Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Does this fix work?
After examining the WeapDef.dat file under the Data folder I've found out how to solve the infamous cultist bug.

YOU NEED TO START A NEW GAME FOR THE CHANGES TO TAKE EFFECT

(or it may be enough to save again, but I haven't tested)

1. Open WeapDef.dat in the Data folder under the Chaos Gate folder.

2. Find the section containing the Laspistol.

3. Change "PlazPistHit.wav" to "PlazpistHit.wav" (note the lower case 'p').

4. Save.

5. Start a new game.

Enjoy your cultists without CTD.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I think it varies from machine to machine. There was a thread about this here. My workaround was to check "run in Win 95 compatibility" to configure the options in-game, exit and uncheck it to play.

Thread

Raapys

Arcane
Excidium said:
Does this fix work?
Tried that one too, without any success. Think I tried most the things the internet had to offer on the subject. Eventually I just gave up, as the game would start crashing at startup even after reinstalling. But yeah, it does seem to vary between computers.

luciusDXL

Educated
I wanted to give you guys an update about DaggerXL.

The project has moved (along with all the other "XL" projects) to a single new site: XLEngine.com. There you'll find the new forums, blog, website and even a Wiki (very much a work in progress though). If you look around for a bit, you'll probably also notice that all the shared code is being merged into the XL Engine, which will also support both polygonal rendering and sector rendering - see this post on the old DaggerXL blog for more information.

I also posted some progress towards version 0.20 of DaggerXL, which you can read about here, which also talks about the move.

Finally you can read about when the Alpha is planned to be released as well as concrete plans about the merger and other XL Engine projects: here.

Also I put up progress information that I will be updating on the Wiki, both an immediate Next Version to-do list and Weekly Progress. I put these up recently, which is why there isn't much there yet, so that people can follow the project progress even between updates.

As usual, any comments are welcome. However please read about the merger and move before commenting on them. :)

MCA
Turisas said:
Xi said:
I'm sure people will start updating the graphics when he's done.

Sure hope so, because even with the new engine it still looks like shit because of the original art assets.

Fuck you.

Original art looks great in original resolutions without the shit like blurring and upscaling.

DraQ

Arcane
villain of the story said:
Turisas said:
Xi said:

Sure hope so, because even with the new engine it still looks like shit because of the original art assets.

Fuck you.

Original art looks great in original resolutions without the shit like blurring and upscaling.
Sorry, but no. Original art direction in Daggerfall was largely mediocre at best. There were some highlights here and there but other than that everything was meh.

There is a lot of room for improvement in this area.

Luzur

Good Sir
DraQ said:
villain of the story said:
Turisas said:
Xi said:

Fuck you.

Sorry, but no. Original art direction in Daggerfall was largely mediocre at best. There were some highlights here and there but other than that everything was meh.

There is a lot of room for improvement in this area.

yesi know what you mean, those nude temple titty dancers would get a major incline if presented in HD texture.

Eyeball

Arcane
No, Daggerfall really, really needs a graphics update. It looked like ass, even for its time, and the thing I'm the most excited about for this project is playing the otherwise enjoyable if repetitive dungeon crawler that is DF without the boring, crappy graphics and art style making my head hurt.

Wild Slop

Arcane
I thought the graphics looked great at them time.
Looking at it now cant help but through the lens of my original time with it.
..although there is some of that dizzying head hurt at times, well when I played it again 2-3(?) years ago.

There is much to appreciate in those lovely 2d sprites. The hypnotic always facing you 2D courtiers.

and the 1000 & 1 stock sounds the game was brimming with.
Will hear from time to time during random movie or TV (sound of the heavy doors opening, womans laugh or skeletons shriek ect.)

All that said updates very much welcomed provided the spirit remains.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Twinkle said:
Virtual PC is kinda shitty, "acquire" VMWare instead. Also, you can get around cultist bug by disabling unit sounds. :M This way CG works OK even under W7 64 bit.

Why would you need to acquire it when VMWare Player is Free?

Works great for me.

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
racofer said:
Wrap oblivian4 engine around it = heavan.

Wouldnt you need a comptuer with a terrabyte of ram or something, a game of the size of daggerfall with the obilvion engine would be a monster to run

Tel Velothi

Cipher
Superb. Can't wait.

Btw - they will do something about game mechanics or is it only visual/performance thing?

I remember it being quite easy when I discovered that dungeons reset every time you exit it. You could repeat action - kill 2 bats, 1 rat, take loot, exit, enter, repeat. Ofc I stopped doing this, because it will ruin a game but it was kinda funny. I guess this "reset thing" had something to do with limitations of hardware in 1996? Although I doubt it.

Raapys

Arcane
Tel Velothi said:
Superb. Can't wait.

Btw - they will do something about game mechanics or is it only visual/performance thing?

I remember it being quite easy when I discovered that dungeons reset every time you exit it. You could repeat action - kill 2 bats, 1 rat, take loot, exit, enter, repeat. Ofc I stopped doing this, because it will ruin a game but it was kinda funny. I guess this "reset thing" had something to do with limitations of hardware in 1996? Although I doubt it.

From what I remember, they would reset after a set amount of in-game time passed.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Tel Velothi said:
I guess this "reset thing" had something to do with limitations of hardware in 1996? Although I doubt it.
Yeah, I'm sure hardware limitations aren't an issue now and weren't an issue back in 1996, that's why Oblivion's game world 10 years later still resets every 3 in-game days (~1h real time).

hakuroshi

Augur
In Daggerfall dungeons did reset on exit/enter. Most likely to not to clutter saves as normally you would not return to the same dungeon ever. Towns on the other hand were saved and that started to be a problem after visiting a couple of hundred - load times increased significantly esp. in DOS.

MW, Oblivion have a global variable for resetting which you can edit.

Still repopulating dungeouns is/was a norm for pnp rpgs.

Luzur

Good Sir
the guys started doing remakes of the ingame models.

5evdl2.jpg

9ktgn5.jpg

2hcm1sg.jpg

finally they will fix the exit doors, i never liked them ingame.

hrc8k4.jpg

34q8h0y.jpg

come on over guize:

http://xlengine.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=8

Stabwound

Arcane
Wow, this looks great. I won't hold my breath in hoping that this ever is finished, but I'd love to play it. Daggerfall gives me brutal motion sickness - much like many of the older FPS games - so I'm hoping this is tweakable or some shit in a way that will help me avoid that.

Xi

Arcane
He seems to be good at what he is doing! However, the time it takes, and real life issues, are of real concern. He's added more to the project by merging everything, and on top of that, he's added more games. IMHO, he should finish DarkForces and then Daggerfall before moving to even more games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Xi said:
IMHO, he should finish DarkForces and then Daggerfall before moving to even more games.

If you ever have done large modding projects before, you would know sometimes you just need to take a break or you will get burned out entirely. Like I switch back and forth between modding projects to avoid that.

All his updates just get better and better. SO looking forward to playing this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom