Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dangerous Rays : S.T.A.L.K.E.R like

spectre

Arcane
Some new developments that may interest you.
First of all, the website was updated, the noteworthy additions include the roadmap:
http://www.dangerousrays.com/roadmap

No exact details were given, but actual gameplay updates are expected next month.
Story mode should take off in September and we can expect basic modding support to start around September/October
Looks a little bit too ambitious, but we'll see.

They also plan to go greenlight on steam as soon as possible.

http://www.dangerousrays.com/roadmap
I also managed to miss this little bit of info, apparently the lead dev worked for Bohemia making Arma 2 and was the main dev of the Xtrem Arma mod.

Among other news, decisions were apparently made that the game will no longer be 100% procedural, but will try to blend hand-crafted and randomized content.
I think it was a good call overall, the randomized road newtork looked like ass no matter what they did and it's a bitch trying to catch each and every single bug in procedural placement whenever you add a new tree model.
This should speed development a fair bit, but there's no info as to what the ratio of hand placed to procedural content will be. We only know that furniture placement in buildings will be randomized.

Update 14 was released last week but I didn't have time to check it yet. It's mostly minor engine improvements, destructible crates, and more models. I'll drop you some screenies when I have time.

Perkel

Arcane
The engine and shooting gameplay could end up decent, but I just don't see one person being able to make enough interesting stuff to fill a game like this with, even assuming he has skills in all the areas required.

he is using procedural generation. So most of content isn't created by him but by CPU operating on seed number.

Which means creating whole game only depends on your math skills. There is other dude with game called limit theory and he is doing everything alone and he is much closer to finish game than any of new wave spacesims. Also that game will allow you to do much more advanced things.

Still i would love proper procedurally generated Stalker like game. Where for example player would explore dead cities, interact with factions and like in original concept of Stalker those factions would be fighting with each other.

Problem though with procedural generation is that math won't give you a story or reasonable quest better than kill x , get y. Nor proper dialogs.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Anyone still following this? How has it come along so far?

spectre

Arcane
Progress is slow, there's been two updates and one hotfix for it since last time. The guy blames it on the steam greenlight thing.
Hard to say if it'll come through since there's no major progress in gameplay as of yet, just some engine tech tweaking and a few new ingame items.

spectre

Arcane
So, I got some spam from Dangerous Rays a few weeks back, basically saying gib more monies to become a super important supporter.
Now that's some nerve, seeing that there was no updates since nearly a year and baturally, I flushed it down the toilet.

However, it seems that my money is not yet lost, as a new update is promised to land this year.
http://forums.lonelybitsgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=432

The delay was due to them rewriting the whole rendering code, performance wise, it seems to have been worth it, but I'll believe it when I see it.
The update also promises modding tools and some rudimentary gameplay.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So is this dead now or what? Haven't heard anything from it in a looooong time and the last blog update seems to have been in February.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Looks like it.
Based on recent modding situation with Stalker mods, where even Call of Chernobyl release (aka background for mods) don't help - after long pause it's dead in 99%.

So rip

spectre

Arcane
Yep, looks like it's dead. The author hasn't made a comment in quite some time and the forum is mostly spambots.

wyork

Novice
It's not dead yet ...

http://www.dangerousrays.com/roadmap/

Roadmap
Post has published by OldSnake   April 16, 2018 04/11/2018

Dangerous Rays was originally released in 2014 as a prototype version. In 2015 after the release of the Alpha 17 update we have decided to reboot the game entirely and make a much more modern and scalable engine by collecting all the feedback received from the players to our advantage.

We are now working since 2015 on the Alpha 18 version that is going to introduce this new engine and will mark the real beginning of Dangerous Rays development. Do not expect much gameplay content when the Alpha 18 version is going to be released. This will be a long development process and we will work with the community and continue to add content to the game gradually by listening the players feedback as we have always done.

[...]

ALPHA 18

Estimated Release Date: 2019

:hmmm:

Siel

Arcane
Patron
The dev literally disappeared, even from obscure french forums. 10 years younger me was really naive to buy this dayZ clone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom