Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I remember Dragon Slayer armor because of the variety of his attacks (which you don't think is real)

I fully acknowledged there are a lot of them, but I think there's a difference between variations on a theme (different flavors of smashing and bashing), especially a theme that we've seen many times before, and completely different types of moves. Hornet's thread whip, thread needle-mines, and dashes are a lot more unique both in appearance and in function than yet another Artorias clone with eight slightly different weapon swipes and five different shield bashes. Also, Hornet's two dashes are extremely variable in timing and setup even if they employ the same sprite animations.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'll tell you one thing, there were times in Dark Souls 2 when I stood at the bonfire peeking out at some fresh pitch-black Hell, dawdling and delaying because I dreaded going out there to get my shit pushed in. Shouldn't I just turn the game off and go pet a kitten? Wouldn't that be better?

Never happened once in DS3.

sullynathan

Arcane
I remember Dragon Slayer armor because of the variety of his attacks (which you don't think is real)

I fully acknowledged there are a lot of them, but I think there's a difference between variations on a theme (different flavors of smashing and bashing), especially a theme that we've seen many times before, and completely different types of moves. Hornet's thread whip, thread needle-mines, and dashes are a lot more unique both in appearance and in function than yet another Artorias clone with eight slightly different weapon swipes and five different shield bashes. Also, Hornet's two dashes are extremely variable in timing and setup even if they employ the same sprite animations.
Well that's the thing of the dragon slayer, he only has a hammer & shield. He doesn't have a buff or super unexpected attack like Artorias. I think he's a good boss in DS3, one of the better ones in the game. There are a few more that I'd say are better than him.

False King Allant
It's not much of a comparison. Artorias is a better boss than the False King.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Plenty of fagmos chain-downvoting my completely accurate assessment of the objectively worst game in the Souls franchise, but they can't actually rebut any of them. Sad!

Current status:

• Spellcasters are pre-nerfed, obnoxious to actually play, good only for gimmick build funsies: not rebutted
  • Level design is thinly-disguised linear corridors with shortcuts and fast travel everywhere: not rebutted
  • Everywhere is well lit, save the occasional dark room (in which you can still see just fine): not rebutted
  • Garbage loot distribution, great majority are repetitive upgrade items and consumables: not rebutted
  • General gameplay far easier and less threatening than previous entries, plus a nice all-in-one hub: not rebutted
  • Multiple tryhard Artorias clones, too much auto-tracking, various forms of fake difficulty: "rebutted" by someone who had no idea how shields work

On the upside, the graphics are pretty good, attacks and rolls are nice and fast (because the point of a Souls game is to be like Street Fighter), and the co-op password is much appreciated. Also, it'll be handy to have a .txt of nincompoops with absolutely no taste whatsoever nor any sense of what constitutes good gameplay in ackshun gaems, for more convenient and expedient discarding of opinions in the future.

• General gameplay far easier and less threatening than previous entries, plus a nice all-in-one hub: not rebutted
Not my experience. Very possible I'm just playing it wrong as I haven't even gone through half of it yet but so far it feels like the hardest one in series. There are a lot more enemies and most of them seem to be a lot faster than in previous two games. Plus the combat is significantly faster in general and I'm not really a fan of that. I've tried switching from starting Longsword to Claymore in hopes of killing stuff faster but that only made me die a lot more because with slower attack I could barely land a hit without being interrupted so I switched back. Sure I've had my share of dying in previous two games but I never found them downright irritating like I do this one.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Not my experience. Very possible I'm just playing it wrong as I haven't even gone through half of it yet but so far it feels like the hardest one in series.

Sounds like someone needs to git gud. :troll:

I'm just yanking your chain. It's true that there are more enemies and that the cadence of combat is faster, but then again, are there really more enemies per bonfire? You also get comfortable i-frames when not fatrolling without the need for a substantial stat investment, as was the case in DS2. I'm used to playing gotta go fast ackshun gaems, so the speed increase probably didn't make much of an impression on me, except to note that enemies flail around ludicrously in DS3. Flailing multi-attack spaz combo spam wasn't a thing in previous entries; instead, there was a sort of dour cadence to it all. For my part, I find this inferior because it spoils the atmosphere, not because I can't handle spazmatazz flailing sprinters gameplay-wise.

Change of subject. Here's what I'm wondering: I enjoyed Dark Souls immensely. I can't prove that beyond all doubt in the context of this discussion, since it's been many years since I've played it, I don't own it on Steam, and I haven't discussed it at length. I can prove however that I enjoyed Dark Souls 2, because I discussed it at length many months ago in the relevant Codex thread, and I've got the Steam stats to prove it:

7749c94305.png

Mind you, DS2 wasn't without its flaws by any means, and I lodged many complaints. I still loved the game, though. It's also worth mentioning that DS1 had plenty of flaws too, although it can be argued that its flaw:incline ratio is the best in the franchise.

Bearing all this in mind, why would I would play DS3 and then descend on this thread to shit on it? I had absolutely no motivation to bash it until I'd actually played it. If anything, I might have been biased in its favor, since I love the franchise and had watched dozens of DS3 trolling/funsies YouTube videos prior to playing. I enjoyed those because of the antics and monkeyshines.

Maybe the difference between me and DS3's defenders is that they don't consider the many flaws I've listed (and which stand mostly uncontested, since you all know damned well there are too many bonfires and hardly any darkness, for example) to be serious issues. I absolutely consider them to be serious issues, and they soured the experience for me.

Ventidius

Arbiter
To me the reason Dark Souls 2 (particularly the SOTFS edition) is superior to 3 boils down to the fact that it was such an unbalanced but fun clusterfuck of a game. To clarify, Dark Souls 2 simply gave you way more options in terms of character building: more stats, more spells, more weapons and armor, and more ways to mix and match all of the above. This meant the pool of fun builds, and thus replayability, was greater, not to mention magic was uncontestably at its most fun in this entry.

Of course, this also made the game more unbalanced, but that is only a bad thing if it makes the game easier, and in my view it did not. If anything, if you play Dark Souls 2 with a "purist" build(fast roller with UGS or GS, no magic, no summons), Dark Souls 2 is actually one of the most challenging of From's games, comfortably surpassing BB, the first Dks and certainly 3(though I can't compare it to DeS, since I've never played it) in terms of difficulty. I think the reason for this is that in 2 the areas and bosses were tuned to be able to handle a player using plenty of the options available(including summons), which meant they were objectively more challenging than in other games, but could ultimately become actually easier if the player exploited all or even a sufficient amount of the options available. Of course, this also meant that the purist would have a much harder time than he would in Bloodborne (which was balanced to only handle the purist approach) or any other From game, and often it felt extremely cheap, at times even apparently forfeiting the "but fair" part of the "hard but fair" catchphrase - I'm looking at you Shrine of Amana.

Of course, it could be argued that the purist is like those folks who gimp themselves to squeeze challenge out of a game and then proclaim masterful design. But I would say this is not quite the case. I don't think playing with a purist build is gimping at all, if anything the reason this play style is called purist to begin with is that the fast rolling giant animu greatsword wielder/Guts LARPER has always been at the essence of these games and by far the most interesting part of their combat mechanics. The fact that Bloodborne was entirely designed around this play style (didn't even have shields apart from that shabby wooden board) kind of shows its special importance to the Soulsborne games. It is certainly not the equivalent of doing an SL 1 run. Thus the fact that the purist experience is the most challenging in 2 while also making other play styles(especially magic-based) more interesting than in the other games is one of the things that makes DkS 2 special. I would, however, add that the actual melee combat mechanics are superior in Bloodborne, and perhaps even in 3, it is the overall challenge (and possibly variety) of the encounters that is superior in 2 when playing purist-style, and while that is not always for the best due to the cheaper/more unbalanced parts, the latter are not numerous enough to ruin the experience.

Also, along with the greater wealth of character building options came a greater scope, though this is only truly brought out in the SOTFS edition. While I don't actually have data on the size of the maps, I am almost certain that there was a greater amount of areas in 2 than in 3 at least. These areas were also more varied, and while the world-building at times felt disjointed in a somewhat jarring way, it came together well overall, especially once you dug deeper into the lore. In general, the world felt both bigger and more varied and multichromatic(both figuratively and literally) than that of 3. It was also much less linear than that of 3. I also preferred the way the lore was handled in 2 over 3, though this is an area in which I have seen good arguments from both sides. I do think, however, that 2 did a much better job of being original and setting itself apart while exploring the setting and moving its themes forward, while 3 came off as too slavishly devoted to nostalgia of the first game without really recapturing its atmosphere.

Overall, I would also say that 2 beats 3 and is roughly the net equal to BB, while the first Dark Souls was the best. To be fair though, my memory is a bit hazy on the details of my experience of that last one, so it may just be nostalgia. OTOH though, I would say Dark Souls was the best because of two reasons: better lore/mythos, atmosphere, and world building, and, of course, GiantDad. I mean, one of the worst things about 3 is that they had this shameless nostalgiafest going in which they just ripped off stuff from Dark Souls, and yet they neglected to add the coolest and dankest griefer build in the franchise.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I dunno man, DS2 became far easier for me when I Soul Vesseled from a pure sorcerer to basically a straightforward quality build with a greatsword and a back shield.

But then I discovered the true meta (my screenshot):

0f09685d34.png

Ventidius

Arbiter
That actually reminds me of another strength of Dks2: best Fashion Souls meta in the series. Also, binoculars are OP. Regarding melee vs magic, I dunno, magic made the game a cakewalk for me, only thing that threw me off balance was fast enemies, and even those weren't that much of a problem because they were somewhat sluggish. Heck, I think fast enemies (and thus mage playthroughs) were tougher in Dks 3 because the AI felt more aggressive and enemies also seem to move faster.

EDIT: Also, if you Soul Vesseled that changes things a bit. I just started another playthrough from scratch when I tried the mage, the melee builds take quite a bit to come into their own, so having a bunch of levels to get them quickly up to speed helps a lot. Meanwhile mage just kicks ass right out of the gate, without that much of a need to overstretch itself too much with attributes like Adaptability and Vitality early on if you play your cards right (though to be fair I did the mage run after the melee run, so I knew what to expect).

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Heck, I think fast enemies (and thus mage playthroughs) were tougher in Dks 3 because the AI felt more aggressive and enemies also seem to move faster.

It's also because they nerfed the shit out of magic yet again.

What does magic offer? Spike damage and additional range, generally lock-on range unless you're an extraordinarily dab hand with free aiming or are fighting a boss, which is why it's famously used for boss cheesing. The spike damage isn't even that fantastic if you're going for efficiency while working through an area. In exchange, you run through Fag Points extremely quickly, probably have to split your Estus even despite the closeness of the bonfires, have to stand around like an asshole for a second or two being completely vulnerable when you cast, and spellcasting calls for a minimum of two dedicated stats, and sometimes three, sucking points away from VIT, END, etc. Hybrid? Maybe at SL 100+, or a bit of priestly magic. Otherwise, fuck you.

Meanwhile, you only need one and a half stats to use any melee weapon perfectly well by midgame, so you can spend far more on survivability, equip load, and stamina. Nothing ever breaks for any reason despite the existence of a durability system, so you get infinite attacks instead of running out of Fag Points after killing five enemies. The only downside is that you have to get slightly closer to the enemy. That is literally the only downside, which is why I batted almost every magic-using invader into the stratosphere effortlessly, with one notable exception who had a billion hours in the game to my 42.

EDIT: Also, if you Soul Vesseled that changes things a bit. I just started another playthrough from scratch when I tried the mage, the melee builds take quite a bit to come into their own, so having a bunch of levels to get them quickly up to speed helps a lot. Meanwhile mage just kicks ass right out of the gate, without that much of a need to overstretch itself too much with attributes like Adaptability and Vitality early on if you play your cards right (though to be fair I did the mage run after the melee run, so I knew what to expect).

Yeah, I thought of this too shortly after my last post, and it's a fair point. By the time I switched to melee, I had enough ghost juice to run a decent quality build with nice armor and goodrolls.

Frankly, I was spoiled by Dragon's Dogma. DD isn't really a Souls-like game per se, although it's reminiscent in numerous ways, and it's not as relentlessly difficult as a proper Souls game... but boy, did they handle classes correctly. Instead of one person, you have your main character and two pawns. The dexterous classes climb everything in sight and roll and sprint and clamber all over large monsters and shoot arrows tactically, the dedicated rangers snipe, the beefcake classes block and parry and smash and shout and charge, and the spellcasters hide in the back like little faggots chanting and desperately hoping nothing notices they're there.

There's your standard mage, and a dedicated variant who loses access to some healing and support spells but can cast massively damaging AoEs that have an enormous casting time. There's RITUAL MAGIC, yes, if you have multiple casters in a party, they can combine their powers. And, there are proper and balanced hybrids: magic knight, magic archer, that sort of thing.

Dragon's Dogma allows spellcasters to truly be spellcasters by not treating them as frontline gladiators. That's the downside to Souls being designed for one character, I suppose.

Last edited:

Ventidius

Arbiter
Heck, I think fast enemies (and thus mage playthroughs) were tougher in Dks 3 because the AI felt more aggressive and enemies also seem to move faster.

It's also because they nerfed the shit out of magic yet again.

What does magic offer? Spike damage and additional range, generally lock-on range unless you're an extraordinarily dab hand with free aiming or are fighting a boss, which is why it's famously used for boss cheesing. The spike damage isn't even that fantastic if you're going for efficiency while working through an area. In exchange, you run through Fag Points extremely quickly, probably have to split your Estus even despite the closeness of the bonfires, have to stand around like an asshole for a second or two being completely vulnerable when you cast, and spellcasting calls for a minimum of two dedicated stats, and sometimes three, sucking points away from VIT, END, etc. Hybrid? Maybe at SL 100+, or a bit of priestly magic. Otherwise, fuck you.

Meanwhile, you only need one and a half stats to use any melee weapon perfectly well by midgame, so you can spend far more on survivability, equip load, and stamina. Nothing ever breaks for any reason despite the existence of a durability system, so you get infinite attacks instead of running out of Fag Points after killing five enemies. The only downside is that you have to get slightly closer to the enemy. That is literally the only downside, which is why I batted almost every magic-using invader into the stratosphere effortlessly, with one notable exception who had a billion hours in the game to my 42.

That's a nice summary of how they gutted spell casting in 3, and I might add that it is the icing on the cake when one considers this is already a heavily desiccated game that is lacking in content, branching exploration, and replayability compared to the others. They couldn't even be arsed in adding some post-game procedural dungeons like the Chalices from Bloodborne. By screwing up mage builds the way they did they just took away one of the biggest factors contributing to replayability in these games, because said builds were always among the most interesting and the first I would try out after running my melee builds.

Frankly, I was spoiled by Dragon's Dogma. DD isn't really a Souls-like game per se, although it's reminiscent in numerous ways, and it's not as relentlessly difficult as a proper Souls game... but boy, did they handle classes correctly. Instead of one person, you have your main character and two pawns. The dexterous classes climb everything in sight and roll and sprint and clamber all over large monsters and shoot arrows tactically, the dedicated rangers snipe, the beefcake classes block and parry and smash and shout and charge, and the spellcasters hide in the back like little faggots chanting and desperately hoping nothing notices they're there.

There's your standard mage, and a dedicated variant who loses access to some healing and support spells but can cast massively damaging AoEs that have an enormous casting time. There's RITUAL MAGIC, yes, if you have multiple casters in a party, they can combine their powers. And, there are proper and balanced hybrids: magic knight, magic archer, that sort of thing.

Dragon's Dogma allows spellcasters to truly be spellcasters by not treating them as frontline gladiators. That's the downside to Souls being designed for one character, I suppose.

I am a big fan of DD myself, and I think it is probably one of the best, if not the best, implementations of the whole concept of Action RPG in the industry. The reason I had always been skeptical of ARPGs in the past was that they usually failed to provide as many options as the heavily abstracted systems of turn-based games. In TB games you don't need necessarily need to implement the actual physics of the abilities used by each role, and you can get away with just providing some symbolic animations for certain abilities rather than having to, you know, program your engine to simulate climbing, fireballs, freezing, slashing, shooting arrows, etc., all in real time. Dragon's Dogma manages to implement at least three (more if you consider the hybrids) very different play styles into its engine, and they all feel like you are playing a different game (archer feels a bit like playing a shooter, warrior like a hack and slash,etc), and the gameplay for each of these options is smooth and competent by the standards of modern action games, and while the combat obviously does not measure up to the very cream of crop of action games, it ultimately does not have to due to the character building options and variety that the gameplay offers as an RPG, which more than justifies its existence as an alternative to both action games proper and the typical Western ARPGs with crappy combat and few options such as Piranha Bytes games and Witcher.

As you said, it is not really like Dark Souls at all. The latter is more of a straight up action game, while DD is more of an RPG. Twitch skills tend to matter more in DS than in DD. I can't imagine doing level 1 runs in DD. Perhaps it is possible, but the HP difference should be too much to make it enjoyable at any level. I usually clean the ogres from the tunnel in DD at relatively low level - soon as I hit Gran Soren - and that gives me an inkling of how annoying that would be. The character system itself and character-building are also arguably more interesting in DD. Not to mention that Dark Souls's exploration is more like a Metroidvania or a dungeon crawler, while DD goes more for the open overworld thing.

I do agree, however, that Dark Souls could learn quite a bit from DD (and for that matter so could the entire ARPG scene), especially how to make different builds more interesting. I mean assassins and archers are super fun in DD, while they always have struck me as kind of lame in Dark Souls. That said DD could also learn a bit from Dark Souls, one thing that Dark Souls does very well - apart from the depth of the combat mechanics - that I rarely see in DD is designing tactical encounters. Like, for example, in Dark Souls areas are designed with the explicit intent to screw you: you have enemies in plain sight that act as bait, guys hiding in ambush waiting to skewer you, campy fucks shooting and throwing crap at you, sometimes environmental hazards and traps, cramped environments and limited field of view, and all of those factors and more engineered to operate in unison according to the Dungeon Master's sadistic plan to bar you from getting through with your estus filled, if at all. Though to be fair, this works for Dark Souls due to the nature of its exploration as a dungeon crawler, perhaps DD could implement more extensive dungeon crawling. One way could be dotting the world with dungeons a la Morrowind. Either way, both are excellent games.

EDIT: Also, I think there are some downsides to implementing a party system in an action RPG. While I think that the latter is a generally good thing by making customization more extensive(party customization is always better than single character customization, even if one is not given control of the builds of every pawn) and makes DD more faithful to the spirit of old-school RPGs than most action RPGs, I think it is probably the most raw element of the DD formula and still needs some work. In particular, I have in mind the whole mechanic of reviving party members while they are down, which I feel is cheesy. They should either go with permadeath or something more balanced like sending them back to town after getting downed, or reviving them only after the end of combat. Also a bit more party control would be welcome, but I suppose limited squad control is always going to be a limitation of third and first person real time RPGs, and expecting the same kind of control one gets from isometric TB or RTwP would be unrealistic.

Another problem in this connection would be one of balance: either the dev makes party members ineffectual and balances enemies to be beaten mostly by the player character - thus maximizing the skill-based element of the gameplay, or they are made effective at the expense of the skill-based nature of the combat due to the corresponding bump in enemy stats required for them to survive a party, which makes the contributions of the player less relevant. This is one of the reasons the melee combat itself is better in Dark Souls, because the player is mostly expected to rely on his own efforts to beat enemies (leaving aside the cheesy summons) and thus the devs can tune the challenge accordingly. It would be something else if there was more party control which allowed the player to use tactics instead of skill, but one may then wonder why go with the real-time first/third person format to begin with. Much of the fun of managing a party in TB and RTwP comes from managing the tactics of your squad, if there is little possibility of doing that it might well be better to take the DS approach rather than the DD one. Still, I am open to see if Capcom, or anyone else, can take a crack at it and succeed.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
To be fair Blaine, haven't you done this DS3 playthrough mostly if not fully in co-op?

I did, but that also meant that we were constantly invaded. There was no area I had trouble dealing with solo when I went back to grab something I missed, or that made me think: "Wow, this is just like DS2 all over again! I really dread what's coming. Hope I can find the next bonfire eventually."

The next bonfire was always a stone's throw away, and in many cases you could probably sprint and roll past all of the enemies even if that was your first time in an area, although I didn't do that. I did notice however that simply stepping behind a corner for just a couple of seconds causes enemies to de-aggro in this installment if they're any appreciable distance away.

Lazing Dirk actually worked through a lot more areas and bosses solo than I did, and seems to share my opinions almost in their entirety, so there's that. That's why we're such swell pals: excellent taste.

You also get comfortable i-frames when not fatrolling without the need for a substantial stat investment, as was the case in DS2. I'm used to playing gotta go fast ackshun gaems, so the speed increase probably didn't make much of an impression on me, except to note that enemies flail around ludicrously in DS3.

I've never found that to be a problem in DSII, I usually just pump ADP first and get good i-frames as sooon as I kill The Last Giant. So good that I never even used a shield past my first character in that game, opting for quick access to crossbow/pyromancy on the left hand instead. I really don't think I could do that with relentless enemy attacks in DSIII. I noticed that in a lot of fights I have to play very aggressive and stunlock enemies in hopes of killing them before my stamina runs out or risk wasting a bunch of estus on them once they start flailing about like crazy. It makes majority of fights feel samey. Of course, it's still a very solid game annoyances nonwithstanding, I just can't enjoy it as much as first two. I play a little of it then I feel like putting it down to play something else until a day or two passes. Playing first two I was fucking glued to them pretty much from start to finish.

Last edited:

Ventidius

Arbiter
You also get comfortable i-frames when not fatrolling without the need for a substantial stat investment, as was the case in DS2. I'm used to playing gotta go fast ackshun gaems, so the speed increase probably didn't make much of an impression on me, except to note that enemies flail around ludicrously in DS3.

I've never found that to be a problem in DSII, I usually just pump ADP first and get good i-frames as sooon as I kill The Last Giant.

But that is kind of the point. The game forces you to make the strategic choice of diverting those valuable attribute points from Endurance or Vigor or Strength/Dex in order to pump Adaptability and prevent crappy i-frames from screwing you.

But that is kind of the point. The game forces you to make the strategic choice of diverting those valuable attribute points from Endurance or Vigor or Strength/Dex in order to pump Adaptability and prevent crappy i-frames from screwing you.

I know but I also cannot see it as a big deal when I can forget about that stat this early in the game. I've heard going in heavy armor + shield with no AGL investment is also viable in it, I just never tried it as it is simply not my style.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I was right in how shields worked

Partly that was a language barrier issue, but then again, you were being a bit of a pedantic cunt yourself at the time. thesheeep was simply fuzzy on some particulars of upgrading shields, and clearly not clueless as you were implying... but hey, he didn't like something in your precious shit game. Better attack him.

sullynathan

Arcane
I was right in how shields worked

Partly that was a language barrier issue, but then again, you were being a bit of a pedantic cunt yourself at the time. thesheeep was simply fuzzy on some particulars of upgrading shields, and clearly not clueless as you were implying... but hey, he didn't like something in your precious shit game. Better attack him.
I didn't attack him.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also, it'll be handy to have a .txt of nincompoops with absolutely no taste whatsoever nor any sense of what constitutes good gameplay in ackshun gaems, for more convenient and expedient discarding of opinions in the future.

Basically everyone who got butthurt by me calling them retards and downvoted my post where I nailed them with my amazingly on-point observation (last paragraph).

Also, you're not going to get rebutted. When you spend some time among the Souls community you'll learn there's a subset of fans who only care about the graphix, combat smoothness and Artorias-type bosses. For them DS3 is great because it has these three things in spades despite having ZERO amount of all the other yummy things that make the other Souls games so brilliant.

Last edited:
Perhaps someone will attempt to rebut my comments regarding the game's level design.

ITT I've never heard any arguments from the resident retards who defend the game but you can always hope.
who would waist time to rebut such a well constructed arguments like

Everything you wrote is spot on, except Skyrim is a better game than DS3.

Almost everything about DS3 is lazy and phoned-in, with zero innovation, effort or even care and the level design is probably the biggest offender. That said, there's some good improvement in the DLCs, altho don't expect miracles.

Bloodborne is brilliant. It has issues but there's a world of difference between the level of love and care and thought and innovation it received and DS3. If it was just as phoned-in as DS3 I'd seriously think Miyazaki is just a skilled scammer and FromSoft shat the bucket the moment he took over. But it really seems he sank all his time into Bloodborne and outsourced DS3 to some Chinese third party or some such.

As for people praising DS3....if you look around forums for reasons why people love DeS and DS1 they usually say "the vibe, the ideas, the combat, the level design, the itemization, the bosses, the writing, the lore, the little devious details, the quirkiness, the secrets, whole package". If you ask the retards who praise DS3 what they like about that game you'd typically hear "it's smooth...better graphix...viscerul bosses". Nuff said.

:deathclaw:
The worst parts of DS3 like bows and magic being shit are still better than their counterparts in Skyrim. Combat system, level design, boss fights, art design, lore, itemization... There is nothing comparable in Skyrim. Also Midir rapes Alduin every day of the week.

You and Blaine cant even distinct between world design and level design :lol: DS1 is the only one with exceptional interconnected world and level design. World design in DS3 is worse than BB or DS1 but individual levels are great. Undead Settlement is great sprawling level. It lacks the verticality of Undead Burg-Undead Parish-Lower Undead Burg but nevertheless its a lot of fun and you can approach it from at least 2-3 different directions.

Cathedral of the Deep is the best level built around single bonfire. Grand Archives are like Duke Archives only this time good:lol: Lothric Castle is better level than Drangleic, Boletaria or Cainhurst Castle. Irythil Dungeon is not Latria great but still good. Ringed City shits on Anor Londo.

Bosses are not viscerul or whatever but majority of them are this time actually good fights even if a bit imitative. Its the only game next to BB were plain boring or gimmicky shit tier boss fights are in minority.l

Lazing Dirk

Itemization is utter trash. 90% of loot is some upgrade bit, a usable soul item, a turn-in item or consumable you probably don't need, with only 2-3 unique or interesting things per entire zone, and often one of those things is an Estus upgrade, which there are only two types of. The great majority of armor, spells, and weapons are simply purchased from hub vendors, or else farmed. IT SHOULD BE THE OPPOSITE, YOU UTTER RETARDS. Players should find most of the unique armor, weapons, and spells as loot, and buy the repetitive upgrade crap from vendors. It got to the point I didn't even read or remember what I was picking up anymore.

:roll:

Out of 17 straight swords in the game 16 you can either loot, get from enemies or from souls transposing. Short sword is the only one you have to buy :lol: Greatswords: 15 out of 16 are found in the game world with bastard sword being the only one you have to buy. I am not even going to bother with the rest. Please remind me where did you find your Balder swag sword or Black Knight Sword?

Itemization in DS3 is trash when it comes to spells but only cause you have to wait till late game to get your best ones.

DS3 is exactly like every other game in Souls series. Two steps forward - one step back. From Soft. is simply not a learning animal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom