  • resources will be now loaded only on demand
  • location layout is now only generated once - when the automap is opened for the first time for the current location
my plan would have been to render each building name "plate" to a separate Texture2D and place them in the correct position. that way moving the camera and zooming in/out would work without any changes required to the plates once they are in place. when rotating it should suffice to rotate the transform of each plate.
Not sure if the DagUI elements behave the same way in relation to the automap camera. If so there is no reason not to use those...

edit: ok so I tested DagUI TextLabel and placement and scaling can not be changed how it seems once it is attached to the render panel of the automap.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

What's with the faggy music?

Is this a vanity indie project or a serious attempt at improving the original? What, No Man Sky is a pile of shit so we gonna run to Daggerfall and give it a face lift?

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
Havent heard anything more atm, but Nystul have come some bit with his "Project: Increased Terrain Distance" mod for Dagger Unity

As some of you may already know I have been working on increasing the terrain/view distance in DFTFU

Current version is 1.5 (requires DFTFU 1.3.37):
Version 1.5 is out!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1QjwG ... sp=sharing

updated documentation:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1QjwG ... sp=sharing

see the screenshot gallery (with Lypyl's Enhanced Sky and Uncanny Valley's RealGrass mod):
http://imgur.com/a/FijMk

i got some nice screenshots:

1pgqVFf.png

bK3wuWh.png

nuq8lTn.png

This last one as i figure it is a port city.

Also, TheLacus is doing a mesh replacement project:

mfabBKS.png

h0Ok278.jpg

9UtIBUL.png

rfP1VTB.png

Screenshot_2016_10_22_20_46_42.png

And Reflection mod by Nystul again.

HUcUrcQ.png

MM9gAqj.png

EEEPJhz.png

And Arl is doing a UI upgrade:

Yc3nYMrl.png

TUYj1CIl.png

Pm99suUl.jpg

IHOyMEal.png

Lucius on the other hand havent been seen since July, and people on his forums are kinda beginning to write him off again.

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
"You see that mountain over there?"
But, seriously, that looks yummy.

Hopefully they can get that roadmod + the fixed wilderness mod going too, then we can finally have a decent wilderness exploration in Daggerfall.

Luzur

Good Sir
December 2016 Test Build
Posted on December 23, 2016 by Interkarma

Hello everyone! This will be my last post for 2016. It’s been a great year for Daggerfall Unity with solid updates across the board. I was hoping to have basic quest support in by now, but sadly not everything goes to plan. This will return as a priority early in 2017 so watch this space!

One thing that always amazes me is the quality of work this community is willing to put back into Daggerfall Unity. It’s always a pleasure to find a new pull request on git from someone willing to contribute their personal time to make this project even better. So this post is going to focus almost exclusively on contributions from community members. It’s time for kudos and credits all around, and you’ll see very little of me this post.

Texture & Mesh Replacement
This feature began with Uncanny_Valley and has lately been updated and maintained by TheLacus. It allows for runtime injection of new textures and meshes into Daggerfall Unity’s scene builders, setting the stage for updated models, higher resolution materials, and improvements to Daggerfall’s vanilla UI. It’s still early days but the potential is incredible. Here’s a few screenshots of new assets by community members.

BNtSeZJ.png

BQO6EnI.png

DpuegDO-1024x797.png

At time of writing, mesh and texture replacements aren’t quite ready for download. But now support for this is baked into the core, you should start seeing community-created packs in the near future. You can read more about mesh and texture replacement inthis thread on the forums.

Early Bow Combat
New contributor electrorobobody added basic bow combat to the lineup of supported weapon animation. No counting arrows yet, and you’ll need to roll a new character for your free silver bow, but it’s awesome to finally burn down enemies with ranged kiting. Looking forward to bows becoming a strong part of the game in future.

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

Save & Load Weather
Daggerfall Unity added basic weather events a while back, but they would not be saved and loaded with your games. Thanks tomidopa, the current state of weather will be saved and loaded. This will only get better once correct weather events are wired up based on climate and season.

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

Enemy Steering
Another epic update by midopa. He added a little steering to enemy AI to prevent enemies from stacking on top of small creatures like rats. As hilarious as this problem could be, it’s good to see a workable solution for this bug. It’s still possible for enemies to slightly stack in edge cases, but the problem is much improved and they will no longer ride around on each other (imagine skeletons surfing rats and rat-rat-rat stacks).

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

Potion Recipes
The perennial InconsolableCellist returned with some amazing updates for us. Credit goes completely to him for working out potion recipe format and integrating with Daggerfall Unity. This also means potion recipes will display properly in inventory, and they’re even usable to see the individual ingredients. This is really important ground-work for a bunch of other things down the line.

e5b8xQq.png

Books
I wrote the initial book reader UI ages ago, but InconsolableCellist wrapped it up along with random book drops in loot, correct tooltips, and all-round awesomeness. Books currently exhibit the same formatting problems as classic (because it’s the same book data). That’s something yet to be fixed.

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

Exterior Automap
Nystul has done it again with the perfect companion UI to his dungeon and interior automap. Yep, exterior automaps are now a thing! It even supports proper tagging of buildings, zoom, and rotation. As always, I’m completely blown away by how complete this is right from the start. It’s still waiting on full building name integration and building identification in scene, but that will come. For now, all the buildings are tagged by type. Go explore!

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

Spotlight: Allofich
I can’t give Allofich high enough praise. He has worked incredibly hard tuning up different areas of Daggerfall Unity to make it more true to the original. He fixed a wide range of UI problems, identified sound effects, linked sounds to their correct actions, fixed clothing and item problems, and so on. Check out his full list of commits here. It’s hard to show these off properly in screenshot form because the changes are either subtle improvements or related to audio, but below is one of the UIs he has cleaned up. Note the poor texture joins in the “before” image (circled). Huge props to Allofich for his work!

scroll-before-1024x367.png

scroll-after-1024x404.png

Thanks To: AnKor
OK this is embarrassing. I was looking everywhere for the animations used when player was riding horse or cart. These turned out to be in the overlooked CFA image file format. Somehow, I had completely disregarded these files which are a format holdover from Arena. Yep, I’m only human. Fortunately, AnKor pointed this out on the forums and I was able to implement CFA support in no time. Now we have this:

df-horse.gif

df-cart.gif

It’s only a short jump from here to having these transport options in the game.

Thanks To: Testers
I also want to send out a huge thanks to all the amazing people who tested Daggerfall Unity in 2016 and reported the bugs and problems you found. There are simply too many people to list, but you know who you are. You’re on the forums, and Twitter, and Reddit, and sending me emails. You guys rock!

Bugs and Problems
Yep, we got ’em! Any large update like this will bring its fair share of new bugs. If you come across a bug during tests and would like to report it, please lodge this in the Bug Reports forum. Don’t forget to read the Guidelines to help you provide the best information to developers.

Contributors, please keep an eye on the Bug Reports forum for anything that might fall into your wheelhouse.

Where To Download?
You can always download the latest version of Daggerfall Unity from the Live Builds page. If this is your first time downloading Daggerfall Unity, welcome! Other information on Live Builds page should also help you get started. If you have any troubles, or just want to discuss updates, please go to the December 2016 Test Builds Updated thread on forums.

That’s it for 2016! Thank you everyone for visiting and all your kind words of support. Here’s wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and all the best for 2017!

For more frequent updates on Daggerfall Unity, follow me on Twitter @gav_clayton.

Videos didnt upload, so go here for them: http://www.dfworkshop.net/

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why the fuck are these retards working on graphics "improvements" that really just fuck with what should be a pixelated aesthetic, when a fully playable update to the game doesn't even exist yet?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Why the fuck are these retards working on graphics "improvements" that really just fuck with what should be a pixelated aesthetic, when a fully playable update to the game doesn't even exist yet?

Because the graphics updates gets all the drool they need as modder fuel. Someone sees sprites that conjure memories in a circa 2005 quality 3d scene and it's all glory. There's no glory in wrestling with systems and bugs. I say that as a pessimistic observation on human nature, not the project.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Looks like minecraft now

but that distance view to the horizon hhhnnnngggggggg

Luzur

Good Sir
Back To Work 2017
Posted on January 24, 2017 by Interkarma

Hey everyone, belated happy new year for 2017!

I’m back to work after taking a few weeks off. Now things have settled down, I’m also back to working on Daggerfall Unity’s quest system. You can expect a blog post for part 3 of this series soon.

Quests are the beating heart of Daggerfall, everything from the tutorial to vengeance! are powered by quests, and this will be my main focus in 2017 until things are working well enough to move onto spells and effects. With a bit of help from others this will come together at a reasonable speed. Just to manage expectations, you won’t see a fully-formed quest system arise out of nothing – things will continue to be built in small stages. But barring any major setbacks, you should be able to launch quests for testing with the quest debugger by March-ish. I can’t promise every part of quests will operate (in fact, I guarantee it won’t) but it should be enough for testers to sink their teeth into and iterative development will continue from there.

Speaking of help, I’m also looking forward to seeing what contributors and modders do in 2017. I think last quarter saw the most number of new contributors since Daggerfall Unity began in August 2015. This is really exciting for me because it confirms opening source from the beginning was the right choice. There will probably come a point where the project will be taken further by others (and probably faster) than I could take it by myself. If things keep heading the way they did in 2016, this should be a big year for Daggerfall Unity.

Luzur

Good Sir
Recent Downtime
Posted on March 5, 2017 by Interkarma

It has been a frustrating few days after a recent AWS outage borked MySQL connections for our blog and forums. The host resolved this quickly for sites hosted in North America region, but dfworkshop.net was hosted in the closest datacentre to Australia (Asia region), and this continues to be down at time of writing. And after almost 48 hours, I’m still unable to obtain time-frame for fix.

I’ve worked around this by migrating sites to North America region with functioning MySQL servers. Unfortunately, databases couldn’t migrate because source servers still aren’t live. To fix this, I restored from the most recent backup available taken on 25/02/17. For the blog this isn’t a problem as nothing was posted in this time, but for forums this means all posts, replies, PMs, and new user registrations created after 25/02/17 are not part of the restore.

I’ve locked the forums for now and will continue working with host to try and recover a later version of databases. Outcome is dependent on how quickly host can resolve MySQL issue in Asia region. If they can’t fix this in next 24 hours, I’ll unlock forums and we’ll just move on. I’d rather have a functioning site than sweat over a few days of lost posts.

I apologise if you registered to forums or posted anything after the 25th. Forums will be back online within 24 hours and we can pick up where left off one way or another. Thank you for your patience!

Update: Forums are back online now. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like I’m getting those live databases back. This means I have to start from most recent backup as of 25/02/17. Please repost to any active conversations you were participating in prior to outage and we’ll be back on track in no time.

Lucius on the other hand isnt getting anywhere either.

Delays
Postby luciusDXL » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:32 pm

Hello, I have been away from the boards for a long time. I have been meaning to post an update but I find it difficult to do so when I don't have good news. For a while now, I have been swamped with too many things going on and have been unable to spend much time with the XL Engine. Among other things, without going into detail, this includes more responsibility at work, a project coming to a close and frantically trying to meet some hard deadlines.

However I have not given up on the project and will be returning with updates again as soon as possible. I expect to be able to be able to continue working on the project in earnest within a few weeks and should return to making regular updates at that time.

Again, sorry for not communicating this earlier - I didn't realize it would take so long to get everything into order.
icon_cry.gif

And his fans are getting uppity about it too:

Please stop announcing and then delaying
Postby Haggard » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:38 am

I've been following this project for a very long time. At least 5-6 years now. Possibly more. I came across this through Blood. It's crime that Blood is not open source and this seemed like a dream come true for me. Blood is my favorite FPS of all time and I just want to play it with openGL support and fluid mouse movement and mods. Is that so much to ask in life?

I'm not trying to be an asshole. I understand real life shit happens. I fully understand that. But I remember waaaayyyyyy back, god how long has it really been, where Lucious said that this would be ready in about a year. I think I was 24 or so at the time and it was right around the time when Blood was released on GOG. I'm 30 now. And this thing still isn't out.

I understand that DaggerXL is his real passion project and it was a situation where he most likely thought "What other games aren't open source could my engine support?" And came up with Blood, Outlaws, and that Star Wars game.

I thought for sure it was going to happen this year with the announcement that he ported over Shadow Warrior to test everything out but here we are.

Please just stop making announcements stating that it's going to be ready in a "few weeks" already a very vague statement, and then announcing a month later that shit happens and it's delayed again. If you're going to announce something please just give us a concrete date and not a "few weeks" or "within the year." and I know some asshole is going to appear and say "You should be thankful he's even doing this for free. Lucious can take 40 years to get this done and that's fine. All praise Lucious!" And I know, I understand this is a hobby project, I know he doesn't owe me anything, but fer christsakes it's been such a long time and Blood source projects have been teased and halted for over 15 years now. I just want to play Blood. That's literally all I want.

tormund

Arcane
I generally gave up on XL Engine. Last straw was him announcing Shadow Warrior support in the next build, together with screenshots and promises that game is fully playable, with Blood soon to follow... and then going silent and returning to his usual crap.
Luckily, we are now pretty close to getting reverse engineered port for Blood from other guy (check the Blood thread in general gaming) and Rex of Doom 64EX fame seems to be secretly working on his own one too, so it's not like people are obliged to deal with Lucius's endless BS anymore or play at cringy hero worship.

Aenra

Meh...

It's not about Lucious, it's about mentality; if you see:
i) one-man teams promising the moon
ii) strong focus on graphikzzz?

You already know deep down. It's why (although admittedly my phrasing was overly edgy) my initial posts in this thread were so negative. Modders too immature to have some degree of self awareness, ergo the promises, and too young to be really O.K. with early nineties or eighties graphics. You sit down to think about it, even other retards many will praise fall right into this category.
Wesp for example. A decade later, i still see bugs. A decade later, i still see his lack of maturity, as in his mind, uncut/unfinished content is O.K. content and/or a "priority"; when it's not improved tits that is.. A decade later, he still focuses on the eye candy. Now depending on your priorities, he may or may not have delivered and either way i'm fine with it all, subjective. Point is that he too falls in this category. Takes a rare exception and these almost always stand out. The dumbfuck here ain't one of them.

edit: just think about it, lol.. in DF, you can die without knowing why (you had a disease), let alone be informed you contracted one in the first place (yes it is so, it won't always tell you, they neglected to code them all in). You can attack through walls and without taking any damage, which is basically God mode for the non-lazy. And what do these fuckheads focus on? Horse head animations, lol..

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom