Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

vmar

Savant
The last 2 posts sum up my thoughts on DS3 perfectly. It's not a bad game, it just felt really by the numbers and uninspired. And don't even get me started on the 2 hour dlc...

Mojobeard

Augur
Everything 3 does, another Soulsborne game does better, that's the gist of it. But my main gripe is that they messed up build diversity so badly. Everything is against you unless you go melee with medium-heavy armor. Every little thing just fucks you.

Why go with heavier armor when it weights doubly more, doesn't give poise, and the protection difference is 3%? Why go with lighter armor when there's no difference in rolls or stamina regen? Why invest in Vigor for tankiness when it softcaps so early, and you still lose 30% as phantom? Why play as a miracle caster if it starts being viable at level 70+? And so on, and so on, and so on.

sullynathan

Arcane
if you were to take certain things, then duh, certain other souls games did certain things better than DS3. I wore heavier armor because that damage reduction meant a lot. I experimented with different armors throughout my play of the game and I play a tank build. I can tank far more with a heavy build and my dragonslayer greataxe than I could with lighter armor, same for vigor.

While I type this I am going through Dark Souls 2 again, since then I haven't played a souls game except Bloodborne. Having more mechanics meant less when the levels, bosses, and enemies are boring and done poorly. It was a nice deviation though.

Souls 3 arguably has the best bosses in the series anyway

Ivan

Arcane
Dark Souls 3 is the new Metroid Prime 3. good for what it is, but outclassed by its forebears, and plays it too safe.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Souls 3 definitely had the best bosses on average. Nice variety, novel mechanics. I feel like they progressed as the series went along in that regard. Souls 1 had the best world layout, but plenty of other problems, like the way pyromancy was utterly broken and some very awful gimmicky bosses. 2 had the best layouts within the levels themselves, but the world was retardedly gamey, with a bunch of linear paths to the boss of each route, and stupid shit like infinite lava seas on top of windmills. DLC levels were nice at least, and spread out enough to make the game less repetitive. The dual wield system was a thing, but not really a good one. It was very random and caused plenty of problems. Also, so many fucking humanoid bosses. So many. They weren't awful like bed of chaos, and I'd rather have them in than just like half as many bosses, but I feel like they could have dumped 4-5 of them in favour of another like the dragons or the giant spider.

I'd argue 3 also had the best pvp. It's the only one that doesn't rely on some glitchy bullshit to avoid being stunlocked, and it made heavy weapons very distinct from lighter ones by letting them ignore parries. Poise was very obfuscated but was a good system in and of itself, people were just butthurt it didn't work the way they expected so they didn't have the meta knowledge advantage they were expecting. It was also the only one with decent bow gameplay, letting you do things like roll attacks with them. Best dual wielding options too, made them actually interesting.

Biggest flaws of 3 would be the spells being more garbage than ever while leveling up (and honestly not that great even later, more style than substance really) and armour being mostly irrelevant beyond just forcing you to wear something in each slot. Though I kind of prefer the fashion souls to the derpy jester/turtle shit from DS2.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
^I actually agree with most of that. Except the poise ofc, it turned into a retarded placeholder mechanics in DS3. No idea why they didn't leave it where it was in DS2, it was actually good compromise. Fuck I'm still so butthurt about it.

I don't mind DS3 fashion souls either but it's a virtue out of necessity. It's pretty clear they just couldn't figure out how to make the light/heavy armor mechanics work. I gave it a little thought and realized it's actually a pretty goddamn difficult problem to crack but it'd be better then if they did away with weight and Vitality too and went in a pure fashion souls direction. Or the Bloodborn direction, doesn't matter. Anything than this half-assed system where a super heavy stat investment nets you a minuscule damage reduction.

Dunno, the entire game just screams the vibe of annoyed Miyazaki repeating over and over to his underlings "I know it's full of holes, half-baked systems and dysfunctional legacy mechanics from previous games like sin or poise but fuck it, just wrap it up somehow, release, cash it in and let's focus on our next game".

Zetor

Arcane
Picked this game up during the steam sale and just finished my first run last week -- man, sorcery feels kinda shit this time around, at least from my 'casul' POV (I play these games once in NG and that's it); playing a caster felt way more fun/powerful in ds2, and even in ds1 after getting some of the bigger nukes. Not sure if playing with kb/m had any effect on it, though I swear I experienced some input lag here and there, possibly linked to moving the camera with a mouse in the princes fight. Fuck those guys btw yeah yeah I'm a scrub

DS3 pure sorcery was just slow and annoying all around until midgame, and I think the fact that the flashsword - aka the "lol why don't you just pretend to be a melee build with your baseline endurance/vigor" spell - was one of the most useful abilities says enough. In midgame the hidden body + slumbering dragoncrest ring + pestilent mercury (this spell is super cheesy, love it) + mana-efficient-nuke-of-choice combo trivialized everything outside bosses, but then the bosses themselves seemed to get a massive hate-on for sorcery: pontiff, aldrich, oceiros, princes and and the goddamn crystal sage who I assume is trivial for a physical damage build. I was hitting the sage and the caster prince harder with my +4 fire rapier than my spells, ffs... and later on I'd only do appreciable damage if I put on all the "magic hits harder but you take more damage" gear, which turned my character into a total glass cannon who'd die if I missed a dodge. Ah well, ~git gud~ or die trying I guess!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

SANTA CLARA, Calif., (January 23, 2017) – Leading interactive entertainment publisher and developer, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc., announces DARK SOULS™ III: The Ringed City™, the final downloadable content expansion for DARK SOULS III, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc.’s fastest selling title in history. This new adventure has players chasing after the Slave Knight Gael to the literal end of the world as he searches for the Dark Soul of Humanity. DARK SOULS III: The Ringed City will be available for download on the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One, and PC via STEAM™ on March 28, 2017.

At the close of the Age of Fire, as the world ends and all lands converge upon themselves, a lone adventurer descends into the madness of the earth and uncovers the secrets of the past. As players make their way to the fabled Ringed City they will encounter ancient beasts, a new cast of characters teetering on the edge of insanity, new armor, weapons, magic, and at the bottom of it all, a long lost city filled with new horrors for players to overcome.

“DARK SOULS III: The Ringed City brings players toe-to-claw against massive beasts in a twisted descent into the bowels of the end of the world,” said Jason Enos, Director of Brand and Latin American Marketing for BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc. “FromSoftware has crafted visually arresting environments that evoke a sense of destroyed beauty and nail biting encounters that will leave players breathless for more.”

DARK SOULS III: The Ringed City will be available for $14.99 digitally on the PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One, and PC via STEAM on March 28, 2017. The game is rated “M” for Mature by the ESRB. DARK SOULS™ III: Ashes of Ariandel™ is currently available digitally for $14.99 on the same systems. A season pass for DARK SOULS III, which includes access to Ashes of Ariandel and The Ringed City, is available for purchase digitally for $24.99.

Perkel

Arcane
kek all those manus believers got rekt. Also i wonder who that is with egg. Velka ?

Perkel

Arcane
Looks like it is Londor or at least part of it:

Sable Church. Which also pretty much confirms 3rd sister and probably that Dark Age will be cannon ending.

l_5881b5f5c52e77ujhv.jpg

UQaBl9D.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
ofSKDAX.jpg

3 bosses and half it is then...

Still if that expansion had Friede like quality boss all over again then it could have 1 boss for me.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
:bounce: I'll say 5 or 6 bosses with some revolutionary ending of the trilogy. Please Fromsoftware, this not to be the last DLC.
Are there any Fromsoftware developers on this forum ?

Perkel

Arcane
There aren't any. They don't even talk with anyone outside of japan to be exact. And i hope they won't. At least japs have still enough balls to create something like DS while rest of western devs are chasing lowest common dominator.

Chance of them finding codex instead of skyrim forum would be small and effects could be way worse than anyone expected.

Though i am still pretty amazed that despite so many games in franchise they didn't set bar lower and instead they go up and up.

Deamon's Souls is by far easiest, then DS1 then DS2 then DS3 and Bloodborne. As if they realized that people who play those games skills grow with each new game and they try to challange them.

Friede i think is hardest boss of all Souls games by far. It's like they watched every single youtube let's play and made checklist of how to fuck people up.

Hyperion

Arcane
It was Londor? The areas in the trailer looked more connected to the Untended Graves to me. And that building looks more like a distant shot of Firelink Shrine than anything else.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Deamon's Souls is by far easiest, then DS1 then DS2 then DS3 and Bloodborne.

True but not "by far". IMO the differences between DeS, DS and DS2 are not great. The DS2 DLCs is a significant difficulty spike and DS3 even more.

Tbh DS3 difficulty is about as much as I can handle, at least when it comes to the final few bosses. Pontiff, Dragonslayer Armor, Twin Princes, SoC and Storm King were all beyond my skillz already (I did solo SoC and Dragonslayer but not without litres of blood, sweat and cursing).

sullynathan

Arcane
They were imo. Like two levels above vanilla or three
They were around the same difficulty. The hardest dlc was the one that took place in the snowy region because it had the the kings pets, those invisible horses and more ganks. Other than that, I didn't feel like the dlc was harder than the rest of the game. Keep in mind I haven't played the dlc in like a year

It will be delighting to fight fume knight again to see if his difficulty is still there.

Perkel

Arcane
Deamon's Souls is by far easiest, then DS1 then DS2 then DS3 and Bloodborne.

True but not "by far". IMO the differences between DeS, DS and DS2 are not great.

I stand for what i said. I just recently switched on Deamon's and combat is really easy. It isn't easy or got easier it is just that Souls games got harder and harder to point where i had to get better to progress.
Especially if you compare it to DS3 where enemies are ultra aggressive.

Problem here is that Deamon's had lack of bonfires to compensate for it. Newer game have bonfires everywhere so they also can crank up difficulty of monsters.

I hope from will release DS2 without touching archstone design. 1 archstone per chapter is enough really. Shortcuts made sense there.

They were around the same difficulty. The hardest dlc was the one that took place in the snowy region because it had the the kings pets, those invisible horses and more ganks. Other than that, I didn't feel like the dlc was harder than the rest of the game. Keep in mind I haven't played the dlc in like a year

It will be delighting to fight fume knight again to see if his difficulty is still there.

I am strictly speaking about damage alone. DLC mobs could dish out waaay more damage than vanilla game monsters and your weapons also didn't do as much damage unless you run some specific build focused on DPS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom