Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Seethe

Arbiter
Gotta say, killing annoying invader retards, throwing a piece of dung at them and pointing down is one of the biggest justice boners I've ever had in a video game.

Arnust

Savant
>killing invaders in 3
>of any merit whatsoever
:nocountryforshitposters:

It's the most fun when the invader just acts as a coop buddy and doesn't start shut awful PvP combat though, I can see that.

Gerrard

Arcane
Trying to get constant 60FPS in Archdragon Peak be like

uAQEYQm.jpg

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
That looks like a PS2 screenshot

Edit: Is that the joke or are you genuinely running the game on some prepotato?

Edit edit: Actually given some of the other posts in this thread, maybe it's a standard potato but with the seemingly non-deterministic performance issues.

I'm gonna stop now.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
I can play in most areas fine in 720, with almost zero dips below 60, with the exception of Firelink Shrine, I guess Andre's muscles have too many polygons. But in Archdragon Peak simply looking in one direction of the map tanks the framerate A LOT, it doesn't matter if you look at a wall or scenery, there's clearly some issue with culling or LOD scaling. I wonder if it was this bad on consoles as well, I have heard that some boss fights had FPS drops because of particle effects.
The game doesn't offer much lower resolutions than 1280x720.

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I've played a lot of Dark Souls, and I just spent the weekend playing DS1 Remastered. I'm not sure if 3 is my favorite, but it is better than 2. The proper ranking of FROM games, by the way, is DS1, BB, DS3, DS2. Anyway, my thoughts in no particular order:

• Itemization in 3 is "better" in the sense that most of the best weapons you can get by achieving in-game goals, e.g. beating a boss or finding a certain area. DS2 gave them out too easy. And worse, DS1 had too many weapons that you had to farm in order to get. I don't mind a little farming, but it seemed excessive in DS1.
  • DS2 offered more builds, but some of them were ridiculous in power-level. For example, agility was a completely fucking broken stat and made you almost invincible for via roll frames. Then you've got dumb shit like dual wielding great clubs.
  • DS2 had better NCPs
  • DS2 had too many NPCs
  • I liked that even at it's busiest, DS1's "hub" was not bustling with people. It always felt forlorn and deserted.
  • DS1 had a much better "atmosphere," however you care to label it. Anor Londo was terrifically bright but deserted, conveying agoraphobia. Blighttown is dark and cramped, conveying claustrophobia. No other FROM game manages to convey atmosphere so well.
  • Nothing will beat the feeling of loneliness and separation from being at the bottom of Ash Lake, for example, or down into the Catacombs of DS1. DS1 had a verticality that has not been matched (Smouldering Lake comes closest, since you get there by going down. Abyss Watchers, Catacombs, down the bridge, etc). But man, DS1 had a way of leading you down, down, down . . . wondering how the hell you were going to get back up.
  • DS2 fashion sucked.
  • DS3 was faster and you can definitely see BB's DNA in the game.
  • Because of the above, certain playstyles were rewarded more than others. DS3 in many ways feels like "Berserk: The Role Playing Game."
  • Because of this, some playstyles just didn't feel as fleshed out. For example, you could legitimately roll and play a tank in DS1 from start to finish. In DS3, tanking is not viable until you find your first Greatshield (arguably, Curseward in the Cathedral), but even then, Cathedral Knights can wreck your stam in one or two hits. For most of the game, rolling will always be a better option than tanking for 90% of the time, which I don't like.
  • The weapon customization in DS3 is fucking awesome. Infusions are a great idea, and they were implemented well.
  • DS1 was harder at first, but is easier upon repeated play throughs. I think the AI in DS3 is better -- I don't die on DS1 bosses anymore, ever. But DS3 bosses can still fuck me up. They're just smarter.
  • DS2 substituted good boss design for shitty gimmicks (fuck you, Ruin Sentinels)
  • DS3 allows for parrying of more enemies, including bosses. It makes parrying a much more viable game play style, and allows me to make characters with names like "Katy Parry."
  • DS2 had Benhart of Jugo.
  • BB is the best console game of all time.
  • BB is the distillation of twitch-action gameplay and is a fucking masterpiece, and will go down in history as one of the best games ever made. Ever.
  • The load times for BB are fucking unacceptable.
  • Lore-wise, DS3 is the weakest. DS2 had some interesting stuff about the giants, etc, but moving the game to Drangleic . . . I dunno. It was not a compelling setting. BB2 was a little schizcophrenic, was it about nightmares and dreams and hunting, or about cosmic horrors? They could have just picked one (I prefer cosmic horrors), and made a whole game out of that.
  • Boss design in BB is fucking superb. There are only one or two weak/lazy ones (Lawrence comes to mind).
  • Weapon design in BB was delightfully fucking brutal. I never cared about the limited number of weapons.
  • Arcane playthroughs in BB were mostly trash. They were fun for a gimmick, but you were never going to be able to match pure DPS of a str/dex build. I know some of you might argue with this, you are wrong.
  • Even BB is not immune from Miyazaki's love of gigantic fucking swords, hence Ludwig's Holy Blade
  • DS1, DS3, and BB all offer you really good, understated weapons in the very beginning of the game. I think this is Miyazaki being clever, but consider that (for example), the Saw Cleaver in BB is the first weapon you get and it is FUCKING AWESOME from the very beginning, and is a powerhouse by the end of the game. In DS3, a Raw ASS will last a magic-focused character almost the entire game, and you get it within 30 minutes of starting. In DS1, the long sword and the claymore are simply phenomenal weapons, and you can get them both almost right away (if you don't pick a warrior and start with the former, you can buy it pretty quickly from Andre).
  • Lightning in DS2 was fucking OP'd but I loved it. DS2 probably allowed me to play a lightning-cleric/Paladin better than DS1 or D3.
  • Conversely, Clerics in DS3 suck and are are almost unplayable for the first quarter of the game, if you want to use miracles. The first offensive miracle you get is Lightning Spear and it fucking blows. Lightning builds do not become viable until mid-game.
  • In DS1, there is exactly one boss that I beat on the first try, on my first playthrough (Iron Golem). In DS2, I beat multiple bosses on the first try, at last half a dozen that I can think of (Last Giant, Looking Glass Knight, Flexile Sentry, Skeleton Lords, Royal Rat, Lost Sinner, probably more). DS3 was somewhere in the middle. For BB, the only boss I beat on the first try was Mergo. I don't know what all of this means, just that DS2 felt like it had greater, sharper swings between cheese and unfair.
  • Sound design in DS1 is still the best. BB is a close second.
  • I like warp-able bonfires now that I have them (DS3), but I like that they don't exist in DS1 (if that makes sense).
  • Patches is a pretty cool guy, eh kicks you in teh ass and doesn't afraid of anything.
  • Below are my credentials, don't you dare say a fucking word about Dragon Age. DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE.

darksouls.png

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Below are my credentials, don't you dare say a fucking word about Dragon Age. DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE.

Well, it's the good one at least.

If it makes people feel any better, I don't even own the other two.

ETA: Also, pretty sure some of that time is me minimizing the game and forgetting I left it on in the background. But not too much. I legitimately did play a shitload of that game.

praetor

Arcane
skimming through your checklist, you're wrong on a lot of things, and it's obvious you didn't even play a patched version of DS2 (i.e. "Lightning in DS2 was fucking OP"), let alone the "definitive" SotFS edition. DS3 is by far the worst one in the series in pretty much every single way, but i'll write a more detailed response when i'll be a bit more bored at work :P

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
skimming through your checklist, you're wrong on a lot of things, and it's obvious you didn't even play a patched version of DS2 (i.e. "Lightning in DS2 was fucking OP"), let alone the "definitive" SotFS edition. DS3 is by far the worst one in the series in pretty much every single way, but i'll write a more detailed response when i'll be a bit more bored at work :P

How the fuck can someone play 315 hours of a game and "not play the patched version"? Also, lightning was fucking nuts, and you could get Great Lightning Spear pretty easily (it was not locked behind covenant levels like in DS1 and DS3). Even with 2 casts, it is a fucking beast. ETA: And don't get me started on Sunlight Spear.

I'm convinced that "DS3 is the worst one!" is just Codexian edgelording. People cannot possibly believe this.

praetor

Arcane

How the fuck can someone play 315 hours of a game and "not play the patched version"? Also, lightning was fucking nuts, and you could get Great Lightning Spear pretty easily (it was not locked behind covenant levels like in DS1 and DS3). Even with 2 casts, it is a fucking beast. ETA: And don't get me started on Sunlight Spear.

i have no idea, but you did? lightning was nerfed pretty early on. it was literally OP (i.e. you could finish the game with lightning and great lightning spears very easily as they annihilated everything. maybe pre-nerf Soul Geyser was stronger, but that's endgame, while the spears can be obtained very early), which is what you said explicitly. after the nerf they were still decent in PvE, but very, very far from OP, so the only logical explanation is that you played unpatched (or rather, up to the patch that nerfed them)... or that you do not know what "fucking OP" means. since i know you're rather well versed in the english language, i chose to go with the former

I'm convinced that "DS3 is the worst one!" is just Codexian edgelording. People cannot possibly believe this.

it isn't, it's objectively the worst. it has the shittiest story/lore by virtue of pointless fanservice at every opportunity, it has by far the shittiest combat with the the endless roll and R1 spam defeating 99% of enemies with ease and making you invulnerable thanks to super fast stamina replenishment, estus chugging is still a thing, it's by far the most linear Souls game to date, it has the worst build variety thanks to them gutting all forms of magic and so on and so forth. it's a great game in absolute terms, but a pretty bad Dark Souls sequel

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
875 hours in DA:O?

?????????????????

I mean she is kinda hot

latest
Morrigan was correctly messed in the head in DA:O.
Both trying to find alternative to avoid being used by Flemeth, and by trying to make potion of eternal life. They kinda lost it in DA:I.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
it isn't, it's objectively the worst. it has the shittiest story/lore by virtue of pointless fanservice at every opportunity, it has by far the shittiest combat with the the endless roll and R1 spam defeating 99% of enemies with ease and making you invulnerable thanks to super fast stamina replenishment, estus chugging is still a thing, it's by far the most linear Souls game to date, it has the worst build variety thanks to them gutting all forms of magic and so on and so forth. it's a great game in absolute terms, but a pretty bad Dark Souls sequel
That's a pretty solid description of DS2 you have there.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
That's a pretty solid description of DS2 you have there.

For real. How the fuck could anyone talk about roll-spamming and not be talking about DS2, with its busted-ass agility?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Nothing will beat the feeling of loneliness and separation from being at the bottom of Ash Lake, for example, or down into the Catacombs of DS1. DS1 had a verticality that has not been matched (Smouldering Lake comes closest, since you get there by going down. Abyss Watchers, Catacombs, down the bridge, etc). But man, DS1 had a way of leading you down, down, down . . . wondering how the hell you were going to get back up.

Wow, this is a super important point. I remember the first time I got to the Demon Ruins, after the literal shit-stained journey that was The Depths and then Blighttown.
I actually believed I trekked my way down to hell.

lXhANfH.jpg

The sight of this vista just kinda left me stunned for a while, with the Ceaseless Discharge flinging his tentacles in the distance.
It's such a damned shame that the actual area design for that and Izalith Ruins was fucking shit.

In any case, it's why I dislike the addition of telportation in the end of DaS, and having it automagically in the other games. They completely eliminated that dreadful feeling of "Oh god how the fuck did I get down here, how am I gonna make it back outside".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom