Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

Luzur

Good Sir
Is he using a mod that makes trees 4x larger? That shouldn't be nearly as cool to me as it is.

Hm, i dunno, but in one of the videos i think he says "they are alot more taller".

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
265px-Aloth-portrait.jpg

Hazelnut

Erudite
Well not surprised no one remembers me really. Anyway, I'll not be posting updates Luzur, I will leave that to patriots such as yourself and use my time to code. :)

Luzur

Good Sir
Dust of Restful Death
Posted on October 12, 2017 by Interkarma

The main story quest in Daggerfall Unity is cracking along lately. The more problems I solve, the faster I can pass new quests. This has created a cumulative effect where things are snowballing towards the finish line. Today, I feel I’ve reached an important milestone with the main quest passing up to “The Dust of Restful Death”, only a few short steps from the end.

In this quest, the player briefly soothes the tormented bones of King Lysandus to learn why he requires vengeance. From a technical front, this is not only the result of a long chain of earlier quests, but required some new interaction between the world and quest system, and is the first quest to play an in-game cinematic.

There are bound to be problems and bugs to fix as the full story quest rolls out to testers, but for now let’s just enjoy this one quest where Lysandus has his big moment.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Morgiah in TES II: Daggerfall
180px-DF-npc-Morgiah.jpg
20170411024056!DF-npc-Morgiah_%28face%29.png

Morgiah with the Andyfall mod installed
DF-npc-Morgiah_%28Andyfall%29.png
DF-npc-Morgiah_%28face%29_%28Andyfall%29.png

Both of these are superior to the garish new version of Morgiah
tT0hUpj.png

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
how much of the game is completely playable at the moment?

Daggerfall Unity Now Playable Start to End
Posted on October 16, 2017 by Interkarma

That’s right! The main story quest in Daggerfall Unity is now completely playable from start to end. I’ve spent the last couple of months playing through the story quest, building out engine support, and fixing all the major bugs I could find. It’s true this game still has a distance to travel (spell system is next major journey) but this is a huge milestone in the project’s life cycle. It’s no longer fair to say Daggerfall Unity “isn’t playable yet”, that’s not even close to accurate anymore. And thanks to regular contributors like Nystul, Allofich, Hazelnut, and Lypyl, some of the later features on the roadmap are building out ahead of schedule.

The quest system has consumed around a year of my development time to bring to this point. It represents the single largest group of features in the project so far, and drives almost every other gameplay system forwards. I feel confident in saying the magic system probably won’t be anywhere near as challenging. And once we pass that milestone, everything else is on the downhill run.

Getting Started
After you grab the latest DragonBreak build from Live Builds page, there are two ways you can play through the main quest. You can either start a new character and play normally (using quests offered by any Fighters Guild to help level up between main quests) or use the “setmqstage n” console command to force the game to a specific point along the main quest process. There are 7 total quest stages, thus “setmqstage 1” through “setmqstage 7” are supported. Each stage is a chain of around two to six quests that represent a particular story arc in the game. If and when new problems are found with main quest, testers can quickly restart and test just that stage without playing through the whole game from the beginning.

If you want to play the game as normally as possible, start a new character. Playing the game from start to end normally is also an important and time-consuming part of the testing process, so your time here is valuable, even if something breaks and you need to start again. But if you want to perform focused testing of the main quest, grab a high level character save and use the “setmqstagen” console commands. I’ll post more details in this forum thread as time allows. Please offer feedback in that thread or ask general questions, and post to Bug Reports forums with obvious bugs.

Stable Builds
The next step from here is to work towards a DragonBreak stable build and complete the 0.4 cycle. This might take several weeks as the main quest is a massive and complex system, there’s no telling what problems testers might run into. Once the stable build is ready, work will proceed on the spell system and 0.5.

Thank You
I also want to thank all of Daggerfall Unity’s contributors, supporters, mod-creators, and community members. You are all responsible for this project’s momentum, and for keeping morale high during those bleak periods of solid development where nothing visible seems to be happening. I am very excited for the future of Daggerfall Unity and the community building around it.

Cheers everyone!

For more frequent updates on Daggerfall Unity, follow me on Twitter @gav_clayton.

Morgiah in TES II: Daggerfall
180px-DF-npc-Morgiah.jpg
20170411024056!DF-npc-Morgiah_%28face%29.png

Morgiah with the Andyfall mod installed
DF-Morgiah_Andyfall.png
DF-Morgiah_Face_Andyfall.png

Both of these are superior to the garish new version of Morgiah
tT0hUpj.png

Well, fuck it then, i'll tell Interkarma to shut it all down.

Luzur

Good Sir
Music is getting a rework.

Hey Everyone!

I've been working with TheLacus on the music portion of this project. I've been taking the old MIDI files, importing them and using newer MIDI instruments, adding effects, changing tempos, etc to bring a fresh feeling to the original music without changing the original score. These will be in the form of MP3 files.

I've added a playlist on my Soundcloud page for you all to hear some of the remastered tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/sjgreenwood4-1/sets/daggerfall

Luzur

Good Sir
Short Work Break
Posted on October 27, 2017 by Interkarma

Hey everyone! I’ll be taking a short break from the Workshop due to work commitments. I’ll still be around and will do what work I can on Daggerfall Unity, but next 2-4 weeks will be busy for me.

This lines up well with where things are at right now, as it’s mostly bug fix and support at end of 0.4 cycle. All the best! I look forward to posting new updates soon.

Luzur

Good Sir
More Provinces?
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:06 am
How plausible would it be to take the heightmaps from Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, scale them up to match Daggerfall's scale and stitch them together before plugging them into the new engine? Obviously a lot more work would have to be done to place towns and landmarks, but is that something the engine could feasibly support? I know there's been talk of upping the resolution of the original heightmap, but this would instead also require the world size to grow as well.
Re: More Provinces?
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:01 am

The engine has room for it. There's always the possibility of making additional land cells outside of the Daggerfall map and placing things there. A long time ago, one of DFU's core contributors, Lypyl, made a dungeon generator to piece together a brand-new superdungeon using existing blocks. That same thinking, applied to city blocks and land masses, would produce what you speak of.

Now I'm imagining a Project Tamriel on Daggerfall scale, with a map the size of Europe
icon_lol.gif

Taking the actual height maps of the succeeding games would be awkward, though. You'd have these enormous rising hills instead of sharp mountains for Morrowind and Skyrim, for instance.

In b4 Tamriel Rebuilt DaggerXL

Luzur

Good Sir
I don't know at what point new enemies will be operable in DFU, and as with other subjects, I like to build up the bank first so we have something to implement when the time comes. I have some other and more ambitious ideas stored away, but I'll leave those alone for now.

nSWnj29.png

New, powerful human enemies could start appearing after level 10. They would consist of new classes the PC can't choose, such as Cutthroat, Warlord, Wizard, Mastermind, and so on. They would each have a new selection of stats and, for spellcasters, spells. They could be dressed in red or some other color to distinguish them. (The red palette here isn't perfect IMO but it works as illustration.)

mhrtpy6.png

Air atronachs are spoken of in Daggerfall's files but didn't make it to release. They could be semi-transparent and maybe make the same noises as ghosts.

sq4pIdI.png

A new variant of lich that only uses poison-based magic, since undead are immune to poison and not many enemies use this magic type.

xFD7tU8.png

A centaur zombie, or zombietaur.

mWeWt4q.png

A centaur mage.

I want to have a ton of variety, like with quests and spells, so it never feels like the player's seen everything. So I hope we can multiply the number of Daggerfall enemy types through mods.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
New, powerful human enemies could start appearing after level 10. They would consist of new classes the PC can't choose, such as Cutthroat, Warlord, Wizard, Mastermind, and so on. They would each have a new selection of stats and, for spellcasters, spells. They could be dressed in red or some other color to distinguish them. (The red palette here isn't perfect IMO but it works as illustration.)
mods.

They would consist of new classes the PC can't choose, such as Cutthroat, Warlord, Wizard, Mastermind, and so on.

new classes the PC can't choose

Sad, but perhaps these classes was impossible to implement for player's usage. Anyway good thing someone trying to port Daggerfall on new systems.

Luzur

Good Sir
Some more stuff from the forums:

I spent a week replacing some textures in the game (work in progress). Textures are taken from the site opengameart.org. Also I used my 3D renderers in DAZ3D. Work at an early stage!

Link: https://github.com/DFGrafon/Grafon

Installation
Just unzip the archive and put the textures in the folder ... \ DaggerfallUnity_Data \ StreamingAssets \ Textures

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Mosin Nagant's Swamp Temple Retexture

Description
This mod is my attempt at making temples in Daggerfall's swampy regions a little easier on the eyes. It changes the color scheme from an overbearing, monochrome purple, to something a little easier to look at. The textures are in .png format, but are simply a palette translation of their originals, which means they use Daggerfall's original palette. This keeps them feeling vanilla and part of the base game.

I'm currently working on a tutorial with illustrations that demonstrates how to easily do palette translations on Daggerfall's image files and I expect to have to have it finished and posted in the next few days.

Download Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/vp0bewst ... xtured.zip

Installation is easy: copy the .png files in the zip archive and paste them in your ...\DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Textures directory.

57i3DMo.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom