Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Souls mouse and keyboard flamewar

LOL this place can be so goddamn retarded. Own both KB/M and gamepad and use whichever works best for you in a particular game. Isn't PC gaming about having more options? So much anger over nothing at all.

Cadmus

Arcane
Yeah, I also own a spoon with a hole in it in case my soup comes from an alternate universe and I need to consume it in a retarded way.

dunno lah

Arcane
The camera controls in Dark Souls is very much console-oriented, including its lock-on function. You can most definitely play games like these on KB+m. But there will always be this feeling inside that the camera should turn like how a PC FPS/TP actioner mouselook should.

I don't think Dark Souls is the type of game that shouldn't play well with kb/m if devs actually tried to adapt it well to it. Hell, if it was designed with PC controls in mind it could probably feature numerous improvements too. But it isn't that. It is what it is. And it's a very good game too. It's also only a fucking game so get a gamepad or play with inferior kb/m setups or don't play at all and shut the fuck up about it. This is one of the many ongoing arguments in Codex where I feel like both sides are fucking retarded.
Jasede is right about the fact that From Software were never even planning for it to get a PC release and only made the barebones port because of the successful internet petition. Hell, this is the only case I can remember of internet petition actually working. I would be more mad at them for releasing this port in that state if they had pretended to be making a proper PC version, but no, they said outright it's just gonna be a barebones port and they're only doing it because of petition and that we shouldn't expect it to play well with kb/m. So it is what it is. I'm just happy I got to play this game on PC because I'm certainly not about to buy any console. But I can definitely buy an alternative control device to kb/m for 30 fucking euros.

The devs are fucking retards though and the piece of shit unpatched game you get from steam should be strictly only pirated because it does not work out of the box, it's a bunch of crappy broken files you need to apply 30 mods to to get them working.

Could you please make a list of 30 mods you used? Thanks in advance. I was only aware of one that I needed, wondering what I missed. You can skip the dsfix and kb/m controls mods of course, just list the other 28. I bet other members would be grateful as well.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The camera controls in Dark Souls is very much console-oriented, including its lock-on function. You can most definitely play games like these on KB+m. But there will always be this feeling inside that the camera should turn like how a PC FPS/TP actioner mouselook should.

There really is no "camera" in this game. The lock on makes Dark Souls into something of a fighting game. That's why K/M is retarded, because you are not doing anything that requires aiming. The only exception might be bows, but who the fuck uses those except for that one random occasion?

A user named cat

Cannot into controller he says. Minor disabilities he says. Excuses.

Dexter

Arcane
m5AL1Lo.png

They couldn't make this shit any more clear, well they could but still. It was in a red box before Steam redesign. If you buy it expecting different it's your fault.

I think people bitching about Alternative control methods kind of miss the point of and fundamentally misunderstand PC gaming, being that it's customizable and has always been. From being able to buy shitty trackball mice in the 90s, to playing your Descent with a Joystick or having cheap PS/2 connector Gamepads connected to the sound card to 3D gaming and whatnot. Nobody used to complain about any of this back in the day, the consoles are supposed to be the ones constrained by platform limitations where you're stuck with a single input method. Nobody is hindering you to buy GamePads/Joysticks/HOTAS/Wheels etc. for PC. I can't wait for the whining from the same sector when people find out they won't be able to play some VR games like usual.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Try and play Dark Souls 2

Dark Souls 1 failed the "Can a left-handed keyboard+mouse player play this game?"-test, therefore a playthrough of DS2 is unlikely.

You're a leftie? So am I but I don't see a problem with playing the game...probably cause I somehow taught myself to move the keyboard a bit and use the middle finger of my left hand as my trigger while doing the 'WASD' with the right. Seems perfectly natural to me even though I get weird looks. But this is how I started from the first mouse days(funny as my first XT had a trackball and I used my right hand with that and the left with the keys) so I can imagine trying to play in the traditional way would feel like shit.

Still, with DS I hooked up a PS3 controller with a bluetooth dongle and some driver thing to fool the system it was an xbawks controller and that did the job. Game got a lot easier than with k/b+mouse. The only ARPG I lowered myself to use a controller for...

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Nah, see I own a Steam controller which made my DaS2 experience almost perfect (better than X360) but From deserves to eat a dick for what they did to PC players. KB&M IS the fucking default. If the game would only work with controllers, keep it console exclusive, then.

It's NOT okay to port something to the PC that doesn't work with the PC's default input. I really wish Steam refunds were a thing back then. From software would've been economically punished for their shenanigans.

What happened was a dickish decision. They saw the petitions for a PC port as a chance to do a lazy cash grab port. Dark Souls (both 1 and 2) porting is so fucking lazy, I don't even know where to begin. The game doesn't use the keyboard's strengths in ANY way, just remamps controller buttons to keyboard keys in the most idiotic fashion possible.

IMHO Witcher 3 at least tries to do proper porting. Controls are awkward because they ARE awkward with a controller too, not because the port was as half assed as possible. And you can accesss inventory by pressing "I", something that DaS can't do because From can't into PC.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I couldn't manage to play Dark Souls with Keyboard + Mouse so I had to borrow a PS3 controller with a broken L2 button. Imagine how that went! (I still finished the game with it though).

IMHO Witcher 3 at least tries to do proper porting. Controls are awkward because they ARE awkward with a controller too, not because the port was as half assed as possible.

Yes it's a lot better when game just has shit combat and controls badly with all devices. Consistency! Both console and PC players treated with same respect god damn it!

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
IMHO Witcher 3 at least tries to do proper porting. Controls are awkward because they ARE awkward with a controller too, not because the port was as half assed as possible.

Yes it's a lot better when game just has shit combat and controls badly with all devices. Consistency! Both console and PC players treated with same respect god damn it!

:notsureifserious:

There is no evidence that half assing a port magically improves the controller input. You're just spewing fanboyism. And, YES, I appreciate that CDPR actually gave a fuck about the PC version of its game. W3 has its problems, but Dark Souls levels of lazy porting isn't one of them.

Nah, see I own a Steam controller which made my DaS2 experience almost perfect (better than X360) but From deserves to eat a dick for what they did to PC players. KB&M IS the fucking default. If the game would only work with controllers, keep it console exclusive, then.

It's NOT okay to port something to the PC that doesn't work with the PC's default input. I really wish Steam refunds were a thing back then. From software would've been economically punished for their shenanigans.

What happened was a dickish decision. They saw the petitions for a PC port as a chance to do a lazy cash grab port. Dark Souls (both 1 and 2) porting is so fucking lazy, I don't even know where to begin. The game doesn't use the keyboard's strengths in ANY way, just remamps controller buttons to keyboard keys in the most idiotic fashion possible.

IMHO Witcher 3 at least tries to do proper porting. Controls are awkward because they ARE awkward with a controller too, not because the port was as half assed as possible. And you can accesss inventory by pressing "I", something that DaS can't do because From can't into PC.
:retarded:
Aside from durability bug on pc there was literally nothing wrong with ds2 port. 60 fps/1080p on my old toaster when ds1 couldnt keep steady 30 fps. Controls were much better this time with km+b and ui was improved.

And lol at twicher 3 shitty controls/combat. Its ok it sucks cause that was CdProjekt plan all along:M its sucks faggit cause they can neither copy DS combat properly nor come up with something good on their own.

I gave you the benefit of doubt, considering how idiotic your argument was...

Argument for what? If you are willing to take anything from my fucking around there it should be that I'd rather play shitty port of good game (provided there are fixes for it that don't require much of a hassle) than a good port of a bad/mediocre one. I'm not sure what exactly it is you are arguing for there, seems like something different than that.

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
Playing DD makes me want to play a DS game with M+K never using lock-on. Probably 2 so I won't have to do tightrope walking without analog movement.

How does Souls attack aiming work with M+K? I noticed in DD I really missed the ability to course-correct heavy movesets midswing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This splinter thread...

Look, fag-mos. As I said before I loathe controllers but the reality is Dark Souls plays best with one. Probably the only non-platformer game I use it for but it works. And there's a very simple fix to get it to run at 60 fps.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I believe they came out and said that was a mistake/automated program that flagged him. They wouldn't threaten a guy who increases sales of their game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom