Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Grimlorn

Arcane
Eh, yes, but at least I could reliably beat the first phase after a few tries. The second one on the other hand....

I lost the motivation after the 4th attempt. I know his move set but even with a +10 sharp Astora GS at 50 Dex it feels like it takes forever to kill him.
Yeah I'm not sure it's as useful using bigger weapons in this game. With long sword you can get in 2 swings in the time it takes to swing a UGS once. You'll also do about the same damage or more than a UGS in 2 swings against a boss. Sometimes you can even get in 3 swings with a long sword and roll out of the way before a boss hits.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Perhaps not the most efficient and/or easy thing to do. But I simply can't imagine playing a DS title without a huge UGS (although BKGA will do as well).
The impact is soo satisfying. And it looks so badass.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
None of my go to weapons worked on Nameless King. Bandit's knife? Forget it. Once I pulled out Gordy's Great Hammer, I started ripping out huge chunks of his HP though. While timing the slow hammer is hard, just four or so consecutive hits can stagger him. It's very satisfying to do the visceral attack on him after.

Silva

Arcane
Lore-wise, how is Ringed City? Does it wraps up DS3 nicely? I confess I'm playing more to see it's atmosphere/lore/world design than the actual gameplay per se.

Hyperion

Arcane
Haven't played it yet, and not sure I intend to, but to my knowledge it pretty much wraps up the entire series.

sullynathan

Arcane
sully looks at videos of people beating bosses before he fights the bosses himself.
this is partly true. I didn't play the souls games until much later so I was bombarded with videos on the souls games on YouTube. I did play Dark Souls 3 2 weeks after it released so I didn't have to look at videos to beat the bosses, by the end of the game you should have more than enough tools and skill to beat Soul of cinder.

Last edited:

Seaking4

Learned
Finally got around to buying and playing this. Kind of have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, there are parts of it that I thought were amazing. Some levels and bosses (particularly Champion Gundyr) were very well designed and fun to play but at the same time it's hard to shake the feelings that significant portions of this game were just Dark Souls 1 rehashes. Anor Londo v2.0 being the worst offender. However, I did think Gwyn's theme appearing during the last boss fight was kind of cool. So at least that reappearance felt appropriate.

Some random thoughts:
That ending with the Firekeeper asking if you can hear her voice is haunting. That was really cool.
Kind of funny that lots of people complained about the lack of an interconnected world in DS2 + gank squads (only one of those complains being valid by the way) but then DS3 ended up being much closer to DS2 than DS1 in both those respects.
Pontiff Sullyvahn legitimately seemed like the hardest boss I had ever fought until I realized you can just block all his attacks as he barely drains stamina. I think he is the only boss in any Dark Souls game where the optimal way to fight him is to block rather than to roll.
Champion Gundyr is awesome. The moveset seems designed to really just mess with the regular way people play the game.
Puzzle bosses really aren't this series' specialty. Some of them are decent. The best being Executioner's Chariot from DS2 but some of them are just downright dumb. Nothing was nearly as bad as Bed of Chaos in terms of boredom but they really aren't as fun or challenging as regular boss fights either. I guess the serve to break up the monotony of the game though.

At the end of the day, it was a Dark Souls game: fun and challenging combat, well designed levels, dumb as shit NPC questlines, etc. I just wish they didn't live in the past as much. I'll probably buy the DLC and really get into the PvP. Although I've already re-installed Dark Souls so I'll give that one another run (up until the lordvessel of course).

Final thought is that Dark Souls 2 DLC is still the undisputed champion of the Dark Souls series (never been knocked down, never been knocked out ... ).

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
Lore-wise, how is Ringed City? Does it wraps up DS3 nicely? I confess I'm playing more to see it's atmosphere/lore/world design than the actual gameplay per se.
Sort of wraps it up, but it's unsatisfying imo. The lore is garbage imo. The reason everything is so vague is so they don't have to commit to writing a coherent story or plot. There's nothing those lore idiots on Youtube can make up in speculation to save this mess. You're left with even more questions than you are at the end of Dark Souls 1 or 2. Hell the Ringed City DLC seems to imply nothing you do at the end of the regular game matters in the end.

Miyazaki planned the lore for 1 game, and it is really good in Dark Souls 1. The rest is a convoluted and rehashed mess, as are Dark Souls 2 and 3 as games overall.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You know, I like the series, but I do pretty much agree. They had run out of ideas after Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. The story has been the same thing over and over and over and over again. I am tired of hearing about the same cycle. It didn't even change in the DLC for 3. That's hardly 'closure'. I didn't need closure, but I also didn't want to deal with the same topic over and over again.

Now, Demon's Souls 2? I'd be very much on board. Sadly that is almost impossible unless they do some wizardry with the rights, but I would not ever hold my breath.

That's because Demon's and Dark Souls are artistic games, they came from the same mind. Dark Souls 2 and 3 is Bandai Namco milking the franchise, the results are not surprising at all.

Arnust

Savant
No and no. If you play Souls for the story (NOT Lore), I don't know how ou even trudged through DS3 in the first place.

DS2, with a year more of development of so, would have been a PERFECT ending to the series. But no, Miyazaki fucking wanted the climatic fights with Guts in a hill.

Black Angel

Arcane
DS2, with a year more of development of so, would have been a PERFECT ending to the series. But no, Miyazaki fucking wanted the climatic fights with Guts in a hill.
I'm not sure what to infer from this. Are you trying to say DS2: Scholar of the First Sin wasn't enough of an extra year of development they had and they should work another extra year on it instead of Dark Souls 3?

I only have Soul of Cinder bossfight left now in the base game, currently wrapping up Ashes of Ariandel and still had an entire Ringed City for my first playthrough, but Dark Souls 3 base game offered a LOT of better continuity to Dark Souls 1 in terms of lore AND story than Dark Souls 2. Even with SotFS, Dark Souls 2 was a fucking mess of clusterfuck and offered very little in lore and story as a sequel to Dark Souls 1. I've to admit, the Crown Trilogy DLC as its own story are very, VERY interesting for me and I REALLY love the lore of 4 powerful Kings worthy to sit the Throne of Want seduced by 4 Child of Dark. But they're just that; a side story, and they're DLCs. They're just like Artorias of the Abyss in regards of offering new perspectives but they are absolutely mandatory to enjoy the entirety of Dark Souls 2; kinda like Broken Steel for Fallout 3.

Of course, Dark Souls 3 is also guilty of a crime of making it seems like Dark Souls 1 never happened at all per the description of Ornstein's set found in Archdragon Peak. But the lore of Lords of Cinder + the Unkindled Ashen Ones are a lot better than Bearer of the Curse who seek the Fire and coveted the Throne (also how the hell did the First Flame turned into Throne of Want?)

Last edited:

Seaking4

Learned
Well ya Dark Souls 3 offered better continuity from Dark Souls 1 because half of the game is just rehashed from the first one. Dark Souls 2 continued the story (and the whole cyclical nature of it) but at least provided its own perspective/twist on it. Anyways, nobody should be deciding their favourite Dark Souls game by using lore/story.

Last edited:

Arnust

Savant
DS3 lore and story are a load of bollocks. There's no theme, there's no character arcs, there's no message, and it's not even open, just unexplained. It doesn't make me feel or think, it just makes me angry how this game, literally, offers NO closure. 0, nada, zilch zip. "But you have the painter girl and the painting" oh yeah, I should care more for two random NPCs that had no buildup at all and have two minutes of spoken dialogue coupled together. I'd much rather have had Aldia plop off the ground and drop an hour long speech, wouldn't mind.

What answers did we get? Cycles? That hollows have a kickass place... somewhere? That Solaire is now either soup or a giant worm? That the Firstborn is... that guy? That people from Catarina with a name starting by Sieg- might be clones of each other?
Really, tell, what was... the point? What does this add to the story that these games actually used to have?

Oh, now I remember. This forgives everything.
TEH DARK SOUL OF MAN

Did you really want that continuity, Black Angel? What for? This was as much continuity as turning up the volume in a movie, and changing the preset to make it look more saturated.

I'm not sure what to infer from this. Are you trying to say DS2: Scholar of the First Sin wasn't enough of an extra year of development they had and they should work another extra year on it instead of Dark Souls 3?
Dark Souls 2 was rushed to the Old-gen consoles, PS3 and X360 to bank off them before they became "old". Added to the project being scrapped in a major way at least once, and having shortcomings-a-plenty because of the "Team A" being busy with Bloodborne. This game could have been a Sonic 2006, I don't see many people realize that.

Much like good games rushed away from the "fucking glorious" rating, like NV for one, you find traces of "the game that could have been" everywhere. You know how there's almost a visual division between areas like Heide and the Aerie versus The Bastille or Shaded Ruins? You know how most bonfires are in square plain rooms but you have the Cardinal Tower bonfire? A game that looked like the Aerie or Heide, or even Amana, all the way through, would have been incredible. Add shit from their design documents, like time travel, open world, horses, whatever the fuck.

Now, if THIS was Dark Souls 3, meaning, that it would have been released after BB, and only had the full effort of From Soft, like DeS and DS1 had, but with all their new possibilties, I believe that they could have ended it here. It is speculation territory, but that would have been the ideal situation to wrap this up.

On DS2's story, I don't know how to put it. Like, I'd say that you're wrong and not giving as much credit as the others'. But how much a game makes you care about it, that's on itself. If you call a mess not being 50% speculation for the fans to fill and a storm of fanservice and inhouse references, I sure love messes. More tamely, being a sequel to the story instead of a remix.

If you want to discuss lore, story and narrative as a fair assesment, here I am. But DS3's will be white noise for me unless someone can show me that it's not, without "but"s.

Ending the whole franchise fighting some random dude you literally never heard about on a plain, TWICE feels like a fuck you to me.

Hyperion

Arcane
"But you have the painter girl and the painting"

...That popped into my head while lifting one day (God, I'm a faggot) and I was thinking they don't give you her name for a reason. Feels really obvious because they want the connection there, and for the story to end.

DS1 Priscilla Dialogue:

"Thou must returneth whence thou came.
This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind, but thou dost not belong.
I beg of thee, plunge down from the plank, and hurry home."​
Now the Painting Girl throughout the 2 DLC's:

"Thou'rt Ash.
Thou'st a pact made with uncle Gael.
So I wish to tell thee all.
Behold its size. This is my canvas.
It's to be a cold, dark, and very gentle place.
...But first, I must see flame.
I wish to paint a picture.
Of a cold, dark, and very gentle place.
One day, it will make someone a goodly home.
That's why I must see flame."

"Those who aren't ken to fire cannot paint a world.
Those absorbed by fire, must not paint a world.
Don't worry, I haven't forgotten, Mother...
I can hear the fire crackle...
And soon, I will see it...
My thanks, Ashen One.
I will finish the painting.
So that it might make a home for someone, someday."

"My thanks, Ashen One.
With this will I paint a world. Please tell me thy name.
I would name this painting after thee.
My thanks. I will paint a world of that name.
Twill be a cold, dark, and very gentle place.
And one day, it will make someone a goodly home.

I see. We are much alike.

Then I will name this painting "Ash."

"I wonder when Uncle Gael intends his return.
I hope the new painting will be to him a gentle home.
My thanks, Ashen One.
I will assuredly finish the painting.
"
How many times does this girl need to repeat herself that it's cold, dark, and gentle? Miyazaki was obsessed with the Painted World of Ariamis from Day 1, it's not even close to a surprise he had to end with it as well. Not sure if he was going for a "LOL, THE DARK SOULS WAS RIGHT UNDER YOUR NOSE THE ENTIRE TIME NERDS," angle or what, though.

Edit: Spoiler tags because some people haven't played The Ringed City yet. Wouldn't be fair.

Silva

Arcane
I've found Dark Souls 3 a VERY interesting continuation of Dark Souls 1, lore-wise. One thing I really like is this symbolic/mythical logic it goes with and don't try to explain or make sense of everything from a physical standpoint. I see people complaining about the geography and how could the cathacombs be under Farrow swamp or whatever. That's irrelevant because "when the fire fades reality gets murky and the lands of lords converge at Lothric". This line throws a big FUCK YOU at those nitpicky faggots who search for continuity errors everywhere (my wife whe we watch movies), and focus the lens to what matters, it's themes.

The idea of burning 5 great lords at their thrones as a reenactment of the original 5 lords souls, the way reality acknowledges this and recreates the original plateau where Lordran was (overlooking firelink shrine), how the lands that were thematically important to these 5 lords converge around Lordran/Lothric, and how the NPCs questlines and lore intertwine with all this, is kickass. Who came up with this deserves the nobel of videogames worldbuilding.

Another thing is how each boss and NPC is given a nuanced treatment, with no easy answer to their dilemas. Even Pontiff Sullyvahn, which arguably is the bad guy of the story, has his reasons and is far from the kind of cardboard villains we see around. Even the central conlict of humans vs gods has no clear good or bad side. It makes that Nashandra and Throne of Want Bullshit of Dark Souls 2 sound childish in comparison.

...which leads to my only nitpick: the Dark Souls 2 references, which gives a certain inconsistence and confusion to the overall lore. They should have ignored DS2 as a whole, but I understand the embarassment this would cause at the office.

Anyway, I still didnt get to Ringed City and it could change everything. But so far Dark Souls 3 is a tremendous continuation to Dark Souls 1. It almost relegate DS1 to a "part1" and itself to "part2" of a single continuous "Dark Souls" story that emcompass both games, if it makes any sense.

*edit: I still find it has subpar gameplay, level design, environments, etc as a Soulsborne game. But I can't deny the lore is good. Very good.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
DS3 lore and story are a load of bollocks. There's no theme, there's no character arcs, there's no message, and it's not even open, just unexplained. It doesn't make me feel or think, it just makes me angry how this game, literally, offers NO closure. 0, nada, zilch zip. "But you have the painter girl and the painting" oh yeah, I should care more for two random NPCs that had no buildup at all and have two minutes of spoken dialogue coupled together. I'd much rather have had Aldia plop off the ground and drop an hour long speech, wouldn't mind.
The theme is pretty clear. A world dying because _____, the empty bracket is left like that intentionally because that's always has been how Fromsoft made Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1, you as the player fill in the blank. Was the world dying because of the Fire is fading once more and it needs a new Lord of Cinder? Or was the world dying because of repeated unnatural prolonging of the Age of Fire?

The message was pretty clear, too. In fact, they spout it out to your face in form of Ludleth's dialogue when you find the Eyes of the Firekeeper and you gave it to her: That you should choose your own fate, even if it means betraying the glory of the Flame. Whether is it open or not, explained or not, that's remains to be seen by me because, like I said, I haven't finish my first playthrough.

What answers did we get? Cycles?
You think Dark Souls 2 is better in that regard? What does cycles really implies, in the world of Dark Souls? That after the first Age of Fire, there will be an Age of Dark, followed by another Age of Fire, and then another Age of Dark, and so on and so on? Or was it that when Gwyn linked the First Flame, did he started a cycle of Fire unnaturally prolonged, followed by a period of the Flame fading, before it was (unnaturally) restored by a successor who becomes a new Lord of Cinder, and then it starts to fade again?

Again, I'll ask this question, how the hell did the First Flame became Throne of Want? What does a new Sovereign would do when they sit upon that throne? Would they link the fire, or would they just let it be? What was the significance of sitting upon the throne? If you sit upon that throne and do nothing, wouldn't that bring about the Age of Dark? If so, then just leaving the throne altogether would suffice, no? What is the importance of the Throne then? Is it even actual cycles at all if repeated successors decided to link the fire or do nothing? Is that a better continuity to Dark Souls 1 to you, Arnust?

That hollows have a kickass place... somewhere?
You talking about Londor? I don't see anywhere it's implied that it's kickass.

That Solaire is now either soup or a giant worm?
?????

That the Firstborn is... that guy?
What's wrong with that? The only thing I hate about him is how Ornstein seemingly meet with this guy, totally ruined Dark Souls 1 and implying the whole Chosen Undead's adventure somewhat non-canon, but 'that guy' being the Firstborn, what's wrong with that?

That people from Catarina with a name starting by Sieg- might be clones of each other?
Clones- or direct descendant of Siegmeyer? Remember that advancing Siegmeyer-Sieglind questline resulted in Sieglind putting down his father to rest. We don't know what happened to her after that, most likely she managed to get out of Lordran and returned to Catarina, married the love of her life and had child and grandchild and great-grandchild and so on and so on....

Dark Souls 2 was rushed to the Old-gen consoles, PS3 and X360 to bank off them before they became "old". Added to the project being scrapped in a major way at least once, and having shortcomings-a-plenty because of the "Team A" being busy with Bloodborne. This game could have been a Sonic 2006, I don't see many people realize that.

Much like good games rushed away from the "fucking glorious" rating, like NV for one, you find traces of "the game that could have been" everywhere. You know how there's almost a visual division between areas like Heide and the Aerie versus The Bastille or Shaded Ruins? You know how most bonfires are in square plain rooms but you have the Cardinal Tower bonfire? A game that looked like the Aerie or Heide, or even Amana, all the way through, would have been incredible. Add shit from their design documents, like time travel, open world, horses, whatever the fuck.

Now, if THIS was Dark Souls 3, meaning, that it would have been released after BB, and only had the full effort of From Soft, like DeS and DS1 had, but with all their new possibilties, I believe that they could have ended it here. It is speculation territory, but that would have been the ideal situation to wrap this up.
Now that's a better way to put it. However, I still can't accept that you literally had to pay twice the price to get another ending. It's literally worse than Broken Steel.

On DS2's story, I don't know how to put it. Like, I'd say that you're wrong and not giving as much credit as the others'. But how much a game makes you care about it, that's on itself. If you call a mess not being 50% speculation for the fans to fill and a storm of fanservice and inhouse references, I sure love messes. More tamely, being a sequel to the story instead of a remix.
Dark Souls 3 is a remix, you say? Did you forgot that the first half of Dark Souls 2 is a literal second half of Dark Souls 1 where you have to gather 4 great souls to progress your journey, with these 4 great souls literally this game's version of the 4 Lord Souls of Dark Souls 1? Even Sweet Shalquoir made a blatant references in her dialogue, minus Nito (even then, the Rotten is still this game's version of Nito, while Nito was a mass of bones and skeletons, the Rotten is a mass of flesh and bodies) and where you once fought the Four Kings of New Londo, you now have to claim the soul of Gwyn in form of Old Iron King. Oh, not to mention that this all leads to 'a sequel to the story' where, in said sequel, you gain those 4 great souls to open the door to Shrine of Winter, because, apparently, a lousy pile of rubble is so strong no amount of billions or trillions of souls would suffice to bypass those pile of rubble. On top of that, this Shrine of Winter is just a little bit to the left of the initial path that's blocked by that pile of rubble.

To be perfectly fair, Arnust, when I say Dark Souls 3 is a better sequel to Dark Souls 1 than Dark Souls 2, I forgot to mention that in terms of world design, DS3 is better than DS2's base game. Logical, looping and interconnected world is a huge part of Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 3 have that; to a lesser degree than Dark Souls 1 (because of teleportation and Firelink Shrine's location) but still better than what Dark Souls 2 has to offer.

However, I agree with Socur Toxanarosa here. The story can be anything, but the lore has always meant to be Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 1 alone. I remember there was a past interview where it was said that Fromsoft wasn't actually too keen in the idea of making sequels, and it shows. Going from Demon's Souls, to Dark Souls 1, and to Bloodborne, it was one hell of a ride despite of the obvious streamlining. Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3, though, there will always be mistakes because they have to make it clear that it's a sequel, and then we will constantly compare it to its predecessor.

"But you have the painter girl and the painting"

...That popped into my head while lifting one day (God, I'm a faggot) and I was thinking they don't give you her name for a reason. Feels really obvious because they want the connection there, and for the story to end.

DS1 Priscilla Dialogue:

"Thou must returneth whence thou came.
This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind, but thou dost not belong.
I beg of thee, plunge down from the plank, and hurry home."​
Now the Painting Girl throughout the 2 DLC's:

"Thou'rt Ash.
Thou'st a pact made with uncle Gael.
So I wish to tell thee all.
Behold its size. This is my canvas.
It's to be a cold, dark, and very gentle place.
...But first, I must see flame.
I wish to paint a picture.
That's why I must see flame."

"Those who aren't ken to fire cannot paint a world.
Those absorbed by fire, must not paint a world.
Don't worry, I haven't forgotten, Mother...
I can hear the fire crackle...
And soon, I will see it...
My thanks, Ashen One.
I will finish the painting.
So that it might make a home for someone, someday."

"My thanks, Ashen One.
With this will I paint a world. Please tell me thy name.
I would name this painting after thee.
My thanks. I will paint a world of that name.

I see. We are much alike.

Then I will name this painting "Ash."

"I wonder when Uncle Gael intends his return.
I hope the new painting will be to him a gentle home.
My thanks, Ashen One.
I will assuredly finish the painting.
"
How many times does this girl need to repeat herself that it's cold, dark, and gentle? Miyazaki was obsessed with the Painted World of Ariamis from Day 1, it's not even close to a surprise he had to end with it as well. Not sure if he was going for a "LOL, THE DARK SOULS WAS RIGHT UNDER YOUR NOSE THE ENTIRE TIME NERDS," angle or what, though.

Edit: Spoiler tags because some people haven't played The Ringed City yet. Wouldn't be fair.
I've to admit, that was way too obvious. She doesn't even have to repeat those lines, seeing her painting and speaking that line for the first time my mind immediately made the conclusion. Then it makes me wonder how the fuck does that connect to Dark Souls 1, then? Was there some force as powerful as Manus who can literally impose some sort of time travel to the painting or something? Is the answer in the Ringed City?

I've found Dark Souls 3 a VERY interesting continuation of Dark Souls 1, lore-wise. One thing I really like is this symbolic/mythical logic it goes with and don't try to explain or make sense of everything from a physical standpoint. I see people complaining about the geography and how could the cathacombs be under Farrow swamp or whatever. That's irrelevant because "when the fire fades reality gets murky and the lands of lords converge at Lothric". This line throws a big FUCK YOU at those nitpicky faggots who search for continuity errors everywhere (my wife whe we watch movies), and focus the lens to what matters, it's themes.
Yeah, the lands converging was cool. They said it in the intro cinematic, we saw it when we reached the Kiln of the First Flame, and that Stone-Humped Hag in the Dreg Heap confirmed it. Even then, the overall layout of the world still makes sense, absolutely better than that fucking windmill elevator going up and you ended up in a volcano.

Having said all that,
Anyway, I still didnt get to Ringed City and it could change everything.
Seconded. I've just finished Ashes of Ariandel and now I have all of Ringed City left for my first playthrough. Let's see how will they ruin the lore and the story.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom