Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

L'Montes

Educated
I'm thinking of creating a new character now that I'm almost done with my current run and have some knowledge about the game. I want to do some form of challenge run though, just so I don't go into the same routine of throwing on havel's ring and the heaviest armor I can wear. Aside from that, I know I'm not touching the dragonslayer axe this time just to mix things up but that's all I got. I think I'm going to start as a thief for now and see where that gets me.

EDIT: I saw this being brought up in one of the threads but DS3 doesn't tie an NPC's quest progression to summoning them like in DS2 does it? If not, then no summons is definitely on the table to start.

Sometimes just giving yourself arbitrary stat restrictions can help (as if you were trying to adhere to a class restriction). So, if you're playing a thief, say you won't level STR past the starting value (9) or VIT past the starting value of 9. This still gives you flexibility to work as a speedy thief type in a few different ways, but makes armor or heavy/high-str weapons a no-go.

You can do a similar thing when trying to force yourself into a restricted/caster-type playthrough, as Sorcerers/Clerics both can get somewhat hamstrung for actual weapons if forced to keep their Str/Dex at starting values (though this can be a good thing too, so your would-be squishy Sorcerer isn't able to easily wield things like a sword).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
There's a decent number of mods for all the games now as well, if you really want to mix things up.

Aside from stat restrictions, other popular ideas are doing no block or no dodge runs, and being restricted to a single weapon or class of weapons.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I want to do some form of challenge run though...

...I think I'm going to start as a thief
Nope. Thief is overpowered. 35 Luck + Bandit knife + bleed infusion = opposition exploding like sacks of blood in those B samurai movies. Oh and you also have the knife drifting weapon art that's also ridiculously useful in PvE.
Huh didn't expect the thief would be that strong. I'll keep the character around for fun anyway but that won't be my challenge character.

No, but you have to summon "yourself" into other worlds for Sirris' quest several times. I think that's it. Oh, and Cuculus's unique items are unlocked only by having her survive tyenfight you can use her for.
Oh good. That's the main reason I've been summoning so much because I thought you had to. I can live without Cuculus's stuff.

Sometimes just giving yourself arbitrary stat restrictions can help (as if you were trying to adhere to a class restriction). So, if you're playing a thief, say you won't level STR past the starting value (9) or VIT past the starting value of 9. This still gives you flexibility to work as a speedy thief type in a few different ways, but makes armor or heavy/high-str weapons a no-go.

You can do a similar thing when trying to force yourself into a restricted/caster-type playthrough, as Sorcerers/Clerics both can get somewhat hamstrung for actual weapons if forced to keep their Str/Dex at starting values (though this can be a good thing too, so your would-be squishy Sorcerer isn't able to easily wield things like a sword).
I might do this in regards to vit since I planned on dropping heavy armor anyway.

There's a decent number of mods for all the games now as well, if you really want to mix things up.

Aside from stat restrictions, other popular ideas are doing no block or no dodge runs, and being restricted to a single weapon or class of weapons.
I actually own the PS4 version since I wanted a physical copy. A no block run could be fun but no dodging sounds like the most masochistic thing in existence.

So right now I'm undecided on a class but I'm thinking between assassin, herald, sorcerer or cleric, since my current class is pyromancer. I might just narrow it down to assassin or herald later since I don't know how heavily I want to lean on spells. My current ideas are
-No heavy armor or weapons. I'm thinking of a weight limit of 20 on armor sets, though as I just found out that cuts out a LOT of armor sets whose weight sits at 20.1-5, including the herald's default armor. No idea what a weight limit for weapons would be right now but removing all weapons with a great prefix would be a start.
-No havel's ring. I've used it in nearly every playthrough I can think of in a souls game so I definitely feel like it's time for a change.
-No using any of the main weapons I'm currently using. Includes dragonslayer's axe, falchion, black knight sword, and old wolf curved sword off the top of my head. Might include the broadsword as well.

I'm not sure if I want to be a full on caster in a no summon run, but it may not be too bad.

Wunderbar

Arcane
So right now I'm undecided on a class but I'm thinking between assassin, herald, sorcerer or cleric
try cleric. Miracles are really bad in this game, would be a nice challenge run :smug:

80Maxwell08 , use the Flynn ring, it will motivate you to stay lightweight.
Of all DS3 rings that were nerfed into oblivion, Flynn ring is the most useless, tbh. It's just not good.

Jezal_k23

Been going through Ringed City and disappointed so far.

I started it, then it was all DODGE THE PROJECTILES BEING SHOT FROM THE SKY!!!!!! Then EXPLORE TEH SWAMP WHILE DODGING PROJECTILES!!!!!!! Then a good bossfight with the Demons/Demon Prince. Then it was all DODGE PROJECTILES FROM A SHITLOAD OF ARCHERS!!!!!!1 and then bonfire (thats where I stopped for now). I sense a pattern here and I don't like it.

So far I can't believe Ashes of Ariandel is known as the shitty DLC while Ringed City is the good one.

Jezal_k23

This DLC truly knows what Dark Souls is all about: running from safe place to safe place like a little bitch. Amazing 10/10.

L'Montes

Educated
-No heavy armor or weapons. I'm thinking of a weight limit of 20 on armor sets, though as I just found out that cuts out a LOT of armor sets whose weight sits at 20.1-5, including the herald's default armor. No idea what a weight limit for weapons would be right now but removing all weapons with a great prefix would be a start.
-No havel's ring. I've used it in nearly every playthrough I can think of in a souls game so I definitely feel like it's time for a change.
-No using any of the main weapons I'm currently using. Includes dragonslayer's axe, falchion, black knight sword, and old wolf curved sword off the top of my head. Might include the broadsword as well.

Don't forget you can mix and match armor pieces too. You can use the Herald chest-piece (for example) with lighter gloves/helm/boots. Or... you could also commit to a heavier roll (it's own sort of difficulty if you're used to fast-rolling), and arguably it's a little weird for plate-armored people to be rolling around so much.

From your weapon history, committing to a dagger or rapier build would keep you both light and outside the wheelhouse of the axe/straight-sword/curved-sword movesets you had in the past. You could try two-handing one of the spears too.

Jezal_k23

Wtf is going on with this DLC, is the city really a swamp? I imagined something like Irythill.

BTW their next Souls game (they said this isn't the last) better have no swamps. That trope is played out. I'd be happy with no dragons too.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

I started it, then it was all DODGE THE PROJECTILES BEING SHOT FROM THE SKY!!!!!! Then EXPLORE TEH SWAMP WHILE DODGING PROJECTILES!!!!!!! Then a good bossfight with the Demons/Demon Prince. Then it was all DODGE PROJECTILES FROM A SHITLOAD OF ARCHERS!!!!!!1 and then bonfire (thats where I stopped for now). I sense a pattern here and I don't like it.

So far I can't believe Ashes of Ariandel is known as the shitty DLC while Ringed City is the good one.

Ashes of Ariandel is way better. I don't understand why it's shit on. The snowy setting is a nice change from most other Souls locations and it has 1 awesome boss (in fact, not just awesome, but up there with the best of the series) and 1 OK boss. What more could you want?

Wunderbar

Arcane
I don't understand why it's shit on.
- it wasn't as lengthy as any of DaS2 lost crowns dlcs;
- painted world concept is rehash;
- one of the bosses is literally just a NPC with mob who we fought earlier.

Ashes of Ariandel is better than Ringed City for sure.

Arnust

Savant
Each of both DLC is terrible on its own way. Obviously having been one single big DLC/chunk of the main game is one issue, another being that each has a mechanic that SHOULD have been in the base game and isn't even capitalized on inside the DLC (Arena and Boss respawning). Or each having only one original, worth it boss, and Friede barely counds being Lady Maria and Smough.

In more sad news, this is gonna be the last of JellyElite's DS3 videos. Pretty sure Yung Maestro already stopped as well.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Ringed city is garbage that is only ever praised by people who somehow think that souls games should be nothing but boss fights (because that DLC does have good boss fights honestly).
Some of those people are even on the codex and bitching when the content is not going from a boss to another :
Once you've killed an enemy once or twice in these games, it's really just a chore to do it again.
Of course, when looking at the absolute garbage of level design that was DS3, killing critters isn't interesting because the level design doesn't even try to encourage you to do it anyway. It's normal to get bored of killing the same enemies when the environment and enemy placement doesn't throw some curveballs at you the way, say, Sen's Fortress in DS1 or Iron Keep does in DS2.

This DLC truly knows what Dark Souls is all about: running from safe place to safe place like a little bitch. Amazing 10/10.

Dark Souls 3 even went out of its way to teach new players that enemies don't need to be killed and skipping is a good strategy for exploration.. remember the area outside of the cathedral early in the game? Yeah, that infinite respawn garbage. I believe that mechanic exists solely so that people who are clueless understand there is no reason to slay everything in your way.

BTW their next Souls game (they said this isn't the last) better have no swamps. That trope is played out. I'd be happy with no dragons too.

Sekiro could always do a reduced movement area like a rice field to fit the theme, being set in a very Japanese/rural-ish setting.

I don't understand why it's shit on.
- it wasn't as lengthy as any of DaS2 lost crowns dlcs;
- painted world concept is rehash;
- one of the bosses is literally just a NPC with mob who we fought earlier.

Ashes of Ariandel is better than Ringed City for sure.

No DLC was ever as good as DS2's DLC to be honest.
I don't feel AoA is that bad though. Painted world is a rehashed concept, sure, but the area actually feels unique in terms of encounter and general level design. It's not as good as the crown dlcs, but is it really inferior to DS1's DLC? That one had some amazing bosses, but it was just that. The first area is a forest with absolutely trash enemies and boring encounter design with little synergy between groups of enemies. The second is okay-ish, while the last one is just one big dark room with mostly humanity sprite and one gank that guard a spell. It was very uninspired shit tbh. It's meant to be end game content (clearly, with the amount of hp Kalameet and Manus have, it's not going to be the most fun with an unupgraded weapon) but like much of DS1's late game stuff, the areas fall flat on their face. Duke's Archives is arguably the only good area post Sen's Fortress.
Also the idea of encountering an enemy multiple times as long as it's not overused isn't bad in itself. But I'm probably one of the few who found the Pursuer thing neat in DS2 SOTFS. In a game that ties lore to pure gameplay mechanics (respawning after death for example) and that has such high level magic within the setting, it makes sense that some foes would not always just cease to even try after a single defeat, or flee (like the wolf does in AoA).

AoA suffers most from its lack of length. It's kinda bad I admit for the price. But what content it does have, it's generally superior to both DS3's main game, DS1's late game and DLC areas. It doesn't reach the peak of DS2 DLC but it's not so bad that it deserves constant bashing imho.
I admit I really have a soft spot for it, but that's because after the general mediocrity of DS3's levels it felt like a breath of fresh air. Easily the best content there is for that game, although you could interpret that as damning with faint praise eh.

and Friede barely counds being Lady Maria and Smough.

The only move she has that is reminiscent of maria is her jump attack. That's it.

In the same year that Blood and Wine was released no less.

I would take 1 hour of DS content over 1000h of twitcher.

Arnust

Savant
The only move she has that is reminiscent of maria is her jump attack. That's it.
Shit, I forgot the Priscilla part as well.

I would take 1 hour of DS content over 1000h of twitcher.
That's still bad value.

But anyway, I don't see anything particularly good. Outright, most items and spells from it stink. The Vilhelm armor is awesome even if the neck is fucked in the same way that the Silver/Black Knight helmets are, making your cranium smaller somehow. And the Millwood Axe is a nice twink weapon. Millwood bow is the one STR Greatbow, too.

And for starters, it HAD to take in a fucking "Painted World of Aria-" you know, the IDEA of most DLC's ever, Souls being no exception, is that they're supposed to not only be a departure from its own game but its series. Okay, that's not an objective flaw, but still. The main game had enough snow, swamps, dinghy towns full of trash mobs punctuated by tougher ones, dark catacombs, and CATHEDRALS. I guess that "forest" is an entirely new concept as for Ds3 is concerned, if you don't count the Crucifixion Woods/Farron Swamp.

Now, how about the layout? Well, that's pretty much the only thing it has going for it for me, and that's hardly much to go on. It only has one real alternate path, the area with the Millwood Knights. And an optional "area", the ravine section. While it all loops back, it's mostly pointless as when it does you've... already beaten the DLC, or most of it. So it's pointless. In that linear path that's left beyond that, it's alright. It's not a bad... 1.5 areas. They have some new enemy designs and cool bits of level designm like the Corvine enemies or the roofs of the town being a part of the level.

Boss wise, Friede is also a decent boss. Just overly familiar, and if playing with your brain on not all that complicated at all. It's just that it's one of the few bosses to whom the game speed seems actually compatible with. Coming second, there's the Gravetender and Sif's Cousin. Incredibly mediocre fight. The NPC does have a unique moveset due to how the weapon works, even if being resisting to being hit in most attack animations is kind of bullshit. Sadly, it's ruined by unnecesarily being player-sized and having little other AI than one of a phantom. And for SOME REASON, he's wearing the shittiest looking mismatched armor. Which seems to have little importance in itself, despite how abysmal it is. If the idea is to downplay it, why is it in such a dramatic arena with such epic music and he doesn't act pathethic at all? Then the wolf comes around, with the same moveset as you fought it eralier, which means you can hurt it up to having 50% less health for the bossfight. I also liked the Pursuer fight idea, but encountering and fighting them as you find them has its own rewards, and it's not among them "makes a shitty boss even more of a pushaover". Anyway, it berserks (power of the abyss? Do I care?) when it has like 10% health left and bye, doggy. Oh, I forgot there were some normal wolves along the Gravetender. There's that.

Lastly, there's the lore, I guess. Apparently this and here is the true ending of the series. Okay.

Oh, and there's the added arena. It's pretty nice to go in and pwn some noobz for a little while. The connectivity and modes are pretty nice. Pity that it's so haphazardly implemented, in a paid piece of content with no apparent deadline. Absolutely NOTHING in the arena rewards anything at all, except cosmetic little medals that only others can see and not yourself. And I'm not sure how those even work. Would it have been THAT hard to get some souls per kill/game creating some sort of score. Would it have been THAT hard for it to be tied to physical objects like all previous arenas, instead of being ENTIRELY menu based, ideally along a Covenant? Apparently not, even if there's the whole left wing of the upper floor at firelink, and plenty more space to fit one or two other NPC's related to it. Hell, if your build depends on items that you'll have to rebuy, if all you want to do is arena fighting, you have to come back out, farm, then come back with supplies. All that disregarding that Ds3 PvP is dogshit in the first place, of course.

If its purpose along the "narrative" of the DLC is to build up the Ringed City, which only does by introducing Gael, well they mostly fucked that one up. At least they give you like 3 Titanite Slabs, I guess.

Ultimately, it's 15 bucks for 2-3 hours. As much as I hate The Ringed City, it's hardly better than it in the value/content sense. Even if you only play for bosses, it's got more. Even if you only play for the lore, there's more. Even if you play just to see waifus, it's got more. At least, if you're a sly fox, you can try beat it under the Steam Refund policy margin and then refund, and use Cheat Engine to give yourself its items, I guess.

Last edited:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Much of the criticism would have been valid when they released artorias of the abyss too. PC players didn't have to buy it but people on console did and was it really much better value than this? Items wise there wasn't much going apart from something that really shouldn't have been introduced into the game to begin with, dark magic. The tracers weapons are okay but they're more interesting for their look than their moveset or damage. Level design wise it's nothing to speak of as are the new enemies introduced. It too introduced an arena for DS1 like Ashes did for DS3 and it wasn't any more special either. It was really only worth existing for the memorable boss fights.

My point is, DS2 was more of the exception rather than the rule in how much care was put into the DLC content.

All that disregarding that Ds3 PvP is dogshit in the first place, of course.

Souls PVP in general is dogshit. It's just for fucking around, people who take it too seriously need to get checked.

If its purpose along the "narrative" of the DLC is to build up the Ringed City, which only does by introducing Gael, well they mostly fucked that one up. At least they give you like 3 Titanite Slabs, I guess.

It's more like the other way around. Gael is but the vehicle for gathering the material (the dark soul) to create the next world. In terms of importance the fate of literally everything is in the hand of the nameless painter girl who resides in the painted world of ariandel. When you kill gael you can bring back the blood of the dark soul to her. Well, the lore of DS3 in general went off the deep ends and feels very much tryhard so I won't debate this too much, but basically DS3's world is nearing its end, The Ringed City has you travel forward in time to when Gael has consumed the dark soul out of almost everything that had a fragment of it in the universe. And what do you do when you get your hands on it? you give it to the painter. This ain't your previous little painted world she's going to create, that's for sure.

The area also adds some more backstory to the more interesting characters of DS3 : Pontiff Sulyvahn, the faction of Londor (friede is Yuria's sister and she has more dialogue when you have completed the dlc, beside the stuff you can read on item descriptions. The three sisters were the founders of the church of londor. It was interesting to see a founding member part and decide to do their own thing).

As much as I hate The Ringed City, it's hardly better than it in the value/content sense.

Whatever content was in TRC was so obnoxious outside of the boss fights I can hardly agree with this. It easily qualifies as the worst DLC of all souls games without a doubt. It has not one, but two large open swampy areas of all things a DLC could have. I only even really started to enjoy the DLC when I finally left all the garbage levels, got to the elevator shortcut and could do Midir and then Gael one after the other. The DLC would actually be better if they removed literally everything and just ported you to the boss at this point because it's just sheer garbage all the way through. They even took the worst idea of DS2 of putting a crowd of obnoxious mobs around a place where you go to talk to a NPC, except this time it's a bunch of hp bloated harald knight and some cursed hollows. Even DS2's designers were willing to accept this was a sort of mistake by making them passive in SOTFS (Straid's room).

Even if you only play for the lore, there's more

Well, you get to see the pygmies.. and not really learn much about them. You're ported far into the future when you meet gael but there isn't a single mention of WTF is actually happening anywhere in the game, Filianore has to be the only instance of such an important character in the series to be basically paperthin in terms of actual lore content in the game, even by souls's standards which tend to go for obscure and vague. Not even the chronicle lore masturbators have anything of value to make up dig up here. Usually the truly important events were never that obscure. You go back into the past in DS1 because Manus felt the presence of the pendant on you, a token of his obsessions that are all that remain in his broken humanity. It is him that transcends time and brings you to his domain. It's not particularly riveting, but it fits. And there's plenty said about manus in the game and the people involved in his story. You time travel, but there is a motive, a mean and a how given to you.

TRC goes like :
random hollow tells you to seek filianore. Slumber is a deceit blahblah. You meet her, she awakens and then time fucks. Why, how, what, there's none of it. She just is, and she just breaks time, because, don't fucking ask reasons you stinky hollow.
In the end, it's more like TRC's entirety that is but an excuse to go meet Gael.

But, well, it's a fitting ending for Dork Souls 3 to see that kind of "content" as the final word on it.

Last edited:

80Maxwell08

Arcane

Don't forget you can mix and match armor pieces too. You can use the Herald chest-piece (for example) with lighter gloves/helm/boots. Or... you could also commit to a heavier roll (it's own sort of difficulty if you're used to fast-rolling), and arguably it's a little weird for plate-armored people to be rolling around so much.

From your weapon history, committing to a dagger or rapier build would keep you both light and outside the wheelhouse of the axe/straight-sword/curved-sword movesets you had in the past. You could try two-handing one of the spears too.
I could mix and match but I like my armor to match. I got bored and decided to make both an assassin and herald since both have enough of a spread to not confine me to one playstyle immediately. Mind you, I dropped that herald's spear as fast as I could run to the astora straight sword because how little I could stand it. I may grab a halberd instead though. So far, the assassin is ok at least, though I don't know how long I'll keep the estoc.

L'Montes

Educated
80Maxwell08 not to go too fashion-souls on you, but there's a fair number of gear pieces that blend very well across sets. That's fashion souls in a nutshell really, the blending of various pieces in a way that looks aesthetically pleasing.

Obviously some pieces look incredibly jarring when placed together, so the challenge is to find things that mesh well. There's actually some nice attention to detail on the meshing of some of the pieces, gloves going inside coat sleeves, or helms/hoods connecting with chest pieces intelligently. With the Herald chest in particular, I recall finding various decent pieces that gelled with it when I did my low-level cleric playthrough.

Try to spend at least a little time adapting to new weapons. It's always easier to fall back to things like the straight sword that are easy/accessible. The estoc is possibly not the most representative of thrusting swords either.

All that said, it's ultimately about what you find enjoyable, not me.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
DhgJgJRW0AA_-b9.jpg

Silva

Arcane

I could mix and match but I like my armor to match. I got bored and decided to make both an assassin and herald since both have enough of a spread to not confine me to one playstyle immediately. Mind you, I dropped that herald's spear as fast as I could run to the astora straight sword because how little I could stand it. I may grab a halberd instead though. So far, the assassin is ok at least, though I don't know how long I'll keep the estoc.
Aesthetically speaking the assassin has a logic progression to the Lothric Black Hands armor and weapons. Their big hat looks particularly badass imo, as is the settlement fat witch one (though this hat is hard to drop). Also, it could easily fit most lightweight fashion like the prince and firekeepers robes. Those Ariandel snow stalking farron followers also have some sleek fashion, Im using their boots and gloves on my thief and it's pretty sleek. And the corvine soldiers have sleek weapons too, like the talons and rapiers.

Arnust

Savant
Aesthetically speaking the assassin has a logic progression to the Lothric Black Hands armor and weapons. The big hat looks particularly badass imo, as does the settlement fat witch hat (though this one is hard to drop). Also, it could easily fit most lightweight fashion like robes like the prince robes or firekeeper's. Those Ariandel followers in the snow also have some sleek fashion, Im using their boots and gloves on my thief and it's pretty sleek.
For that style, "Noble" or whatever, I go with either of those hats (Crystal Sorcerer's hat isn't too bad earlier, as an early game hat ;)). Then the Leonhardt chest, then leonhardt/millwood/pretty much any decent looking set of gloves, and for the legs, as the coat covers most of them, I slapped some heavier armor over that with the Cathedral Knight leggings or any decent looking set of greaves. Faraam leggings is great for this kind of stuff, those leather boots are... :obviously: Weapons wise well that kind of Quality, fancy ass gear. I felt like most fine weapons fit with it, but I particularly liked the Follower Sabre for it.

Silva

Arcane
Arnust , my ideas were for a shadow person like a thief or assassin. The "noble" parts were just to give some style to it. But thanks for reminding me of Leonhardt, he has some cool pieces yeah. :P

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
For fashion souls though, few things will surpass Bloodborne. E.g: you can have a fucking Plague Doctor with Eileen mask and clothes, or Eileen mask + black church hunter body. And for "nobles" you have the vamp kingdom noble garment that can be combined with that badass silver armor.

But nothing in Souls series beats the gent: big top hat, long overcoat, leather boots and a fucking cane. Oh and monocles. Monocles is where it at. :obviously:

Jezal_k23

Finished Ringed "City" (actually it's the swamp DLC): disappointed overall. Good/great bosses, especially Gael. Overall the DLC didn't change my previous opinion of DS3, which is this is the least interesting game in the franchise so far, having some significant problems. The DLC could have improved my opinion of the package as a whole like DS2's did but the DLC with the good level AND boss design was indeed too short while the meatier one had shitty level design so I felt like I just wanted to get it over with (or get to the next boss battle asap, because they were a lot more fun than the levels themselves). So the base game is flawed, the DLC is flawed, nothing is entirely great at any one time, there's always something wrong with either the level I was currently playing (like the entirety of Ringed City) or the boss of the current level (especially in the base game, DLC was much better at bosses).

Of course this being a Souls game I still think it's worth playing and I did have a great time with it overall, even as I leave it with a feeling of disappointment.

Now, time to kill Gwyn again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom