Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Arnust

Savant
Hell, he didn't even play through SOTFS meticulously reading and listening to the *lore* like he used to do the others. More reason to be an average streamer.

Well Twitch is a terrible place for games like DS where paying careful attention to everything around you is crusial. Especially if you're going through something for the first time. The gaychat is such a distraction. Streaming is for games like Dota, CoD or Hearthstone, not for deep, atmospheric RPGs.
Yeah. But then you can also focus in the gameplay itself or doing something interesting. Like LobosJR does with his. You can even learn new things from those. And to have the streamer be the point, he had his broher go in them blind as well. They are interesting and fun, I find. Not like I watch every single one, but some of the classics I've sure watched.

Or, hey, THE MAIN THING about streams that can make a DS one interesting. Playing with the viewers, which is what people like Otzdarva do, even with some more than just invasion fests, like the Lothric Olympics streams lol.

Arnust

Savant
Hey, I think it's an original thing too. It is definitively one of the best in the game and that helps.

On that, which do y'all think is the "ideal" or even canon order for the LOC?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Or, hey, THE MAIN THING about streams that can make a DS one interesting. Playing with the viewers, which is what people like Otzdarva do, even with some more than just invasion fests, like the Lothric Olympics streams lol.

For sure. If you have gone through the game and now you just want to fool around with viewers and shit it's fun. But again, not when you're going through the content for the first time.

Black Angel

Arcane
ENB wasn't bad or great. He's just an average streamer. That's all. If you like watching someone talk out of his ass to fill the commentary quota for a whole playthrough, so be it. He's not remarkable, though. Nobody has to tell you *WHY* you think DS2 is bad, not up to standards, shit, or whatever. You play it and you decide. Hell, he didn't even play through SOTFS meticulously reading and listening to the *lore* like he used to do the others. More reason to be an average streamer.
He participated in making the official guide to vanilla Dark Souls 2 guide, for fucking sake. He made that fucking video about why 'people' hate the game because he had enough of people bothering him about it. And the reason he doesn't play SOTFS like he did Dark Souls 1 is because, like he told you over and over again, is because he doesn't like it as much as Dark Souls 1. Is that too hard to understand? Besides, if you actually paid attention to how he actually play while streaming Twitch at the same time instead of just focusing on the fact he doesn't love the game as much as you do, you would have noticed he actually discussed the lore, the story, the NPCs, the environment and the everything else with the streamers, and he actually begin later videos with discussing Youtube comments on previous videos. It's not as good as his mix of LP-commentary like he did like with From the Dark LP, but good enough for a game he doesn't love as much.

I know you're an edgy Dark Souls 2 fanboy, Arnust, but jeez not THIS edgy.

sullynathan

Arcane
first time I agree with Urbanolo. DS3 has the best bosses in this series.
Humanoid with delayed attacks and combos 1, humanoid with delayed attacks and combos 2, humanoid with delayed attacks and combos 3...repeat ad nauseam. And MOTHERFUCKING WOLNIR!!
There's nothing wrong with that

He also rage quit the Tower Knight fight in Demon's Souls because he was too stupid to hit the head after knocking him down. After trying and failing to damage 3 of 4 targets you can lock on, to boot. With the experience of literally every other Souls game under his belt. Oh, and he cried because he took damage when a 150 foot tall full plate clad behemoth fell on him.
This isn't actually true. I beat the Tower Knight the first try with magic, I actually complained because of how easy it was to snipe his head with early spells. I know you're trying to make a point here, but don't lie on me

Then we have the tower knight. I found his strategy easy at first because I just recently beat bloodborne and the archers that surround him reminded me of the one reborn. The actual boss fight though was pretty weird and really easy to cheese. The first time I tried attacking his legs but my weapon does fuck all damage and his shield has this really large AOE attack. When I did knock him down, I didn't know where to hit that would do lots of damage so I attacked the body, eventually he got up and just spammed me and killed me while I was down. Bullshit.

I tried it again but this time I stayed at the top, again, I found this soul magic was really OP. It did 118 damage per hit on his dead and easily killed him. Now I am barred from progressing until I beat an archdemon, wonder when I'll do that.

It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

Hyperion said:
I'm pretty sure he was the one whining about the Tower Knight being too obscure a mechanic a few pages back.

sullynathan said:
I was probably whining because this fucker fell on me even after I dodged his attack. iirc, I killed him with magic to the head the first time because the game was too unbalanced.

It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

I know you're trying to make a point here, but don't lie on me

You're so full of shit you should be wiping your forehead instead of your ass, numbnuts. It's OK to fucking suck at games, but at least be honest about it.
I complained about a boss hitting me with shit hit detection and rng now means I suck?

I said he spammed me because he kept slamming his stupid shield regardless of how far I was from him

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
ENB was good until his chink wife cucked him and it made him too depressed to put effort into videos, so he just started doing shitty unwatchable Twitch streams.
1480263673246.png

Arnust

Savant
I know you're an edgy Dark Souls 2 fanboy, Arnust, but jeez not THIS edgy.
Dude, I'm just saying that there isn't much note worthy on his stream, thus I can find the same thing about literally everywhere. I don't care that he's some kind of eminence when it doesn't affect the current content, or it hasn't since a loong time. Tell about who's a fanboy here.

And the video is the same thing literally everyone who bothered to play them and inform themselves know. Hell, as much as I dislike Matthewmatosis' "critique", that at least is comprehensive.

Last edited:

Arnust

Savant
Yawn the Giant
Hurr we like Skyrim
He's actually kind of fun if your dont use the Storm Ruler...
I found it alright, it WAS really damn "epic" mainly due to the boss theme, but they should have squeezed their heads a bit and make a more interesting gimmick boss rather than just throwing the DeS reference, putting some weak points, giving him a basic moveset and calling it a day. DS3's gimmick bosses kind of suck. Yet another thing they could have capitalized on and made something to top all their previous, but jus didn't bother.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I am seriously done with motherfucking knights in motherfucking castles.

And then game just throws ScreamsEffort first location in monochrome.

So Gyndir has 3 attacks with his left hand. Two of them are actually blockable, while one (grab) isn't and almost kills you. Although, the elbow strike is KO anyway since before char gets up boss kills him.
He also strikes with his leg faster than I raise my shield or dodge after I hit him lel. So far Knights in Castles 20: Shadenaut :0

I also laughed hysterically when I realised I did about half damage I usually do to both Aldritch and then dragon granpa, because they're resistant to magic damage, and I am all magical. It's not the first time but I didn't know split damage weapons can be so problematic. Should have rolled a paladin or just 40 STR & use resin.

Btw, Pontiff's biggest strength, his love for purple prose, is his biggest weakness. He is not invulnerable while summoning it and weapon with big slash can hit both him and it. He summons it even when on low hp. Three claymore strikes - clone dead, -30% boss hp. Three baits - boss dead.

Arnust

Savant
Should have rolled a paladin
It would have been worse, believe me.

Honestly, it sounds like you might need a respec. Take some magic off you and be more about having a viable melee option and then buff or cast whatever instead of being constantly halved. As for Gundyr, he really doesn't have all that many HP and you can rollspam him to death, nevermind how much of a chump is when you parry.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
In my experience Knights in the Castle are piss-easy if you use combat skills and nigh unbeatable otherwise. If you haven't explored the skills, now may be the time to do so.

Shadenuat

Arcane
soooo those 5 crystal weapons I have might have been a mistake then :M( I also made MBGS & Mace Windu's Judgement claymore)

but wizards are cool?
that Aldritch human centepide, like I CAST RAIN OF ARROWS
and me like you shall not pass! WALL OF LIGHT
and her spell gets deflected back
I felt like Gandalf. probably the only time and only once in whole game when magic actually did something in combat.
well you can also make Yawn Giant's head boing in a funny way with magic missile like Saitama's head in One Punch Man after sea king hit him

I am an idiot so I didn't figure out how :lol: basically, I took sword and read "this one stronk against giants". "cool" I thought and tried to hit him... 100 damage. I think - well maybe I need to hit particular part. So I figure out how to get his head and crit him in the head with sword... 1000 damage. "cool" I thought, and out of interest tried to do same with my Crystal Claymore +8 at a time. 2000+ damage.....
"ffs From Software" I said and went on to kill him with claymore&magic missiles.

THEN I actually watched someone else to do it on youtube :shittydog:

It somewhat came from previous Dancer fight. "weak against dark" I read on wiki. "cool" I thought and made a spear with Dark damage +6 or so. 200 damage... I hit with Claymore which was a level or two above at a time. 300 damage... "ffs!!11"
And that's where I stopped caring about enemy resists.

Last edited:
Faith characters start off very weak for pretty much the entire first half of game and only become somewhat viable once you get Lightning Blade. You basically have to beat the game before you can actually have a complete Faith character, which is super lame. It's only okay for me because I usually always take characters into NG+ anyway. At this point, Faith characters become one of the strongest builds in the game, especially for PvE, thanks to all the buffs which allow for a 3 different types of elemental damage. Ideally, buffs should be added on top of weapons with a physical infusion, unless you character has only the minimum str/dex to wield the weapon. There are exceptions and those are among the best weapons in the game right now, such as the Saint Bident, which I find to be the strongest when buffed, even if you have the minimum str/dex.

I am an idiot so I didn't figure out how :lol: basically, I took sword and read "this one stronk against giants". "cool" I thought and tried to hit him... 100 damage. I think - well maybe I need to hit particular part. So I figure out how to get his head and crit him in the head with sword... 1000 damage. "cool" I thought, and out of interest tried to do same with my Crystal Claymore +8 at a time. 2000+ damage.....
"ffs From Software" I said and went on to kill him with claymore&magic missiles.

THEN I actually watched someone else to do it on youtube :shittydog:

It somewhat came from previous Dancer fight. "weak against dark" I read on wiki. "cool" I thought and made a spear with Dark damage +6 or so. 200 damage... I hit with Claymore which was a level or two above at a time. 300 damage... "ffs!!11"
And that's where I stopped caring about enemy resists.

Yhorme is weak to lightning damage, a great strategy against him is to cast a lightning spear at his head to proc a critical hit and deal a lot of damage at once. He is also vulnerable to strike damage, if you must go the melee route.
The Dancer is weak ot Bleed and Lightning, with that knowledge in mind, you can cut down the Dancer quite early. I find Faith has a significant advantage in the later game overall.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I am an idiot so I didn't figure out how :lol:

Nah, I don't think many people figured that out on their own. The fact you have to hold the heavy attack for 5 seconds is such a big fuck you from Miyazaki. Like that puzzle with the crow's nest in DS1. Miyazaki, you sonofabitch.

It's not the first time but I didn't know split damage weapons can be so problematic.

Yeah, split damage weps. For such a well designed games like Souls it's such a hilarious design fuckup lol. "Here, have an infusion that makes your weapon worse! - Hidetaka Miyazaki, the God of design."

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'd say faith chars can be quite good quite early on. You can bless a halberd before the catacombs and just breeze through that area. Then e.g. lightning-infuse the claymore and with high faith you're set.

I found the lightning offensive spells to be useless, though.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Concidering they changed system to mana-based, I don't understand why are there so few spell slots. There are spells like Light or Cure ailment, yet you either take those or a damaging spell. Would it be so bad to have 5 spells at least for average ATN? You end up using mostly invisibility and maybe one type of magic missile, or wasting multiple ring slots. For a game that prizes itself as Castlevania 3D, there could have been more uses for spells and just... more spells avaible.
60 sec duration for everything, even Light, is also terribad. And life of a not NG+ spellcaster is fairly miserable in general. Cause where do you get points to raise ATN to at least 25 or more?

Last edited:
I do think the FP system in 3 was absolutely not well thought out and is directly worse than the Spell Count system. As it is, DS2 remains the best in regards to Spellcasting.

Grimlorn

Arcane
They buffed elemental damage pretty heavily in patch 1.14. You can hit the softcap for chaos or dark infusion weapons by only putting 30 into faith and int. They buffed the damage they do as well significantly. I went through NG+ with a Chaos infused Harald Curved Greatsword and the Lothric Knight Greatsword which has innate lightning damage and you can buff with lightning blade to add about an extra 150 lightning damage. So you'll have about 500 physical damage and 300 lightning total. Ran through the bosses quite easily. You just have to make sure they are vulnerable to the element you're using. Most are vulnerable to either fire or lightning and that's been the theme of the game since DS1. Magic and Dark suck for PvE although Dark is good for PVP for regular attacks.

Shadenuat

Arcane
lunging attack

fuck off

try lunging attack

try fuck yourself GAME

k then do 17 dmg with bow and die to mini snakes ahole

*sigh* lunging attack it is
(1000000 dmg ride the dragon)
....I am not playing Dragon Age. Not. Popamole. Playing serious hardcore game. not... popa--

(silent tears run on my face)

and then, there was gazebo with 8 minisnakes and 3 axe wielding giant snakes.

Shadenuat

Arcane
iRfltXa.png

after 50 hours

is that
an actual

Dark Souls boss?!11

source.gif

my body is ready

all I have is +10 claymore and +10 astora great sword tho (since it has S in INT, I am slowly getting better with it). one faster, one hits harder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom