Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

sullynathan

Arcane
Is it as bad as Shrine of the Storms?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I would have gladly run through shrine of storms 5 times over instead of that crap. Finally got past it, once I figured out the gimmick and had a fair bit of luck.

praetor

Arcane

worse

and, btw, the optional boss is probably the biggest load of horseshit in the entire series. difficult for all the wrong reasons (shitty camera as usual with big creatures, enormous bloated health pool and plenty of ohko [or near enough] attacks...)

vmar

Savant
The lasers aren't bad, there's cover everywhere that you're supposed to use until you can kill the creatures that control the angels.

sullynathan

Arcane

worse

and, btw, the optional boss is probably the biggest load of horseshit in the entire series. difficult for all the wrong reasons (shitty camera as usual with big creatures, enormous bloated health pool and plenty of ohko [or near enough] attacks...)
Is the tracking, hit detection and collision worse?

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Ya'll are some pussies. I didn't think the laser angels were so bad. As with any difficult areas in Dark Souls, if all else fails, just run. It's shocking to me how much of this game becomes entirely trivial when you just cast hidden body and run through everything. Once you kill the angels you can come back for exploration.

Finding and killing the cocoon looking things permanently kills the angels.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah that doesn't work so well if you can't cast hidden body, and they're literally impossible to evade at close range. I had no idea where I needed to go so I died like 20 times trying to run right under them to get to where I thought I might need to be before I stumbled upon the correct path.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I'm not a huge fan of the series but reading some of these posts has tempted me to pick this up. Guess I could wait for some kind of release with all the DLC?

Sothpaw

Learned
Just finished the Ringed City. I wasn't a huge fan of the heat seeking laser angels. Other than that, was a solid DLC. I really enjoyed the first and final bosses, especially the final boss. He is fairly challenging but never cheap. The "secret" boss was pretty challenging as well, but wasn't nearly as fun to fight as the Slave Knight.

I'm not a huge fan of the series but reading some of these posts has tempted me to pick this up. Guess I could wait for some kind of release with all the DLC?

Dark Souls 1 is the best in the series as far as I'm (and I'm guessing most people) concerned. If you're set on DS3 then I guess they might release a "final" version with all the DLC eventually. Might be a while.

Edit: nm the goty version comes next month.

Last edited:

Sothpaw

Learned
I have the impression DS3 DLCs are the shortest in the series. How long is this new one?

This one seemed longer than the first DS3 dlc to me. There are 4 bosses and some pretty nice new weapons. Can't say I have any complaints on the length.

vmar

Savant
This one did feel longer than AoA but I took my sweet time, admiring the scenery and stuff since it's the last souls content we're gonna get (maybe)

Arnust

Savant
Midir is driving me up the walls.

NG+, Pure STR tank. Fuck. Me. Ironically, a Millwood GB plus Hawk Ring are very handy, but you can't either stun it or tank anything. So a full SMough is the exact same as a loincloth. Fuck you, FROM.

Ivan

Arcane
playing both DLCs for the first time. Ashes of Ariendel has some very sweet level design. Not a fan of its Wolf boss, nor it's Bloodborne-like crow ninjas. At Freide now, holy shit she's though.

Arnust

Savant
Aaand I switched to the Splitleaf Greatsword (actually a Halberd), scaled on S at Heavy +10 and is great. Did it first go without any prior knowledge of Halberds/Glaives.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
playing both DLCs for the first time. Ashes of Ariendel has some very sweet level design. Not a fan of its Wolf boss, nor it's Bloodborne-like crow ninjas. At Freide now, holy shit she's though.

Same for me, and I already regret it. Don't know what you're playing, but what I've gone through is an awful series of open fields full of boring wolves and hollows. And the only area which had any level design at all (Corvid Settlement) was full of completely harmless enemies seemingly only placed there to annoy the player. I wonder what people who complained about mobs in DS2 thought about this shit, probably had an aneurysm going through the infinite wolf field.

Friede would be a great boss if you didn't have to redo phases 1 and 2, and phase 3 had double the health. As is, phase 1 is boring, phase 2 is annoying as fuck, and then phase 3 is fun, but dies really quickly and is hard to enjoy because dying means redoing 1 and 2.

Overall, this is easily the worst Souls DLC. Will see if Ringed City manages to be even worse, but thus far, my dislike for DS3 in general is reinforced. I thought that giving it a year to cooldown from release butthurt would make me look upon the game more favorably, but if anything, I enjoy it even less after Bloodborne and Nioh. Meh.

bataille

Arcane
I wonder if the developers wanted players to think that the heap was indeed the ringed city (as in converging and bending into the shape), or was it just me who was confused until some items and remarks shed light on what the ringed city is.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

Same for me, and I already regret it. Don't know what you're playing, but what I've gone through is an awful series of open fields full of boring wolves and hollows. And the only area which had any level design at all (Corvid Settlement) was full of completely harmless enemies seemingly only placed there to annoy the player. I wonder what people who complained about mobs in DS2 thought about this shit, probably had an aneurysm going through the infinite wolf field.

Friede would be a great boss if you didn't have to redo phases 1 and 2, and phase 3 had double the health. As is, phase 1 is boring, phase 2 is annoying as fuck, and then phase 3 is fun, but dies really quickly and is hard to enjoy because dying means redoing 1 and 2.

Overall, this is easily the worst Souls DLC. Will see if Ringed City manages to be even worse, but thus far, my dislike for DS3 in general is reinforced. I thought that giving it a year to cooldown from release butthurt would make me look upon the game more favorably, but if anything, I enjoy it even less after Bloodborne and Nioh. Meh.

I think it's level design is good in the sense of being "pretty to look at," but not so good in the sense that it "rewards exploration." There's really not much to do or discover apart from the bosses. There's one very short optional route, but apart from that all of the DLC's main items will be strewn along the main route and very hard to miss. I'd still recommend people get the DLC as Friede is one of my favorite bosses in the series, just be forewarned that you are basically just paying for 1 average boss, one awesome boss, and some beautiful vistas.

Luckily, it's incredibly easy to just rush through the less than interesting areas to get to the good stuff. I've never timed it, but if you know where to go you could probably beat the whole thing in like 20 minutes, with 8 of those minutes being Friede. I've beaten it 3 times now and I doubt my 2nd and 3rd runs took me much longer than that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom