Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Perkel

Arcane
Going back to lore.

Holy hell i think DS3 lore is as good as DS1 lore or should i say this is just continuation of DS1 lore.

What is also amazing is that shitload of stuff was telegraphed in DS1 to be resolved here. Gwyn firsborn for example was the one who either started Sunbro or was following him covenant but later on he betrayed Gwyn and joined dragons, naturally this caused Gwyn or his followers to errase all traces of him from royal family history. This is why in DS1 there are destroyed or missing figures in anor londo and why Sunbro covenant altar is always smashed. Because it depicts Nameless king with his prototype spear.

Also i wonder why they made lothric last pre cinder boss instead of Aldrich. What i mean by that is that Sulyvanh is character that basically is central to events of DS3. He was the one who convinced prince to not link the fire which started events of DS3 and rise from graves previous people who linked fire. Ashen ones also rose from ashes of people who linked fire earlier and player is one of them (due to DLC we know that there were more). He was the one who basically started royal family of lothric on path of war with itself. What i didn't find earlier is that Lothric castle was in state of civil war. Royal family fought with themselves and this is why you see winged knights who protect Gertrude/Rosaria from Lothric knights and why Lothric is barricaded. Also state of Cathedral changed as you see that Rosaria herself and her followers fight civil war as people who she raised are nailed to her chamber walls and her place looks like someone tried to get in forcefully (bent bars). He was the one also the one who basically fed Aldrich and was one of the blades of darkmoon which from inside managed to usurp anor londo.

Finally DS3 reveals a lot about way of white and Gwynevre and ultimate goal of player character in game. DS1 already outright said that Gwynevre has gone to some cold realm (irithyl) and married that nation king. Like Gwyn she tried everything to make humans link the fire so she and her family can live on. But due to different fuckups and events of DS1 she basically became mistress to last power in Anor Londo seath (which is why she bore Priscilla and Yorishka) that get her nowhere as Seath opposed linking of fire. In Irrythyl she bore Gertrude/Rosaria, Dancer, two princes and crossbreed baby while Oceiros was transformed into seath like mutant and once Sulyvanh convinced price to not link fire and civil war broke out in family which existed to link fire (statues everywhere in lothric points out that this was their family fate) she one last time tried to find undead to link fire and she eventually left again as her plan gone to shit. Way of the white is Gwynevre covenant which is steered into linking of fire and serving gods.

Now since we know now everything about humanity in DS lore we can see perfectly that Gods use players to basically prolong their existence while at the same time stopping age of men which is triggered by dark ending in DS1 or more properly explained usurp the fire ending in DS3. Rise of mankind as lords only to themselves is sybolised when player looks like he is holding black sun but that sun actually rises up with player:

(look closely at the black sun, btw Anri is still "alive" after that wedding)

and this signals start of true age of men not just dark age like in DS1 in which fire was probably restarted by some event but age in which gods are no longer and man uses fire only for his own end not gods.

So that means that if you link the fire in every DS game it basically means bad ending as you prolong basically enslavement of humans at same time forcing people to serve gods.

edit:

This also explains a lot about DS2 Nashandra and Vendrik. Vendrick tried to usurp fire and he failed. Nashandra wanted to do to player what player does to anri in DS3.

I also like how DS3 fools you into thinking that watchdogs of farron are actually undead legion themselves and when you join that covenant you think you serve same goal as Artorias to keep abyss at bay. Their lore is also pretty awesome.
Gist of it is that Undead legion is no more. Watchdogs on other hand are just guards of graves of those who tried to fight abys like Artrorias. So when you join that covenant you are not undead legion you are just gravekeeper. Since they are no more Oolacile fell into ruin progressively taken by Abyss even more than in time of DS1 DLC which is why there are darkwriths there. Grus you fight are members of oolacile population you fought in DS1DLC.
Also giant that helped you take down Kalameet is the giant on that tower. He also doesn't randomly shoot arrows. HE shoot anyone who tries to endanger those white trees which were princess of oolacile grave (why there are few in a moment)

As for Undead Legion itself which is represented only by that lord you fight they were pretty much Marines of 40k. They sunk whole kingdoms in blood if they spoted corruption (aka Abyss taking its root). Which is why after faron keep you explore Catacombs of Carthus. Which is briliant imo. Carthus was one of the kingdoms that Undead Legion anihilated. Wolnyr was king of that kingdom which played with Abyss only he managed to keep it at bay to not completely swollow him via his braces and sword you destroy in fight and then his is dragged and finally consumed by Abyss.

Now last important puzzle piece are those questions:
- Why Carthus lies under Ooacile ?
- Why Anor Londo is in Irrythyl
- Why Undead Settlement and Lothric castle don't "fit" like Lothric castle suddenly was risen on a mountain
- Why Izalith is under Carthus which is under Oolacile ?
- Why you step into Firelink Shrine past ?

Answer to that puzzle is literally in Kiln of the first flame near the end. When you go out of that Kiln you see that world world is jumbled and mashed together like spagetti. I thought at first that simply world is ruined but when you look at it closely it isn't ruined but more like mixed.

DS1 and whole summon system already rely on paralel worlds thus DS3 take place where those worlds converge (due to not linking fire for a long time) thus why some of those unrelated places like Carthus is under Farron Keep where in reality it was far away desert kingdom and so on. Same thing happens to Yorm and rest of people who linked fire and to player itself who is created from Ash of people who linked fire.

edit2:

Also ton of people omit NPC storylines. They always were important but in DS3 they are main part of story. Each of bosses you fight is tied to character. Siegward was friend with Yorm and Yorm ordered him to kill him if he strays from his path, Anri with Horace were only children who survived being sent as sacrifices (probably from undead settlement) to Aldrich and they are set to avenge their friends who were eaten. Hawkwood was one of actual Undead Legion members but due to his fighting style deserted or was chased out of Legion and he never made peace with that, in game he wallows over what to do with Undead Legion until you kill them at which point he mades his mind and tried to follow Firstborn instead and became a dragon. Finally player who rose as Ashen One from ashes of previous lords of cinder who linked fire because Lothric didn't want to link fire.

edit3:
DLC lore is also great:

Basically painted world also works in cycles and it is actually self contained which means that it doesn't care what is happening outside of it as even if world outside vanishes this world will be fine.

This time it is about "rot" (it is a painting duh !). Even in time of DS1 "rot" was already present in painting in form of that rotted dragon and bloated people but DLC is in later stage of rot. Though painted world of Ariamis is different than Painted world of Ariandel. Because it isn't same cycle. Painted world of Ariamis was later on repainted by Ariandel from this DLC. Those feathered beast you fought in DS1 in painted world are now also rotting away, they don't have their feathers anymore and they are basically enslaved to Frieda and Ariandel who stopped cycles of painted world.
They also locked away daughter of Priscilla who could repaint this world who comes back to paint after you take down Frieda and Ariandel at which point DLC ends suggesting there will be later part of this and continuation of that DLC.

Most interesting part is Frieda, which isn't actually named frieda but Elfrieda, sister to Yuria of Londor and she is actually first Ashen One. Like Yuria and Liliana (which isn't present in game) she founded church of hollows together in Londor and works toward usurpation of fire though she strayed from that path and ended up in painting world which brings forlorn souls to it. She came to painted world and convinced Ariandel that cycles shouldn't continue and rot should take in like in case of hollowing. Those monsters with claws are actually those feathered beast that actually embraced rot.

I wonder where new DLC will be set in though. I feel like this naturally will have something to do with priscilla child and "uncle" who send you to painted world. Since main game already talk a lot about londor and in DLC you actually see sister of yuria then it is possible that maybe we will see actually londor itself and last sister.

Also sulyvhan was born in painted world.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Why Anor Londo is in Irrythyl?

"Everything that begins has an end. All flame, brilliant, sizzling and off. But then, the flame rises from the ashes and is born a new realm with a new face." Straid de Olaphis (Dark Souls II)

I think that every time the first flame is linked or turned off the world suffers a great physical and geological change, like a great earthquake. That's why the catedral of Anor londo is on a valley now instead on the top of everything like in DS1. That's the reason too about why Nashandra's portrait in Irythill it's so damaged. The third Firelink shrine, the last one, happens after the ritual of the lords of cinder giving their power to the player. It's actually a no return point in terms of story, but in terms of gameplay you can return "back in time", like when you complete the game linking or not linking the flame and you can still playing the same unchanged world. Also, there's a thing that I consider as an important detail. Bloodborne-like, when the time of linking the flame comes the sky starts to turn red and the signal of the undead appears as the sun. You can see it even from Undead settlement after killing all lords of cinder.

The only thing I don't know about the lore is why are five lords of cinder needed now to link the fire. Were them needed too when Yhorm, Aldritch, the abysswatchers or Ludleth linked the fire? Why does their thrones appear in the dark age (The past in Forgotten graves where you fight Champion Gundyr)? What it's exactly the Soul of cinder? Why the five lords of cinders of the game aren't "inside" of that armor defending the first flame?

I hope the next DLC will present more information about Londor, the Usurpation of fire ending and the Pus of man. Current now looks like Kathee managed everything through the church of Londor (The three sisters, which Yuria being one of them) to find something more useful that not linking the flame: turning the flame "dark" somehow. He used the players for doing that purpose. Also, the abyss corrupted Yhorm (He has red eyes, a possibly signal of corruption of the abyss) and the abysswatchers (One of them has red eyes, the same that starts to fight his companions) while two darkwraiths approach the building, making them return to their origin places and leaving their thrones empty. All to guarantee a Age of dark in case of the failure of Yuria and the pilgrims.

Gt+implying+chosen+undead+is+a+real+title+gt+implying+_44ce2c5a92bbf32ee4f16fa1d64d0038.jpg

Don't get fooled. This is the face of "evil". The "villain" of the franchise. The conspirator against Gwyn. Probably under the brace of Manus, the possibly Furtive pygmey who found another first flame back in time. But Manus is dead, isn't he? We killed him through time-traveling in Artorias of the abyss DLC from Dark souls, making ourselves the true abysswalker and settling the false legend about Artorias, who was corrupted and killed by us. Can Manus return again? As a "new form" like Nashandra in Dark souls 2? Who knows.

btw the last DLC, which will bring the end of the franchise according tho Muhzaki words, should present a new ending about finishing the cycle of linking or not the fire. A new age, a reminiscent of the age of dragons, or a new one.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
I'm not a parrying pro (or even a parrying apprentice), so I have just summoned an NPC before Pontiff. NPC's performance was beyond my expectation - won on first try thanks to it. It's probably not a good sportsmanship, but bah.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I'm not a parrying pro (or even a parrying apprentice), so I have just summoned an NPC before Pontiff. NPC's performance was beyond my expectation - won on first try thanks to it. It's probably not a good sportsmanship, but bah.

TBH I think parrying should be removed from the series and maybe replaced with something. They never manage to get it right for pvp because of their crappy networks and lag and it's ridiculous to get 1-shot by such a buggy system. You end up with a lot of people who just fish for parries in PVP (because it's so strong) which makes it totally not fun. It also breaks the flow of combat with the cutscene.

I think that it would be cool if they based shield blocking effectiveness upon the timing of your block (so blocking just before the attack hits would be more effective than just turtling all fight) coupled with somehow making 2H weapon blocking more viable would be a nice change. Something like the mount and blade blocking system would be cool as well.

Hyperion

Arcane
Dragon's Dogma's block system was far better. If the blocking power on your shield wasn't enough, you would lose your footing as well as a portion of your stamina. A perfectly timed block would negate the stamina loss. If you were a Mystic Knight, a perfect block would also stagger the enemy for a second allowing you to counter.

The stagger might be a bit a little too much, but having even a great hammer bounce off a shield during a perfect block would be somewhat more acceptable. Giving a larger perfect block window and more of the aforementioned blocking power to Greatshields would make them a far more palatable choice.

The character used in trailers and on the box art is an armor clad Knight and every subsequent game they nerf armor and shields and favor rolling in tatters. In a gothic, dark fantasy game.

Instead we have thousands of assholes swiping their fists at you every time you swing in hopes of getting a parry to one-shot you with their Hornet Ring.

boot

Prophet
*steps out of the shadows*

Heh... I knew you were good when I saw your avatar. But this seals the deal. You have good sense, beyond question. You still need some seasoning, but one day...

... Anyway, see you around. *winks at you, then silently disappears*

perfectly timed blocks always staggered the enemy, even if you weren't a Mystic Knight.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
LIKE OMG IT IS RELEASED I AM BUYING 7 COPIES FOR ALL MY CONSOLES!!!!!!!!

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I hope you have fun. You can also play all three of them on PC too.

YES!!!!! GO GO GADGET STEAM CONTROLLER> I WILL PET MY CAT WITH MY METAL HAND AS I PLAY!
well you can use a 360 controller instead

What do you think this is? 2015? Get with the times or something. No controller slides into my computer's slots that wasn't specifically designed to. Sure, you may think why would anyone plug a controller into a computer when it already has the far superior mouse and keyboard combo? My answer to that is console!@!!!!! How could I possibly play all the best rpgs like DOOM and other major titles on my computer without a controller that is way gooder at aiming than a mouse? Steam came up with the answer to that - STEAM CONTROLLER!!!

sullynathan

Arcane
I hope you have fun. You can also play all three of them on PC too.

YES!!!!! GO GO GADGET STEAM CONTROLLER> I WILL PET MY CAT WITH MY METAL HAND AS I PLAY!
well you can use a 360 controller instead

What do you think this is? 2015? Get with the times or something. No controller slides into my computer's slots that wasn't specifically designed to. Sure, you may think why would anyone plug a controller into a computer when it already has the far superior mouse and keyboard combo? My answer to that is console!@!!!!! How could I possibly play all the best rpgs like DOOM and other major titles on my computer without a controller that is way gooder at aiming than a mouse? Steam came up with the answer to that - STEAM CONTROLLER!!!
oh, then you'd love the Xbox One Elite controller. It was designed with PC & Console in mind.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Nah, parry system is fine as it is currently. It's not responsable of the bad netcode that the series always had, which affects a lot of things in terms of PvP. Also, I found the shield system one of the best. I really like the stamina managemnt that you had to do with several bosses and enemies to don't get your defense broken or your stamina empty (thing that in dark souls 3 means get fronstabbed). Having your shield always raised it's obviously a bad idea, and you have to take advantage from that bits moments that the enemies give you to breath, following the pacing of the fight. This system make rising up when you get attacked and droping it just after very positive for your stamina.

Nah, parry system is fine as it is currently. It's not responsable of the bad netcode that the series always had, which affects a lot of things in terms of PvP. Also, I found the shield system one of the best. I really like the stamina managemnt that you had to do with several bosses and enemies to don't get your defense broken or your stamina empty (thing that in dark souls 3 means get fronstabbed). Having your shield always raised it's obviously a bad idea, and you have to take advantage from that bits moments that the enemies give you to breath, following the pacing of the fight. This system make rising up when you get attacked and droping it just after very positive for your stamina.
That argument doesn't really hold up because every system in the game would work better for PVP if the netcode didn't suck. Thing is, I think most player attacks have a much simpler, easy-to-follow rhythm than the tons of different enemies that you fight making PVP parrying fairly easy to learn. Even if it wasn't so easy to learn, the PVE shows that learning proper parrying can totally trivialize entire encounters. Bosses with vicious combos, magical attacks and all sorts of crazy tricks suddenly turn into little bitches that you can clear in about a minute with a couple of parries and the hornet ring. The mechanic suffers from the same problem that every OP mechanic in every video games does - it's just too good to ignore, especially when you throw in player competition. I don't think anyone would argue against things like the tricks you can do to preserve stamina while shielding. That requires skill and gives you a huge edge without breaking the game. As it stands, though, parrying runs counter to most of the other systems in Dark Souls. It encourages an overly defensive playstyle, and rewards the scrubbiest play possible. It could probably be fixed by simply lowering the damage and getting rid of the hornet ring, making parrying a decent-but-not-crazy damage dealer that is primarily useful for interrupting your opponent and giving you time to recover stamina, heal or start casting spells. That would still reward what skill goes into parrying, without leaving it as a dominant playstyle.

Totally unrelated, but, a few pages back I asked a few questions regarding boss difficulty and I appreciate all the responses. I found it really interesting just how differing the opinions were regarding boss difficulty. There was very little consensus, which says some interesting things about the interaction of player skill, build type, and the importance of the stats.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
That argument doesn't really hold up because every system in the game would work better for PVP if the netcode didn't suck. Thing is, I think most player attacks have a much simpler, easy-to-follow rhythm than the tons of different enemies that you fight making PVP parrying fairly easy to learn. Even if it wasn't so easy to learn, the PVE shows that learning proper parrying can totally trivialize entire encounters. Bosses with vicious combos, magical attacks and all sorts of crazy tricks suddenly turn into little bitches that you can clear in about a minute with a couple of parries and the hornet ring. The mechanic suffers from the same problem that every OP mechanic in every video games does - it's just too good to ignore, especially when you throw in player competition. I don't think anyone would argue against things like the tricks you can do to preserve stamina while shielding. That requires skill and gives you a huge edge without breaking the game. As it stands, though, parrying runs counter to most of the other systems in Dark Souls. It encourages an overly defensive playstyle, and rewards the scrubbiest play possible. It could probably be fixed by simply lowering the damage and getting rid of the hornet ring, making parrying a decent-but-not-crazy damage dealer that is primarily useful for interrupting your opponent and giving you time to recover stamina, heal or start casting spells. That would still reward what skill goes into parrying, without leaving it as a dominant playstyle.

Totally unrelated, but, a few pages back I asked a few questions regarding boss difficulty and I appreciate all the responses. I found it really interesting just how differing the opinions were regarding boss difficulty. There was very little consensus, which says some interesting things about the interaction of player skill, build type, and the importance of the stats.

Thing is parrying is not a dominant playstyle.

Yes, I can tell you that parrying can completely trivialize enemies and boss encounters, as a player who parries over a over again the hollow knights and the black knights of Anor londo in the first Dark souls every time I play it (It's actually the best method to pass through the infamous archers). The issue is that parrying in PvE requires skill, precision and knowledge about the enemies/bosses attacks and specifically, their timing. You can't simply spam the button waiting to get one free hornet ring 360 degrees no scope parry. You must execute them properly. When I parry those knights I know perfectly that the swordmans ones has two starting attacks that are slow and very telegraphped, which are easy to parry. When I fought the alberd/spear one I know that they can delay the animation of one of the starting attacks, which is hard to parry, so I can decide about doing other thing less risky. An so on. It applies for every game of this franchise. Even Bloodborne, where failing a parry-pistol-shoot hurts a lot even against mobs.

In PvP, people tends to spam the parry button just because spaming gets beneficed by the lagfest that online battles usually tends to be, because mostly battles happens going late. And even with the lagfest, it's relatively easy to punish a parry spammer with a properly timed hit or even a simply front kick. If the netcode of the games were done properly, parrying against real player would be hard as it is parrying against NPC invaders, who are very unpredictable in terms of attacks an movements. Because parrying is not about pressing the button when you see an attack to counter it. It's about predicting the movement that you enemy will execute. It's about knowing that your enemy tends to do an attack in a specyfic situation because he done it a lot of times before. It's about punishing the tendencies of your enemies. Just exactly like in fighting videogames. But, as all of you had probably seen, in mostly PvP it's just doesn't work properly because the netcode. And I don't find fair critique a gameplay mechanic that doesn't work in certain situations thanks to elements that aren't related with that mechanic. That said, backstabs for example were extremely more OP in both PvE and PvP than parry back in time, but since Dark souls 2 it's better driven. They sumarized a lot of battles in this:

IkJpK7V.png

4b5.jpeg

tumblr_o55gqvOVzW1rjr6rho1_500.gif

btw seeing that you asked about it the most hardest and challenging bosses of Dark souls 3 objectively talking (By objectively I refer to the characteristcs of the bosses only) IMO are:

- Pontiff Sulyvhan: Is fast, has unlimited stamina, hard to predict attacks.
- Lorian an Lothric: Fast, a lot of damage. teleporting, resurrection, combat with two phases.
- Soul of cinder: A lot of different attacks, lot of damage, grab and AoE attacks, juggle combo in air.
- Champion Gundyr: Shoulder charge (Cleans your stamina bar), fast kicks. Thye make him hard to punish from behind.
- Nameless King: Incredibly high damage, high defense, very long ranged attacks with spear, lighting movements.
- First DLC final boss (No name because spoilers): Combat with three fucking phases. Invisible grab attack in first phase (You have to dodge it because it sound. It looks OP but it's a beautifully designed attack) The third one is the hard. A lot of damage, unpredictable attacks, sorceries, AoE attacks, grab attack, freeze attacks. And of course, very fast.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
Thing is parrying is not a dominant playstyle

In PvP, people tends to spam the parry button just because spaming gets beneficed by the lagfest

These are sort of contradictory. It's not a dominant playstyle, yet parry spamming dominates PvP. Watch any video, people will roll at you, get up and hit L2 to parry with their Caestus in hopes you try to catch them at the end of their roll. And this is because of the obscene power of a riposte / backstab with the Hornet ring equipped. People are so obsessed with it, a popular build is to walk around with a Caestus, parry anything you can, then pull a Black Knight Greataxe out of your ass in hopes of a OHKO. It's fucking stupid beyond words.

And it doesn't get nerfed because From either agrees with the shitty playstyle, or sees how popular it is on Twitch and decides to leave it alone because it'll sell more copies. And DS3 is the biggest offender of the playstyle since Bloodborne influences clearly bled into the Souls series because of how successful it was.

Perkel

Arcane
TBH I think parrying should be removed from the series and maybe replaced with something. They never manage to get it right for pvp because of their crappy networks and lag and it's ridiculous to get 1-shot by such a buggy system. You end up with a lot of people who just fish for parries in PVP (because it's so strong) which makes it totally not fun. It also breaks the flow of combat with the cutscene.

DS3 changed a lot meta. R2 now has charge. It is really easy just to press R2 a bit longer and dude will miss his pary time.
Secondly due to how poise works you don't get any poise if you parry which means that when they will hit you they have guaranted at minimum 2 hits on you and very predictable 3rd once you roll away.

If you see someone fishing for parries then he already lost. To succesfully parry is DS3 once you play with someone who can actually fight you need to do parry mid fight and not fish for it.

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
Thing is parrying is not a dominant playstyle

In PvP, people tends to spam the parry button just because spaming gets beneficed by the lagfest

These are sort of contradictory. It's not a dominant playstyle, yet parry spamming dominates PvP. Watch any video, people will roll at you, get up and hit L2 to parry with their Caestus in hopes you try to catch them at the end of their roll. And this is because of the obscene power of a riposte / backstab with the Hornet ring equipped. People are so obsessed with it, a popular build is to walk around with a Caestus, parry anything you can, then pull a Black Knight Greataxe out of your ass in hopes of a OHKO. It's fucking stupid beyond words.

And it doesn't get nerfed because From either agrees with the shitty playstyle, or sees how popular it is on Twitch and decides to leave it alone because it'll sell more copies. And DS3 is the biggest offender of the playstyle since Bloodborne influences clearly bled into the Souls series because of how successful it was.

It's not so much contradictory as relative. Fighting laggy opponents is like entering another dimension where standard conventions go out the window.

I haven't really played enough PVP in DS3 to know but I love parrying. Wouldn't enjoy the game as much without it.

baturinsky

Arcane
Am I missing something, or there is not much variation in build/game style, if you want effective character? Sorcery is crap. Pyromancy is crap as primary damage dealer, but ok as a backup. Armor is irrelevant. Shields are ok as a crutch, but vastly inferior to rolling.

So, resulting power build (for noob PvE) looks like this.

Weapon - Dark Sword. Wide swings, maximum damage per time and stamina, shield breaking art. I see no alternatives.
Shield - Shield of Want, or Black Shield. Maybe Havel shield if you agree to spam Magic Shield. Som buckler if you can Parry, but Parry is too wonky.
Armor - whatever looks good.

Stats:
Vigor - 24+
Attunement - 18, then 24
Str/Dex - one at 40 (preferrably strength), other at whatever your gear requirement is.
Int/Faith - 20/20 for unlocking nearly all of good sorceries/pyromancies/miracles
Endurance - ~30

Overall, your power level depends on three things - weapon upgrade level, which is area-dependent. HP, which can be softcapped early. And Endurance. Everything else gives marginal advantage.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Am I missing something, or there is not much variation in build/game style, if you want effective character? Sorcery is crap. Pyromancy is crap as primary damage dealer, but ok as a backup. Armor is irrelevant. Shields are ok as a crutch, but vastly inferior to rolling.

So, resulting power build (for noob PvE) looks like this.

Weapon - Dark Sword. Wide swings, maximum damage per time and stamina, shield breaking art. I see no alternatives.
Shield - Shield of Want, or Black Shield. Maybe Havel shield if you agree to spam Magic Shield. Som buckler if you can Parry, but Parry is too wonky.
Armor - whatever looks good.

Stats:
Vigor - 24+
Attunement - 18, then 24
Str/Dex - one at 40 (preferrably strength), other at whatever your gear requirement is.
Int/Faith - 20/20 for unlocking nearly all of good sorceries/pyromancies/miracles
Endurance - ~30

Overall, your power level depends on three things - weapon upgrade level, which is area-dependent. HP, which can be softcapped early. And Endurance. Everything else gives marginal advantage.

Yeah one thing that frustrates me is that Vigor is WAAAAY more useful than any other stat point for point. Vigor gives like 20-30HP per level up to 40 while Str or Dex gives like +2 bonus attack power per level to 40... Int/Faith gives like +5-8 dmg per level??

End is basically not even worth putting points into because it's like a diminishing 2% increase per level from lvl 11 and it recovers so quickly.

So basically (especially in PVP) everyone ends up with a health bar like this:

hqdefault.jpg

Which REALLY SUCKS because if the meta for pvp is set to say 100, EVERYBODY dumps 50 points into vigor then only has like 40 points left to toss around between other stats. But vigor is SO OP that you're gimping yourself if you don't stat dump into it.

Zandig Slaytanic

Educated
So, is Sorcerer crap?

No it's not - quite the opposite. A bit rough going at the start but later in the game you dominate. Well worth the time to develop. I'm playing New Game+ with the DLC and putting a serious hurt in PVE with my Sorcerer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom