Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I killed Demon prince alone back in the day, in New game +. First phase it's actually very easy because they're scripted to 1 demon that attacks and the other just waits to get fully charged, then they swap. Second phase has some very dangerous attacks like the fireball storm. But in my own experience i don't remember it as very though boss fight. It's a perfectly viable boss fight as a solo player.

And about Siegward, he's actually better than both Siegmeyer and Sieglinde. At least he has a recognizable storyline and better story moments. Too bad that people only saw fanservice on him.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Imo DS3 was a good game, but it tried too hard to be like DS1. Too many items from previous games. Too many references and throwbacks. For example the dragon flying over you and burning the path. Or the gargoyles taking you to a different location. Or Siegward. Lame attempt at bringing back Siegmeyer. There's more but I don't feel like listing everything. Just make up your own stuff, don't try so hard to copy from 1. Too bad they didn't copy the amazing level layout though. Dark Souls 2 was more creative and fresh. It's clear they didn't really have many new ideas, and so I'm glad the series is finally over. The tone and the visuals were nice, as always. And there were some good designs.

However I also didn't like how every boss is a version of Artorias now. Sure, it was a cool fight. But what happened to gimmick bosses? In Ds1 and Demon Souls it wasn't just about dodging a 10-hit chain attack and countering with one hit, while the boss with infinite stamina starts another chain. Most bosses had a certain gimmick to them. It wasn't all about ''git gud'' twitch skills. Also a lot of people complained about combat in DS2, the insane tracking and long pressure from enemies. DS3 is even worse, and I don't see people complain about it. Probably because roll is godlike in this game and you can usually spam it with no remorse. There is also no adaptability stat.

Wow I'd literally second every single word. You're saying what I've been saying itt for the past year.

Are you.....me?

Wow, so drunk now.

Seaking4

Learned
I agree with lots of that post but the level design in 3 is actually really good. The game definitely deserves praise for its level design and how consistent the game is. Solid quality throughout.

And about Siegward, he's actually better than both Siegmeyer and Sieglinde. At least he has a recognizable storyline and better story moments. Too bad that people only saw fanservice on him.

Siegmeyer's ending in Ash Lake is still the best Dark Souls NPC moment and it isn't even close.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
omg cool gaymer girl

when will this fucking faggot trend end. Everyday i pray to God to open a giant purple wormhole that eats the gay half of earth and every day it doesnt happen. WHY???

Seaking4

Learned
Midir in NG+ isn't as much of a pain as I thought it would be. The only thing that you really have to watch out for is that crazy charge where he attacks like 10 times in a row.

Silva

Arcane
Seaking4 , what? Never heard of it. Siegward actually ends up in Ash Lake???

In most random news of the day, Grimes' new album is apparently inspired by DS3.

This is Grimes if you don't know her:

I was looking for this song the other day because it plays on NBA 2k17 and I can't stop hearing it. Nice to know she plays Dark Souls. :)

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Siegmeyer's ending in Ash Lake is still the best Dark Souls NPC moment and it isn't even close.

Exactly, in the Ash lake. That's what makes that moment so special, the scenario and the music. The death itself means nothing, because there's almost no story development in the Catarina sidequest. You can't even know the reason about why his daughter killed him without searching lore theories on the internet. As I said, Siegward has a recognizable story through his quest, ending at the fight against Yhorm. Siegmeyer's quest is probably one of the worst driven storylines in the franchise. Even some of his locations have no sense at all. You encounter him in the blighttown asking for posion healing items, then you encounter him again in lost izalith, and finally in the ash lake. What? The ash lake is the area almost behind his location in the blighttown, through the hollow tree, a more near area than izalith. Why the hell did you enconter him in a pool of posion in lost izalith first? Has no sense.

Sorry, your beloved onion knight is a bad character overcame by his own tribute in a later game.:M

Seaking4

Learned
So I've been doing lots of PVP and it made me realize (obviously late to the party) that half the covenants in this game are useless. There is so much overlap between them that you could remove half of them and nothing would change. I don't even know what the rosaria's fingers covenant does. You get the same rewards even if you aren't in the covenant.

Seaking4

Learned
Even Warriors of Sunlight are now an invasion covenant as well. At least mound makers have a sort of wild card element to them.

Blue Sentinels + Blades of the Darkmoon have to be the most redundant of them all. Why even bother having both? They even share the same rewards/items.

Speaking of the covenant rewards, you get them even if you aren't part of a covenant. If you kill a host while a Warrior of Sunlight is there, you get a sunlight medal. Why? Who the shit knows...

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Finished the game, including both DLC, the other day. Pretty meh feeling overall. I initially disliked Dark Souls 2 but 3 has made me appreciate how at least that game was quite different. Everything about 3 felt like a stitched together living corpse of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1, injected with a bunch of mismatching elements from Bloodborne. I guess being a lifeless, tired husk fits the theme of the game. A series that started out bright, fresh and energetic and we end with a tired old rehash trying to relive its past moments of glory. Time for FROM burn this series away and start something new.

Sentinel

Arcane
The only "difference" that Dark Souls 2 has compared to 1 and 3 is that it's complete shit.

- The movement was complete ass (locked to 4 directions in fact, something I hadn't seen since 2d contra),
- the combat was slow as fuck,
- adaptability shouldn't have been a stat
- the levels were mostly straight hallway with the exception of earthen peak, which was quite nice from a layout design standpoint
- levels had no decoration whatsoever
- because of this, environmental story telling, present in ds1, 3 and bloodborne, was gone
- 90% of the bosses aren't relevant at all to the story or lore of the game
- you got constantly faced with multiple strong enemies at the same time - in past games if there was a multiple enemy encounter there was usually a way to get past it easily, either kill a caster that's buffing it, draw the enemy to a more open area, or the multiple enemies were just weaker and a distraction from the main enemy in the group
- the lore is a complete rehash of dark souls 1 - you get a boss soul and it reads one of two things:
a) this boss soul belongs to something, but no one remembers what it was anymore because it was long long ago
b) 'member this lord boss from ds1? i member
- the story is boring at best, and I felt it completely ruined dark souls 3 because it reinforced cycles so hard it basically became 100% canon and there was no way to escape it. I don't remember Dark Souls 1 ever hinting at cycles even.

Dark Souls 2 is just a fucking mess. Its only pro is equipment variety. From a design stand point, the entire game is a fundamental misunderstanding of the concept of "challenge" that Miyazaki talked about in Dark Souls 1 interviews. They mistook challenge for difficulty. Miyazaki's Souls games have you explore and use the environment to get past situations. Dark Souls 2 has you bruteforce your way through the narrow linear environment to get past situations. If you actually try to deny this, all you have to do is watch the Dark Souls 2 intro - the entire thing is "lol you'll die over and over and over again!"

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
- the lore is a complete rehash of dark souls 1 - you get a boss soul and it reads one of two things:
a) this boss soul belongs to something, but no one remembers what it was anymore because it was long long ago
- the story is boring at best, and I felt it completely ruined dark souls 3 because it reinforced cycles so hard it basically became 100% canon and there was no way to escape it. I don't remember Dark Souls 1 ever hinting at cycles even.

- Someone has comprehension problems.

Dark Souls 2 goes out of it's way to mock the first game's story and lore, let alone it being a rehash.
Have you even listened to Aldia when he spoke?

It's your beloved piece of shit DS3 that is purely rehash and fan service.

b)remember gwyn? the final boss is almost identical, wow
remember dark sun gwyndolin and nito? aldrich has gwyndolin's crown and nito's weapon!
remember the storm ruler from demon's souls? its literally in 3 with the exact same name! wow

Sentinel

Arcane

- Someone has comprehension problems.

Dark Souls 2 goes out of it's way to mock the first game's story and lore, let alone it being a rehash.
Have you even listened to Aldia when he spoke?

It's your beloved piece of shit DS3 that is purely rehash and fan service.

b)remember gwyn? the final boss is almost identical, wow
remember dark sun gwyndolin and nito? aldrich has gwyndolin's crown and nito's weapon!
remember the storm ruler from demon's souls? its literally in 3 with the exact same name! wow
First - Story and lore are different, you fucking moron.
Second - how does Dark Souls 3 rehash dark souls 1? The game advances the first game's plot, and you just gave yourself some examples of it: it kills off characters from DS1 - namely Gwyndolin, Quelana and the Fair Lady - to start with.
It sets up the setting for the game by telling you what is happening, and what happened before the game started, just like dark souls 1 - the flame is fading and all the lands are converging at the end of the world.
It introduces new characters that have their own arc, some of them (like Siegward) are the complete opposite of Dark Souls 1's version of the character quest.
It gives sequence to characters that were previously left hanging:
1 - Gwynevere and her entire new family. Admittedly, Gwynevere's fate is never revealed, but we still got to know more from her
2 - Gwyn's First Born. You meet the man yourself, you know what happened to him, you know why he was banned.
3 - Kaathe/Frampt. You learn that they are not an exclusive phenomenon to Lordran, and had a role to play in the fall of Lothric and the Angelic Faith that formed. Again, we never find out what they or their motivations were, but that's kind of like asking for the identity of G-Man. I don't think any answer would satisfy.
All the bosses in the game are lore and story relevant characters, some extremely important that help you understand the big "twist" of the game - like Iudex/Champion Gundyr and the Untended Graves/Firelink Shrine/Ludleth of Courland and its relationship with the rest of the world.

As to your point about the Storm Ruler, I guess Dark Souls 1 is a complete rehash as well since it reuses the Moonlight Greatsword, Patches, Crestfallen Warrior, Ostrava, Acolyte of God, among other ideas.

Seems like the criteria for labelling a game as a rehash around here is "Does the sequel have the same characters? If yes, it's a rehash."

Newsflash - sequels usually have the same characters as the prequels.

Having said that, Dark Souls 2 and 3 should never have been made, and Dark Souls 1 never needed any sequel, just like Demon's Souls and Bloodborne don't need any sequel. But it was part of the contract, and as a conclusion, with the exception of Primordial Serpents and Velka, I think the Ringed City served perfectly well, with the final boss fight being almost poetic in the way it has 2 absolute nobodies fighting at the end of the world. It's a shame however that it did not implement a new ending.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Wut? I know he looks nearly exactly the same as Gwyndolin, but having Nito's weapon?
Aldrich_Passive_Shot.jpg

I don't see it. If anything, he does have those mass of skulls as parts of his body, so he kind of a mish-mash between Gwyndolin and Nito.

Also, Dark Souls 2 is also guilty of rehashing Dark Souls 1. Remember the Old Ones? They're literally possessors of the Lord Souls from DkS1. Hell, they get referenced like 3 times:
  1. Their presentation gave away what they're a reference of, with probably the exception of Old Iron King. Whether it's appearance (The Rotten is literally Nito, but with mass of flesh/corpses), the place where you find/fight them (The Brightstone Cove is just the Crystal Cave), or even literally brought back the Chaos Bug for the Lost Sinner.
  2. Shalquoir's dialogue. Seriously, she literally referenced Gwyn, Witch of Izalith, and Seath. Only her dialogue about the Rotten that's seems vague when you try to connect that dialogue to Nito.
  3. NG+ literally drop the Lord Souls from respective Old Ones.
Mind you, I'm not defending Dark Souls 3's rehashing and pandering. Dark Souls 2's later half was original, and the DLCs are worthy addition to the series. But I don't understand all the criticism saying Dark Souls 3 is rehashing Dark Souls 1, that Dark Souls 2 was at least 'original' when Dark Souls 2 did the same and did it in much more obvious fashion, rehashing the second half of its predecessor as its first half.

I also stand by my initial opinion, that 3 is the better continuity to 1 than 2. 2 always feels like it could have get rid all the references to 1, just drop the entire 'linking the fire' premise and focus on 'worthy monarch fits to sit upon the throne' instead. At the very least, 3 included the most important piece of the Dark Souls mythology: Lords of Cinder. Aside from Aldrich partially appearing like Nito, the rest of the Lords of Cinder are not references to the possessors of the Lord Souls. Hell, not to mention it doesn't have just 2, but 4(!) endings. Meanwhile, Dark Souls 2 takes a year to get that second ending option available. Although, unfortunately, the path to those 4 endings are absolutely linear with not much option on how to get to them.

Soul of Cinder bossfight also reminded me of some old interview with Fromsoft (need to find the citation for this). I remembered they planned Gwyn's bossfight in 1 to be a final fight where literally any kind of build can face him. Instead, we have that parry-riposte fest. Soul of Cinder felt like they've managed to achieve that old goal, but only for the first half of the fight, though. I don't understand why do they have to literally bring back Gwyn for that second half.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
Pretty sure he meant the blade of Aldrich's scythe is the Gravelord Blade, minus the Toxin quality. It's not the true Lifehunt Scythe, which is why it only exists as a miracle. The description of the Miracle indicates he never found / devoured her. I assume he wanted the Lifehunt Scythe to destroy some Gods.

Edit: By Soul of Cinder you mean Gehrman, right?

Black Angel

Arcane
who cares if he's like Gwyn?
Anybody who doesn't want rehashed bossfights care. Actually, scrap that. I forgot you're that guy who preferred roll-R1 spams bossfights.

Pretty sure he meant the blade of Aldrich's scythe is the Gravelord Blade, minus the Toxin quality. It's not the true Lifehunt Scythe, which is why it only exists as a miracle. The description of the Miracle indicates he never found / devoured her. I assume he wanted the Lifehunt Scythe to destroy some Gods.
Oh. Well, the Gravelord Sword and the Lifehunt Scythe is two different things completely unrelated to one another. The former is wielded by, you guess it, Gravelord Nito, while the latter is wielded by Priscilla. Now that I think about it, it doesn't really make any sense why do we get Lifehunt Scythe miracle from transposing Aldrich's soul. Was it because he perceived Priscilla in his dream?

Sentinel

Arcane
Soul of cinder is the best final boss in the series, who cares if he's like Gwyn?
I didn't really like him. Even though, conceptually, it's cool and all - fighting all the people who linked the first flame from most recent to the very first guy, Gwyn himself - the fight just lacked something. Maybe it was the aftermath that kind of ruined it since it's so anti climatic. It's funny because the entire thing just screams Miyazaki going "I really don't know how to give conclusion to this".

Gehrman was probably my favourite final boss though. That 10/10 OST and the way he walks with a limp towards you, and only uses his hunter scythe and nothing else, no bullshit. Just a straight 1v1 fight. I really liked it. The arena reminded me of MGS3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom