Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You got greedy, he always pauses before doing this.
He did it instantly after getting up after the backstab, and there's no difference between him pausing and not doing anything, so the only safe window to attack is after the end of a long ass combo he probably won't bother to use. I don't want chain backstabs but getting a free swing in doesn't seem like too much to ask for if you've got good timing.
Time your rolls better, it's perfectly doable.
He grabbed me at the end of the SECOND roll. There's no better timing to be had. I was absurdly far away after rolling as early as possible. The only safe way to fight him was to not attack unless he was on his ass or from behind while he was swinging at air. And for what? 1k souls? Who fucking cares. Old knights die in 1/4 the time, pose no threat, and give 400.
DS2 has 2 Ogres, Old Dragonslayer, Knight set, Cling Ring, Sublime Bone Dust, an Estus Flask Shard (the well), Covenant of Champions, Gender changing, Blue Knight Covenant, optional fight with the Pursuer on a big open platform, and you can choose to do with No-Man's Wharf, or The Pursuer to complete The Lost Bastille. All connected to the first area. If you have the Cat Ring, you can even jump down the center hole and do The Black Gulch and assorted stuff. What the hell more do you want available to you from the absolute beginning of the game? SotFS gives you the goddamned Grand Lance 30 minutes into the game - a weapon previously available after 90% of the game is done, a weapon that will scale VERY well into endgame that provides between 500 and 550 AR depending on your build.
And all of this is given without having to fight for it. Woo. Getting an estus shard from hitting a rock in town or getting a (crappy, slow, stat hungry and stamina inefficient) lance from an completely unguarded chest does not give me any sense of accomplishment. I'll give you fanservice boss- it's a decent chunk of souls for fighting an optional enemy. Though SotFS now gates it behind a fucking drake for some reason? I didn't even bother trying. See, I'd be fucking thrilled with all those things if they were dropped by the Heide knights and ogres. But they're not. They're free. The heide knights only have a .0004% chance to drop something, probably 12 pairs of pants. I'm not going to farm an enemy thats 3 times as tedious to farm as the baldur knights were. The guaranteed sword in the forest was great. This farming shit is inane. Black knight weapons weren't the reason to kill black knights, those guys dropped like 2k souls and titanite chunks. The DS2 equivalents are a joke.

Did you play DS1 on it's console launch? A lot of enemies (basically everything in the graveyard and new londo) gave like 1/4 the souls they do now. A skeleton that was 10 times more durable than a hollow soldier dropped half the souls. This is what 90% of DS2 feels like to me. There are pinata enemies and filler enemies, and it's mostly the latter. Especially after SotFS it seems.

Arnust

Savant
r-wielding Dragon Knights you'd have a point, as they literally attack endlessly and-
They are also WAAAAY nerfed in SOTFS, as well as reduced in the already small number. They are definitely still ridiculous though but there's a world of difference.

Also I'm not even gonna adress Damned. You're fully right into have not liked the arguably in ways inferior experience, but don't pass it as fact. This dissonance between hating and wanting effort for rewards is uncanny. You're completely missing the point. Nobody has even talked about difficulty, they've talked CONTENT, and that's simply objectively one of DS2's strengths and DS3's weaknesses respectively, and while that doesn't indicate quality per sé, it sure as shit helps.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
He grabbed me at the end of the SECOND roll. There's no better timing to be had. I was absurdly far away after rolling as early as possible. The only safe way to fight him was to not attack unless he was on his ass or from behind while he was swinging at air. And for what? 1k souls? Who fucking cares. Old knights die in 1/4 the time, pose no threat, and give 400.
First one blocks the Stone Ring, which is immense for Staggering enemies in this game. Also invaluable for PvP if you make a Dex build. Killing the second gives you access to changing your gender, and the Ladle, the ultimate challenge weapon. :positive:

He grabbed me at the end of the SECOND roll. There's no better timing to be had. I was absurdly far away after rolling as early as possible
That's the thing, his grab has longer distance than it looks because he's fat. You need to be dodging during the swipe, not dodging when you think you're out of range. It's the same mistake I made for quite some time, and made me rage like a motherfucker. That's most of this game, really. They made dodging much more difficult, especially at low levels when your Agility sucks. You need to time your rolls, and avoid the attack, rather than dodging to get out of the perceived range like you did in DS1. You can of course, come back and kill him, when you're higher levels, and better equipped. No shame in that either.

I'm not going to farm an enemy thats 3 times as tedious to farm as the baldur knights were
Did you play DS1 on it's console launch?
Yeah, and I remember as many, if not more, threads across various fora asking about the number of Baldur Knights you have to kill for the Sword when compared to the Heide Knight set. :)

A lot of enemies (basically everything in the graveyard and new londo) gave like 1/4 the souls they do now
Double-Edged sword, unfortunately. In SotFS this is probably a good thing, since I would say it was made mostly for series' veterans, and allowed people to get to Straid with a very low Soul Memory, for that ring which prevents you from absorbing Souls.

Arnust

Savant
You could also use your rolls to move out of the way of you've got a small % of equip weight, to roll further faster. There's actually no I-frame difference but it can feel better. I usually try staying just under 60%.

Also I must admit that I preferred for the Heide knight drops to be consistent, but in the other hand having to use Ascetics for certain drops with non respawning Knights for the armor was plain annoying. And the Heide Sword was a bit too good for the ease of access. And the Heide great Lance, aside of being kind of shit, was still RNG based.

Damned Registrations

That's the thing, his grab has longer distance than it looks because he's fat. You need to be dodging during the swipe, not dodging when you think you're out of range. It's the same mistake I made for quite some time, and made me rage like a motherfucker. That's most of this game, really. They made dodging much more difficult, especially at low levels when your Agility sucks. You need to time your rolls, and avoid the attack, rather than dodging to get out of the perceived range like you did in DS1. You can of course, come back and kill him, when you're higher levels, and better equipped. No shame in that either.
This just seems like bullshit to me though. His swipe takes like 3 seconds. My Iframes cover like 5% of that. So... which 1/20th of the swipe do I dodge? It's totally fucking arbitrary. Since it's a OHKO, I'm just supposed to zerg rush this fucker, changing my dodging timing by a couple frames every attempt to learn this one attack? So I can get 1k souls (the river ogre I'm talking about here, he has no drop and is the first one you face with more than a broken sword as the warrior class or whatever it was.) Terrible design. And this isn't a matter of more or less difficulty. Giving the ogre more or less damage or hp or whatever would change the difficulty, but it's still a bullshit way of fighting, just like the Heide knights. This isn't the same as learning to dodge a sword swing by timing the roll to match the part of the swing that would touch you. This is timing a roll to hit an invisible window where the grab activates. No amount of caution or observation will save you, you need to be either stupidly lucky or trial and error'd this shit.

Also, stone ring is a joke. Yeah it's great for pvp if you're using a 20 million hit combo weapon. Vs normal enemies it's a joke. It'll change things from staggering an enemy when it has 10% hp left to staggering it when it has 30% hp left. Big fucking deal. Poise in DS2 is like trying to bleed things in DS1. Sure, technically if you focus on it real fucking hard you can get it to happen, but it'd take 1/3 as many hits to just kill the fuckers if you focus on damage. It's a better troll than the pendant.

Edit: This sin't the ogre but it's the same shit:

Now, I remember doing a magic only run and killing this fucker with a slow ass soul arrow. I know he has easy patterns and is a total joke if you learn the correct direction to strafe and which combo you can attack (or, I dunno, do 2-3 gestures and quaff some estus) after safely. But when you're going in blind, this kind of shit is retarded. If you're going to make the move that insane, make it look that insane. Give him some stupid vacuum animation or something. Make the ogre charge forward before finishing the grab. Don't make it blatantly miss and then add the hitbox way after and in a huge radius.

Last edited:

Arnust

Savant
Easy. You MOVE away of his move, or, if you're very daring, block. Trial and error, experimentation and observation helped me. As you know, the learning curve of even the shittiest of these games.

Why are you talking like you've got... ANY idea? For one, the Stone ring is a ring when you got none by then, it helps to stagger enemies when you don't have the damage to DPS them and later it'll make stun locking way more reliable. All a fucking ring is supposed to do. I'm not sure it even has + versions. At least it's not like the DS3 wood grain ring which literally does nothing.

Figuring out on what direction to strafe in is ridiculously easy even if you don't have the intuition of just staying on their sword arm; you can go left or right, it's not rocket science. And either works for as long as you're dodging him well, be it by baiting to do the dash or the combo, whatever.

Ogres jump to do the grab. I can't say much more about that, because that's how it is. I'm not sure why you are anywhere else but his sides and back, considering his only defense there is to try and attack frontally or do the extremely easy to dodge butt stomp. I think he can roll sideways in a similar fashion, but if it's rare enough for me not to remember I don't think it'd be a problem for any new player. And yes, the grab is oddly big. Move back. Move sideways. Just don't fucking stay still and then Moab about it. Dark Souls used to be about finding opportunities to hit, not a game of seeing how fast can you kill the mobs before they can even show off.

praetor

Arcane
Poise in DS2 is like trying to bleed things in DS1.

besides all your other incredibly retarded bullshit, this is how i know you have either never played any of the games and just watched some youtube LPs, or your IQ is somehow below 0 (congrats on this momentous achievement. books will be written about it). i'm replaying DS1 right now (not DSR) and enemies bleed like motherfuckers. pretty much any "fleshy" enemy with a big enough health pool will be bled if you don't play like a moron and hit once every 3 weeks because you're too much of a scrub to play like a man. it takes me roughly 4-5 hits with a +6 or 7 (can't be fucked to remember) Iaito to kill a manserpent, and bleed always procs on the 3rd or 4th hit (depending how fast i can combo them). and yeah, poise in DS2 works almost exactly as it does in DS1 (except it's only "active" during actions that aren't walking or running so you can't just poisestab shit to infinity like a little pussy)

you have not written a single true word, and whenever you're proven wrong you try to move goalposts like the most blithering moron in the most fetid of the cesspools and come up with easily disprovable bullshit to try and support your inane fantasies.

Damned Registrations

Helps to stagger enemies how? Do you actually have any idea what you're talking about? How many hits do you think it takes to stagger an enemy? Why would you care if it took 8 hits to stagger an enemy instead of 10 when the enemy dies in 12 hits?

Damned Registrations

it takes me roughly 4-5 hits with a +6 or 7 (can't be fucked to remember) Iaito to kill a manserpent, and bleed always procs on the 3rd or 4th hit (depending how fast i can combo them)
Grats, the one fucking enemy in the game this is mildly helpful on. Name me an enemy in darkroot garden that bleeds. In the archives. In anor londo. In the demon ruins. Tomb of giants. Catacombs. Undead Burg. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Yeah, you can technically bleed the knight guarding the fire keeper's soul before the gargoyles. It takes like 16 hits. You'll never do it unless you're on some sort of bandit knife run.

praetor

Arcane
it takes me roughly 4-5 hits with a +6 or 7 (can't be fucked to remember) Iaito to kill a manserpent, and bleed always procs on the 3rd or 4th hit (depending how fast i can combo them)
Grats, the one fucking enemy in the game this is mildly helpful on. Name me an enemy in darkroot garden that bleeds. In the archives. In anor londo. In the demon ruins. Tomb of giants. Catacombs. Undead Burg. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Yeah, you can technically bleed the knight guarding the fire keeper's soul before the gargoyles. It takes like 16 hits. You'll never do it unless you're on some sort of bandit knife run.

here you go you fucking moron: the rolling cats in darkroot, the crappy phantom guardians in darkroot, the berenike knights, the guarians in anor londo (played a couple of hours ago so it's pretty fucking fresh in my memory: about 3 hits to proc bleed unless youre Damned Registrations, because damn having a working brain is fucking hard), taurus and capra demons in demon ruins, nothing in the burg because everything dies in 2 hits even if you fart, and nothing in tomb of giants and catacombs because apparently you don't know what "fleshy" means. and these are just off of the top of my head of stuff that i bled in the last couple of days. and that's with a regular iaito, not the gold tracer or lifehunt scythe

i'd call you fucking stupid once more, but it seems we're now beyond that, so i'm eager what kind of easily disprovable bullshit you'll pull out of your putrid ass this time in support of your lies

Damned Registrations

So like, 5% of the enemies in those areas? Thanks for making my point. Totally worth going bleed for those two cats in darkroot that you don't even need to fight. Not like a claymore kills them in far fewer hits with the exact same fucking stat investment, while also staggering shit and killing the other 95% of enemies significantly faster.

You know what, I'll make this easy for you. I'll give up and leave in shame if you can tell me of an enemy and weapon combination where the stone ring makes a difference. Tell me who to hit with what weapon with and without the stone ring and I'll go do it and be amazed at how it lets me stagger him when I couldn't before. Because I swear to god I played the whole game with and without it and couldn't tell the fucking difference.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

I gotta say Catacombs of Carthus might be the easiest catacomb themed level in all 3 DS games.

Also, playing through DS3 again also really showcases the big problem DS3 has with bosses. Let's see.

Bosses I've beaten so far: Iudex Gundyr, Vordt, Greatwood, Crystal Sage, Deacons of the Deep, Abyss Watchers, Wolnir.

Out of these...

Great bosses: Abyss Watchers

Good bosses: Iudex, Vordt, Crystal Sage

Shit bosses: Greatwood, Deacons, Wolnir

DS3 is seriously the most hit and miss of the trilogy when it comes to bosses. There were as many shit bosses so far as there were good ones, and only one great boss battle, which are the Abyss Watchers. I don't know what happened to Fromsoft here because they had always been better than this at boss battle design. DS3 bosses seem to often feel gimmicky and boring (TARGET THE WEAK SPOT, THE EGG SACKS! CHASE A LITTLE RED BALL AROUND! TARGET THE WEAK SPOT AGAIN, THIS TIME IT'S THE SHACKLES).

The level design has mostly been good and sometimes even great, but the bosses are a serious disappointment in general.

Damned Registrations

I feel like Deacons would have been decent if they just tuned the hp up enough to make it an actual race, like 4 kings. The basic premise of it being a timed fight is really cool. Wolnir... I dunno. It's some weird artsy thing like Yhorm and Bed of Chaos. Greatwood wasn't a terrible boss, it's nice that ranged characters actually have an advantage for once in forever considering 90% of the series just holds up a shield and laughs at them.

I don't recall much of Carthus, but DS1 catacombs are by far the easiest in the series once you know where to fall. Takes like less than 2 minutes to reach pinwheel, and he's a joke too, even at lvl 1. I used to rush him all the time for this reason when I was trying out new builds. Lotsa free souls (even more if you grabbed the items in the tomb) and kindling is almost as OP as buying healing items.

Jezal_k23

Sure you can skip the whole Catacombs in DS1 easily. But I guess I meant in terms of actually playing through it without skipping, DS1 and DS2 Catacombs both might be harder than DS3 Catacombs. Catacombs of Carthus is so short, just when you feel you're really getting into it, it ends.

Hyperion

Arcane
Since we got the obligatory Pursuer GIF out of the way, without further ado....

...Those hitboxes. My Goodness! :shredder:

:positive:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So I went and beat Cathedral of the Deep and Farron Keep today. Had a lot of fun with both, though the cathedral annoyed me a bit more because of the great shield enemies. I thought I broke Patches for a while until I looked it up and saw where he went off to. Also, I saw a quick video of the Abyss Watchers and assumed it was going to be a bunch of knights ganging up on me so I summoned the two npc phantoms. I feel like I ruined the fight for myself a bit now because the second phase looked like a ton of fun to fight solo. A pity I can't redo it. Ah well. Now to decide whether to go with the Farron Greatsword or the Wolf Knight's Greatsword.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
A friend of mine bought DS1 Remaster despite himself. Stayed low level, got himself something like chaos blade + 5 and started invading. And what do you know, he was only matched with people who had similar level of weapon. Goodbye DS1 mechanics, DS3 popamole shit is here. No more Undead Burg Area Rapist, no more Original Bridge Stalker. Friendship with core audience over, casuls and kids are From's friends now.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
There were some pretty dumb bonfire decisions in DS3, for sure.

For example, you have Wolnir's bonfire and then 50 feet away, another bonfire for Irthyll. Also, Smouldering Lake has the bonfire at the bottom the ladder, then another bonfire for no fucking reason right across the water. And you have Crystal Sage, then a bonfire at the steps of the Cathedral. Too close, too many. No reason for this -- especially with fucking fast travel!

Damned Registrations

Can someone explain to me the butthurt over bonfires being too close to eachother when there's nothing to fight in between them? I don't get it.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
He only matched with people who had a similar level of weapon because everyone who stays on low levels are high experienced players trying to do the same shit as your pal. For example, everyone is rushing the catacombs to get the fuckin Gravelord sword.

Your friend suffered the destiny he had planned for those poor casuls. Next time go to Ooacile to fight people like you as a real man yo fags

Can someone explain to me the butthurt over bonfires being too close to eachother when there's nothing to fight in between them? I don't get it.

Well, that's the problem with those bad placed bonfires in DS3. They're pretty much useless.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Well, that's the problem with those bad placed bonfires in DS3. They're pretty much useless.
Well sure but... plenty of things are useless. Fading souls, broken weapons, various junk items including literal rubbish. We don't get a post every 3 days about how Dark Souls is a terrible game because of how terrible Flash Sweat or Guidance is. Why all the rage over some extra bonfires? They don't make the game any easier, they're basically just a thematic thing that all the bosses do. You don't even need to light them.

I get the impression people wish the bonfires at the start of areas were in the middle of areas instead, but that'd make the game significantly easier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom