Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, it's the high-res that makes source ports especially appealing to me. You can actually see what the fuck is going on.

Also the (often) better controls.

Luzur

Good Sir
uh, he demonstrates higher resolutions in the video i posted..

The movie starts by quickly running through a dungeon with monsters and HUD disabled. It shows the software renderer running in 320x200, 8 bit color. Then it shows running from the dungeon exit to the nearest town.

After that it switches to a higher resolution, though still running the software renderer in 8 bit. It shows walking to another town and then to the coast. Once at the coast it shows the new water animation.

Luzur

Good Sir
update on 20th december 2012 from LuciusDXL:

I’ve been away for a while, I went on a long vacation (first one in years by the way) and have been busy with the holidays. I haven’t forgotten about this project and will give a small update about what’s going on. This is going to be a short post but important.
icon_smile.gif

The wait is not been for nothing though, I plan on releasing the DaggerXL Beta within the first month of the new year and then will proceed to get the DarkXL Beta out soon afterwards. Just to be clear, by Beta I mean the games playable from beginning to end and fully completable. Of course there may still be bugs and they won’t have all the features I want to call them “done” (as close to done as projects like these every get anyway) – thus the Beta – but they should be good enough to replace playing them in DosBox.
Unfortunately I probably won’t be around the forums much until after Christmas but then I’ll return to posting regularly again.

Turjan

Arcane
update on 20th december 2012 from LuciusDXL
Wow. Finished? I usually ignore projects like this because they tend to die an early death, but it's nice that I'm proven wrong from time to time.

Turjan

Arcane
Wow. Finished? I usually ignore projects like this because they tend to die an early death, but it's nice that I'm proven wrong from time to time.

uh, no, just an update on where he´s been.
Well, he announces a beta release during the next 30 days, with the beta being mostly in a state he seems to be happy with. That sounds a bit better than announcing a Grimoire demo.

Luzur

Good Sir

Well, he announces a beta release during the next 30 days, with the beta being mostly in a state he seems to be happy with. That sounds a bit better than announcing a Grimoire demo.

ah, well i dont consider Beta as "finished" but yeah.

Micmu

Magister
I'm a bit surprised that he wasn't curb-stomped by batshitsda, yet. As this is what they very much enjoy.

Kahlis

Cipher
Man, I started the texture project years ago (and am since disgusted by it, because I think the most beautiful thing would be a 640x480 software mode DaggerXL with cut content modded back in, so we can pretend it was the game Bethesda always wanted to deliver, the game that always was) and now the forum is a wasteland.

I just wish he'd drop the other games and focus on Daggerfall support, at this time it's probably healthier to follow the OpenMW project.

I'm a bit surprised that he wasn't curb-stomped by batshitsda, yet. As this is what they very much enjoy.
I think he said a long time ago on the original forum that he contacted/was contacted by them (the specifics I don't know), and they said that while they technically cannot condone what he's doing, they necessarily do anything to stop him either since DaggerXL is just a source port and does not distribute the original Daggerfall files. Which is kind of funny since the game is freeware now and mirrors are on countless other websites, but then again this was before the game was released for free.

The legitimacy of that claim, and whether or not other people at the company are aware of it though, is beyond me. Remember, these people tried to sue notch for using "scrolls" or something. It would definitely be in their nature, Interplay lawsuit style, to do a 180 and crush the project just as it's nearing completion.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Since it is an engine that uses the existing assets of Daggerfall, Bethesda don't really give a shit (similar to Exult).

Turjan

Arcane

ah, well i dont consider Beta as "finished" but yeah.
That always depends on the author. Some have final releases that look like alphas, whereas others release stuff that never gets out of beta status, while the user would never notice that it's not "finished". No idea how this is in this case, but I guess we will see.

PetrusOctavianus

Educated
Remember, these people tried to sue notch for using "scrolls" or something. It would definitely be in their nature, Interplay lawsuit style, to do a 180 and crush the project just as it's nearing completion.

I thought they got sued because they (tried to) trademarked the word "Scrolls". Which is about as arrogant as suddenly patenting round corners...

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I thought they got sued because they (tried to) trademarked the word "Scrolls". Which is about as arrogant as suddenly patenting round corners...

the only thing 'arrogant' is your self conceit, posting stupid suppositions based on nothing but hot air as valid reasonings. Because you 'think'.
Google is not your friend, or then again for you, who knows..but it is a good start sometimes..That said, they never got sued just as there has never been an issue from Bethesda's side. Bethesda in fact, for your information, was informed of this project long before they released Daggerfall as freeware, or whatever the proper term is nowadays. There is even a letter from them POSTED in the DaggerXL forums.

PetrusOctavianus

Educated

the only thing 'arrogant' is your self conceit, posting stupid suppositions based on nothing but hot air as valid reasonings. Because you 'think'.
Google is not your friend, or then again for you, who knows..but it is a good start sometimes..That said, they never got sued just as there has never been an issue from Bethesda's side. Bethesda in fact, for your information, was informed of this project long before they released Daggerfall as freeware, or whatever the proper term is nowadays. There is even a letter from them POSTED in the DaggerXL forums.

:butthurt:

Oh, and I wasn't talking about DaggerXL.
Sorry for going slightly off topic and thus causing confusion.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Congratulations Clockwork, you just manifested the immense depth of your intellect. Just because people post newfags join dates' sometimes as a sign of -insert trend here- does not mean you should follow suit. Find yourself a valid argument, or fact even better relating to my lack of logic, facts or understanding of any a concept and get back to me. Will promise to have my anus cleaned and my back bent.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Let me guess; nothing better to do, plenty of complexes to deal with, and an inability to even comprehend my reply to the last Einstein making a similar comment.
Regardless, do please accept my humble thanks. Had almost forgotten why Eugenics managed to sway so many people over.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
mm..bacon :P
Me i am hoping he will encompass unofficial patches as well before i grow (too) old, as currently at least, the version he is working does not recognise them all

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
his writing style first reminded me of prosper, but he's too much of a jackass to be him.

also: newfag can't read, lol.

Kukulkan

Learned
:thumbsup:the update. I'll wait just a little longer to see if there are any major mod projects to be developed for DaggerXL.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom